Shell Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 20, 2018
1,442 Interview Reviews

3.3

Petroleum Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Shell in March 2017.

Interview

The Interview was very difficult and at times very confusing due to three people asking different questions and expecting the answer at the same time. Overall a very long process and no proper response at times by the recruiters

Interview Questions

• How do you fit into the company with your petroleum background   Answer Question

Petroleum Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Shell in September 2016.

Interview

I applied online and got a phone interview. The online test included behavior questions and mathematical questions. Phone interview were mostly behavior questions. I didn't pass the first phone interview but I heard that there will be a second interview if you pass.

Petrophysicist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Shell (Houston, TX).

Interview

Face to face with the manager. Followed by the scenario interview with HR person. Fun process if you don't make too much fuss about it. Interview was for the job that I knew I could handle and for the team that I knew before. I had an advantage of years of experience.

Interview Questions

• Imagine you are CEO of the stroller company and something bad happens to your product. What would you do?   1 Answer

Petrophysicist Interview

Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Shell (New Orleans, LA) in February 2013.

Interview

1) The first step to the Shell interview process is the online application. In this you include your resume. Candidates are screened based on GPA and work experience. If the minimum criteria is met you are invited to an online assessment.
    2) Next step is the online assessment. This is of two parts designed to familiarize you with the company and screen out more candidates at the same time. Both are online, of which one is a timed quantitative reasoning test. Remember that applications are not limited to just the results of the online assessment. If you do poorly but still have an impressive profile, you may still be called for a phone interview.
    3) During the phone interview your ability to answer behavioral questions in a descriptive systematic manner is evaluated. Questions are all read from a paper so as to maintain uniformity between all candidates. This phone interview can be very lengthy, mine took 2 hours and my interviewer was careful to write my responses down as I conveyed them. One added challenge during my phone interview was that the interviewer is from a country different than mine and discipline different than mine. This tests ability to communicate to a person from a different background.
    4) Final step of interview is the SRD (Shell Recruitment Day) which is a two day affair. Usually if you have made it that far it means that they want to hire you, and are looking for evidence that they should do so. During the first day you are taken out to dinner with some young professionals who are able to answer all your questions about the company and give you tips for your interview. Also you sit with your recruitment coordinator and play some informal games to get to know you better. The next day is a 8 am - 5 pm round of interviewing. Several tests to assess you as a person, and how you interact under pressure, as well as with others. The SRD is not something you can practice for believe me I tried. Just be yourself and make sure to speak up.
    5) Offer stage: Finally if you clear the interview process the recruitment coordinators try to match you up with the job type, and location that you want. This can take time and there are multiple discussions with asset managers before an offer is made. It is important to speak up if you have individual needs or concerns, and provisions will be made on a case by case basis.

The process takes time from start to finish it took me 3.5 months to the time I had my offer. From discussions with my HR person, I found that this was much longer than the norm. Many other posts have discussed the SRD in detail, which helped calm my nerves during my interview as I knew what I was getting into. I encourage all to apply for Shell, and wish you luck!

Interview Questions

• For me the most difficult was the group discussion, and trying to be heard. It was hard to know when to jump in and speak.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I interviewed at Shell (Houston, TX) in January 2013.

Interview

smooth and nice, but it will be ok for HR to ask you several normal questions. And the manager is pretty professional. I'm happy about the group members, most team members are friendly. Anyway, this is really a big company, and you will learn a lot from all kinds of situations.

Strategic Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Shell in May 2008.

Interview

I was initially contacted by a headhunter (on retainer) for the role. I had an initial in-person interview with the headhunter and then went on site for a 1:1 interview with the hiring manager. That same day I also had 3 interviews with the my would-be peers.

Interview Questions

• None -- it was really a straight-forward discussion of my background and how it did or did not fit their vision for the role.   Answer Question
    • None   Answer Question

Change Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Shell (Houston, TX) in February 2008.

Interview

heard about role, applied thru portal, nothing happened for weeks, then got call for interview. I was working on contract for the company. Do your research, find out what you can about the interviewers and company culture, etc. Use LinkedIn to talk with someone in the company. Great place to work!

Interview Questions

• There has been an incident, you are the crisis manager within the company. How would you handle this?   1 Answer

Another offer in different industry - looking to broaden my base

Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Shell (Indianapolis, IN) in May 2013.

Interview

It was an easy interview for a summer job. The interview is easy. Nothing extra hard. I went there and the manager called me into his office and asked me basic questions. He told me about the responsibilities and skills required to do the job well. It was fairly easy interview process. I was out of there with an offer under 30 minutes.

Interview Questions

• What's your related work experience?
      Have you ever worked at a convenient store before?   Answer Question

Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houma, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Shell (Houma, LA) in July 2013.

Interview

Interview process is entirely by telephone. No one lays eyes on you until your first day on the job.

Interview Questions

• All questions were relevant to the position and expected. No "difficult" questions.   Answer Question

Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Shell (Houston, TX) in March 2013.

Interview

best interview every ill say human resource union member and two operators very calm they all were very social they gave me all the information I needed about the company