Cover image for Lower

Found 540 of over 562 reviews

2.8
Lower CEO Dan Snyder
Dan Snyder

What people are saying about Lower

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Such a great culture.(in 71 reviews)
  • "Great people that work there and during the “all time low rates” the company really was the place to be of course.(in 52 reviews)
  • "The pay was decent.(in 23 reviews)
  • "The training is great and extensive.(in 18 reviews)
  • "Met great coworkers and memories(in 18 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Lower and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

great company

Oct 3, 2022 - Loan Processor in Columbus, OH
    Business Outlook

Pros

always very fair and management truly cares about their employees even in hard times such as these.

Cons

The industry is at a crossroads.

Continue reading
    Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 2.0

No Longer a Good Place to Be

Oct 4, 2022 - Loan Advisor
    Business Outlook

Pros

When times were good, this was a 5-star company to work for. Culture was great, leadership was motivating, and compensation was decent. We provided a top-notch product with impeccable service. This is no longer the case.

Cons

Top-level executives failed to forecast the market shift, even though the average Joe knew for the last 2 years that economic challenges were on the horizon and rates would skyrocket. For the first 3 quarters of 2022, they played it off like it business was still the best it’s ever been, meanwhile, mass layoffs were happening on a regular basis, decent wages became a thing of the past, and products were being discontinued left and right. Our clients were getting an inferior product, at a higher cost, while also receiving horrendous service with little confidence of their loans actually closing. To put it bluntly, when my friends or family asked me to do the loan for their new homes, I suggested they look elsewhere because I care about them. If Lower is still around when the market stabilizes and they start hiring again, do not work for them. It may workout when things are good, but when a challenge comes their way, your experience will go downhill, and that’s assuming they decide to keep you.

22 people found this review helpful
  3. Join the Lower team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 2.0
    Former Employee

Great place to start, bad place to stay

Aug 17, 2022 - Loan Advisor in New Albany, OH
    Business Outlook

Pros

I’ve met people that I 100% will be in touch with for a long time. Great people that work there and during the “all time low rates” the company really was the place to be of course.

Cons

Lots of areas to touch in but I will keep it simple. The pay you wanted was obtainable when rates were great. The problem was the adjustment when things started to spike. It was like upper management thought it would last forever (it doesn’t work like that). Plus in my region upper management was full of great sales people who frankly had no business managing a group of people. Metrics were constantly increasing during a rate hike and it was physically impossible to demand as much volume that was produced before! After metrics weren’t getting hit was when bad management fell into play by trying to reinvent the wheel and actually threatening jobs. Once that started nobody on the floor was comfortable and resumes across the board were being updated. Micromanaging increased and day to day life suffered. Then layoffs started happening by the masses and it was a scary environment. I pray for the people who are still there. Anyways, the sick/PTO days were combined into 3 weeks. And management would demand us to come into the office even if you fell ill and thought you had Covid… 401k was absurdly low. It feels wrong to keep going on about the bad things that happened here, but read the reviews below and you’ll see it’s a common theme.

14 people found this review helpful

Lower Response

We appreciate the feedback. The industry has had it’s challenges this year and our teams are working hard to ensure that we are updating processes and procedures to adapt. We wish you the best!

5. 2.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Managers Need a Reality Check

Sep 21, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits are good, remote and took a chance with hiring me on.

Cons

Management in certain departments are unprofessional, hypocritical, unappreciated of hard work others do for them, demeaning and do not know how to manage or help others when help is being asked. Some managers are quick to blame others when something goes wrong without getting all the facts and never takes ownership for their own mistakes. High expectations of perfection which is nearly impossible. Certain managers have been known to speak negatively about other employees to other employees or those outside of the company and have on several occasions been caught telling outside customers, vendors etc. to not send documents or their payments to certain locations because those working at those particular offices, they claim it's a possibility it will get lost when in turn, again, they did not get all the facts of what may or may not even occurred and they def. don't care to listen especially those whom they see as below them or less valued. It's all about power, title and control to these people.

