The Hartford Interview Questions | Glassdoor

The Hartford Interview Questions

Updated Feb 15, 2017

2.8

Small Commecial Underwriter Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The Hartford.

Interview

Filled out an online application. Almost a month later received an e-mail to complete an assessment. After the assessment received a call to schedule a phone interview for the following day.

The assessment was not difficult. There were vocabulary questions, sentence structure, basic math and personality based questions.

The phone interview is where everything went left. The recruiter called late. No big deal things happen. She threw some incomplete information at me about the position. She reiterated that the training would be 14 weeks, and asked me more than once if that was ok. She kept stressing that this was "the end of the process and I was one of the last people she was calling". She sounded incredelous when she asked me about the school where I got my Bachelors degree (A nontraditional university with the same accreditation as a traditional university). She cut me off while I was answering questions. While I answered questions there was complete silence, not even typing. The interview lasted a little under 30 minutes. She ended the interview with a reminder that this was the end of the process and they wanted to be done with everything in the next couple of days.

The phone interview came across like I was someone that needed to be checked off a list. This did not feel like a recruitment effort but more like a "cleaning out the files" necessity. If I did not meet the criteria or I wasn't a candidate they wanted to consider that would have been fine. Send the auto rejection e-mail and we can all move on. But don't take a candidate through the process to meet quota or because of whatever other unnecessary policy you have in place.

After the phone interview I went on the website to withdraw my application but they don't have that option.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you built a relationship with a customer?

Tell me about a time you helped streamline a process?

What do you know about underwriting?
      Answer Question

I declined because of the recruiting process. It does not take a company 30 days to call you for an interview or to schedule you for an assessment. Companies know who they want to hire. If I were late for an interview I would be looked down upon, the recruiter called late. She was disinterested and seemed to only call so she could eliminate me. I have learned that the way a company treats you coming in the door is the way they will continue to treat you. I was already being treated like a number/task. So before an offer could be made I made the decision to move on.

Customer Relations Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The Hartford (Charlotte, NC) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied on company website.
    Phone interview which lasted about 20 min.
    In person interview with 11 managers. Did speed dating style and had 90 seconds to answer each question. It was actually pretty fun. After they had go into a conference room and discuss their benefits and start date. They offered me the position the very next day

Interview Questions

• A lot of situational questions and behavioral questions. Similar to the phone interview   Answer Question

Data Science Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Hartford (Hartford, CT) in January 2017.

Interview

I received a call from a recruiter about 10 days after my application. She gave me some information about the company and scheduled a phone interview with a senior data scientist for the following week. The phone call lasted about 30 minutes. I have a background in the Physical Sciences so I was asked to talk about my research in not too technical terms. I was also asked why I want to work in the insurance industry and then one more technical question about building a predictive model. I was given the opportunity to ask questions about the company and the type of work that they do and I feel I learned a lot from it. The recruiter gave me a phone call a few working days later to let me know they would not pursue my application any further and gave me good feedback.

Both of the people I spoke with were very nice and the screening wasn't hard. I think I busted it mostly because of my lack of experience with interviews (this was my first phone interview ever), leading to my response for the modelling question being not as structured and technical as it should have been. I also think I could have chosen a better model.

Interview Questions

• I was given a problem statement and was asked what type of model I would use, which independent variables, how I would validate the model etc.   Answer Question

Associate Underwriter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Maitland, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at The Hartford (Maitland, FL).

Interview

Applied in 2006, i was given a relatively easy verbal and arithmetic exam. Should not be a problem for any individual to pass that has a college degree. This was followed up with a interview with the Head of the underwriting department. Interview was very relaxed. All behavioral questions, nothing technical was asked. Even spent a quarter of the time talking about hobbies and regular cocktail type conversations. Overall very good experience.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be an Underwriter as your first job out of college?   1 Answer

Intern - Hourly Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at The Hartford.

Interview

2 phone interviews with recruiters and 1 with manager. First was basic behavior questions and second was a little more in depth. Last interview was more about the position and insurance field.

Claims Adjuster Interview

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Hartford (Indianapolis, IN).

Interview

Once you submit your resume, you had to wait for a phone interview. Then you are called into the office for a face-to-face with an immediate supervisor and manager

Interview Questions

• What is your best professional skill that still help you do the job? What is your weakness?   Answer Question

Claims Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Horsham, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at The Hartford (Horsham, PA).

Interview

The interview process was very simple - I interviewed with a member of HR, she asked me questions about my job history (since was fresh out of college my job history wasn't that extensive), I had to take a timed, basic math and aptitude test. Once she reviewed my test results (about 15 mins after completion) I was handed a script for a drug test and was told me employment was pending those results.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiating

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Hartford, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at The Hartford (New Hartford, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

I was asked to do a phone interview to go over my employment history. She was grilling me for exact dates for my entire work history and basically telling me that I needed to get myself together beacuse I didn't remember the exact date I left my very first teenage job. (Also telling me that they WOULD be calling EVERY old employer and needed to know EVERY detail in a very demeaning way). She repeatedly asked me if I would ACTUALLY pass a drug test and the background check even though I assured her the first time that neither of those would be an issue.

I was offered a second interview. She then told me that the next interview process would be like speed dating and asked if I'd ever speed dated before (which I felt was an utterly inappropriate question) and that I would be answering rapid fire questions in front of a panel of managers and would only have 90 seconds to answer behaviorally based questions and that I needed to be more specific about situations than I was in the call.

I ended up cancelling the second interview because I felt so uncomfortable during the phone interview.

After speaking with friends, I feel that this was the right decision. They stated that they would cry regularly on the call floor and would hear others crying because of the insane expectations on the floor. If you're looking for money and no sanity, it's the place to work, they said.

Interview Questions

• Will you actually pass a drug test?   1 Answer

Long Term Disability Claims Handler Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gold River, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at The Hartford (Gold River, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

The interview process was very smooth. There was an initial phone interview that was simple. I thought I did very poorly, but still was offered an in person interview about 7-8 days after the phone interview. They really seemed to want to know the person that I was. They seemed more interested in my volunteer experiences from undergrad than anything else and I think that's what ultimately got me the position. It was a very positive experience. The interview lasted about an hour and one of the interviewers was remote/on a screen.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time that you had to deny a customer a request.   Answer Question

ECLDP Marketing Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at The Hartford.

Interview

Phone interview to begin with which was average, basic behavioral questions with some curveballs. The in-person interview was much more relaxed. They wanted to see how you are as a person and make sure you're someone they want to be working with. Just be able to go into detail on what's on your resume.