OpenText Reviews | Glassdoor

OpenText CEO and CTO Mark J. Barrenechea
Mark J. Barrenechea

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "No standard process and work life balance" (in 34 reviews)

• "Sometime senior management does not response" (in 39 reviews)

1. "Great group of talented people at the Scottsdale's office"

Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at OpenText full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It had a pretty flat hierarchy, I worked with leaders who didn't care a lot about titles.

Cons

Very few bad apples, who were talented but caused conflict.

2. "lots of products"

Former Employee - Media Strategist in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Media Strategist in Columbia, MD

I worked at OpenText (More than a year)

Pros

lots of products to sell.

Cons

lots of products to support.

Advice to Management

use your products internally.

"Out-of-touch corporate bureaucracy that doesn't value its employees"

I have been working at OpenText full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They at least didn't directly cut my pay post-acquisition
    Week-long holiday for some roles between Christmas and New Year's
    All other pros come from the company before it was acquired (and those are being steadily eroded)

Cons

I, like the vast majority of OpenText employees, joined the company as part of one of its endless acquisitions. They assured us during the process that things would go smoothly, that there wouldn't be lay offs and things would be business as usual. They've done this many times, so they know what they're doing, they said. Within 6 months, we had the first round of layoffs. A few months later, all of our in-house IT staff was laid off without warning, crippling our support systems and causing sweeping outages.

It is unclear whether the lies and blunders were due to malice, incompetence, or simple greed. We saw our benefits cut, receiving worse health insurance especially for families (forcing many of the employees who survived to leave). Our 401k matching was cut to a pitiful percentage, and even arrived late due to payroll errors. Pay raises were delayed to the following calendar year in order to implement a new performance review system, complete with goal management and time tracking. In some cases, people were delayed upwards of 6 months, only to get a pitiful ~1% increase that didn't even keep pace with inflation. All this while the company continues to acquire more and more companies, and touting it's highest profit ever during quarterly buzzword-bingo all hands meetings where the CEO bloviates about the latest buzzwords or pet concepts of his.

If OpenText doesn't cut your job, they will cut your benefits until you leave. Our health insurance is worse (to the point they had to offer a stipend to cover the increased cost to prevent a mass exodus). Our vacations and holidays are less flexible. Our raises and bonuses are nearly nonexistent. This is an international technology company with offices worldwide that DOES NOT ALLOW TELECOMMUTING as a matter of policy, even when your team is in a different state or country. There is no meaningful direction from leadership beyond vague concepts whose reasoning you'll never get to know. Orders come from on high without consideration for those below, and if you question them you get quoted snippets of "policy" (if you get a response at all). There is no obvious path to career growth, short of waiting for someone above you to get fed up and leave.

OpenText's modus operandi is to acquire companies, trim all the fat (and then some), and skate by on lingering revenue streams. For a company with such a wide range of products under its umbrella, you'd expect some collaboration and innovation. There isn't. It's a grim testament to capitalism that a company like this not only stays afloat, but excels.

You are not safe from the axe. There is no meaningful future here. Get out now. Please don't make my mistake.

Advice to Management

Value your employees, give them the pay and benefits they deserve, and actually talk with the people on the ground to know what they need and want. Let your acquired businesses operate more independently; we know better how to manage our existing business than you do. Give us the resources we need to collaborate and grow then get out of the way.

You'd know all this if you ever just listened, instead of ignoring us until a crisis happens.

"Unequal Pay for same roles"

I have been working at OpenText full-time

Pros

It’s a slow paced culture without a lot of micro management at the mid level.

There really aren’t a lot of people trying to climb the ranks and as such, social politics are low.

Cons

Salaries aren’t given equally. For the same role and on the same hire date, an Asian woman was given a lower salary than the white women and men hired on the same job requisition . And the Asian woman had the most experience out of the three women... similarly, an Asian man stepped into one of these roles and also got the same lower salary as the Asian woman....but not close to the salary of the white woman (with less credentials).

So it’s obvious that OpenText values white workers over the Asians. I guess they’ve tried to rectify that by hiring an Indian woman as CFO but they’ve got a long way to go for salary parity. Yes, people do discuss their salaries and most people on a team know how much their peers make. So it’s a shock when we learn that the Asians make less in the same role.

Advice to Management

Ask yourself if you’re REALLY focused on diversity within your American offices.