11 people found this review helpful
  6. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good starting job, long odds you'll really make it

Oct 14, 2022 - Loan Officer Assistant
    Business Outlook

Pros

Not going to rehash all that much from prior reviews - Lower hired a LOT of people from 2020 through to the beginning of 2022 because of the need for warm bodies to take apps and close loans that only an idiot would say no to. I lucked out and had a pretty stable chain of management the entire time I was there (NOT common) - my team lead and branch manager were both rock solid and they were in my corner every time I needed anything. Frankly, they were the reason I stayed as long as I did. I was learning a lot! Cool food service in the new building, and it's pretty quiet now that they've laid off most of the staff that were there.

Cons

Before I start: I know there have been layoffs in the customer care department, so if they're the ones reading this - you guys are great and it's not your fault :( Company decline was gradual until everything hit at once in the last few weeks. The last round of layoffs was BAD (enough to make the news) and completely destroyed several chains of communication between sales and operations, corporate, etc. Any sense of "culture" that the President & CEO tried to place through "leadership training" (just them bringing in their local sales and exec-level friends) or company events is long gone. No company events for the rest of the year, not like there were going to be people to attend... The current comp plan sucks. Management can blame "current market conditions" all they want but it doesn't change the fact that the per-head numbers (read: volume funded, # of loans funded) kept going down, even as they kept firing people. The whole business model for the inside sales channel is just too close to what competitors (Better, LoanDepot) set themselves up on - and they're all faceplanting right now. Those who are left in inside sales are definitely asking some tough questions about how they're gonna keep their heads above water. They're not telling us *explicitly* what direction they want to take the company here for the next few months but it's pretty obvious to anyone observing them. Any sort of operations role or even corporate role gets stepped on by leadership who are all former salespeople that placed a former salesman in upper management so they could boss them all around. Again, not unusual for the industry but it's sucked to see all of it shake out. They were treated as disposable, even with how much work they were asked to do all the time. Also, HUGE pizza party culture in some parts of the sales department. Fun fact, a large pizza from Flyer's does NOT change the fact that pay for everyone's bad! I was freaking sick of everyone trying to hype up the garbage products we were having to sell, lol. Vibes in the office have gone down the drain and there's no real path to get them back up from what I can see. It just feels so bleak. Going to reiterate some other miscellaneous points here: CEO balked pretty hard as things were starting to get bad and let IT go on about Sales Ops updates when he COULD have actually manned up and given us some stronger words of support other than "cash in the bank." There have also definitely been some policy violations, which is the reason you now actually *see* a search result if you google "Lower LLC lawsuit." (Tip: Watch where you're putting your info!) President's good friends with the CEO of North Star - if you've ever worked a service job in Columbus, you know that's probably one of the nastiest managers you can get out of any establishment in the area. And that's who Lower is bouncing ideas off of? Yikes. ALSO: benefits are smelly. Sales doesn't get a PTO payout and Ops got like half of what they were owed in total dollar amount. One other thing I want to SPECIFICALLY point out for *WOMEN* is that it's a man's club because of the focus on sales. Can get really fratty and some of the managers have let some very objectionable things slide. Lower kept an employee that was walked out IN CUFFS because his violation didn't prohibit him from selling loans and he was a top producer. They only let him go once he stopped producing, lol. Once layoffs started happening you started to see people who were planning on maternity leave suddenly find themselves out of work, and some of the best salespeople in the company shouldn't have a hot mic on when they're talking about women. I'll leave it at that.

21 people found this review helpful
  7. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

From day one…. Unprofessional and unorganized and non inclusive

Sep 1, 2022 - Business Development Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexibility, wfh opportunities in some departments. Everybody outside of management was absolutely wonderful.

Cons

Poor communication from upper management, once you max your pay structure- they alter it so that you make half of what your max was, so instead of cutting low performers - they take money away from their top performers. experienced 2 large lay offs within six months, bro culture - if you don’t like sports this probably isn’t the job for you, non productive meetings, non-inclusive culture. Not a female friendly environment for really any department. Not even a friendly/inclusive environment for anybody who has different views/culture outside of the brain of a college frat boy. Be prepared to be dangled promotions to only have them yanked from under you on the day of. Not even up front but after weeks of planning and decision making.

