Wegmans Food Markets Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sign Up for FREE in seconds to unlock millions of salaries and reviews

Wegmans Food Markets Interview Questions

Updated May 19, 2018

2.7

Meat Department Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Wegmans Food Markets (Chantilly, VA) in May 2018.

Interview

Few things to always take into consideration. Don’t get try and fool these people. Don’t try and sound good or tell them what they want to hear. Just be yourself and be honest because if you aren’t they will find out. Don’t give up keep trying persistence pays off.

It starts with an online application and or if you’re lucky. Sometimes they hold hiring events at their HR offices.

For me I’ve put in many online applications. Some have been accepted. Many have been rejected. The online applications only would get as far as a phone interview followed by the rejection email saying they’re no longer looking into my application. Don’t let this discourage you. You have to understand thousands to millions do these online applications. You’re in a pool with a lot of other possible candidates.

Recently found out they were doing in person interviews at their hiring office. This interview takes the place of the phone interview and the on line application. So there’s not really an advantage to doing this over an online application except they get to meet you and it shows determination more than just an online application. These little things add up and they like that!

Online Application
    Phone interview
    In person interview
    Second in person interview
    Drug test and Background screening
    Orientation

Few things I want to touch base on.

Show up early.
    Dress business professional.
    Don’t say what they want to hear. Just be you and relaxed.
    Be honest about your past jobs. Even if you quit they will find out.
    When they ask if you have any questions at the end I suggest having some question. It shows you’re interested.
    Complete any paperwork or whatever they want you to do ASAP.
    They will ask you about income. Don’t shoot high because there is no negotiation. They won’t tell you what departments make. So look into that. Also understand there’s room for raises and promotion within. 8-14$

Interview Questions

• What’s exceptional customer service to you and when did you experience a time when this wasn’t met   Answer Question
    • What would you do in a situation with a customer who had a question you couldn’t answer?   Answer Question

Cheese Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Wegmans Food Markets (Richmond, VA) in April 2018.

Interview

Applied online then received an email a couple days later saying I was selected for an interview. I had to call in and set up a phone interview with the hiring manager. A few days later I had my phone interview. The interview felt interrogative and didn't give much opportunity to show myself as a person. The person interviewing was taking notes and didn't ask questions besides those on whatever prompt she had, which I assume was why the whole thing felt awkward. The interview lasted for 25 minutes. The interviewer told me I would get a reply back in up to three business days on whether or not I got the job. Two days later I got the rejection letter.

Customer Service - Prepared Foods Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Wegmans Food Markets in April 2018.

Interview

Applied online. Got a call the next evening to set up a phone interview. Interview took place a week later. Was told that if I would receive a call within a week from the hiring manager if I was being considered. Got an email over a week later saying that they had rejected my application.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Wegmans Food Markets (Malvern, PA) in April 2018.

Interview

Friendly, sweet and caring interviewer. Asked about general things, what I would like to do there, how I would feel doing certain jobs. Also how I felt about working with the public.

Interview Questions

• How long do I see myself working for Wegmans'   1 Answer

Part Time Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Wegmans Food Markets (Malvern, PA) in April 2018.

Interview

I was not impressed with the process. I am someone making a life change but was enthusiastic about Wegmans, knowing I would take a huge pay cut, but wanted to understand the career options. Start on the ground floor and move up.

The recruiter would not relent on getting an answer about what my salary expectations were although I even joked that I didnt know what minimum wage was. What was disappointing was in the end I specifically asked if I wasn’t clear on anything. And mentioned I would hate to not get the position (I applied for THREE) based on a lack of clarity vs. lack of qualifications. She said she was clear. Two days later I get rejected on all three jobs. There is no doubt is was due to being clueless on salary expectations but a good recruiter would have understood and clarified my motivation. It wasn’t about money as I am blessed that I am in a good place financially. It was building equity in a company now for the time that requirement hits as well as making a shift from corporate America to a family run company.

Wegmans would have gotten a bargain with me. I am a ridiculously hard working, educated, great references, but the recruiter was unable to think out of the box or clarify to understand even though I shared that having lost both parents, within months of one another, had caused me to reevaluate my professional direction. I am sure she thought the my expectations were out of whack, I would get bored and I would leave. She was incorrect on all accounts. A face to face or a second phone call was warranted.

I felt there was no ability to show ones personality or motivation. I felt the recruiter was mechanical in her approach. They can find me at Trader Joe’s.

Interview Questions

• What are your salary expectations (ridiculous question vs. saying what the salary average is (or range) and seeing if that is in keeping with what one is expecting.   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Wegmans Food Markets (New York, NY) in March 2018.