"This company funds its growth on the back of its employees"

I have been working at OpenText full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

New Technology, Good People, flexible work environment(tele-commute, dress, hours).

Cons

very poor HR department, very poor pay raises, focus on executive compensation over worker-bee compensation. This company's strategy is "growth by acquisition". They do not invest in on-going operations. They have annual layoffs and appear to be moving to an 60% or greater off-shore employment strategy. The CEO is a micro manager and still seems to think he is leading a startup company. They freeze business travel every year, but the CEO still flies on chartered jets and uses private drivers. This is a burn out shop, so be prepared for the expectation of 10+ hour days plus weekend work.

Advice to Management

Throw your employees a bone every now and then. Every year you cut or reduce the benefits for employees. In 2016 it was a reduction in 401k match. In 2017 it was an increase in health care premiums. In 2018 it was the elimination of the global awards and recognition program and the elimination of tele-commuting.

"Employees are pawns"

Current Employee - Professional
    Current Employee - Professional

I have been working at OpenText full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Sorry, can't think of any.

Cons

CEO is an emperor, not a leader. Has patronizing advice for employees on how to best manage their lives, spend their bank holidays, etc. Boasts regularly about company financial success, yet employees are continually stiffed for benefits, compensation, and education reimbursement, etc. Many employees have been without raises for years on end. Even the federal government has cost-of-living increases.

Advice to Management

Don't expect employees to have any loyalty when you constantly reduce their incentive to remain. It's a bull market out there for folks with the skills you need.

"Stay far away!"

Current Employee - Manager in Gaithersburg, MD
    Current Employee - Manager in Gaithersburg, MD

I have been working at OpenText full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Vacation package is pretty good with a Christmas shut-down. But see Cons...

Cons

Even though they offer a great vacation package and holiday shut down, you'll end up having to work. The pay is awful and there is currently a 2 year freeze on increases. Too many acquisitions that are not carefully planned out on a business prospective. The CEO does not care about the workers, he only cares about how much money he and the ELT get. I'm making less per paycheck every year for the last 3 years due to increased employee contributions for benefits and not getting any type of increase. Our 401K match has been decreased to 1% - what a JOKE! And I have always received a 4 or better on my reviews. Also, they do not classify job functions properly. After being here for almost 10 years, they continue to classify my job function as an M1, entry level. I'm far from entry level but this helps them justify the low salary!! More work, less pay, that's their motto. Sad because up until 3 years ago, OpenText was a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Share the wealth and appreciate the hard work and dedication your employees provide to line your own pockets! Get rid of Mark B!

"It would be hard to find a worse tech company to work for"

Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenText full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are supporting a legacy product, you can have a long run here as no product is ever allowed to die as long as some customer is paying maintenance for it.

Cons

Horrible culture comes from the top down (what's the Russian saying -- a fish rots from the head? That's the case here). Mark B is an egotistical micromanager and that shapes everything. Whatever he blurts out, everyone scrambles to do, no questions asked. There is no incentive for individual thought or problem-solving. No idea is a good idea unless it comes from Mark.

Advice to Management

It's irrelevant - they don't want feedback from employees as evidenced by their 5 question employee survey. Such a joke.

"Lead Solutions Consultant"

I have been working at OpenText full-time

Pros

Good Technology, Good People, flexible work environment(tele-commute, dress, hours). Other than than it is down hill from here.

Cons

So many but here is the biggest. OpenText is a cancer, it eats companies through acquisitions. Then slowing kills everything good about that company. Benefits and perks are reduced after a year from the acquisition. 401k dropped to 1% match but they word it as 25% up to 4% because they now just saying 1% is horrible. Everything is monitored and scrutinized, from expense reporting to the number of times you use your badge to get into the building. They are extremely cheap, went 3 years without a raise but the company was growing 25% year over year.

Advice to Management

I would give advice to management but they clearly are not listening. So there is no point.

"Disappointing experience"

I worked at OpenText full-time

Pros

Good pay, benefits, immediate manager, with some innovative methods and processes.

Cons

This company grows by acquiring other companies. Beyond branding, there is little integration into the overall product line. The result is multiple, frequently overlapping products, operating independently, with no overarching leadership. This also leads to layoffs and politics.

Advice to Management

One feels as if management is basing its growth strategy on what’s been acquired, rather than acquiring based on a strategy. Acquire more strategically so that the product line is not so fractured. Add new leadership to acquired teams so that people and products are focused on a unified, corporate-wide goal.