BMC Software Reviews

3.9
BMC Software President and CEO Ayman Sayed
Ayman Sayed
  1. Featured Review

"Excellent corporate culture and team environment"

5.0
    Current Employee - Recruiting Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at BMC Software full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

BMC has a culture of solid teamwork and caring for employees, in addition to the intellectual challenge offered by the start up atmosphere. The company is well established, but offers employees an opportunity to dig deeply into their roles and learn as much as possible by doing more than just what is in the job description. In the corporate groups, everyone has an opportunity to make an impact and feel appreciated for their work. Additional project work is always available for people who volunteer to learn new skills. The result is a group of employees with much longer than average tenure in their jobs.

Cons

The positive enviornment means that there is not much turnover in some areas of the business, so advancement opportunities can require creativity or moving to a new team.

BMC Software2019-07-31

September 2, 2019Company Representative

Thank you for your 8+ years with the organization. We value the feedback you have shared and appreciate you taking the time to leave a review. We echo your positive comments about the people at BMC. At BMC, we do recognize our teams for their dedication and hard work and that is why we feel we are very lucky to have such amazing employees. We want to see our employees grow professionally and personally at BMC, and we encourage and empower them to find a career path within the organization that is best suited for them.

2. "Respect, Fun, and Excellence"

5.0
    Current Employee - Sales in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at BMC Software full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

BMC is like my second family. Hard work and dedication are rewarded. When personal crises arise (and they do), BMC colleagues will circle the wagons to ensure that you can take care of what's going on at home, while they take care of what's going on at work. The recent innovations on the product side are incredible. The types of things that we're doing will change the game in the industry. And, most importantly, BMC is an ethical company, grounded in its Texas roots. We treat our customers, employees, and partners with the utmost respect. You don't find that in a lot of software companies these days.

Cons

I don't have anything to put here. It's a great company.

BMC Software2020-01-11

April 29, 2020Company Representative

WOW! Thank you for the great review. We also want to say thank you for 10+ years with BMC! We are very proud to have some of the most dedicated and caring individuals at BMC, so we share your sentiments about their hard work and compassion. We will be sure to share your review with the team!

3. "So far so good"

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager

I have been working at BMC Software full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great people and culture. Sales leadership genuinely cares about their people, and has a lot to offer in terms of developing sales reps.

Cons

Average compensation, not much product innovation for a couple of years under prior VE owners. That seems to be changing now.

BMC Software2020-05-21
  4. "Overall, a good place to work."

Former Employee - Associate People Analytics Human Resources Specialist

I worked at BMC Software full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice People, Flexible, Great Benefits, Modern Office Spaces

Cons

Lack of Job Mobility, Lack of Diversity, Poor Communication

BMC Software2020-05-20
  5. "Great as long as you are “in”"

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Denver, CO

I worked at BMC Software full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Loyal, great incentives, transparent, supportive of growth & development, autonomous, great leaders

Cons

Culture varies by team, lots of cliques, sometimes feels like a popularity contest, lacks diversity

BMC Software2020-04-24

May 8, 2020Recruitics Agency

Thank you so much for your review, and thank you for your 5 + years with BMC! We also agree that loyalty and transparency are extremely important in a healthy work environment. We appreciate your comments on our varying work culture, and we will make sure we share your feedback with the appropriate teams.

6. "Great For Employee's, But Management Seems To Be Clueless"

Current Employee - Technology Support Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at BMC Software full-time for more than a year

Pros

First off, BMC has treated me very well. I'm considering settling down and making BMC my last stop on the Career path. They do things for you that just seems foreign to me from other companies. For example, I've been given a bonus not once, not twice, but three times outside of the normal bonus schedule! And was still given my normal bonus. They dont make me work overtime, or be on call more than anyone else. Also, they allow a lot of people to just clock in, get a paycheck, and go home (This is not a poor thing, see below). Which is super nice. And they make sure everyone is pulling their own weight, there is a little bit of a sink or swim component to this, and they do a great job and rewarding those who do well, punishing those who underperform, and allowing those who come to work and do their job to just exist. In short, if you work hard, make yourself valuable, and do all the normal things - you can excel here. This is a company with a lot of adults, childish behaviors are generally not accepted, while having fun assuming you enjoy working.

