Cummins Reviews | Glassdoor

Cummins Chairman and CEO Tom Linebarger
Tom Linebarger

1,933 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • The work-life balance can often tip to the work side more (in 64 reviews)

• Small town, nearest airport is about an hour away (in 67 reviews)

1. "Great company, among last of the breed"

Former Employee - Corporate Director in Columbus, IN
    Former Employee - Corporate Director in Columbus, IN

I worked at Cummins full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People, people and people....Great values based company, focused on employee development and growth. I joined the company fairly late in my career but got plenty of opportunities to learn and develop as a leader. Almost religious focus on talent management, which given the location of headquarters is ideal. Great products, installed base and group of talented people to work with.

Cons

Mature company with well entrenched senior team, hasn't been handling the demographic shift well with people having to wait a long time in the wings to get to do anything impactful. Good if you just started your career but not if you are already a decade or more into your career.

Advice to Management

The diversity game is a bit overdone. If every hiring or team decision is filling the diversity target, then don't hire people who will not fit into the target demographic.

2. "Cummins is a big company with many great employees with a desire to get involved"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineering in Plymouth, MN
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineering in Plymouth, MN

I have been working at Cummins full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people here truly care about helping one another. They care about their employees and emphasize a good work life balance. There is also a large amount of very experienced people around which helps when seeking guidance.

Cons

The departments don't all share the same goals or metrics so sometimes one department won't help another because it isn't in their best interest even though it would be in the best interest of the company.

There is also no formal training for those in engineering roles which may lead to some skill gaps

Advice to Management

Invest in some more formal technical training or enforce training guidelines for managers.

Clarify the rules and guidelines regarding the rating system.

"Excellent Company to work for."

Current Employee - Technical Specialist in Columbus, IN
    Current Employee - Technical Specialist in Columbus, IN

I have been working at Cummins full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good place to learn & grow. Great compensation & low cost of living.

Cons

Nothing which I have experienced so far.

5. "SC Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Cummins full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good talent, decent pay and benefits

Cons

Too slow to make changes. Not sure what future holds and do not see any signs of something strong.

Advice to Management

Make decisions and move faster

6. "Great community focus"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, IN

I have been working at Cummins (Less than a year)

Pros

There are many perks for working for this company. They offer an amazing number of opportunities to help in community based projects. They have several focus groups.

Cons

Pressure based performance; not as systematically organized as expected. Feels political and bureaucratic.

Advice to Management

Be authentic and honest - say what you mean and mean what you say.

"Decline of a Good Company"

Former Employee - Engineering Team Lead in Columbus, IN
    Former Employee - Engineering Team Lead in Columbus, IN

I worked at Cummins full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work-life balance is good, first level management is knowledgeable and responsive. Columbus is a great town to raise a family.

Cons

Forced ranking that feeds the every 3-4 year layoff cycle. Corporate leadership that is solely focused on stockholders and not employees. Layoffs tend to target older and more experienced employees which is crippling the productivity of the engineering groups. Company values diversity over engineering capability.

Advice to Management

Push the focus back on quality and the profits will come.

"Mixed bag - Confused leadership, Leadership Team is a club with great ideas but no courage and execution focus"

Former Employee - Finance Director in Columbus, IN
    Former Employee - Finance Director in Columbus, IN

I worked at Cummins full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good place to learn in early stages of your career. Process H1 visa very freely. Good for people who like to talk and be in limelight without delivering anything. If you are a 'yes man', you will do well.

Cons

Do not value outside company experience. Favoritism. Does not value courage or out of the box thinking..

Advice to Management

Management who does not walk the talk will make Cummins directionless and you will not be able to grow. You will only talk about growing without delivering growth.

"Director Global Supply Chain for a BU"

Former Employee - Director Supply Chain in Columbus, IN
    Former Employee - Director Supply Chain in Columbus, IN

I worked at Cummins full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

One of the best companies to grow as a a Global Leader. Values based Organization and best environments to work for. Cummins cares about its employees like a family and this is very rare in this age. Growth is based on your own motivation to own your career. I was fortunate to be part of thisCompany for over 12 Years and am very grateful for all the Opportunities i got to grow and contribute.

Cons

Cummins has ( in my view) lost its focus on its core and its mission with so. Of the disruption we are seeing in its core products . Its not Clear to me me where the company is headed. We have also become ( again in my view) a company that values consensus and alignment more than innovation or dissent.

Advice to Management

You know what needs to happen. Its starts with geeting Rich to run the Company. Tom( needs to do something else ( he is a great strategist but weak on execution and innovation in my view ) . If we don't get next gen products, Cummins will end up with fate of IBM typewriters.

10. "Site Leader"

Current Employee - Site Leader in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Site Leader in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Cummins full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

great leadership team, diverse and good workforce

Cons

Not aggressive and innovative enough

Advice to Management

drive more changes and accountability

"Company on the Decline"

Current Employee - Design Engineer in Rocky Mount, NC
    Current Employee - Design Engineer in Rocky Mount, NC

I have been working at Cummins full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been working at Cummins full-time as an engineer for more than 6 years. The company seems to value diversity.

Cons

Forced ranking is the biggest weakness in this company which feeds the every 3-4 year layoff cycle. Layoffs target experienced employees with typically 5 or more years of experience. The longer one stays in the company, the longer he/she is expected to be laid off. The lack of experienced engineers is a direct consequence of this forced lay off which in turn impacts the productivity of the engineering groups.

Another area of concern is the weak and corrupt leadership that is solely driven by political gains over actual work. Management has unrealistic expectations from engineers while there is no training/development plan whatsoever to help them reach even close to those expectations. Favoritism is rampant within organizations and the HR department seems to turn a blind eye to management's unethical behavior. The corporate management is focused on stockholders and not employees. This company is at best an option for college graduates to get a foot in the door but I would not recommend it as a place to build a career.

Advice to Management

Stop with the political agenda and blatant favoritism and focus on actual work. Focus on hiring and retaining talent for the right reasons and the profits will come.

Showing 1,933 of 2,210 reviews