Sony Electronics Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 30, 2018

2.9

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sony Electronics (Orlando, FL) in April 2010.

Interview

you will have 3 interviews as typical
    (1) the store manager will call you to do an initial phone interview and then bring you in to the store to do an onsite if they like your initial answers and resume
    --questions are very basic and follow a HR script
    (1) Best / Worst attribute
    (2)describe tough quest experience and how you handle / resolved it
    (3)worst customer experience and how did you resolve
    (4)how did you win over a customer
    (5)describe the selling process
    (6)how do you motivate / run a team
    --must be flexible to work 6am - 12am on any given day (projects / holidays)

they do not let you take more than 7 consective days off w/o Regional HR approval

bonus program is horrible, and they will tell you how to accelerate it and not be honest about the actual payouts

conditions: you will be interviewed at the store (mall locations) , it will be noisy and they will have to still stay by the store for customer issues, so be prepared to stop and start, they have no real office space in the stores to accommodate private areas

if you pass this you will talk to the Regional Mgr via phone (and if they have another candiate you will have a onsite with the Regional and conf call with HR) - HR has basic input and is more background screening than skill

finally they do crime screen and drug screen BEFORE making offer.. and typically this is a 3 - 4 week process from 1st call to offer letter

you do have to sign contracts (non disclosure, non comp, IP rights at time of hire disclosure)

Negotiation

you do not get to truly "bargain"
    they will take a counter but tell you that all offers are final and its a take or decline offer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Sony Electronics (San Jose, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

Was contacted by an agent regarding a position in Sony and an onsite interview was set up the following day. Met the Program Manger, who was very professional and asked questions about my previous work and listened attentively.

Then a couple of engineers came in and started throwing questions at me without even bothering to listen to my answers. And out of the blue starting making fun of my Company and the product. Very unprofessional team

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sony Electronics.

Interview

Initial phone interview for contract position. Questions were mostly technical, not too difficult. After initial contract position was offered a permanent position.
    Impressions of work culture: Work is remote controlled from Tokyo, little to no autonomy for the US operation, so decisions take a long time to be made. Sometimes there is not enough transparency as to who is in control, and who is the real decision maker. Work efficiency sometimes suffers due to too many people involved in decision making, and the afore-mentioned lack of transparency of decision making.
           Staying back in office for late night video/telephone conference meetings with overseas teams, especially in Tokyo had been the norm rather than the exception, due to the time zone difference. However this is not for everyone concerned, only if one happened to be in a position within the project where liaison with Tokyo is necessary.

Interview Questions

• Telephone interview question for SW engineer position:
      What is the Unix/Linux system call that forms the basis of Linux pthread library functions?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sony Electronics (Los Angeles, CA) in June 2012.

Interview

was easy, very easy great nice

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sony Electronics (San Diego, CA) in February 2008.

Interview

I converted from a contractor to an employee. The conversion process involves the full round of interviews. Starting with applying online, doing an intensive background screening, and then about 7 hours of 1:1 interviews, which were done on the same day. The actual interviews were done about 10 days into the process. I was interviewed by the hiring manger, HR, dept. heads, and VP's. Each had a different style, none were technical in nature. They all asked the same type of questions, involving personality, work ethics, inter-personal skills, goals, etc.

Interview Questions

• Since I had experience with the company as a contractor, I was asked what I would like to see changed in the department I was interviewing for.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate. I only had to send the offer back to the table 1 time. However, doing so, increased the length of time for the final offer by a week.

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Sony Electronics (San Diego, CA) in October 2010.

Interview

Interview process consists of phone interview from recruiter and then from manager.
    After the phone interview is through, was invited for the one on one interview with the team .
    This interview lasted for a day.Also have to meet with VP and SVP of engineering as a part of interview process step by step though.

Web Applications Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Sony Electronics (San Diego, CA).

Interview

Got a call in two days after I applied. Had a phone screen first and then was called for on-site interview. The really check your in dept knowledge. On-site interview was taken by developers from the Playstation team. The process was pretty starightforward. Sony SNEI has a really cool developers to work with.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Sony Electronics (San Diego, CA) in May 2011.

Interview

Very standard. You come in, you talk to the hiring manager, and you will take a test, based on which position are being considered for. COME PREPARED TO BE TESTED or otherwise you will never get the job. Know the programs that you will be using, as they will as very specifically of your abilities to do the job.

Interview Questions

• How skilled are you with Excel?   1 Answer

IT Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Sony Electronics (San Diego, CA) in June 2010.

Interview

Sony kept saying they needed to fill this position asap but then they were very slow to schedule and arrange for the interviews. Overall it was a 2 month process for me - there were big gaps between phases of the interview process.

The intial interview was over the phone with HR, then a phone interview with the hiring manager and then 2 panel interviews with various managers and the VP.

If you know your stuff the interviews are easy but I'd consider them average in terms of the type of information they want, eg. provide specific examples of when you did this, etc.

I was not very impressed with their HR person - seemed very old school and didn't add much to the process other than why do you want to work at Sony, why do you want this position and repeated many questions in the intial phone screen. Aside from HR the others that I spoke with were quite knowledgeable, asked good questions and seemed interested in my experience and what I could bring. They shared a lot of insight into the role and what issues they were having.

They all do seem overworked and under stress; they did indicate that I would also need to work Saturdays and Sundays when required. This was a real turnoff for me, although I put in extra time wherever I work and do whatever it takes to get the job done I don't want a mandate like this.

I ended up taking another job before they extended a job offer so I don't know how much longer the fifnal selection process took.

Intern Interview

Interview

Resume, Interview

Interview Questions

• What would you do if when doing a presentation the persons there told you that your data is not the correct   1 Answer

Negotiation

Started in a few months, salary is established.