Cummins Reviews

4.1
Cummins Chairman and CEO Tom Linebarger
Tom Linebarger
2,198 Ratings

What people are saying about Cummins

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "good work/life balance is good(in 468 reviews)
  • "Leaders role model and champion the values; company cares about its people and their lives; great products and leading edge technology(in 354 reviews)
  • "Their benefits are good and seem to be fairly administered.(in 246 reviews)
  • "Great culture so long as you are in the 'right' BU or organization within a given BU.(in 237 reviews)
  • "Pay is good and they are very loyal company(in 189 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Cummins and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Functional Test Engineer

May 26, 2022 - Functional Test Engineer in Columbus, IN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Diversity & inclusion Chance to learn & grow Work/ personal life balance

Cons

Nothing on top of my head

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Overall better than most in My opinion

May 20, 2022 - Mechanical Engineering Drafting Apprentice in Columbus, IN
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have felt the leadership in general genuinely cares about workers. I have expressed some dissent for some things and have not been retaliated against. Most people I have worked with have been very friendly and helpful. Leadership generally does what they say they will do. I do think it's better than average corporation

Cons

It is a multi national corporation and suffers the same bureaucratic garbage that all entrenched companies do. Like if payroll makes a mistake with your pay they will claw back every cent in the most inconvenient way possible. Executives during pandemic pay cuts said they would take a 50% pay cuts just not to their bonus or calculated base salary of the bonus which is most of their pay so in effect for the year they took 3% paycut to most everyone elses 5% yearly accumulated. Low man on the totem pole always gets the shaft so layoffs and pay cuts come first to the lowest workers so pretty average corporate disregard in that respect. While I do believe they are generally better than many corporations that is a very low bar and you will be sacrificed over profits in most instances maybe just fewer than most companies.

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

A company that cares about you

Mar 9, 2022 - Manufacturing Development Program Associate in Columbus, IN
    Business Outlook

Pros

-They care a lot about all of their employees, not just office guys, but operators as well. -Cummins is great for international students as they have a lot of experience dealing with H1B visas, green cards, and OPT. They have a buffet of lawyers prepared to help their international employees -They are flexible with work hours(depending on the job it may vary)for example if you are quality and you need to be on line from 8-3, because of production times. Then you can choose if you want to be from 5 to 3, or from 8 to 5, depending on your preferenace. It happened to me, that I worked some days from 5am to 4pm mon-thur, and friday my manager allowed me to take Friday off, because the projects were going great and I was exceeding the expectations. This didn't happened every week, but in the weeks that I had to be on the 3 shifts because of the nature of the project.

Cons

Overall Cummins shows their warm and welcoming culture and their people values all over the world. However, your work experience(days off, workload, mentoring, and work schedule) depends a lot in your Manger. This is not with a negative connotation, my two managers that I have had are great. But this can change from manager to manager and I have heard probably 1 out of 20 people that their manager was not that great.

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Cummins Experience

Feb 16, 2022 - Senior Product Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great company culture valuing caring for co-workers and team work. Always felt supported by Management and able to choose desired path. Able to see clear path for how to be promoted. Enjoy the work and have a lot of resources available to learn.

Cons

- Timing on Projects is usually unrealistic without buffer and little to know input from team doing work. - Work Life Balance used to be better changed in last few years but still is not too bad. - Not given enough time for training have a lot of great training resources but expected to take them on your own time. - Major Layoffs every 4 years

1 person found this review helpful
  5. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Good team

May 27, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very accommodating. Good work-life balance.

Cons

Layoffs typically happen every 3-5 years. Not very good if you're on the chopping block.

6. 5.0