CorVel Reviews | Glassdoor

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CorVel Chairman and CEO Gordon Clemons
Gordon Clemons

Pros
  • You can work from home; flexible(ish) hours of as long as you start between 7 and 9 and work 8 hours (in 9 reviews)

• Very supportive work environment (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of health insurance - not worth going through the company (in 17 reviews)

• No room for growth unless you are friends with top management (in 10 reviews)

"Medical-Only Claims Specialist"

Current Employee - Medical-Only Claims Specialist in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Medical-Only Claims Specialist in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at CorVel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The the managers are supportive

Cons

The training is not very structured

Advice to Management

More structured training

"Management"

Former Employee - Not Applicable in Southeast Owasco, NY
    Former Employee - Not Applicable in Southeast Owasco, NY

I worked at CorVel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ice machine - decor was okay. Building was nice - had lots of candy and food but truly not much more to say

Cons

Management does not know how to hire or train or run a claims office. They do not know standards in the industry - basics to running a claims department. To quick to hire temps or anyone without really exploring other ideas therefore lots of turnover. Benefits are horrible. Too much gossip and not enough based on facts or even the law. Non ethical No training manuals or standards have been set up.

Advice to Management

Learn to hire people with more knowledge than yourself or you will continue to fail. Create training programs. Appreciate those that recognize the downfalls and try to help

"Biasism at it's finest"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dublin, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dublin, OH

I worked at CorVel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The hours of operation, holidays off. Would say company picnic is a plus, but it's not. Employees are expected, if attending, to cook the food, bring dishes and work the amenities (i.e. cotton candy machine, snowcone machines, etc)

Cons

The training was unstructured, was on the floor dealing with calls with an employee before even having knowledge of systems. Witnessed new employees being moved to newly created positions (with more pay) before position was ever announced to tenured employees. No on site HR; had no one to air grievances to that wasn't directly "above" me. Multiple employees cited concern about saying anything for fear of being retaliated against. A few even advised that "they", the management, have not even written people up (no first, second warning) but will suddenly present a final written that threatens with termination. The corporation requires employees to sign off on a handbook that the pharmacy division deviates from.

Advice to Management

Get an on site HR department or HR specialist onsite immediately. Your corporation, specifically the pharmacy division; is lacking in professionalism, continuity and equality on a gender/race/performance level.

"Patient care coordinator"

Current Employee - Patient Care Coordinator in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Patient Care Coordinator in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at CorVel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They offer remote employment and flexible work schedule. We are allowed to work any 8 hour shift between 7a-7p and they also offer extended lunch periods. They have started having monthly team meetings which allows us to function better as a department.

Cons

They have been understaffed for over 3 years without much improvement. Morale is low and turnover rate is high. Health insurance is very expensive and other benefits like paid vacation are also not very good. Pay is OK.

Advice to Management

Work harder to hire and train more people. Listen to your team. Yearly raises should be higher for the amount of work we've all had for the past 3+ years.

"Administrative Assistant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Downers Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at CorVel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Make friends and get promotion.

Cons

Stressful environment, useless management, unprofessional bosses.
    If you make upper management your friends then you don't have to worry at all, just come to work spend hours in talking with upper management and collect your paycheck. Also you will get promoted soon :) whatelse you need ??

Advice to Management

Don't treat staff differently, people can't sit 8 hours straight and stare their computer, we have to stretch our body time to time, need to walk and do small talk, don't go to our supervisor and ask all the time that your team don't have anything to do, I saw her standing and talking to this person, is she on a break or what? I think he knows I am talking about HIM.

"Nope."

Former Employee - Bill Review Analyst in Lake Mary, FL
    Former Employee - Bill Review Analyst in Lake Mary, FL

I worked at CorVel full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I cannot think of one.

Cons

This is the worst company I have ever encountered.

Advice to Management

Delete yourselves.

"Mixed Bag"

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in New York, NY

I worked at CorVel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Steady work, nice people, middling benefits. Some of the managers really care about their people.

Cons

Top management is stagnant. People at the top leave, and instead of replacing them, other top managers are given their responsibilities, plus what they already have. Salaries are a little below average.

"Toxic, Micro-Managed Work Environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I worked at CorVel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Casual dress (including jeans) permitted on Fridays.

Break room is nice.

Cons

Some CorVel managers use staffing agencies to find workers and then abuse the “temp-to-hire” system by doing everything possible (including lying during the interview process) to keep the worker on a temporary basis instead of actually hiring them (thereby denying the worker any benefits). If you are coming from a staffing agency, do not expect to be hired permanently, no matter what you are told.

“Temp-to-hire” workers are not considered part of the team, and are deliberately excluded from departmental activities like Christmas dinners and holiday activities.

Managers are threatened by any signs of intelligence, quick learning or independent thinking from their employees. Proactive attempts to work more efficiently are punished, not rewarded. Managers will go out of their way to decide that if an employee is capable of working independently, the employee must have made some mistakes, even if there are no mistakes to be found.

Micro-managing is rampant. Supervisors routinely treat their employees in a rude, condescending manner, and will blame employees for mistakes that were actually made by the supervisor. The combination of paranoid, impossible-to-please managers and tedious, nose-to-the-grindstone tasks results in an extremely stressful work environment.

The office is deathly quiet. Managers discourage face-to-face interactions by expecting employees to use Skype/IM, even when the manager or co-worker is only a few steps away from the employee’s cubicle. Employees are deskbound and have little opportunity for physical activity other than during lunch or short walks to the restroom.

Opportunities for upward advancement are pretty much nonexistent. (Management is at least up-front about this.)

Advice to Management

CorVel managers already believe they know everything and do not welcome employee input. Offering advice to management would be an exercise in futility.

"Office Manager"

Current Employee - Office Manager in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Office Manager in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at CorVel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great environment and I love my corworkers

Cons

the benefits aren't the best. Standard 2 weeks vacation but must be accrued, health insurance isn't good and no paid maternity leave

"less than average"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at CorVel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

learnt a lot, made some friends

Cons

micromanaged, odd working environment, very little interaction with colleagues. no interaction between men and women and if there is any interaction it is extremely odd and tends to be demeaning towards women. extreme pressure and heavy workload, bad pay, very bad benefits, people are treated badly by management with no respect, bad and toxic company culture. no opportunity to grow.

Advice to Management

change the company culture. provide better pay and better benefits and less workload.