Cons

I'm not sure the company has a great vision for the future. The past 3-5 years have seen 3 different CEO's with 4 total changes, all with vastly different POV on how to run a business, one had us go public, the other had us go back private, another had us "sold" to a investment firm... So that is a little concerning. Although, each project is fairly self-contained. They're allowed to continue to work on whatever it is they want to work on and shape their project however the market determines, so that kinda makes up for this. But it would be nice to have one focus so you know what you're shooting for. Lastly, while they do a great job at rewarding/punishing I do wished they had more clear and defined roles and goals. It is a little bit of the wild wild west, where you do what you can and hope for the best. Instead of defining "Hey, you're going to be in this role, and this role has these things that it does." It makes it difficult to know if you're really doing a good job. I have no cons on how they treat you though. They've always been good to me, and I haven't seen anyone that has been miss-treated.

BMC Software2020-04-19

May 8, 2020Recruitics Agency

First, we'd like to sincerely thank you for your thorough and helpful review. We're so happy to hear that you are considering making BMC your last stop on your Career path, awesome news! We know that we're special here at BMC, which is why we love to award our employees with work bonuses, and we will continue to ensure that every team member is supporting each other and working hard. Moving forward, we hope to work on our company's overall focus, as well as working on defining each employee role and individual work goals. Also, thank you for your detailed insight on our senior leadership! We will bring this feedback to our appropriate teams. Thanks again!

7. "Got nice talented engineers"

Current Employee - Lead Developer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at BMC Software full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Place has some nice talented individuals and good working atmosphere

Cons

Wish we get better sales

BMC Software2020-04-14

May 8, 2020Recruitics Agency

Wow! Thank you for your review and your 8 + years working at BMC! We love that you enjoy working with your team of talented employees in a good working environment. We appreciate your comments on our sales, and we hope to continue growing our sales offering moving forward.

"Bdr role is not sales nor should sales people start in it period"

2.0
    Former Employee - BDR in Cary, NC

I worked at BMC Software full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lots of food, commission structure is fairly decent to above average. They will tell you it’s unlimited every chance they get. Which seems true. Good place for young professional to gain experience. Also generous benefits like sick time.

Cons

Ummm, lack of leadership, some sales members can be lazy or blame the people in the trenches making opportunities, when in reality it is up to them to close and also do their own outbound efforts. Environment is going towards a call center. Bdr managers just coast it seems or to be fair just don’t lead ( have a lot of tasks and things to manage)- maybe too much. Your future for promotion is a role of the dice mixed with random things. One day maybe it’s because you are a relative, one day you might be viewed as well organized, next day maybe it’s because you were passed some extra deals and look better than you are , sometimes the right people get promoted. Dysfunctional at times and potential hr nightmare on conversations that can take place. All about who you know at this place 80 percent of the time. You can’t be yourself either.

BMC Software2020-04-22

"Culture is not an important thing for the whole company"

Former Employee - Sales

I worked at BMC Software full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits aligned to the industry

Cons

Culture is poor and bad managers can turn your life into hell

BMC Software2020-04-04
  10. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Staff Specialist in Houston, TX

I have been working at BMC Software full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great company to work for. Work-from-home and work-life balance management are really valued and flexible here.

Cons

Not much room for promotions or raises. Raises come every 4 to 5 years. The fastest way to get ahead is to apply to another company and come back to BMC. I believe some women are underpaid here as well.

BMC Software2020-02-12

April 29, 2020Company Representative

First, we want to acknowledge your 10+ years with BMC! Thank you for your strong work ethic. We appreciate you sharing your experience as a Staff Specialist and are glad to see you list many pros, including work-life fit.

Found 1346 reviews