Spirit Airlines Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Spirit Airlines Interview Questions

Updated Dec 13, 2017

2.7

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Interview

Glassdoor already has a fairly exhaustive list of how this interview goes, and its all mostly accurate. ARRIVE 2 HOURS EARLY. I cant say this enough. It will save you hours of stress in the end and has another very important purpose. The reason for this is NOT because they are watching you like some people on this site say (they aren't- at least not at first) but because you need to CONNECT WITH THE PEOPLE AROUND YOU. TALK to everyone. Make friends. These people will be your connections both professionally and throughout the interview process. You will probably be in training with many of these people. Shoot ideas off one another for interview answers, and discuss origins. Get to REALLY know 2-3 people because its likely you will be seated next to them during the big presentation. If you arrived 2 hrs early like you should, that means you are sitting in the front row (a GOOD THING) and have a conversation partner. Spirit is looking for happy smiling people, not stoic professionalism at this point in the interview. The professionalism part comes later in the one on ones. The spirit airlines people will bring all of you into a presentation but will take about 20 mins for everyone to get seated. During this time, the employer will move down the front row in groups of 3-4 people talking to them. Be personable, ASK QUESTIONS, crack a non offensive joke or quip (you can agree on something with your convo partner), and smile a lot. Don't let them go over you as you sit there like a rock. They already have a high opinion of you because you were so early; keep that momentum going and it CAN and WILL counter a bad fishbowl question later on in the interview as I saw this happen myself. While being seated, the rows beyond the first will go over a visual inspection.

Some people were counted out within minutes of entering the interview for two things: bad dress (visible tattoos, earrings) and failing to listen to directions. Men: wear a suit. Women: SUIT if you have one, otherwise fairly tight fitting skirt and tie your hair into a very tight bun.

After a long presentation where you should be active and engaged, you will be split up by nametag color into 4 or so smaller groups. Next comes the dreaded "fishbowl." In this bowl is a bunch of questions that range from silly to serious. When the person comes up front and starts to explain LISTEN VERY CAREFULLY as there is a trick to this. You must follow the persons instructions EXACTLY. For instance: "walk up, say your name and #, grab a question, read the question, place the card back down, answer question, state name and number." This was the order we had, but it might not be the order you had. What disqualified a ton of people instantly? Doing it out of order. More than half the room came up and said name, #, then HELD ONTO THE CARD instead of putting it back down. Just follow those instructions to the letter and calm down. Speak in a clear voice, and smile when you walk up at the start to state your name and #. Because you arrived early, you will not have time to watch what other people do here, but this is a good thing because it also gives you leeway if you mess up. We had several front row people mess up the order, but a few of them still made it by virtue of good conversations earlier in the day, leeway from being front row, smiling, and enthusiasm in their answers. I want to state that as soon as people are done with fishbowls and the Spirit people leave the room to deliberate, the "whacky fun professional" facade needs to stop. Spirit will go out of their way to try to get you to be fun, zany, and smiley previous to this point in the interview. At the same time, they want to see if you will TAKE IT TOO FAR. Some people were disqualified that I believe would have passed only because of volume level or non professional behavior post fishbowl.

Next you will be funneled into one on ones or 1v2 inteviews in the order you arrived in the line- this is one of the core reasons why you arrived 2 hours early. Now is time for professional you to make an appeal. Smiling a lot and laughing at mild jokes is good, but they have seen "smiley you" for the last 5 hours. Now its time for professional you. Answer their questions in detail, the questions themselves are easy and have been posted all over this site. Have a good answer for "why spirit?" on hand. Remember that part where I said not to wear high heels? They will also have you lift a 50lb bag. Expect to read a short speech as well. Be loud and clear. After this you will go to the decision room. Don't panic if your name doesn't get called 4+ times in a row- this may actually be a good sign.

I saw no indications that race had any play in final decision as our final group was VERY diverse.

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Spirit Airlines (Fort Lauderdale, FL).

Interview

Application was easy and then you do an assessment.. It takes awhile for them to get back to you.. I thought they had just written me off.. I received an email inviting me to Ft. Lauderdale, FL for an interview but the company won't pay for my flight.. So I have to pay $388 for a flight from Seattle, WA to Flordia.. Pretty crappy considering thats what the company does.. It would take nothing for them to give vouchers or half off for flights for interviewees.

