Dollar Tree Reviews

Updated May 12, 2021

3.2
Dollar Tree CEO Gary Philbin (no image)
Gary Philbin
Pros
  • "They have really flexible hours which works well if you are a student(in 129 reviews)

• "I grew a lot through managing as an assistant due to the fast-paced training(in 122 reviews)

• Cons
  • "If you are not management you receive minimum wage of 7(in 228 reviews)

• "Stress not worth pay For part time employees(in 185 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Dollar Tree and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Cool first job

Apr 23, 2021 - Cashier in King City, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The staff was nice and easy to work with

Cons

Only one person cashiering during busy times and had no help

2. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

profit made off of the exploitation of the worker is theft of quality of life for the sake of gain.

May 4, 2021 - Assistant Operations Manager in Lake Jackson, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

good relationships with coworkers, most management

Cons

low pay with unreasonable expectations. Minimal staffing to the detriment of both staff and customers. Many smaller stores have no stocking team, all cashiers are expected to stock. You are expected to achieve 1 box per 2 minutes, regardless of size, dept, customer flow, and interruptions. all employees that are not actively management are paid minimum wage, and do not accrue vacation or sick time regardless of time spent with the company. health insurance is actually pretty good for the cost, but also the lowest version (which you have to wait a year to get) is 100/month, and when you're making minimum (texas is 7.35/hr) at 15 hours a week (or less) You're only making 110.75/week before taxes. Like, seriously? How are you supposed to make ends meet? And upper management is terrible about you having another job to make up for it - They are always minimally staffed, and want you to be available to pick up a shift at a moment's notice. If you don't, district and regional will tell you to phase the employee out without firing them, by giving them even fewer hours until they "reidentify their priorities" - with the idea being to make dollar tree your first and only priority. Uniforms are specifically a green collared polo shirt, and no blue jeans, any deviation is a possible (recommended) write up. The shirts are not provided, and the ones that are available for purchase are upwards of 25$ a piece! So, A quarter of your weekly paycheck to buy a single shirt. The turnover is MASSIVE. Understandably so. act your wage everyone

3 people found this review helpful
    3. 1.0

Soul Draining

Apr 30, 2021 - Allocation Analyst
      Business Outlook

Pros

Decent benefits Office is nice My direct manager is nice

Cons

-Pay is less than anticipated. -The workload is unbelievably heavy. You’re constantly drowning in different forms of allocations to do. You’re also going to receive a million different requests on top of your heavy work load as well. -No work life balance. I feel like I can never take time off and I’m constantly working weekends to just even finish my base work. -Merchants will constantly breathe down your neck and ask for things to be done. -A lot of coworkers are rude. People will talk over you, talk down to you, and find ways to treat you like you’re stupid. -Systems are unreliable. They move incredibly slow. It takes forever to even do the job you need to do. -Culture is all about winning and how to drive sales and create growth. Your job is even reviewed on it. Yet it’s impossible to do this when you can’t even finish your weekly work, let alone go above and beyond.

2 people found this review helpful
    4. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Poor Management

Apr 10, 2021 - Cashier in Richfield, MN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Maybe see what they sell

Cons

This location in Richfield, Minnesota. Bad management. She has poor communication skills, can’t even greet employees when they start work. Certainly has her favorites, allowing several employees to do limited work while others have to pick up the slack. She does a poor job at hiring assistant managers, too. They are incompetent, lacking strong interpersonal skills, and obviously not experienced with finer crowds.

5. 3.0

Tree Dee

Apr 16, 2021 - Cashier in Eaton, OH
      Business Outlook

Pros

Mostly, good people. I have liked working with most of them. Usually, four hour shifts, but sometimes 5 or 5.5 hour shifts.

Cons

Only get 1 ten minute break for any hours worked under six hours. Some people get away with not showing up to work and not calling; Mother and daughter work in same store, so if mom does no call/no show, daughter calls off work. Yet, still they have a job there. Message to people who come in to work, on time, and do the best job they can, are not much appreciated. Just expected to compensate for dead weight on the team. Not interested in that.

2 people found this review helpful
    6. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Overall, a good place to work part-time

May 4, 2021 - Cashier in Frostburg, MD
      Business Outlook

Pros

It's a pretty easy job. the company has its moment just like all others do. I personally have great managers at my store. The hours are pretty flexible and short shifts.

Cons

You do only make min -wage but to be honest you do much so the pay isn't much of an issue in my opinion.

7. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Meh

May 10, 2021 - Operations Manager in Chesapeake, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Growth Opportunity due to constant turnover

Cons

Deal with alot of drama but it is what it is. Constantly understaffed, no way to get work done.

8. 4.0

sale

May 11, 2021 - Store Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

it a great place to grow

Cons

no downside at dollar tree

9. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great place to work...if one were to be scheduled

Apr 21, 2021 - Part Time Cashier in Oceanside, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Coworkers are super friendly. - Cheap prices are great for people on a tight budget.

Cons

Don't get nearly enough hours scheduled per week to make it viable. Being scheduled only 1-2 days out of the entire week sucks, especially in California.

10. 1.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Don’t work here, it’s not worth it

Apr 17, 2021 - Cashier in San Antonio, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

The only pros of this job is the coworkers. However, seeing as coworkers vary from store to store I’d say that there are NO pros to working this job.

Cons

If I listed every con to working this job we’d be here all day. I’ll simply list them out to make it easier. First, rude customers (I feel like that’s a given). Second, the starting pay is $7 an hour which I guess isn’t too bad, but then you add in the fact that they pay bi- weekly. I don’t want this to turn into a dollar tree rant so I’ll end with this. I am over worked every single shift. The things this company makes you do IS NOT, I repeat, IS NOT worth SEVEN DOLLARS AN HOUR. I never work too hard for this job because it simply isn’t worth my energy.

1 person found this review helpful