16 people found this review helpful
  8. 3.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Giant Frat/Sorority House

Sep 19, 2022 - Purchase Lending Coordinator in New Albany, OH
    Business Outlook

Pros

Lively environment, updated views, good training program.

Cons

Probably one of the most uncomfortable environments I’ve ever worked in as a black woman in her late 20s. 1 out of 2 ppl were some young frat guy/athlete or sorority/party girl. It was almost insufferable coming to work, but I put myself out there and tried hard to get involved. It was like a popularity contest every single day and it is definitely encouraged from the top down. Then after all was said and done, I was let go with many other groups of people from each department since it was “slow season”. I moved cities for the job and was extremely disappointed as I was just getting back on my feet from the move. It was okay and I’m sure any young person right out of college would like it, but it is definitely not a healthy environment for POC (unless you’re an athlete/frat guy), someone established or someone looking to get in with a company for good.

2 people found this review helpful
  9. 1.0
    Former Employee

Lower, as I. lower standards for employees

Oct 27, 2022 - Loan Consultant
    Business Outlook

Pros

Weekends off. Well,We'll, almost every weekend....until they force you to work a Saturday.

Cons

Lower must have been named because of their lower standards for treating employees. Everyone above you is deceptive, condescending, manipulative, and abusive. Everyone you, as an employee, can go to and report or discuss this treatment is complicant and doesn't care. Nobody tells the truth, and the included to customers. Reading these reviews hits the nail right on the head of what it's like to work there. Soul and joy draining, stressful, and unfulfilling all while having terrible benefits and pay. Any positive review you read here is BS and is a fake review made by someone for compensation to keep the rating higher. It's amazing to see how fast the rating did drop, even with the bogus positive ratings. When I first started working there Lower had a 3.8 rating. At the time of this, it's 2.9. If you are planning on applying to work here; save your time, dignity, sanity, and health. Go work somewhere else.

16 people found this review helpful
  10. 1.0

Dumpster Fire

Oct 4, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

None to speak of these days. All the “pros” of the company have been fired or driven out. Oh wait there’s a barber shop! So if you’re shipping out tomorrow you’re in the right place.

Cons

Just read the reviews. Not a lie has been told. With the exception of the contrived responses from HR. I think one of the HR reps tasked with responding has since been fired (LOL) Favoritism to an extreme here - you might notice some very fishy trends. Last thing worth mentioning that hasn’t already been said. This company is probably never going public but they want you to believe it just long enough that the two talking heads (you know) can make their fat paycheck when they make their exit. It was never about the people/optimizing home ownership. It was always about pumping it up for a rug pull on the people whose backs it was built off of. They’re not even clever enough to hide it, if you just listen to what they have said you’ll hear exactly what’s happening.

19 people found this review helpful
  11. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Tough industry. Bad company adjustment with market

Sep 30, 2022 - Mortgage Loan Advisor
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have worked with some of the best people here and I still speak with them today. Great way to get foot in the door with the industry

Cons

It was fun in the beginning but when the rates started climbing, management started walking around with their heads cut off. and communication, which is already muddled, became worse. We would be told how long certain plans, like HELOCs, will take by upper management and we would give that information to the clients just to be told later by management that we are taking HELOCs away and ones remaining were going to wait 120 days+ to get money. Underpaid for what you do for your job and there is always change, which is more then what I have seen at other young companies. Consistency and job security were always a top worry and leaders were only in those positions because they could sell well, not whether they can manage or not. Cliquey. Management deals with management or those that have been with the company for 3+ years.

7 people found this review helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 540 Reviews
</>Embed

Lower Reviews FAQs

Lower has an overall rating of 2.8 out of 5, based on over 562 reviews left anonymously by employees. 38% of employees would recommend working at Lower to a friend and 35% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -35% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Lower employees rate their compensation and benefits as 2.6 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Lower. This rating has decreased by -34% over the last 12 months.

38% of Lower employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Lower 2.8 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.0 for culture and values and 2.9 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Lower to be culture, coworkers, career development and the cons to be senior leadership, management, benefits.

Popular Careers with Lower Job Seekers