Yahoo Software Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Yahoo Software Developer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 17, 2017

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Yahoo (Champaign, IL) in March 2017.

Interview

phone interview apply online and then apply for full time. I answer mostly correct but still being rejected. Take an hour to finish and test every fundamental knowledge about programming

Interview Questions

• lots of syntax question, OO design, and online coding about string, and many linux commands
    syntax:
    the difference between C and C++, integer and float, float and double
    definition of pointer, OO concept, linker process
    many questions about linux command
    Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Yahoo

Software Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

Applied online. Screening Interview and then two phone interviews with engineers at Yahoo. Mostly Java based object-oriented programming. Some theoretical concepts about Java garbage collection. Simple sort and search algorithms.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Urbana, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (Urbana, IL) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied through college career fair, got a email few days after. The phone interview took about 45 minutes, mostly technical questions, include 1 coding problem. I mess up the phone interview because I was nervous.

Software Development Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo in October 2015.

Interview

Got the interview through campus recruitment. Two rounds of phone screens. First one was with the hiring manager. Asked me one coding question which was fairly straightforward. A few days later was emailed saying they'd like to have another phone interview with another member of the same team. That was quite simple as well. Got the offer the following week.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Yahoo in November 2013.

Interview

Got selected by answering few technical questions during the career fair. Few weeks later got email to schedule an interview the next days. Two rounds of technical interview.

Questions about Networking, dynamic programming. Team requirement:
    Data and communication
    Distributed Systems

Interview Questions

• Dynamic Algorithm: All possible ways to reach a floor in a building if you can only tak 1 2 or 5 steps at a time   Answer Question
    • If you a huge dataset of numbers across multiple computers. How will you find the average of all the numbers.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in November 2012.

Interview

The interview process with Yahoo began with a simple chat with a recruiter at my college career fair. Afterwards, I received an email asking me to apply online. What was different from most other companies is I didn't get a phone screen and instead Yahoo simply set up an on-site interview and flew me into their headquarters as part of a program known as Yahoo days.

When I arrived at the on-site, there were many other candidates there for the program. After signing in, we were all escorted to a large room where we were given an introduction of Yahoo and the program that they were doing. It seemed that this program was especially targeted at university graduates. After that we took a quick tour of the campus followed by lunch. Afterwards, we were all taken into separate rooms by our first interviewer.

There were a total of 4 interviews and it seemed each interview was focused on a specific area including data structures & algorithms, c/c++ or c/java programming, object-oriented/system design, and database/debugging/misc. The interviewers seemed like they had freedom to conduct the interview however they pleased. In general, all of the interviewers asked me questions about my resume and then lead into the more specific area targeted by the interview.

Interview Questions

• You are given a database table that keeps track of student data. The fields contain id, name, major, current year. How would you improve this table to be more efficient?   3 Answers

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Yahoo (San Francisco, CA) in June 2011.

Interview

It was very simple,
    I was asked to crack one skill test on skillexam.com, And that was the main phase of the interview. After that they called me for interview as my marks were very good and 'skillexam' is not an easy skill test. And that round was only negotiation round they didn't asked technical questions to me! simply I got oppointment letter after 10 working days and still I am working in Yahoo, CA.

Interview Questions

• all questions were descriptive now I don't remember but you may find it on skillexam.com.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Yahoo (Santa Clara, CA) in October 2010.

Interview

I was first called for a phone interview which was pretty simple and straightforward mainly asking questions on Data Structures and design related.
    The after a week i was called for an onsite interview with 4 people.
    The 1st round went well the interviewer asked me to write a tictactoe game on whiteboard.
    The 2nd round went bad as the person kept asking me some mathematical problems.
    The 3rd round went ok with the manager asked me few testing and QA questions which i suppose did not answer that well.
    The 4th round was useless. The interviewer was just wasting time and reading my resume and seeing the clock.

Overall the interview experience sucked as they really did not test my skills.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Yahoo in August 2009.

Interview

Was contacted by hiring manager. Conducted with a phone interview. Flew to Yahoo! HQ for rounds of in-person interviews.

People are very nice there. Total 8 people were involved including architect, QA, director, developers etc. Questions are ranging from coding, OO design, behaviours, past projects.