Brainfuse Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 3, 2019

3.1
Francesco Lecciso

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "It is nice to work from home and choose your hours" (in 36 reviews)

• "Helping students improve their writing abilities" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Low pay and support for the position" (in 22 reviews)

• "Not getting paid fairly (if you work more than the amount of time allotted, you will be working without getting paid)" (in 5 reviews)

1. "Very Rewarding"

Current Employee - Online Tutor Support in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Online Tutor Support in New York, NY

I have been working at Brainfuse part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It is a joy to work with students to help them achieve their personal and professional goals. Students are sincerely grateful for the help they receive and clearly grow from their experience with tutors. This job is great for people who want to make a difference.

Cons

The work is affected by seasonal turns of the academic year. At some points of the school year or semester, client traffic can be very high, but at other points (summer or vacations) it can drop significantly.

2. "Tutor"

I have been working at Brainfuse part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible
    Good for earning extra income
    Work from home

Cons

Hard to get a schedule set up
    Sometimes they wont even schedule you and will tell you to tutor via instant staffing

"Writing Tutor - Not Worth the Time"

Current Employee - Online Writing Tutor
    Current Employee - Online Writing Tutor

I have been working at Brainfuse full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a good way to make a little side money, if you're only looking for something to supplement work you already have. Management seem nice, but they do not get in touch with you often. Great for people who like to work independently and want flexibility in their hours/approach to tutoring.

Cons

As a writing tutor, the turnover times are ridiculous, especially if you are not qualified for reviewing priority papers. Reading, giving in-text edits, and writing a comprehensive review of a 6-page paper in 15 minutes is ridiculous. Any extra time you take essentially goes unpaid for, since you have to log in the time you took in accordance with their allotments.

They only send critical feedback from students, and there's no accurate way to assess whether or not students are being genuine in their feedback or not.

You have to compete for papers, which is probably the most frustrating part, because that means you have to be logged on to their system 24/7.

4. "A Wonderful Online Classroom for Tutors"

I have been working at Brainfuse part-time

Pros

The pros are that you can work as much as you want helping students with their writing. The live tutoring platform is great too. If you are a self-starter who enjoys working independently with students, you can help students and enjoy autonomy in this position.

Cons

For tutors who need a lot of hand holding, you may not like the independence and autonomy in this tutoring job. This is not a con for me because I like the autonomy, but some require more guidance.

Advice to Management

Offer more full-time positions.

5. "Brainfuse Remote Writing Coach"

Current Employee - Writing Coach in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Writing Coach in Houston, TX

I have been working at Brainfuse part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

WOrk remotely, use your skills to help educate others

Cons

low pay, they rush you to complete papers on time.

6. "Command That Brainfuse Change The System Platform"

Current Employee - Writing Consultant
    Current Employee - Writing Consultant

I have been working at Brainfuse part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

work remotely
    sometimes choose your hours

Cons

Email communication and response time is slow
    Only send bad reviews not good ones
    Students are mislead they will get private tutoring
    Students are mislead that tutors do the work
    The brainfuse platform is way,way,way outdated compared to Cheggs
    Too many students needing help and attention at the same time: insane

Advice to Management

If you don't change the tutoring platform, you will not have a business platform. Cheggs have better updated and online tools to help both student and tutor, which is one-on-one. Your client's students need private tutoring. Also, your low paying fees are too general. You will pay for your low hourly wages, dearly.

"writing tutor"

Former Employee - Writing Tutor
    Former Employee - Writing Tutor

I worked at Brainfuse part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hours were flexible, and I could usually find work when I needed it.

Cons

Some of the papers were really rough. I mean REALLY really rough, to the point that it was really tough to finish enough of them quickly enough to make a decent amount of money doing it. You're supposed to have a rather quick turn around on edits and comments, but a lot of the papers required so much revision that it took FOREVER to write comprehensive comments.

Advice to Management

Increase amount of time allowed to do a thorough job of editing and commenting on papers

"Work from Home and Flexible Hours and a Good Deal of Autonomy"

Current Employee - Online Tutor in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Online Tutor in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Brainfuse (More than 8 years)

Pros

I enjoy working from home, and it's nice to be able to use my brain to help students who are struggling and appreciate the help. My Nursing and ESL students are some of the hardest working individuals I've ever had the pleasure of helping.

Cons

Communication could be better, especially when it comes to client complaints.

Advice to Management

1. It would be nice to be able to respond management when we get negative or positive feedback from students. There have been many times I've gotten an email about negative customer feedback, and haven't been allowed the opportunity to explain the situation from my perspective.
    2. A system really needs to be put in place for unruly students. We used to be able to dismiss students from the room if they were being inappropriate, now we don't even have that. I would propose a Terms of Agreement that students have to sign/agree to before using Brainfuse that lets them know they will allowed X number of inappropriate behavior reports from tutors, then will be banned from using Brainfuse for Y amount of time. It would allow the tutors to be more efficient, helping students who really want help, instead of wasting time on students who want to draw penises on the whiteboard or repeatedly ask what color my panties are, and so on.

9. "Wonderful Company To Work For!"

Current Employee - Navigator in Coronado, CA
    Current Employee - Navigator in Coronado, CA

I have been working at Brainfuse part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Staff, Management, Software Platform, Communication

Cons

No cons to speak of

Advice to Management

None

"No training!"

Former Employee - Writing Center Tutor in Kennesaw, GA
    Former Employee - Writing Center Tutor in Kennesaw, GA

I worked at Brainfuse part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is nice to work from home and choose your hours.

Cons

You are hired and the extent of training is a few handouts to read. You pretty much have to figure it out on your own.

Advice to Management

Offer training to new employees rather than just sending notifications of doing something wrong. How is someone to know the rules without being told first? It is not productive to inform employees after the fact that "this is the correct way to do this, not this..."