Paycom Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Paycom President Chad Richison
Chad Richison

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They always bring catered lunches from good restaurants for lunch that cost only (in 36 reviews)

• She would always push me and notice the hard work that I put into this position (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is a struggle (in 49 reviews)

• However they reward you for the hard work ethic (in 27 reviews)

1. "Working at Paycom will change your life - and push you to be better than you are today."

Current Employee - Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay
    Fantastic benefits - $1 health insurance, great co-pays, low deductible, on-site flu shots, wellness program, EAP, HUGE network of providers, competitive premiums for dependents
    Easy to use technology - Apps, clear training, integrated in all aspects of employment
    Endless leadership development for all employees, not just management
    Catered lunches with easily accessible healthy choices
    Free onsite gym and fitness classes
    EXCELLENT and generous PTO policy
    Fun employee events and giveaways
    An HR department that really cares about employees and seeing them succeed
    Feedback oriented culture
    Seemingly endless opportunity for growth
    Internal training department for new hires and tenured employees

Cons

This is not a secret - Paycom has high expectations. It is competitive. If you're looking for a place where you can loaf... keep looking! To succeed at Paycom you have to be driven, innovative and you have to perform. This is not a "con" for those looking for a place to build a lucrative and rewarding career at one of Oklahoma's most prestigious growing companies.

Advice to Management

Continue with the focus on excellent customer service - the client makes decisions based on the relationships fostered through the process.

2. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at Paycom full-time

Pros

Paycom is an awesome company to work for! Great pay, a lot of opportunity for career growth, fun atmosphere, inexpensive healthcare, catered meals every day. We continue to grow like crazy!

Cons

Parking can be a challenge, but we are growing so fast that it's completely understandable.

"Proceed with caution."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Paycom full-time

Pros

- Certain positions and departments pay well, but not all.

- Medical insurance costs $1 per pay period, which is hard to beat.

- On-site gym is nice, but equipment is outdated.

- There is room for advancement, but it has a price (your life).

- The majority of employees are great people.

- The HR department is top-notch. I've never worked for a company whose HR department can compare to Paycom's.

Cons

- A large portion of employees are overworked and underpaid, sometimes to an extreme.

- Various positions and departments require 8+ hours of overtime, including weekends.

- A great culture is preached, but people make the culture. When people are unhappy, the culture suffers. No event can change this. (As an example, they recently celebrated Customer Service Week with an on-site carnival. However, the majority of customer facing employees were unable to leave their desk to enjoy the event. Ironic, right?)

- Even though Paycom recently opened a new parking garage, traffic is terrible. Even with traffic cops at entrances and nearby stoplights, it can take up to 30 minutes to even start heading home.

- Write-ups are easy to come by. I was never written up, but I'd need more than two hands to count the number of people I know who were written up for the tiniest, petty reasons.

- Team leaders are all over the board. I don't believe Paycom has found a good way to determine who to promote into these small management positions. Some are great, but there are some terrible team leaders who should not be where they are and upper management has never focused on this issue.

Advice to Management

- You can preach a great culture all you want to potential employees, but you also need to pay careful attention to the health of your current workforce. Events and (dirt cheap) giveaways are nothing more than a band-aid. They don't make up for the amount of time and energy your employees are required to spend at work.

- Refocus how you train your employees. All I ever heard from new hires was they never felt ready to do their job, even after graduating from a 12-week training.

- You're growing too fast and are struggling to maintain a high level of service. I know you want to be profitable, but at what cost? Take time to level out, focus on your employees' development and grow at a controlled rate. You may think you can keep up, but I promise you that you won't be able to and that you currently are not.

- Standardize your management protocol. Everything should be handled the same between departments in regards to managing employees. Leadership styles can differ. If management doesn't understand this, they shouldn't be in that role.

- Be extremely careful in how you approach the next few months. You're in an extremely delicate position right now and employees are unhappy. Expect large turnover in the latter half of 2017 and prepare for the chaos that could ensue.

