American Express Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 20, 2018
1,510 Interview Reviews

1. Featured Interview

Senior Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at American Express in January 2017.

Interview

There was an initial phone interview, followed by an in person by the hiring manager. Then a 2nd interview with the hiring manager & the final interview with the Director. The entire process took about six weeks.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about American Express & why do you want to work here?   5 Answers

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Express.

Interview

Submitted an application online. A few days later received an invitation to complete an assessment online. The assessment is composed of personality questions, basic percent problems and mock customer calls. Waiting to hear more.

Travel Counselor Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American Express.

Interview

Phone interview with recruiter and an in person interview. It wasn't the interview that was an issue. It was how she lied about the salary. The other issue was the background check. I provided tons of information and they shipped it to some company in Mexico for confirmation.

Manager Interview

Interview

Thirty minute HR screening, then had a phone interview with hiring manager, then an in-person interview with hiring manager, followed by an in-person interview with 2 other leaders on the broader team.

Intern Interview

Interview

The application for this job required a resume and cover letter. The next step was a first round interview. The last step was a second round interview. Interviews were case-style.

Virtual Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at American Express (New York, NY).

Interview

I applied in November and heard back in January. The process: did my assessment in November. Then a few weeks ago I got a call to set up my first interview via phone. That was the beginning of the 4 total interviews done. Once I did the final interview I got a call about 3 business days later offering the job.

Interview Questions

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at American Express.

Interview

I went through a total of four interviews , after taking a competency test to prove my skills. The test came fairly quickly in my email. I received it the day after I had applied. Then, the day after I took the test, I recieved an email stating that I had "got the interview", meaning a recorded HireVue interview. It asks you questions and you have to record yourself answering them. The video then gets submitted.

I waited a good two months with no response. I'm thinking this was because I applied in November, which I around the holiday season. Then, I received a phone call from a recruiter in January who asked me a series of questions and confirmed my work experience. Then she moved me to a live group video interview.

I was in an interview with about 15 other people, and there were two "rounds" of questioning. After that we were informed that if we made it past this round, we would have a final live video interview with two members of their management team.

I waited two days to hear that I received the final interview opportunity, which was exactly as described. After that, the decision that I was hired came in exactly 7 business days. I was freaking out.

It's a long process but I understand why they do it. This is a 100% home based position, and I have worked for another work from home company that wasn't as choosy about their employees and a lot of problems ensued from it.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you went above and beyond for a customers satisfaction.   Answer Question
    • Describe your work experience.   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time where you had to rely on your own devices to handle a customers issue.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Interview

I received missed calls and voicemails from the HR about an analyst position that I applied for. I called back in a day but the HR seemed to be confused as to why I called and told me that they are already interviewing someone. I'm not sure whether they called me just to let me know that I might be a backup? All seem a bit disorganized.

Executive Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Express (New York, NY).

Interview

I talent acquisition person called me with a screening. That was then followed by six video interviews. The last communication they asked me for my references which were never checked. I was told I would hear back and no one ever reached out to me. After a few weeks I followed up to see if the position was still open or even if I was still being considered and I was told they went with someone else. Th
    Should have at least reached out or told me something so then I wouldn’t be wondering what happen. The communication I wish was much better.

Interview Questions

• Why do you feel you would be a great fit for this role?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in January 2018.

Interview

Video interview where I was asked basic java, sql, javascript, react and angular questions. Interviewer was nice and allowed me to skip css and html questions as I am not super comfortable using them.

Recruiter Role Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at American Express.

Interview

Long interview process. Had three phone screens and two onsite interviews. Two remote employees and two onsite interviews ending with at phone interview with director in New York. Took the process over one to one and a half months. Positive experience but long process.