Interview

I applied online and within two or three days i received a call telling me to schedule an over the phone interview. the over the phone interview took about 35 min and they asked me basic questions about availability and some situational questions. At the conclusion of the interview i was told i would be contacted if i was going to be considered for the job. about 3-4 days later i was contacted to schedule an in person interview. i went to the store and the interview took about 25 minutes and they asked situational questions and things that had to do with organization. at the conclusion of that interview i was told i would be contacted within a week to let me know. about 3 days after that i received an email saying that my application was no longer being considered.

Interview Questions

• What are the advantages and disadvantages of working on a team?   Answer Question
    • What would you do if there was an angry customer?   Answer Question
    • What is a new food you have tried recently?   Answer Question
    • How did you make sure that someone really understood something you just explained to them?   Answer Question

Cook Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethlehem, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Wegmans Food Markets (Bethlehem, PA).

Interview

Submit an online application( they don't take/give physical copies of it at the store ). It immensely helps to have someone recommend you as they will actually look at your resume then. You will then have one or two 15-30 minute phone call interviews if they like your resume. If they still like you then they will have one to two sit down interviews where they will basically ask you the same questions they did online and on the phone. They might throw you a few random questions they didn't ask before but it's all basically the same. They then will get back to you in anywhere from a week to a month after a background check.

Interview Questions

• What does diversity mean to you? What do you do with an unruly customer? Do you believe in rules? Do you have any cooking experience? What is a dish you promoted to a friend? What does high standards mean to you? What does empowerment mean to you? What does respect mean to you?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Wegmans Food Markets in March 2018.

Interview

I applied for two positions that I was interested in exploring. Wegmans emailed me from a 'noreply' anonymous email address to express interest in my application for position A. I also received a phone call from a recruiter expressing interest in me. I was invited to a phone interview but told the incorrect time, which led to confusion and made me look bad despite my writing it down immediately upon being told. They were an hour and ten minutes late.

The interview was extremely uncomfortable due to its bizarrely hostile tone. It was an interrogation and an exercise of mental gymnastics. The interviewer was even laughing quietly in between my answers and seemed distracted as she later would demonstrate that she was not listening to me fully as she was typing my replies for her records. She was repeating incorrect information back to me at times. The thing that really discouraged me was that I did not know until the middle of the phone interview that I was suddenly only being considered for position B and not the position the email had identified. Which also reflected negatively on me despite it not being my wrongdoing. I gave up at that point.

The entire experience was very detrimental to my opinion of the company and raised many questions about the validity of its hiring practices and why Wegmans allowed this individual to be in a critical role... Luckily, I was not offered a position - I would have declined it since I was shaking by the end of the interrogation and the experience even bothered me well into the next day as I had been left feeling verbally steamrolled.

Interview Questions

• Where else have you previously worked that isn't provided in your application?
      Do you understand it is considered dishonesty to not disclose ALL previous employers?
      What exact dates did you work for your employers?   1 Answer
    • What is your five year plan?   1 Answer
    • Why did you apply at Wegmans?   1 Answer
    • You applied for two positions?
      Do you even know what position you are interviewing for?   1 Answer
    • Do you have any questions for me?
      I feel you already know the answer to that, are you asking me to still answer it?   1 Answer

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Wegmans Food Markets in March 2018.

Interview

Buffalo, NY-I applied and asked my friend who already worked there to put in a good word and the day that she did i got a email to schedule the phone interview. The phone interview was such a breeze not hard at all!! at the end of my phone interview she asked me to schedule my in person interview. It was for a week later and when I went to the in person interview I found the questions to be much more challenging. All the questions were along the lines of “tell me a time where....” and they wanted specific examples there was about 15 questions along those lines. it was my first interview and I was nervous that I would not be offered the position but 2 days after the in person interview I received a phone call that informed me I was offered the position!!

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time where you didn’t get along with the group leader (specific example)   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time where you had to convince someone of your idea   Answer Question
    • if a team member isn’t pulling his/her weight what would you do   Answer Question
    • tell me a time when you didn’t get along with the team leader   Answer Question

Service Team Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in State College, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Wegmans Food Markets (State College, PA) in March 2018.

Interview

Wegmans had a prompt response to my application and, through the entire process, they were very communicative. I particularly appreciated that within a few days of the final interview they informed me that I was no longer being considered for the position. I was a little stern in salary negotiations- no regrets- I was surprised at how minimal the compensation was considering their positive reputation. I wish they had clearly posted the expected compensation to save everyone time.

I had two telephone interviews, both of which were extremely robotic. The questions were highly script and often only involved a yes or no answer. Only a few of the questions required any sort of creative answer. Questions such as- 'Can you preform stated duty X' or 'Would you prefer to work in X department or Y department' or 'Are you okay with repetitive movement' or 'Can you work nights and weekends' Apparently these questions were so important they had two ask them twice! Once on the application and again in a telephone interview.

Overall positive- if only because of their prompt communication.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you went above and beyond.   1 Answer