Thomson Reuters Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 22, 2017
1,457 Interview Reviews

2.8

Content Writer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Thomson Reuters.

Interview

I applied through a friend's referral, at a time when she told me the company really needed writers. About two weeks later, an HR person emailed me to set up a phone chat (I would be working remotely from a different city than the headquarters). That call lasted about an hour, covered a lot of ground and went well, with him telling me repeatedly that he liked my background and saw me as a great fit for this role and the next level up. He said he'd be in touch over the next two days to set up the phone interview with two content editors, and he was true to his word.

The interview with the content editors also went well, with them diving into my vast journalism and marketing background and talking about specific projects (the ones on their plates as well as the ones I'd previously worked on). Again, they told me that they saw me as a fit, that they wanted to move quickly, and that the HR guy would be in touch by the end of the week with next steps.

The HR guy did reach out, but he wanted to schedule yet another phone interview with two more content editors in a different discipline. Keep in mind that I was a full-time freelancer at the time and was doing these 60-90-minute-long phone interviews between appointments in my hot car with no A/C running so as not to make noise. But like the other interviews, this went well also. They told me that they had compared notes with the other editors, so they had different questions about my background and how I research/source stories. We wrapped up with them saying that the HR guy would be in touch within a couple of days and that I should get an offer within two weeks.

The HR guy was *not* in touch within a couple of days. It was around a holiday weekend, though, so I let it go for another week before emailing him to get a status update. He wrote back and said things were still going through the project but everything should be settled within a few days. I waited. Waited more. Waited still. I checked in two weeks after I hadn't heard from him and got nothing. Same thing yet another week later. After three weeks, I wrote and told him that I was interested in the work and partnering with the editors I'd spoken with, but I had another job offer and would really appreciate an update (I was being truthful - I did have another offer in hand). I didn't hear back from the HR guy for two more weeks after that, just as I was getting ready to start my new job. "You may as well take it; I'm not sure if we're going to move forward with hiring anybody." SERIOUSLY? He couldn't have told me that weeks ago? What in the hell was the point of about ten weeks of conversations and promises? And why wouldn't you update someone who was a referral from a respected employee?

Never again.

Interview Questions

Thomson Reuters Response

Aug 4, 2017 – Talent Brand Marketing Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. We apologize that your experience did not live up to our standards and expectations and we would like to follow up directly with... More

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Thomson Reuters.

Interview

Several Phone calls, the recruiter scheduled three calls and never called. I finally had a 5 minute conversation that resulted in an interview. Arrived early at the interview site and the interviewer was never told I was there. Waited 30 minutes before they showed up. They suggested I have a follow-up conversation with matrix manager, who never bothered to return my call.

Interview Questions

• Large orginization so any question may not be relevant to specific role.   1 Answer

Marketing Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Thomson Reuters.

Interview

I was contacted by a Thomson Reuters recruiter on LinkedIn. I was surprised that he thought I would be a good fit for the role he shared with me, since my background didn’t match the role requirements and the location wasn’t what I had specified in my profile, but upon confirming via email that the role is actually based in my metro area, we scheduled a call.

This was the most ridiculous HR phone screen I had ever been a part of. It turns out that the job description I was sent was not the one I was scouted out for – the recruiter had sent me the wrong description (even though I had emailed him prior to the call to clarify some things on it). I wanted to learn about the role he originally thought I’d be a good fit for, but unfortunately he did not have any information on the role except for a one-sentence description, which he kept repeating as an answer to all the questions I asked while trying to get a better grasp of what they are looking for. I was able to somehow get it out of him that the role was in marketing - which is pretty broad. From here on, this call just turned into even more of a farce – I was told they are looking for someone analytical but also with a creative background. When I wanted to clarify if they are looking for an analyst to work with marketing data or a creative person to design marketing materials, he responded that it’s both! This seemed odd to me so I asked some more questions and he told me that my questions just mean that I don’t understand the role and hence am not a good fit. HA!

At this point I tried to salvage the call, since he seemed to be really struggling and I really just wanted to see if there’s a role for me a Thomson Reuters, so I suggested that perhaps a call with the hiring manager would be a good idea so that I can actually see what they are looking for. He said he’d check and get back to me within a week.

I was not surprised to not hear back. But I followed up with two emails and eventually heard back that there are no roles that fit my background.

I was really surprised by this whole experience, given that the recruiter had been at Thomson Reuters for a few years and this was not his first job. In retrospect, it’s funny and amusing and a story to tell, but clearly doesn’t reflect well on Thomson Reuters.

