Toyota North America Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.9

1. Featured Interview

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Toyota North America (Plano, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

Toyota is very thorough about their interview process. This is due in part to their stance on not laying people off, but it is also just because they want to find people that are the right fit. Overall, from application to hiring, the process took about four months. I finally really got traction in the last few months. In total, I had phone conversations with four of their in-house recruiters, then I had four interviews with managers, and each of those interviews was with two managers (so eight managers total). However, none of the interviews had "gotcha" questions. It was clear they just wanted to see how I think, how I reason through problems, and how I relate to people.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you were presented with some financial information, and some part of it just didn't "smell" right?   1 Answer
    • I did have a phone interview with a recruiter on the finance side for TEMA (the manufacturing arm in Kentucky), and they asked some specific questions like "What is the accounting equation?" and "What is a bill of materials?"   1 Answer

Production Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Toyota North America.

Interview

My interview process was condensed because I had previous co-op experience with the company, but initially it was given in the STAR (Situation, Task, Action, Result) format. It was conducted over a phone interview, which was not ideal, but all recruiters involved were friendly and laid-back about the process.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation in which you had to work with a team to solve a problem.   Answer Question

Team Lead/Supervisor CSC Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cedar Rapids, IA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Toyota North America (Cedar Rapids, IA).

Interview

Phone interview with HR first. Basic questions about your experience and background.
    Next is an interview with HR and two manager of departments of the Call Center. They use the behavioral questions-- tell me a time when?
    Time line was pushed back as they determined they need two supervisors. I was never followed up with, ignore my emails after I waited 3 weeks.

Interview Questions

Interview

Interview process was wonderful. The management team was very nice, not above you. Asked questions pertaining to employment with them and not off the wall stuff. Never made me feel nervous or that I didn't belong. Very relaxing interview!

Interview Questions

• How would I handle a team member if I caught them stealing?   1 Answer

Customer Relations Interview

Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Toyota North America (Plano, TX) in April 2017.

Interview

I've only completed the initial interview (the phone.
    i did the application Apr 5, Virtual Assessment was emailed to me about a week later then i was called for a phone interview Apr 27 and had it that evening. She is supposed to call me next week to schedule the in person interview in
    Plano on either May 16 or 17th. The position starts June 22nd

Interview Questions

• What made me consider Toyota?   Answer Question
    • Name a time when i went above and beyond for a customer or employee.   1 Answer
    • Name an accomplishment i am proud of.   Answer Question
    • Name a time I had to work with a coworker I rather not had and how I overcame it.   Answer Question
    • What type of cultural environment do I prefer working in?   Answer Question

Legal Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Toyota North America (Plano, TX) in May 2017.

Interview

The interview process is perhaps one of the most painful procedures I have ever been through. 3+ months, almost 8 hours of taking off current employment (using personal vacation time) for interviews, and 18 in-person interviews later, and there is still no communication from Toyota as to the next steps or whether is there still consideration for the position despite the fact that I was told during the last round of face-to-face interviews that I was being considered for more than the one position for which I applied.

The interviews with managers and supervisors were productive with positive dialogue. However, the interview with peers had a negative tone when some peers came across as angry that they had to leave California while others talked negatively about Texas.

Have tried to reach out to the HR contacts just to obtain a status, and have been unsuccessful thus far. The frustration is not so much the negative peer attitude towards Texas, but the lack of communication and transparency. Would appreciate a courtesy of an update even if it is touching base to say there is still no determination.

I keep hearing that Toyota is a great place because it cares about its employees. That is one of the reasons why North Texas candidates are excited for a chance to join, but this lack of communication is making me have second thoughts about the genuineness of the people and how the company really operates.

Guess they can string you along because they are Toyota.

Interview Questions

• From a peer: Why do you say you have "this" experience when you really don't? Essentially being accusatory.   2 Answers

Toyota North America Response

Jun 12, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write the review and we appreciate the time you invested in the interview process. The process that you described is not in line with our culture or the candidate ... More

Customer Relations Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Toyota North America (Plano, TX) in May 2017.