Jul 14, 2017 – Paycom Representative

We appreciate your candor regarding your experience and we too recognize the quality of our HR team. We do want to take a moment to clarify a few things you mentioned in your list of cons. First, we... More

4. "Work Hard Play Hard"

Current Employee - New Client Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - New Client Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

After working in over six countries, Paycom has one of the most motivational cultures to grow professionally and personally. Not to mention how welcomed you feel and accommodated for needs.

One of the most structured career paths opportunities, great pay, amenities, incredible benefits for singles, and very competitive packages for families.

Paycom is a high tech company full of scholars in many expertise, you have capability to learn and be passionate about gaining knowledge in multiple fields of study.

Extreme support from coworkers all the way to upper management that are willing to support you every step of the way by simply asking.

Freedom to take ownership of your career and control your own work environment.

Cons

If you don’t like to learn and advance in your career, you will struggle.

Do we work hard, long hours, overtime, absolutely, but which leading company from construction to medicine does not. We are a project based company with deadlines and innovations to support clients.

The only real cons are self inflicted by not utilizing the tools and resources provided and not taking advantage of support available to cope with any situation faced.

I don’t like being stuck in traffic entering or leaving and finding parking especially on a motorcycle, but when we are growing faster than we can build, it’s more of a blessing than a con that I can live with.

Advice to Management

Together we can make history and break through any struggles as we are a fast growing technology company designed to satisfy and partner with every client in all industries.

Jul 24, 2017 – Representative

Thank you for the positive and constructive feedback! We're glad to have you on the Paycom team!

"Good First Job"

Current Employee - Paycom in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Paycom in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, great experience, great culture (very young and fun)

Cons

Micromanage employees, a lot of expectation for success without real support, you don't advance as quickly as they lead on

Advice to Management

Employees don't need monthly luncheons, they need to feel supported and appreciated for their work directly by supervisors, not Paycom as a whole

Jul 17, 2017 – Paycom Representative

Thank you for your review and sharing your experience. We'll make your feedback is communicated with the management team.

"You want to work here!"

Current Employee - Paycom Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Paycom Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management constantly encourages professional growth and daily learning. Fun and friendly atmosphere. The Opportunity for upward mobility is extremely prevalent.

Cons

There are no cons, per se. Being a Paycom Specialist has its challenges, as does every job. The best part about Paycom is that you are constantly being encouraged to grow and stretch your knowledge and aptitudes. Management wants you to grow, so they are absolutely willing to help you succeed in any capacity.

Jul 13, 2017 – Paycom Representative

Thank you for the review and for sharing your experience!

7. "Good"

I have been working at Paycom full-time

Pros

Benefits, career advancement, incentives, etc

Cons

Stressful at times mainly from internal sources

Jul 17, 2017 – Paycom Representative

Thank you for your review! While stress occurs in most job at some point, please be sure to let your supervisor or HR know if there's anything they can do to help.

8. "Six Months & Couldn't Be Happier"

Current Employee - Marketing in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Marketing in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly people. Good salary & Benefits. Set up for success. Cool boss. Don't feel micro managed. Great cafeteria. A gym.

Those are just a few of the things I like about working @ Paycom

Cons

Super restricted internet access is a bummer.

Jul 17, 2017 – Paycom Representative

Thank you for the review. We're happy to hear you feel you are set up for success. We want you to be successful! As for the internet access, as an HR and payroll technology company, we are passionate... More

9. "EDI Coordinator"

Current Employee - EDI Coordinator in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - EDI Coordinator in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great training process! I'm still in training, but I'll get 3 weeks of training in a class setting and shadowing other workers.
    Very employee oriented!
    $4 Catered lunches
    $1 health insurance
    Room for growth and raises!

Cons

I did take a bit of a pay cut coming here, but if i follow the leveling up plan, I should be able to more than make up for it by the end of my first year here.

Jul 18, 2017 – Paycom Representative

Thank you for the review and feedback!

10. "Payroll Specialist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free gym and workout programs, $4 catered lunches, $1 deduction cost for employee only health care, great work atmosphere, competitive pay.

Cons

Parking is difficult due to the # of people and the one way street, busy periods during holidays making it difficult to take time off/enjoy time away from work. Can be deemed stressful.

Jul 13, 2017 – Paycom Representative

Thank you for the review and sharing your experience.