Flight Attendant Interview

Interview

No, no, no. Just no! Terrible, unprofessional process. They had loud music/ shouting matches between both halves of the room and candidates and recruiters dancing for over an hour before/during the interview? The candidates started a freaking conga line. I had a headache within 30 min before the interview started but yet you felt like you had to clap your hands and encourage this or else you were out because they're always "watching". Candidates were snap chatting and recording on their phones and to my surprise some actually got offered the CJO. I smiled, followed directions for the fishbowl questions as directed, had a simple question. Turns out the recruiter never heard me say my applicant number at the end because he asked at the end what my number was? I know I said it. He didn't give me the decency to actually pay attention, therefore I was cut. Don't waste your time if you're more on the professional side.

Interview Questions

• What would your best friend say about you using three adjectives?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Spirit Airlines (Fort Lauderdale, FL) in November 2017.

Interview

Super-detailed account coming right up!!

I interviewed on the 7th of Nov, 2017 in FLL. I had been on the waiting list for LAS (where I live) but never got off of it, so I flew to FLL to interview. I feel now where I went wrong was that I was overly-confident about it and didn’t prepare very much. You see, I was a CSA for 2 years (ending in August 2017) and I know Spirit inside and out!! Spirit is very near and dear to me, so I was sure I was going to get it. People who waited in line to check their bags used to always tell me that they hoped they’d get me because I had the biggest smile and seemed to really enjoy my job!! I always made sure I explained the rules if anyone was upset when they approached the ticket counter. I informed them so it never happened again and gave them extra tips on how to save more by buying their tickets at the ticket counter, bags online. I always enjoyed my job as a CSA, even when things got super tough.

Anyway, I arrived at 5:30am thinking there’d be a few people there, but I tell ya, kids, there were wayyyy more than a few! Don’t stress too much about being there super early, just make sure you’re a little early to make some friends. You’re all in the same boat, after all, and they want to see you being social. ;)

So, like everyone here has said, they give you a color on your name tag and a number and then you’re divided up into different rooms by color. I think our event had 5 or 6 colors (they said FLL was the largest hiring event they’d ever had)!! I was lucky enough to stay in the same room which was GIGANTIC for the “pageant round”! I ended up being 4th to do my question and I got one about showing how I care about my guests. I did very well on this because I’ve been doing public speaking for 6 years and am pretty good at it.

I made the cut, which takes you to the F2F!! I was so happy and dreaming about when I would get a transfer to LAS because for Spirit, I’d move wherever they wanted me! In the process of waiting for my 2-on-1, I became really nervous, for some reason. When I went in, the gentleman had me lift the bag (which I can tell you, as a CSA, it weighed about 30 lbs or so, not 50 because raising 50 lbs over your head is almost impossible for even me and I have serious muscles from lifting bags all the time)!

Anyway! The bag lift left me out of breath and immediately, they had me read an announcement before I had caught my breath, so my reading didn’t sound as great as I’d hoped. I thought that part made me nervous and said so, but I was out of breath from lifting the bag! (Btw, don’t tell them you’re nervous lol)

They asked me questions from my resume about gaps in employment but they never asked me anything about being a CSA! They didn’t ask why I left! I left because I wanted to be a FA with all my heart!!

When the star questions were asked, (above and beyond and what would I do about the carry-on bag if a mother and baby were boarding and Mom was holding baby), the questions themselves were not terribly difficult, but I know I didn’t feel confident enough. I was lacking in that area, therefore my answers were not as good as they should have been. I can’t stress enough that you have to be confident otherwise you will not project your voice and will not answer the right way.

They’re NOT looking for who’s traveled the farthest, guys—you don’t automatically get a CJO if you cross the country! I’ve read some stories on here stating that it’s a “scam”. This is completely untrue. They’re looking for confidence, the right answers and for you to look the part, yes, but also personality! If you don’t have these things in your interview, you’re not going to get it, even if you’ve come from JAPAN or even if you have been a FA for 20 years! If you don’t prove to them why they should hire you and what you can bring to the company in that little window of time during your F2F, you will not be headed off to training! They’re not kidding around when they say you need to bring your A-game!

All of this said, I was very disappointed that I had experience with the company and as a previous FA AND flew out for my birthday to come home without a CJO. In analysis, I know exactly where I went wrong now and my lack of preparation was embarrassing and sad on my part. What was I thinking?

Well, now I’m thinking I’m going to try again in 6 months because I know in my heart I’m right for this job with *this* airline. I’m more determined than ever!!

Guys, please do not believe the other folks on here saying bad things about Spirit. Spirit is awesome and I know first-hand that they are. I’m sorry for those folks who weren’t selected because I do know how disappointing it is, but you need to *prove* yourself. You will not be selected because you’re entitled to it but because you stand out, have personality, poise and confidence and because YOU DESERVE IT.

