Western Governors University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Western Governors University

2.6

Placement Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Western Governors University (Salt Lake City, UT) in January 2017.

Interview

very quick turnaround from when I talked to them to when my appt was scheduled. I met at the main office in SLC, UT and had an in person and on phone interview with all managers

Interview Questions

• How I would handle multiple students and tight deadlines   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Western Governors University (Salt Lake City, UT) in January 2016.

Interview

On day 1, I met with the Manager of Software Engineering for about an hour. I explained my background and experience. I answered a number of technical questions related to the position which involves RESTful Web Service development and general object oriented programming concepts. Day 2 (the next day), I met in the room with 3 people. This included the same manager, the Director of Mobile Development, and a Sr. Engineer. I was asked to explain my background and experience. The Director asked me some object oriented programming questions. I was then tasked with writing pseudo code on the white board for a basic REST service.

Multiple Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Western Governors University (Salt Lake City, UT) in March 2016.

Interview

I interviewed for two different jobs about 3 1/2 years apart. The first was for a mid level position - something like a course mentor, but I honestly don't remember the exact title. The interview was short and on site. I had 3 people asking me very basic questions and they described themselves as the "old sages" of Western Governors. They collectively had about 5-6 years experience working there, so that seemed like a bad sign. The questions were not difficult or especially specific, very general fare like "describe a work conflict and how you resolved it." At the end of the interview it was indicated that they were very interested in moving forward with my application and I would hear something "within a week." At least 2 months passed before I got a general "thanks for playing" email.

After this less than stellar experience I was hesitant to apply again even though I saw what would basically be my dream job offered (I'm not including the title since it's very specific). I did not apply but was later contacted by a recruiter. He convinced me to send my CV to him and to schedule a time to talk about the position. This phone call was supposed to be 10-15 minutes but ended up being 30 and was very much an interview. We had a nice chat, even though he was trying WAAAAAYYY too hard to convince me of the legitimacy of WGU. He told me he was passing my application on and that I would be contacted within 10 days and that if I hadn't heard anything by then I was supposed to let him know. 10 days passed with no follow up so I sent a brief "hey remember me?" email. No reply. It's been nearly a month since our first communication and almost 3 weeks since I was told I would hear something in no more than 10 days. I still might hear back but communication has been either instant to the point of being pushy or non existent.

Both experiences have indicated a great level of enthusiasm on their part followed by cut off communication. I hope this doesn't sound like sour grapes because I wasn't offered the jobs. I'm quite employable and was unsure of working there to begin with. I fully understand employers get busy and focus their time and energy on the person they intend to hire, but it's inexcusable to reach out to someone, get their hopes up, and then cut off contact.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Western Governors University (Salt Lake City, UT) in October 2018.

Interview

I did a screener on the phone and it went really well, so I was fully expecting an interview. Over two weeks later I haven't heard ANYTHING from the company at all. Disgustingly unprofessional. Imagine what it's like on the inside.

IT Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Western Governors University (Salt Lake City, UT) in September 2014.

Interview

The Department Manager and a Senior IT person interviewed me in a friendly, professional manner. They were mostly interest in how well I knew IT and didn't ask that many questions about the resume. The questions were of the "How do you handle this situation?" type or "Are you familiar with this command in DOS?" I would then explain what i knew about the command.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about the ipconfig command?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Not needed; it was determined by negotiation with the recruiter and University.

Admissions Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Western Governors University (Salt Lake City, UT) in February 2015.

Interview

Pretty straight forward, basically trying to see if you are a good fit. Detailing how their company works and their history. The job duties and expectations are covered of course and then you get to ask questions about the company.

Interview Questions

• How do you react to working with a large group of people.   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Western Governors University (Salt Lake City, UT) in March 2016.

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter over LinkedIn. Spoke to a junior recruiter on the phone who screened me, then his supervisor. Then I had a brief phone interview with the Marketing Director who invited me to come in for face-to-face interviews with her, the CMO and others. Had another phone interview after with the VP of marketing. They asked for references and were pretty thorough. Offer came in, I submitted a counter-offer which they accepted two days later.

Mentor Interview

Interview

The interview process was long but simple. The questions were pretty basic without anything too challenging. I wasn't sure how the interview was going with the recruiter as they were pretty average.

Interview Questions

• Provide the most recent project you participated in and what the aspects were.   Answer Question

Admissions Counselor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Western Governors University (Salt Lake City, UT).

Interview

I had a phone interview which was pretty basic. The woman interviewing me asked a couple questions that asked me to give multiple answers but would cut me off after I gave one example. She also had me watch a commencement video and study up on competency based learned but never asked about either.

She set up an in person interview for the next week, sent a confirmation email, and then called the day before the interview to make sure I had the right time. I got a call about an hour before the interview from a man telling me I was late I asking if I got lost. I told him I thought the interview wasn't for another hour and he told me I made a mistake and unless I could get to his office in the next 5 minutes they were going to remove my application from the pool. I called the woman who had conducted my phone interview who confirmed my interview wasn't for another hour but when I told her what happened she said "Well, then you must have made a mistake.". I had two conversations with her where she said the interview was at 11AM and an email but that didn't matter. I got a call a few minutes after my interview time from the man who called me earlier saying they made a mistake and I was right - so why was I late? I hung up the phone.

If this University has so many problems with the interview process I'm not interesting in working there.

HRBP Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Western Governors University (Tempe, AZ) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied online and was sent a canned screening invitation a week later. I made an error on the request and emailed the sender, with no response. I was able to use the same invitation to schedule a later screen.

The phone screen lasted about 30 minutes with the recruiter. He had said the hiring manager wanted to know more about me. At the end I was told he'd submit my information to the manager who I should expect to review it in two to three days. It's been two weeks and no response. No response from the recruiter to my follow-up either.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your experience working with compensation plans.   Answer Question