KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

4.2
American Express CEO Stephen J Squeri
Stephen J Squeri
2,310 Ratings
Pros
  • "Flexible work environment; passionate(in 433 reviews)

• "Awesome job great benefits great co workers(in 383 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Work life balance is much worse than it used to be(in 302 reviews)

• "Less visibility across decision making(in 172 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of American Express and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years
      Featured Review

Great place for information security professionals

Feb 25, 2021 - Information Security Manager in Phoenix, AZ
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great work environment with supporting leaders and colleagues. Pay is above par compared to financial industry

Cons

It takes a long time to absorb and get an understanding of the entire landscape of the company with it being so large

3 people found this review helpful
    2. 5.0
      Current Employee

it sucks

Aug 2, 2021 - Analyst in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

the building has great views

Cons

do you like being a clog in the system? if so, come to amex.

3. 5.0

Software Engineer

Nov 26, 2018 - Software Engineer in Phoenix, AZ
      Business Outlook

Pros

They have fantastic pay for the position you're in, and they teach you interesting and engaging utility of modern technology mixed with legacy fundamentals. I've learned quite a bit while AmEx while getting paid more than fairly - I'd recommend a stretch here to whomever may be reading this!

Cons

The Company is huge, and at times it may take more than a little time to get recognized for your abilities and the growth you've had. There's a reason there is a "only way up is out" reputation exists for some enterprise companies...

187 people found this review helpful
    4. 5.0

American Express really cares

Aug 2, 2021 - Software Engineer II in Sunrise, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

American Express really cares about people, both employees and clients. Amex about doing the right thing. It is a serious company that walks slowly because it walks firmly. People are good and it really is a great place to work.

Cons

It is a bank. No matter how cool the new tech behind the screen looks, banks move very slow for safety concerns. Although those concerns are very well founded, the paranoia makes for work to be extremely focused on security and development is hard since there are so many security features. Also the work can sometimes become somewhat boring for creative minds and vertical mobility is very slow. However, depending on our career priorities in a specific moment of your life, I really do believe that the Pros far outpace the Cons.

5. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

"Awesome" place to build your career with a toxic team culture

Jul 12, 2021 - Engineering Director in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing brand, well-packaged benefits, great opportunities for new employees. Extremely competitive environment. It's an excellent place to grow your career from start if you're competitive and ambitious, but not empathetic.

Cons

It's nearly impossible to succeed in the engineering director role if you're hired from an outside firm. Amex has a cut-throat competitive culture, constant chase for numbers, lack of attention to individual colleague's needs. Many Directors are required to lead often times upwards of 30 people without the ability to re-structure the reporting relationship. Consultants are mainly treated as numbers, however full-time colleagues enjoy significant benefits, such as 6-month child-care leave, while the rest of the team is expected to pull the burden of delivery. The leadership expects innovation and delivery of exceeding outcomes at every step of the way, beating your past numbers is not rewarded, it's expected - personal sacrifices that mid-level leaders make to keep the team spirit up and deliver on these needs often do not matter. Every month engineering has some kind of a competition and there are numerous favorites on multiple teams that persistently winning the game, while no one cares about specific people. It's all about the numbers. Budget decisions drive every major decision. Very few team members have significant tenures unless they're in a competitive senior leadership roles.

1 person found this review helpful
    6. 5.0

Amazing place to work

Aug 2, 2021 - Senior Manager in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great leadership, opportunities for growth, they care about the colleague experience. I can’t say enough about how incredible this company is.

Cons

Salary can sometimes be lower than industry average, but still competitive. Otherwise, no cons this is a great place for someone looking for work life balance and a company that genuinely cares about their colleagues and impact.

7. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Not what it is hyped up to be

Jun 29, 2021 - Dispute Specialist in Fort Lauderdale, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

We got to work from home for over a year due to the pandemic. Remote work stations were mailed to us. The vacation time was great.

Cons

When I quit, my bonus from previous year was taken back from my 401k. The management are forced to be micro-managers. My department handled disputes and fraud, but we were constantly given calls from other departments and held to higher call handling standards. It was impossible to stay in great standing. CFR is pushed down everyone's throat, but for a Platinum card that has a fee, it's a shame that workers are negatively impacted when a customer has to call back whether it is related to the prior call or NOT. The breaks are too short. When I quit, I didn't get an exit interview. I was a number and it showed. So many loyal great employees quit because of stress by the company-not the customer/job description. In my position of almost 3 years, there hasn't been NOT one shift bid. I had a terrible schedule from training and I hadn't had the opportunity to change it. I worked double weekends for close to 3 years with young children at home. The benefits were too expensive.

2 people found this review helpful
    8. 5.0
      Current Employee

Aug 1, 2021 - American Express Business Analyst in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great company, really nice people and talkative. Great managers and higher ups will help you a lot. Great place to work at

Cons

Lower than market money and bonus. Expect higher at different places. You don't utilize your finance skills as extensively at other firms.

9. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Fantastic company

Aug 1, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent career growth and leadership training Always looking for innovative solutions to challenges Great place to develop into a true leader

Cons

As with any really large enterprise organization, there can be a lot of bureaucracy and it can be difficult to operate with speed

10. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great company

Jul 30, 2021 - Senior User Experience/UI Designer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Awesome growth, smart people, a lot of resources and amazing benefits. Great care of employees and a few egos here and there but overall very focused on growth culture

Cons

Slow processes, legacy systems and technology teams, projects slow to launch and not always great for design portfolio pieces visually but very rich for process storytelling

Viewing 1 - 10 of 9,761 Reviews