Active Network Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Dana Jones

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Absolutely no work life balance (in 33 reviews)

• Upper management didn't always see the bigger picture (in 44 reviews)

1. "A Great Place to Grow!"

Current Employee - Receptionist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Receptionist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Active Network full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am not a particularly "big fish" in this pond, but I have never felt so encouraged to grow before. My boss is always encouraging me to learn and take more responsibilities. The leadership is very down to earth. Within my first week, the CEO stopped and introduced herself to me, even thought I'm not a particularly important person. Also, she has great shoes. I've really enjoyed my time here, and I'm looking forward to the future.

Cons

The health insurance is a high-deductible plan, so if you tend to have to have a lot of healthcare expenses, it's maybe not the best. But you also get an HSA. That being said, there are worse plans.

Advice to Management

Lots of exciting stuff is happening--I'm excited to see what's next! To be frank, this is the best job I've ever had.

2. "Great Place to Work and Grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Active Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

ACTIVE is made up of mostly young professionals, which has its pros and cons. Salary is competitive. Employee engagement program offers lots of activities. Bagel Fridays in the Dallas office are awesome.

Cons

Can be a high-stress job depending on what department you are in and your supervisor. Employee turnover is fairly high and acquisitions not uncommon.

"Associate"

Former Employee - Associate in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at Active Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great culture
    - Great people
    - Very cool office

Cons

- Employee turnover is high
    - Some systems are outdated
    - Low to average compensation
    - Benefits aren't great

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more to make them feel more appreciated and important. Everyone I worked with worked extremely hard and seemed passionate about their work, but were not payed accordingly. This could help employee turnover and morale.

"Sales Operations Specialist"

I worked at Active Network full-time

Pros

Great work culture.
    Incentive trips are amazing.
    Excellent compensation plan.

Cons

Although there are outlets for relaxation at work, if you're in sales, you can forget about doing it. You will look like a slacker.

5. "Great company, challenging environment!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Active Network full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Challenging work environment, don't expect to punch in the clock here. You will be pushed and asked to excel compared to previous jobs, but this will help you reach heights that previous jobs didn't.

Great work culture, work hard but play hard. You will be rewarded for the hard work you put in, it doesn't go unnoticed.

Young employees get put in the spotlight. Age doesn't matter here, ideas get rewarded regardless of where they come from. As a young employee you'll get more responsibility and opportunities here compared to other companies with older workforces.

Lots of potential for career advancement and promotions.

Office environment is very startup like and entrepreneurial, feels like working at a facebook/google.

Cons

The company is international so you may have a meeting or two in the late evening (8-9pm). The international teams are very considerate though so they don't keep you up too late.

Employee turnover is high in certain departments but it's improving a lot. Most of my coworkers plan on staying at ACTIVE for the indefinite future.

Advice to Management

Keep fostering development and growth in young employees. Continue to improve workplace culture and expectations to retain talented young employees.

"Positive reviews being encouraged by HR"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Active Network full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Few really passionate folks working towards making product / services better

Cons

Disgusting business practices, lucky they aren't publicly traded. All sorts of shady accounting practices openly encouraged by senior management for one reason: the sale!

Advice to Management

Not worth giving advice. No one listens. Seriously.

"Great company until new management took over"

Former Employee - Account Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Active Network full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing people and company when still based in San Diego

Cons

New management ruined the culture and the company

"ACTIVE is good for me, and the other amazing people who I work with."

Current Employee - Global Creative Director in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Global Creative Director in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Active Network full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been at ACTIVE for 3+ years now and I must say that I'm working with amazing people from top tier companies that are here to make this a world-class brand and organization. Some of my co-workers have left amazing brands to join us, and I always ask why...they reply with 'I believe in the vision, the opportunity to have a direct impact on the organization, and the youthful spirit of the company'. Ditto! We are a global organization and I have the pleasure of working with some excellent people from Dallas, Chicago, San Diego, Canada, and China. ACTIVE has to be one of the most diverse places I have ever worked. From executive levels of leadership, down to the ambassadors on the street, you see such a unique mix of ethnicities, backgrounds, and interests. Love it.

Cons

ACTIVE has built a positive culture of "straight-to-the-point" which is refreshing. You are held accountable for what you declare. If you present metrics, data points, or opinions, we want to know the why. If you have a recommendation, it will be scrutinized. If you are a BS artist, it won't fly for long. Some see it is a "CON" or negative, but I appreciate walking into a room full of adults each day who aren't interested with getting their way, but are looking to support the organizations growth. For me, the only true "CON" is I wish I could reward my teams more! They are brilliant, and as any leader knows, there is never enough to show how much they are truly worth.

Advice to Management

My advice to every organization is continue to share as much as possible. If you give a directive/strategy/vision, make sure that your actions align with what has been laid out. Empower people with the authority to impact change in their part of the company, not just a title, but the authority also. Create checks and balances that protect the organization of course, but give team members the ability to execute on the vision. Most people want to know where we are going, why, and participate in adding value to the end goal. I think we do a good job of acknowledging strong contributions and continue to encourage and build up those who are off the mark. My enthusiasm and excitement continue to grow, sure we all face frustrations, but I'm inspired by the people who are here to move the needle and build a great brand that inspires customers, investors, and our peers.

"BAIT AND SWITCH! Avoid like the plague! Sales Nightmare"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Dallas, TX

I worked at Active Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-The products are great, there is a culture of helping the world and getting people excited about being ACTIVE.

-good office "perk" benefits, ping pong table, slurpee machine, etc.

Cons

-every single thing related to employee happiness has been gotten rid of or lessened to make the company more profits for the Board of Directors at the expense of employees

-they will lie to you about how much money you will actually make in a Sales Position because of how the commission structure works (commission paid out over 12 months so whenever you leave, you forfeit the rest of the commission on those deals you sold)

-If you are hired as Lead Generation, you will be told you can work your way up. In truth, this never happens.

-Realistic OTE salary is about $62,000 (pre-tax) which is SUPER low for the level of skill they want

-healthcare plan is trash

-they will tell you that you are getting hired in a position at the same level as everyone else- in reality, they have put in stack rankings that screw over every one except the top 10% who get ALL the inbound leads- you will have to "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" to have a chance of being successful. ASK about this in your interview and see how they try to spin it!

the quotas are TOO HIGH. When almost no salespeople are hitting quota, it means something is wrong with the number.

-NO oppty for ANYONE to advance to leadership, no matter how long they are there. A bunch of people have applied and been turned down for leadership positions, and their positions have been filled by people who have no idea what they are doing. People have been TOLD that they will get recommended for manger roles within "6 months" only to have those promises reneged.

-employee attrition is AWFUL for sales--about 50% turnover across the sales team. New groups of employees lose 3 or 4 before they even make it to the sales floor!!

Advice to Management

Stop what you're doing and carefully research why this company was so successful pre-2014 in terms of company health and employee happiness. Halt the terrible ideas you're installing right now and go back to trying to attract the best talent and keep them happy. Everything else will come after that.

"Active Network Review"

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in San Diego, CA

I worked at Active Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great sales management and leadership

Cons

CRM was outdated and cumbersome