Yahoo Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Yahoo Interview Questions

Updated Feb 16, 2017

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview

Applied through email and just did one round of phone interview, it is easy, asking many basic and some open end questions about SQL, C/C++/Java and focusing on basic usage and OOP concept with some hard bonus questions. Coding questions are also easy, just string manipulations. Got on-site invite several days later.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yahoo (San Jose, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

The interviewer asked me to solve a mini project consisted of 3 sub-problems in about 50 min. I was allowed to google or check language reference online (I used Java), as long as I don't resort to another person for help. The project is about String processing.

Interview Questions

• Generate a random String which can be separated into several "words" by spaces. Split the string to a list of words and print out the longest word with unique characters.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yahoo (Buffalo, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied online on yahoo website. A few days later got a call from one of the recruiters saying some managers are looking at my resume and they will tell in a day or two. Two days later I got a call from the same recruiter saying one of the managers has selected my resume for further screening. Then scheduled a phone screen interview a few days later.

Interview Questions

• First asked about my college projects. Then asked me if we have a lot of data and want to sort it what would you do. Then gave me a list of sorted list, I had to merge it into one sorted list.   Answer Question

Production Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Yahoo (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

The interviewer will introduce the position structure of Yahoo. Then he will ask you some technical problems about the backend area. There is no coding in my interview. But the interviewer ask many problem solving questions. The importance of the interview is knowledge of server and linux command. Also he will ask some questions about the network.

Interview Questions

• If there is a long latency for a java application in server, what's wrong?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Got 2 phone screen interviews after submitting my resume. Interviewing with two managers from different teams. Each phone screen was 60 minutes. Managers talked about the their teams and Yahoo products, cultures. I think my phone interviews went well but I didn't get an onsite interview after two phone screen interviews for no reason.

Interview Questions

• One coding challenge consists of three parts. String processing. Find the longest string contains common substring in a string array.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at Yahoo (Portland, OR).

Interview

I had a brief phone interview followed by an in-person committee interview for an immediate hire. I thought it went well, did not hear from then until one year later when they offered me the job. I never received any contact or had any responses from my follow-up emails.

Negotiation

Wasn't interested since the offer was 1 year after the interview.

Security Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Yahoo (San Jose, CA).

Interview

There are two telephonic Interviews. In the first interview, I was asked IP table related coding questions. In the second telephonic interview, I was asked a binary search tree related problem.

Software Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

Applied online. Screening Interview and then two phone interviews with engineers at Yahoo. Mostly Java based object-oriented programming. Some theoretical concepts about Java garbage collection. Simple sort and search algorithms.

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Yahoo (New York, NY).

Interview

My interview process was stepped up due to timing issues. I interviewed with the full team and HR in the same day. Lots of smart, nice people here at Yahoo in Sunnyvale.

Anonymous Employee in La Jolla, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (La Jolla, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

I talked to a software engineer at a career fair. The recruiter liked me and scheduled a technical interview 3 days later. The interview was technical phone one, where he asked me questions about basic data structure/algorithms (problem solving). The interviewer was very helpful in giving me hints. It took a while for them to get back to me though.