BMC Software Reviews | Glassdoor

Peter Leav

1,163 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance can go for a toss, it depends on the function you are involved though" (in 44 reviews)

• "Middle management not streamlined enough" (in 18 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best Employer I have ever had!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at BMC Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

BMC is a great company to work for. I love the flexibilty in my schedule and being able to work from home when needed. But in general I enjoy the office in Houston and the people, so I tend to work from there 3 days a week atleast. Its a beautiful facility. Bright, modern and full of amenities. Plus we have some gret activites on site for BMC Cares that help make the culture great while giving back to our community. Because we are a global company, I love being able to talk and work with folks from around the world, but also this helps me to flex my schedule when needed.

Cons

None! Fun place to work!

Jul 31, 2018 – Employee Experience Coordinator

WOW! What a great review of BMC! We are so proud to hear that you are enjoying your #BMCLife! Thank you for these wonderful words and for taking the time to share your thoughts today.

2. "Good Momentum building on Strong Heritage"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at BMC Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great term customer relationships and recebt investment in R&D set BMC up for a great future.

Cons

We sometimes have to overcome past impressions of BMC as a "mainframe only" company, but that's easy to do once we share our Multicloud Management perspective.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in our technology and our people. BMC is at the forefront of multicloud management.

Jul 31, 2018 – Employee Experience Coordinator

Your 5-Star review of BMC today is greatly appreciated. We are so pleased to hear that you are enjoying your time and experience at BMC. Thanks again for your kind words. We also greatly... More

"BMC declining"

Former Employee - Grunt Worker
    Former Employee - Grunt Worker

I worked at BMC Software full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you are located in California compensation is relatively good because of the competition to find talented people.

If your home country is India, Mexico, China or Ukraine then there is lots of growth opportunity available for you. BMC loves to invest in these countries because they pay lower wages - the flip side is constant turnover as individuals leave for better paying jobs.

Numerous people work from home. Termination package is very generous.

Cons

It used to be an annual March/April reorg (hint hint firing), now it is also happening October/November. Several years back BMC was bought out to rebuild itself out of the public eye, investors are now keen on getting their ROI hence the twice annual reorgs.

Sales and SEs are flying out the door for better opportunities. Competitors are chomping at BMC customer base.

Products are buggy with only recent intention (CEO mandate) to fix them, not uncommon to have defects opened for years.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, because it has to be a winning strategy.

4. "Operations"

I have been working at BMC Software full-time

Pros

Great company. Fast paced.

Cons

Working through acquisition can always be challenging.

"Former marketing employee"

I worked at BMC Software full-time

Pros

Competitive salary, flexibility to work remote, and benefits.

Cons

Due to the hierarchical structure, the decision making process in general was painfully slow therefore did not feel empowered as an employee. Lots of operational inefficiencies between the cross functional teams. Promotions to manager position without leadership training results in bad people managers. Career growth opportunities are limited. Frequent layoffs and budget cuts go hand in hand adding to the operational inefficiencies across the board.

Advice to Management

Help your people, not your investors.

Jul 31, 2018 – Employee Experience Coordinator

We wanted to thank you for taking the time to complete a review today and are disappointed to hear that we did not meet all your needs as a employer. However, we do thank you for your comments and... More

"Sr. Digital Services Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Digital Service Specialist in Wesley Chapel, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Digital Service Specialist in Wesley Chapel, FL

I have been working at BMC Software full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Mostly work from Home, not a lot of micro management.

Cons

Poor pay, no raises, wish they rewarded loyalty.

Advice to Management

Reward employee loyalty, give pay increases.

Jul 31, 2018 – Employee Experience Coordinator

We appreciate you taking the time to complete a review today. Thank you for your comments and feedback today.

"HR is an absolute Joke and IT is run based on the whims of unqualified managers"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at BMC Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good work life balance
    Staff camaraderie is quite pleasant

Cons

Never ever bring up issues to HR, they are there to screw you and will actually set you on the path to layoff or termination.

They will defend bad behavior in managers to protect the company and could not care less how it affected you. Yes, you get some disingenuous statements but they do not mean what they tell you.

The company just felt lost and the staff, in general, just appeared defeated.

The company feels like they spend more time engineering their finances and not their products.

Their benefit costs are very high and the overall benefits have been getting stingier over the last five years.

8. "Senior Product Developer"

I worked at BMC Software full-time

Pros

Flexibility, innovation, good location at Sunnyvale CA. Friendly working environment.

Cons

Cubic space was small.

Jul 13, 2018 – Employee Experience Coordinator

Thank you for completing a review today and we are so pleased to see that enjoyed your time at BMC. Your comments regarding our culture, innovation and environment are appreciated. Thank you again... More

"former employee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at BMC Software full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, flexible work schedule for some departments

Cons

no clear picture on how to move up, when you ask HR for the next level job requirements they can't provide it. If you look at other job openings you have no way of knowing if the job is a move up or the same pay level and again when you try to find out HR is no assistance.

Advice to Management

Management needs to realize that all departments work together, it only benefits the company when you have a thorough understanding of how other departments interlink to the next. If you want your employees to better themselves then it should be clearly visible what is expected for the next level, or other openings.

Jul 31, 2018 – Employee Experience Coordinator

First, we wanted to thank you for completing a review today. While we are pleased to see that you would recommend BMC as a employer, we did want to acknowledge your concerns regarding career... More

10. "Customer Success Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I have been working at BMC Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Company to work for

Cons

2018 focus was supposed to be on how to make it easier to work with BMC however things have not changed according to Surveys and customer feedback

Advice to Management

VP and above need to listen to the folks at the bottom of the food chain a little more for feedback

Jul 13, 2018 – Employee Experience Coordinator

Thank you for comments and for taking the time to complete a review today. Your recommendations and feedback will be shared so that we can continue to meet the needs of all of our employees and... More

Showing 1,163 of 1,211 reviews