Electrical engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Electrical engineer Interview Questions

"When entering an electrical engineering interview, be prepared to answer a lot of technical questions that will evaluate your problem-solving skills and fundamental understanding of engineering and physics. The precise questions you will be asked will depend heavily on the type of role you're applying for, so make sure to familiarize yourself with the company and its line of work ahead of time. To ace your interview, come ready to tackle behavioral questions your ability to excel on a team and manage difficult projects."

Top Interview Questions

Sort: RelevancePopular Date

Q2: A pnp transistor with its base connected to a voltage source, the V source is connected to a +10V source. The emitter of the transistor is connected to a resistance, and then to the same +10V source. The collector side is connected to a capacitor, which is not charged at t=0-. Given the graph of Vsource = 10 V stepping up at t = 0 to further, draw the graph of Vout. Vout is between the point of collector and capacitor.

3 Answers

ANS: Vout should be constantly -10V until t=0, and will hit V=0 V linearly from V=-10 V after t=0.

Hi, Can you explain why it linearly increases? Are you assuming that Collector is tied to -10V? The pnp transistor is completely cutoff for the given biasing. The only way the capacitor is going to charge is through leakage currents. It is very slow and takes a lot of time. Please advise me if my analysis is correct.

I just made it back from Lutron's HQ and I was asked for the same question. My first approach will be identifying a PNP BJT, and elaborating all 4 BJT operating regions. Before t = 0, since q = 0, by using Q = CV, we can tell that the voltage across the capacitor is 0. Hence, Vo = -10V before t = 0. Recall the capacitor's current equation: I = C*(dv/dt), we can solve for the slope of changing voltage -> dv/dt = I/C. Here, I is simply the BJT's collector current, which can be found by looking at the BJT's emitter current. Given that the (beta) parameter is infinite, we see the base current to be 0. Now, at this point, we need to look for I_E. Since the R is given to be 9.3k, and VEE = 10V, it is natural to assume V_EB = 0.7V, and thus the voltage across R = 9.3V. Therefore, I_E = 9.3/9300 = 1mA. Voila, we now values for all currents: I_E = I_C = 1mA, and I_B = 0A. Plug the I_C value into the equation: I_C/C = dv/dt (C = 1uF). We know that the slope of the voltage change is 1000V/second, or 1 Volt per millisecond. Now, we know the capacitor voltage raises at 1V/ms from -10V, but we also need to know where is the upper limit. Looking back to the BJT basics about operating regions and BJT's 2-diode model, it is not hard to identify that this PNP BJT must operate in "Saturation" region (NOT IN "ACTIVE" REGION!). The boundary of that region is V_BC <= 0.7V (I hope everybody is able to solve for this). Hence, 0.7V will be the upper limit for capacitor voltage. At this point, you will have a flat line at Vo = -10V before t = 0. and raises at 1V/ms for 10.7ms and hit Vo = 0.7V. From t = 10.7ms and on, the Vo stays at 0.7V.

Draw the circuit for an active low-pass filter.

2 Answers

How do you represent a real-world quantity in a digital system?

1 Answer

If a conveyor motor trips out, how do you diagnose it?

1 Answer

A boat is in a swimming pool and there is a rock in the boat. What happens to the level of water if the rock is thrown out of the boat?

5 Answers

Q: What does a capacitor look like at high frequency?

4 Answers

What represents P, in P=IV

3 Answers

What would the current response look like if a magnet passed through a coiled wire?

What is a transformer?

3 Answers

What is your current compensation? We can not progress any further in the interview process without knowing how much you are paid! What is your current compensation?

2 Answers