Interview Questions

• If you could go back in time and witness a historical event, what would you choose?   Answer Question
    • If you could have dinner With anyone alive or dead, who would you choose?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Spirit Airlines (Fort Lauderdale, FL) in November 2017.

Interview

Interview session with ticket Ft Lauderdale. This was beyond ridiculous! They must have accepted everyone who applied. 600 people!! Arrived 6:15 for 7 am cattle call. Arrival time made zero difference as They make you stand in line for hours instead of having you sign in and go to a seat. Then you watch a freak show of dancing applicants for 3 hours before the interview process even begins. Recruiters looked like they just got out of bed and were not too friendly. No coffee. No snacks. Ice water offered. At 11 am they finally separate everyone into groups whereby you see amazing candidates dressed like Flight Attendants and speaking clearly to seeing folks that should’ve been cut at walk in. To my sheer utter surprise anyone who looked the part got cut and those left in leggings etc moved forward. (A few good ones got through but mostly those who would never be considered by better airlines were the most successful)
    Honestly, Spirit needs to step up their game. There needs to be a better pre culling process and no one wants to dance for 3 hours in a business suit before a formal interview. Stop wasting professional flight attendants’ time calling them in for that circus.
    Makes me wonder about the quality of safety and other things on the flights now.
    Will not respond to another one of their recruitment emails for sure! Training dates had been changed from initial email too...unorganized company.

Interview Questions

• Fish bowl questions. Repetitive. What do you like about yourself?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Spirit Airlines (Fort Lauderdale, FL) in November 2017.

Interview

Get there early. The first part is a lot of waiting around, but once you go inside it turns into a pep rally and everybody is relaxed and dancing and cheering. They do a presentation and take questions at the end -- which takes about an hour and a half. Then everyone breaks off for the fishbowl stage which is the first challenging part. You are being evaluated by 7 or 8 flight attendants and HR reps and it seems like they're looking for personality and how you present yourself first and foremost, as well as how you answer your question. I don't think all questions/answers are weighted as heavily but if you answer "what makes you angry?" with "ignorant people" or something like that like one person did, then most likely you will not progress to the F2F phase. Other than the nerves of interviewing with 400 other people, everyone's really nice and it wasn't overly difficult.

Interview Questions

• If you could retire today and start a new wildly different career, what would it be?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Spirit Airlines (Fort Lauderdale, FL) in November 2017.

Interview

exactly as described on previous post.
    I would say the only thing I did notice is they play mind games in the beginning of the interview they want you to get up and dance and act silly the entire time you're waiting for everyone to be processed in. But during there second part they want to see who's going to take it to far. nearly everyone who danced and played around were cut after the second round.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be a spirit flight attendant?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Spirit Airlines (Fort Lauderdale, FL) in November 2017.

Interview

Interview went exactly as described. I arrived at 4:45 and event started at 7. There were about ten people there when I arrived and people started piling in shortly after. While standing in line a Spirit employee from HR came up to all of us standing at the front and said we had a major advantage being early. (Realizing later that was unnecessary and unfair to say.) We were split into groups of 50. Every person went up, drew a question from the bowl, read it and gave their answer. I would say almost all of the questions had something to do with your current job, personality, or something about being a flight attendant. My question however was, "If you could back in time to any US historical event what would it be?" That was my once chance to show the interviewers my personality and I feel like I truly was not given that chance because of that question! It was probably the oddest question there was. So have an answer for this just in case it's the one you get! Although I was rejected after this with half of my room it was still a great learning experience. After finding out more companies take the time to actually get to know people they are interviewing I am not as disappointed. This was not the greatest interview process! I made some friends, had a great learning experience and got to go to the beach so it turned out okay :D

Interview Questions

• If you could go back in time to any US historical event what would it be?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Spirit Airlines (Miami, FL) in November 2017.

Interview

You pay money to go all the way out to an interview that they invite you to pick a question out of a bowl. Make sure that this is a company that you really want to work for because you will be coming out of pocket for everything and you will not be reimbursed nor will you get paid training.

Interview Questions

• pick a question out of a bowl; "if you could throw a party what party would it be".   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davie, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Spirit Airlines (Davie, FL) in November 2017.

Interview

Applied on the 31st of OCT. and was invited to the interview for the Flight Attendant position for the Fort Lauderdale, Dallas and Detroit Bases for Spirit Airlines on the same day. They gave me three days to respond to the invite. This was my first invite to interview with an airline and was not able to just up and leave that soon. I did not make it to the interview. The application was easy and getting an interview was easier.