Interview

Applied online, then received an email to a link to take an assessment (customer service scenarios, multitasking, typing speed, etc.). A few days later, I received a phone call saying I had passed the test and they wanted to set up a phone interview.

I had my phone interview, which was very basic and laid back- description of the job, benefits, etc., as well as the usual questions that would be expected for a position like this one. At the end of the phone interview, I was told I would most likely hear back Thursday (2 days from then) on whether or not I would be given an in person interview the following Tuesday.

I got an email Wednesday evening saying, verbatim,
    "Shortly you will receive an email invite from Toyota's Talent system confirming your interview next week for the Toyota Customer Relations Representative position."
    I waited for that email invite, but instead received an email Thursday saying they had moved on with other candidates.

I contacted the lady explaining the two conflicting emails that I had gotten and asking if she would be able to clear the situation up for me. Her response as to why I received both emails really didn't make sense, and ultimately she said that I was not selected to move forward.

Overall, the process was very well organized with a lot of communication, which both are rare to come by these days. I would have rated this interview process very positively despite not getting the job, had I only received the second email. I only see two possible options as to what happened- either the first email was sent to me by accident, or the first email was worded very incorrectly (saying you WILL receive an invite CONFIRMING your interview next week...never saying "if"). Either way, very disappointing, especially for a great company like Toyota.

Interview Questions

Toyota North America Response

May 16, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to interview and for leaving this detailed review. We apologize for any confusion in the interview process and have forwarded this on to the appropriate team to follow ... More

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

Interview

I applied on April 9th. I was contacted and asked to take an assessment online on April 30th. Received an email stating I had passed and they set up a phone interview for May 10th. Call lasted 55 minutes. Asked 5 questions. Told me about the job. I then was set up for an in person interview. Asked 5 questions. Interview lasted 45 minutes. Met with recruiter and one other interviewer.

Interview Questions

• All STAR behavior questions. Why do you want to work for Toyota? Tell me about a time you had to negotiate with someone. Tell me where you see yourself 5 years from now.   Answer Question

Customer Relations Representative Interview

Application

Interview

I applied online. I received a phone call 2 weeks later to schedule a phone interview. After my phone interview, I was scheduled for an in-person interview. Before my in-person interview, I was provided with some information about how the interview would be conducted along with some practice interview questions. They are really into the STAR interview format at Toyota (Situation, Task, Action, Result). I learned and practiced this technique in college, but using it on the spot in real life was a bit difficult.
    My interviewer seemed uninterested the entire time. He wasn't friendly or inviting. It seemed like he had been doing a lot of interviews, and he was just tired of doing them. He didn't really look at me when I was speaking, he just took notes the whole time. I didn't have a lot of experience because I am a new college grad, so I feel that that simple fact was enough for him not to give me a chance to prove myself.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had to adapt to any major company changes in your workplace? How did you adapt?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about your past work experiences.   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time when you had to weigh the pros and cons of a workplace situation. How did you make a decision?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time when you had to handle multiple tasks at once in the workplace. How did you do it?   Answer Question
    • What made you decide to apply for a position at Toyota? What was it about Toyota that drew you to the company?   Answer Question
    • Do you have any questions for me? (They obviously ask this. And you should have some quality questions to ask, or they won't be impressed).   Answer Question

Team Lead Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Toyota North America (Dallas, TX) in April 2017.

Interview

Long interview process, but was well worth the wait! Can't complain about steps they take to hire someone to work for their company. Overall I liked the interviewing process and the people I got to meet

Engineering Technician - Quality Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Erlanger, KY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Toyota North America (Erlanger, KY) in April 2017.

Interview

Received a phone call first, about 3 days later I received another phone call asking to go to Kentucky (from Dallas) for a personal interview. Then received an email with forms, instructions and directions to the plant. Flew out a week later. Met with the hiring manager and another employee. Received a number of STAR type scenarios/questions and finally some behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell about a time you were given a challenge and didn't meet the deadline and what was the final result.   Answer Question