Brainfuse Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Francesco Lecciso

Pros
Cons
  • The students are rude, impatient, and lazy (in 3 reviews)

• No feedback from management, no guidance, low pay, high aggravation (in 4 reviews)

"Great Part Time Job While Finishing Graduate Degree"

I have been working at Brainfuse (More than a year)

Pros

The flexibility that comes with online tutoring at this is second to none. Very easy to pursue a more advanced career or degree while working here. You can schedule your own hours and get a paid session whenever you log on. No commuting to a corporate office is another benefit. You can virtually work anywhere an internet connection is available.

Cons

Finding a session during summer months can be difficult at times.

2. "Good for what it is"

Current Employee - Live Tutor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Live Tutor in New York, NY

I have been working at Brainfuse (More than a year)

Pros

+ make your own schedule
    + flexible
    + low stress during low periods

Cons

+ software isn't the best. What you see can be completely different from what the student sees.
    + it can be challenging to end a shift
    + high stress during peak times, working with up to 6 students at once
    + inconsistent schedule; shifts can be cancelled last minute due to holidays/summer/unknown reasons

Advice to Management

I've noticed small improvements from when I started in 2014 and I like the changes. Keep on listening to our feedback.

"Flexible Opportunities, Counterintuitive Pay Structure"

Current Employee - Writing Tutor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Writing Tutor in New York, NY

Pros

1) Ultimate in flexible work scheduling - you choose when to sign into their portal to review submissions, and you complete as many or as few as your choose (depending upon the number of available tasks).

Cons

1) Their pay scale is based upon a limitation of reviewing/editing a set number of pages within a specific time frame. This assumes that all submitted materials were written at the same quality level. It would be great if that were the case; it's not. I've easily spent more than twice the allotted time on an essay simply because it required a more extensive editing process. In those instances, I effectively cheated myself out of what I actually earned, but there was no other recourse (as I refuse to submit subpar revisions to students who had no say in my pay scale).

2) Inconsistent availability of tasks. Anyone needing this position for a reliable and consistent source of income will be disappointed, as the number of available tasks deviates on a daily basis.

Advice to Management

Revise your pay scale so that it accurately accounts for not only the quantity of pages within a submission, but the quality of the pages submitted. It's very easy to summarily review incoming documents to determine how much work they'll require to be considered successfully revised at a baseline level. Perhaps create separate task inboxes for tasks based upon their level of revision difficulty, and categorize tasks accordingly. This way, tutors can select the types of tasks they'd like to revise - and know beforehand that they will be paid fairly for their hard work.

"Tutor"

Pros

You can work from home. The schedule is flexible. They also pay on time.

Cons

The students are rude, impatient, and lazy. The students expect the tutors to do the homework for them. They don't want help, they want someone that will give them the answers. Management does nothing about this.

"I love my job"

Pros

You can take tests in different subjects and, if you pass them and the interview, you have many topics to tutor. If you log on to instant access and instant staffing, you will always have a tutoring opportunities. I can work as much or as little as I want.

Cons

Sometimes you may have multiple students who want to be tutored at the same time. You have to tell some of them to log out and log back in for them to get a new tutor.

Advice to Management

It would be nice if there was a button on the main screen where we can automatically send them to another tutor, rather than having to tell the student to leave and come back in.

"WORST JOB EVER"

Current Employee - Online Tutor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Online Tutor in New York, NY

Pros

Work at Home. I have nothing else to say.

Cons

Fired whenever, no job security, management rude, clients, Tutors not valued, low pay, hard work, complaints

Advice to Management

STOP FIRING PEOPLE FOR REVIEW FROM CLIENTS, investigate if needed. Give proper training beforehand

"Poor Business Model"

Pros

Ability to work from home.

Cons

For tutors who are part of the writing lab, there is fierce competition for work and no guarantee that you'll be able to snag enough assignments. While they claim to pay $12 an hour, tutors are only paid for the maximum amount of time allowed per paper (dependent on length). In order to complete the assignment as required by Brainfuse, tutor either has to spend more time than paid for per paper or risk receiving negative comments from clients. 3 negative comments and tutor is no longer able to work. Yet, no guidance to offered to tutors to learn how to improve or avoid mistakes in the future. I often felt that the constraints/demands of the company were more of a disservice to the clients. Were the students really getting the best advice?

Advice to Management

Please provide constructive feedback and support for tutors. I can only imagine how your budget is impacted by high-turnover rates.

"Interesting program"

Pros

Pay check is adequate, but not enough to use as a steady source of income.

Cons

As other posters have mentioned, there is a general lack of willingness to help you improve.

"Go with one of the better online tutoring companies"

Pros

Ability to make your own schedule.

Cons

Students are rude and not held accountable for their actions. Brainfuse expects you to tutor several students at one time. You could be helping one with math and then another will need help with a paper and then another with chemistry.

Advice to Management

Treat the tutors better. Your high turn over rate explains it all.

"Brainfuse is the new black"

Current Employee - Statistics Tutor in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Statistics Tutor in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Brainfuse full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Incredible company! Know their stuff and clearly want to make sure their tutors and students leave the session happy.

Cons

Not many really. During slow times it's hard to get students but I knew that going in.