Google Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.3

1. Helpful (2019)

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

Direct onsite because I interviewed in the past and did well that time. From the time I sent my resume to interview day: 2 weeks. From interview day to offer over the phone: 2 weeks.

The syllabus for the interviews is very clear and simple:
    1) Dynamic Programming
    2) Super recursion (permutation, combination,...2^n, m^n, n!...etc. type of program. (NP hard, NP programs)
    3) Probability related programs
    4) Graphs: BFS/DFS are usually enough
    5) All basic data structures from Arrays/Lists to circular queues, BSTs, Hash tables, B-Trees, and Red-Black trees, and all basic algorithms like sorting, binary search, median,...
    6) Problem solving ability at a level similar to TopCoder Division 1, 250 points. If you can consistently solve these, then you are almost sure to get in with 2-weeks brush up.
    7) Review all old interview questions in Glassdoor to get a feel. If you can solve 95% of them at home (including coding them up quickly and testing them out in a debugger + editor setup), you are in good shape.
    8) Practice coding--write often and write a lot. If you can think of a solution, you should be able to code it easily...without much thought.
    9) Very good to have for design interview: distributed systems knowledge and practical experience.
    10) Good understanding of basic discrete math, computer architecture, basic math.
    11) Coursera courses and assignments give a lot of what you need to know.
    12) Note that all the above except the first 2 are useful in "real life" programming too!

Interview 1:
    Graph related question and super recursion

Interview 2:
    Design discussion involving a distributed system with writes/reads going on at different sites in parallel.

Interview 3:
    Array and Tree related questions

Interview 4:
    Designing a simple class to do something. Not hard, but not easy either. You need to know basic data structures very well to consider different designs and trade-offs.

Interview 5:
    Dynamic programming,
    Computer architecture and low level perf. enhancement question which requires knowledge of Trees, binary search, etc.

At the end, I wasn't tired and rather enjoyed the discussions. I think the key was long term preparation and time spent doing topcoder for several years (on and off as I enjoy solving the problems).

Conclusion: "It's not the best who win the race; it's the best prepared who win it."

Negotiation

You can and should negotiate politely. You are in a stronger position if you have another offer, but even otherwise, you should ask for more of every type of payment!

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google in April 2015.

Interview

Phone interview:
    The Interviewer was late for 20 mins... Ask nothing on my resume.
    Tow questions:
    1) A string consists of ‘0’, ‘1’ and '?'. The question mark can be either '0' or '1'. Find all possible combinations for a string.
    2) Give you a text file, remove duplicated lines.
        Follow up: If the file is very large, general hash map takes too much spaces, come up with a better solution.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Had a phone screen and went straight to onsite because I had other strong offers already on the table. The onsite was 4 1-hour technical interviews. Some tested me on straight algo programming problems, others asked me more system design questions.

Like with most other companies, all interviews are introduced as "conversations" where you work together with the interviewers towards a solution. I found this to be true for the most part besides one notable exception.

My last interviewer for the day seemed like he was having a bad day or something. He clearly didn't want to be there, and seemed to express obvious dislike towards me. His question was: "Tell me how you would make Google Maps, and what technical decision-making you would go through?"

That question is straightforward enough as far as system design questions go. The problem here is how that question process went. Generally in these kinds of interviews, you don't want to make assumptions, and you'll ask several clarifying questions to help tackle the problem in a focused way. The interviewer refused to answer my questions, and spent most of the interview on his phone, apparently texting. When I finished with the system design part, he asked me to "Implement part of Google Maps with actual code". I asked for clarifying questions about this part, because Google Maps is a giant undertaking, and his exact words were "I'm not here to try to help you pass this interview". Cool.

When my recruiter got back to me, she said she had the good news that I made it to the stage of Google deciding what kind of offer they would want to get me, and that I was going to preallocated to the Daydream team, which was the team I had expressed interest in.

A couple of weeks later, I got a phone call saying that I was actually not being given an offer. When I asked why, she said one of my interviewers came back with strong negative feedback, and made a case to the reviewing panel that I should not get hired, and that feedback overruled the otherwise glowing feedback I had from my other three interviewers. I told her about my experience with the Google Maps guy, but she said her hands were tied, and I believed her because I know large companies don't tend to give their recruiters much say in hiring decisions.

Idk. I get it. There are going to be bad interviewers at every company, especially a corporate monolith like Google where plenty will slip through the cracks. Just unfortunate that I had to be on the receiving end of one of them, and that one bad person in the whole process can derail your potential offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me how you would make Google Maps, and what technical decision-making you would go through?   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY).

