Altria Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Howard Willard

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Hours can be long sometimes making it tough for work/life balance" (in 50 reviews)

• "Declining industry so I cannot recommend for someone who wants a career" (in 36 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Company full of opportunity if you’re willing to work hard!"

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Altria full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunity, people, compensation, Professional Development

Cons

Challenging and fast paced environment- not a con for me but not for everyone

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on driving our culture forward focused on hiring and developing talent from all backgrounds while strengthening a high-performance culture focused on winning results.

2. "The best job ever"

Former Employee - IT Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - IT Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Altria full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

-great people and great flexibility. Supportive management.

Cons

None while I was working there.

Advice to Management

Was amazing working with everyone.

3. "Great benefits"

Former Employee - Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at Altria full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great benefits and great culture

Cons

stressful with multiple time lines

"Great people, tough road ahead"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Richmond, VA

I worked at Altria full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Altria is a financially strong company offering employees very reasonable and competitive benefits. Most of the people I have worked with are amazing - smart and thoughtful. The company invests in its people in so many ways, from continuing education to stretch experiences and through making all kinds of professional research and trade resources available to employees.

Cons

The culture is in a state of flux, with multiple direction changes and lack of a clearly articulated strategy and vision for the future. The implicit strategies don’t necessarily provide a sense of long term stability for employees. The company will spend a lot of resources pursuing goals that it may later abandon without much empathy for the employees working on them.

Advice to Management

Investing in the culture runs deeper than talk. Some great steps have been taken, but not sustained. We see you get choked up for your shareholders... that’s nice. Try to practice some empathy for your employees as well. This seems to have been lost over the years as other legitimate business concerns have consumed your attention.

5. "Great place to start your career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Altria full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits and work/life balance

Cons

Issues with development opportunities and clear understanding of what next-step options exist

"Not a Long Term Option, Look Elsewhere"

Current Employee - Key Account Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Key Account Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Altria full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Company car, starting salary out of college, 401k

Cons

Industry has a terrible outlook, Altria specifically has has had 3 BIG layoffs in 7 years so you’re never “safe”. Managers are entitled and incompetent, not their fault, they have no experience and are promoted within 6 month to a year to save money. The TSM role is just merchandising, Unit Manager is just baby sitting, and account teams have no real structure or team balance.

Advice to Management

Culture continues to drop every year for the past decade. Unit managers are incompetent, section directors are just thoughtless robots, promotions are almost exclusively now former interns within a year of graduating so no one feels they have a chance. Your best are leaving VOLUNTARILY during these layoffs. The competition is eating you alive for a reason. Do better.

"Good Company, Shrinking Market"

Current Employee - Quality in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Quality in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Altria full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Altria had great benefits and great salaries

Cons

Just downsized the company by 900 jobs. Seems like people are laid off every 2-4 years. Not great work life balance

Advice to Management

Management could be more transparents

8. "Great culture & benefits"

I have been working at Altria full-time

Pros

401K
    Flexibility
    Culture
    PTO
    Car & insurance & gas covered

Cons

Alone most of the day
    Deal with hard headed people
    Dirty retail accounts where you have to change signage

9. "Fantastic Company"

Current Employee - Quality in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Quality in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Altria full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefit package, great coworkers

Cons

No cons. I enjoy my position.

"Altria is slowly losing sight of everything that made it a great."

Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Altria full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When I started with Altria I was presented with a facade of an amazing company, but that is slowly crumbling away. The pay is decent for the work you’re expected to do. The benefits, like the annual 401k drop and company car, are nice perks. There are some amazing employees, but many of them were recently let go or left during a restructure. Altria attempts to create a positive, diverse culture, but in the recent changes that’s all disappeared in less than a month.

Cons

1. The CEO made it very clear he cares more about the investors than his employees. Funny thing is, it doesn’t seem like the investors care much for Altria or Howard at the moment. What once was a well performing stock has been crashing. The future is cloudy for Altria.
    2. Altria attempts to achieve Diversity and Inclusion. But when the going gets tough, like during the recent restructure, it’s clear that the white, conservative, straight man still has ALL the power. Inclusion requires action and there aren’t many examples of true inclusion.
    3. There has always been no clear career path for a TSM and very limited upward movement. With the recent changes, there is even less opportunity for career growth.
    4. Experienced hires are overlooked many employees are being underutilized.
    5. New structure seems to be an opportunity to micromanage and track employees. The freedom to create success within your territory has been removed.
    6. The sales roles are becoming over paid merchandizing roles.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach. The lack of communication And transparency during the restructure is frustrating. The timing for “transformation” is unfortunate. Create a real inclusive environment. When the CEO shows emotion when talking about investors but zero emotion when talking about his employees (who are also investors) losing jobs, there is clearly an issue. There I needs to be more diversity of thought and compassion in leadership. Create opportunity of true growth within the field or else be honest about it during the interview process. Treat experienced hires and campus recruits equally. Offer an opportunity to apply for promotions. CREATE TRANSPARENCY.