T. Rowe Price Interview Questions | Glassdoor

T. Rowe Price Interview Questions

Updated Jul 16, 2018

2.8

Anonymous Employee in Owings Mills, MD

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at T. Rowe Price (Owings Mills, MD) in March 2012.

Interview

I applied to a position in mid March and received a phone call from Human Resources about 4 days later. The phone call with the HR rep was typical, asking questions about my resume and why did I want to work for TRP. I was scheduled for an interview on campus for 2 weeks in the future. The on-campus interview lasted about two hours, and the first hour consisted of an HR presentation about TRP benefits and a tour. The second hour was a two person panel interview, and I was asked about 7 Behavioral type questions, where a STAR response was helpful. Questions were typical for this type as well. I thought my interview went okay (I'm not the best interviewee) but I made sure to maintain a smile and a high energy level. I was told I would hear something within the next week or two.

I hadn't heard anything closing on to three weeks after the interview so I reached out to HR by email, just looking for an update. A few days later, three weeks to the day, I was offered a conditional offer.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time when you worked with a difficult client/customer?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at T. Rowe Price (Baltimore, MD) in April 2010.

Interview

Thorough interview process

Associate Interview

Interview

Campus recruiting, interviews at the company, and an offer

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at T. Rowe Price (Baltimore, MD).

Interview

Taleo application online, basic arithmetic test, phone screening and then a panel based behavioral interview. Prepare well for the interview . They are very big in interviews. The whole process took about two months.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a customer that you helped.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at T. Rowe Price (Baltimore, MD).

Interview

Phone interviews then flown in to a series of interviews at the Baltimore office (visited the office for interviews on two separate occasions). Behavioral questions, stock market questions, some case study-like questions, and big on why TRP and why Baltimore. Interviewers were friendly and weren't trying to make you sweat or stress out. Very smooth process though the big deciding factor is whether they think you will do well in the TRP culture.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions were completely out of left field. Some of the case study questions were interesting, but not meant to throw you in a hole.   Answer Question

Associate Analyst Interview

Interview

First round was a phone interview followed by a final super day (6 interviews) in Baltimore. Resume walk through, behavioral and personality questions such as how you would deal with certain hypothetical situations. Be able to describe how you think about investments and have at least a couple companies you know a lot about. Reading the Wall Street journal consistently before the interview is also helpful so that they know you pay attention to the investment world. Also be able to describe why t rowe, as opposed to a Fido or other mutual fund.

Interview Questions

• What's the largest hurdle you have faced in your life and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Associate Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at T. Rowe Price in July 2015.

Interview

Used their corporate website, LinkedIn, Glassdoor, Vault and the Wall Street Oasis interview question vault to prepare for the interview. I applied online, contacted a corporate recruiter about 3-weeks later, and was scheduled for a 30 minutes phone interview.

The interview started with the basic “tell me about yourself question” and then drilled down to get a better understanding of my background and experience. As a non-traditional candidate (i.e. <1 year research experience; non-target school; etc.), a lot of attention was placed on my resume and the interviewer really wanted to understand my timeline, why I transitioned into investment management, my prior investment experience, and what I look for quantitatively and quantitatively when analyzing companies. Remember, these people analyze the capital market so expect the interview to be structured in a way that analyzes your strengths and weaknesses, without asking it that directly, and have prepped responses to your problem areas. Towards the end I was asked to pitch a stock, where the interviewer was please with the thoroughness of my analysis, but oddly enough I wasn’t asked to defend the thesis. Shortly after the pitch, the interviewer asked how many other companies I analyzed to the same extent and based on his/her response, it seemed like he was dissatisfied with my answer. In hindsight, I think they were looking for someone with more experience. Overall, I think the interview went well, but I walked away feeling like the interviewer questioned my ability to work the long hours that the position requires.

For anyone looking to go into buy-side investment management, T. Rowe is a premier shop and their interview process reflects this. From an inside connection the firm is very corporate (read: conservative), so be professional and get to the point when answering questions. They have a highly skilled research team and are looking for Associate Analysts who are essentially “stock jockeys”/ “market heads”. How I would imagine most people watch Sunday football and can tell you the stats of their favorite players and who is likely to win Sunday’s game, this position is looking for someone who holds that same passion for the capital markets and company analysis. If you can show your tangible passion for the position (i.e. publishing research, managing a private account, obtaining an equity research internship, clearing levels of the CFA exam, etc.) you can get this firms attention, but again there are no guarantees because the competition is steep. My advice, gain experience first and then try to break in here.

Leadership Interview

Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at T. Rowe Price (Colorado Springs, CO) in March 2017.

Interview

Drug Test locally then a background check. A phone screen by a talent acquisition associate and a in person interview if you pass that. In person interview was at the Colorado Springs site with both program managers whom are supervisors in the company.

Lead Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at T. Rowe Price.

Interview

HR phone interview 1hour, 1hr phone interview with hiring manager, 8 hour interview meeting team, 2nd round interview for another 3 hours. Case style questions. All interviewers were men and felt like they were quizzing me. It didn’t make me want to work for them and certainly didn’t make me feel comfortable. Old boys club, awkward communicators, and obviously indecisive. Finally got offer but money too low to put myself into such a stodgy environment and I didn’t even try to negotiate, just said no thanks. Was told work life balance was great but that felt insincere particularly after hearing comments about employees coming in on weekends and not using all of their vacation time; but it was all the employees choice. No thanks!

Interview Questions

• Should we hire sales force in a new territory, We are losing tdf share; what should we do   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at T. Rowe Price (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

Phone Screen with a group of current employees. After the phone screen, they said they would reconnect and talk about next steps. Never heard back. Next steps were supposed to include an onsite which would consist of a white-boarding technical session.

Interview Questions

• Basic questions about items on resume, what technologies/frameworks I know and use, and some about test driven development.   Answer Question