Interview

Sailed through the initial phone interview (a series of technical stats questions) and then moved to a virtual onsite. This was 5 back to back 45min interviews with other employees, and no break in between sessions. With one exception, everyone seemed rushed, unhappy, and totally uninterested in their work. One interviewer was nearly impossible to communicate with bc of echoing sounds on mic and poor English language skills. It was live coding and or doing math in a Google doc for 90% of the time on complex problems that interviewers seemed to expect a quick simple answer for, rather than a discussion of trade-offs under different scenarios. Responses to my follow up questions were generally misleading or unhelpful. The most useless "brain teaser" task was to derive the CDF of an exotic distribution I had not worked with before but could simply be looked up in 2s on Wikipedia. This came after three other questions I had already solved. I'm not sure what they're selecting on here but it was a genuinely bad experience and the interview day provided a strong signal that it would not be a good fit for me. Not surprised about the outcome, but it was a real waste of my time and the recruiter provided zero feedback about the rejection because of "NDA policy".

Interview Questions

• write code to generate iid draws from distribution X when we only have access to a random number generator   Answer Question

Interview

very nice. The interviewers will guide you through questions. If you have a hint, you will do it very quickly. The questions are back to back technical questions. Two medium to hard coding questions.

Interview Questions

• back to back technical questions. Two medium to hard coding questions.   1 Answer

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

Recruiter from google contacted me via LinkedIn. After first screening round she organized an interview with hiring manager. That interview call was for 45 minutes. Interview process was one of the best but Google needs to find a better person who can interview well. If google is expecting interviewee should be in the quite place so interviewee is expecting the same from the interviewer. That google employee was not professional at all, he brings his son in the process. Constant disturbance was going on and he was into his son questions. Mr. Google employee, you shouldn’t have to come with your personal problem in the interview, you are playing with someone’s dream. I am very disappointed with that person. How company like google does this?

Interview Questions

• Questions are on product design and strategy   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

I applied online to the software engineering rotational program at Google. I was subject to several 45 minute technical phone interviews proctored in Google sheets, where I was asked varying questions to gauge my knowledge of data structures and algorithms.

Interview Questions

• Standard algorithms and data structures questions.   2 Answers

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google in June 2020.

Interview

I received an email from Google approximately 1 week after I submitted my resume. The recruiter scheduled a phone interview for me two weeks out with confirmations. The morning of the interview, the recruiter reached out to wish me good luck, and to contact him immediately following the interview. The interviewer never showed up. I immediately connected my recruiter 15 minutes after the start time with no response. After an hour went by, I connected my recruiter again - no response. The recruiter did not get back to me until the next morning apologizing for his late reply - never apologized or provided an explanation for the no-show. I was rescheduled for later that week. The interviewer did show up this time; however, was very dry. There were no formal introductions, and I was not given an opportunity to provide any information relating to my professional experience. The interviewer went straight into his 4 questions and it was a robotic like experience (which is ironic because some of his questions were based on robots). He kept saying, 'interesting' after each of my answers, and I felt defeated and didn't give much more effort. His approach and the overall experience made me feel like they did not value my time or take my application seriously. As a product manager, user experience is important, and this entire experience has demonstrated to me that Google does not value their candidate experience during the application process.

Interview Questions

• 1. Pick an App on your phone and explain what you like/do not like about it.   1 Answer
    • 2. Pretend Google Next wants to acquire iRobot. What do you look for/how do you position.   Answer Question
    • 3. You have to design a robot with no screen. What is it, and how will it be designed?   1 Answer
    • 4. An airport closed down for a day due to inclement weather. How long does it take to get caught up?   Answer Question

Corporate Interview

Interview

Be careful when you have recruiters from this company reach out to you. Yes, it's Google, but do not expect the process or people to be any better.

I was contacted by a recruiter and asked for for a ton of personal information over email, without even getting on a 1:1 conversation to gauge you as a person. I was kept on hold for an entire month, asked for more personal information every week that had nothing to do with my professional qualifications. I actually questioned the legitimacy of this conversation at one point. The recruiter would not clarify my questions on next steps, fit, general process or even schedule a preliminary phone call for an exploratory conversation. At the end, this recruiter abruptly ended our email exchanges by stating Google is no longer interested in continuing the conversation. So why did they reach out to begin with?

Highly, highly unprofessional and I am surprised this comes from a company like Google. If anyone on the recruiting team is reading this, if you expect your candidates to have high standards, first hold yourselves to it and stop wasting people's time, unless you are genuine committed to working with that person.

Engineering Resident Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Interview consisted of two, 45 minute, back-to-back phone calls where you will answer leetcode style questions over google docs. Study data structures and algorithms on leetcode and you will do well