Interview Questions

Thomson Reuters Response

Software Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Thomson Reuters (Dallas, TX) in August 2017.

Interview

I was interviewed by two individuals over the phone who spent zero time preparing for the interview. This was obvious when they were asking things that were clearly stated on my resume. Both were extremely difficult to understand as they had very thick accents and spoke softly. This was seriously one of the worst conducted interviews I have ever been a part of. Several of the questions were not even stated in the form of a question. I only knew I was being asked something after their long pause. When the call was over I scratched this company off my list as I have zero desire moving forward after talking to these two.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever used design patterns?   1 Answer

Aug 17, 2017 – Talent Brand Marketing Specialist

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Thomson Reuters.

Interview

Several steps to the process, overall took about 5 months.

1. Apply online to GTMA program.
    2. They will send you a personality/behavioral "test" that just evaluates what type of professional you are, and how you can best improve. They just want to see what type of personality you have, and whether you will be fit for sales and face to face.
    3. Video interview. No, not skype - Video. Know the company, the position.
    4. Face to face super day at site location!

Interview Questions

Thomson Reuters Response

Jul 13, 2017 – Talent Brand Marketing Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. We're glad that you have decided to join Thomson Reuters!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Thomson Reuters (Ann Arbor, MI) in July 2017.

Interview

Did an online assessment. Called in for an interview after an email for me was misplaced a week before. Good facilities but Human Resources who interview you make you feel very uncomfortable and for time ever made my skin color seem like a reason I wouldn't fit. Overall good company if you're white or black cause I didn't notice much of a mix people other than that.

Interview Questions

Thomson Reuters Response

Jul 28, 2017 – Talent Brand Marketing Specialist

We apologize that your experience did not live up to our standards and expectations and we would like to follow up directly with the team involved to ensure this doesn't happen to other individuals... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carrollton, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Thomson Reuters (Carrollton, TX) in July 2017.

Interview

The interview process at first was really quick. A recruiter called me and set up another interview with the Senior Product Manager the following day for the position. The interview went well and quick, probably 10 minutes. The Senior Product Manager then sheduled me for a face to face interview the following week. I had to make a follow up with the schedule from Friday to Monday. The person who scheduled it sent me an email Tuesday, a day before the final interview. The next interview process was tough. Three indivuals interviewed me. First the ateam Lead, thenthe Product Manager and kastly the Senior Product Manager. All 3 interviews lasted for almost 30 minutes each except for the last one. All 3 interviewers have the same sets of questions but luckily some of which were not asked to me. There were at least 2 same questions asked to me. After the interview I was asked to answer a short quiz about technical stuff. I was told that it will take another week for the team to decide and let me know of the result. The process took 3 weeks. I had to send 2 follow up emails to the recruiter regarding the application result until an email was sent to me that I did not make it. I really wish they just did a panel interview next time for other applicants. It will benefit them all. Less painful and traumatic if you did not make the cut even for an entry level position.

Interview Questions

• Questions were all behavioral. Scenarios based from previous work experience   1 Answer

Aug 9, 2017 – Talent Brand Marketing Specialist

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide feedback about your experience. If you are still interested in Thomson Reuters, and we hope you are, we encourage you to sign up to receive job... More

Legal Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Thomson Reuters.

Interview

Interview process is impersonal. It may be months between application and invitation to interview with no communication. In-person interviews have been replaced with video interviews. There is no opportunity for feedback or to ask questions. You basically talk to your laptop, there is little prep time and no redoing your answers.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had to balance competing interests   1 Answer

Jul 6, 2017 – Talent Brand Marketing Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. We apologize that your experience did not live up to our standards and expectations and we would like to learn more about your experience... More

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Thomson Reuters (Ann Arbor, MI).

Interview

Interview process was quick and relatively painless. Recruiter contacted me after I submitted my application and wanted me to come in for an interview the following week. Before my interview, I had to complete a 8-12 hour course and get certified. The course was free and went over customer service, diagnosing, technical support and managing day to day activities. I was able to complete in about 8 hours and afterwards a time was set up for my interview. The interview took about 3 hours and included a tour of the facilities, job shadowing, cognitive assessment, and finally a one-on-one interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had to deal with a difficult client. What was the issue and how did you help resolve it?   Answer Question

May 18, 2017 – Talent Brand Marketing Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. We're glad that you have decided to join us - Welcome to Thomson Reuters!

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Thomson Reuters (Saint Louis, MO) in June 2017.

Interview

Telephone Interview - was brief mostly technical on C++ programming and some about finance domain like trade and quote, In person Interview - technical questions on C++ and test domain knowledge about how the market works, expect well above average questions.