The Standard Interview Questions | Glassdoor

The Standard Interview Questions

Updated Jun 19, 2017

Call Center Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Altavista, VA

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Standard (Altavista, VA).

Interview

The interview was easy. The interviewers were nice. They told me they would let me know the next week if they wanted to hire me. They gave me a call the next morning.

Interview Questions

• What type of words do you use to show empathy to people?   Answer Question
    • What type of words do you use to deesclate a difficult phone call?   Answer Question

The Standard Response

Aug 3, 2017 – Sr. Talent Acquisition Partner

We appreciate your feedback and are glad to hear that you had a positive experience with a timely update on your status.

Call Center Representative I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at The Standard (New York, NY).

Interview

Very unprofessional! Strung me along for months for two different positions. When you first apply, they'll set up a phone interview a couple days later, but a long waiting period for the in-person interview. When the in-person came, interviewers seemed uninterested/going-thru-the-motions but made it seem as if you're going to be a shoe-in. Still haven't got official word about the latest position I went for, even though the recruiter said she'll get back to me.

Awful communicators!

Executive Position Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at The Standard in April 2017.

Interview

Received e-mail from recruiter to set up interview. Interview was very awkward with the recruiter leaving large gaps after I spoke. Recruiter was not friendly or easy to deal with.

Interview Questions

• I see you don't have experience in insurance   1 Answer

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at The Standard (Hillsboro, OR).

Interview

Standard is SLOW! I worked as a temp employee on multiple occasions at different locations (downtown and Tanasbourne mainly), for multiple assignments, particularly CTA department. They ask a LOT of behavior based questions and a lot of them are redundant, yet they continue to probe. You feel like you are repeating your answers and I don't think they seem to care about culture fit or actual experience, but want to see what type of scenarios you can share with them of situations where you encountered certain challenges, conflicts, etc.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you had to work with a colleague that you didn't agree with and how you were able to resolve differences and get a project completed while working with that person.   Answer Question

Actuarial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Standard.

Interview

The 1st phone interview with a HR: just explaining about what position they have and asking what experiences and skills I have
    The 2nd phone interview with a hiring manger: mostly behavioral questions and the questions about the previous work experiences.

Interview Questions

• Have you explained technical things to non-technical people?   Answer Question

Infrastructure Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Standard (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

The hiring process starts with a screener that works with you to schedule a phone interview with the hiring manager. Once that happens then you have your pone interview.

Absence Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Altavista, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The Standard (Altavista, VA) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied for the position and received email requesting a phone interview. The phone interview were general questions. I was asked about my expected salary. I provided my salary expectations and was assured that they could meet it. About a week later I received another email requesting an in person interview. I went to that interview and 3 days later received a phone call with an offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer.   1 Answer

I declined the offer as I felt they really low balled me on the salary after telling me they could meet it. I attempted to negotiate but was immediately told that they were not negotiating. It was clear to me at that point that they were not looking to hire and compensate talent, only workers. The only good thing about the outcome was my current employer (supervisor and director) telling my how valuable I am to the company and how overjoyed they were that I declined the offer.

Product Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at The Standard (Portland, OR) in September 2016.

Interview

Took several months. Had a phone interview, common interview questions, followed by sending work samples. Then brought in for in person interview. I was there for 5 hours and met with 7 different people.

Interview Questions

• Why do I want to work for the Standard?   1 Answer

Case Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Standard.

Interview

Had to go through 4 separate rounds of interviews. By the end of it I had interviewed with 6 different people (including the recruiter). Questions were insanely difficult in and of themselves not to mention trying to answer them in the required format they wanted. They are the behavioral based questions, but trust and believe they are not the typical or "common" ones you will find on google. I'm a relatively educated and well spoken person, and I really struggled to answer their questions appropriately. Hands down the most difficult interview I've had so far. I prepared for hours, and yet I was incredibly unprepared. Good luck.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you used data and logic to present information in order to persuade an individual on a difficult subject?

(Keep in mind you cannot just answer the question the way it comes to you, you have to answer using their 5-point format)   Answer Question

Benefits Claims Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lynchburg, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The Standard (Lynchburg, VA) in July 2016.

Interview

This company boots about how they are all about the community and helping it's customers. Well this company is a big joke. They make you jump through hoops to get an in person interview. You get all dressed up because it states business professional and the interviewer is in business casual dress wear. Then it states to bring 2 copies of your resume and the interviewer never even asked for it. Then they say you need to make sure your contact information formation is correct because we will be calling you with a job offer. Well, you sit around and wait and wait. The finally you get an email stating you are now no longer being considered for the position.