Paycom Reviews | Glassdoor

Paycom President Chad Richison
Chad Richison

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "The work-life balance can be difficult during busy seasons" (in 80 reviews)

• "A con for some people might be the long hours" (in 46 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"This will be the best job you will get if you’re a hard worker"

Current Employee - Paycom Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Paycom Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is honestly the best job i think I’ll ever have. The benefits are amazing and the pay is more than i ever thought I could get. BE WARNED this job is hard. Never in my life have i had so much stress. That’s the reason why it pays so well. Be prepared to be stressed everyday and have heavy daily work loads and have new procedures constantly thrown at you from management. But guess what it’s your job so you either adapt or you don’t make it. You have to go into this job knowing it’s a potential career. You can’t wake up every day and barely slide through this and then complain that things aren’t fair. You have to be 100% everyday and you will be held accountable for every action you make. I took the job when i found out that my wife and I were having our first child and this job has provided so much for my family. The relationship you develop are amazing and the team atmosphere is very supportive. I’ve had issues with this position when i started to where I didn’t think was going to make it. But my team leader and supervisor stepped in and made sure that i felt wanted and supported.

Cons

This job is crazy hard. The stress you take home can really affect your outside of work relationships if you let it. Constantly trying to adapt.

Advice to Management

Get better at setting up specialist for success. Stop assigning extra projects that only prolong issues and make employees more stressed out.

Dec 7, 2017 – Paycom Representative

Thank you for your review and feedback. As we've communicated in the past, Paycom is growing fast and we understand this can cause some stress as we continue to innovate and stretch to make sure... More

2. "I've had many great years so far - I love it"

Current Employee - Development Supervisor in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Development Supervisor in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great leadership, fun culture, evolving environment, growth oriented, subsidized meals, great benefits, long term incentive, and ongoing training offered to all. Management has never disappointed me. Benefits have improved over the years to be great. Innovation is a core value in the software development realm.

Cons

No real cons. There is currently no tuition reimbursement (but plenty of on the job training).

Advice to Management

I would like a breakfast option for those that get to work before 7:30

Nov 2, 2018 – Paycom Representative

Thank you so much for your review!

"Why You Shouldn't Pass Up On Paycom"

Current Employee - New Client Setup Team Leader in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - New Client Setup Team Leader in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are many things that attribute to the value of a job opportunity. Depending on your values, you may place high importance on something that someone else may place none on. For example, working for a growing company may be extremely important to you, but someone else equally qualified may not value this at all personally. The fact that two people may view this differently doesn’t make it a less credible opportunity – it simply means it should be considered on an individual level.

What can be said about Paycom that is objectively true is that the incredible growth and success here is undeniable. This equates to a lot of opportunity for career growth, and also an exciting, fast-paced work environment for employees. Although there are other factors that need to be considered, I feel that these are the general presiding factors for how to weight the value of a career opportunity. If this at least intrigues you, then the overly generous benefits package, catered lunches, fully functioning gym, and competitive pay should only present this opportunity as more lucrative to you than before. However, it is the intangibles, in my opinion, that prove the real value of a career at Paycom.

The culture here is truly special. Any normal company with this type of extreme growth would be floundering culturally. Despite this though, Paycom’s culture seems to be flourishing. Because of the rapid growth, they have found a way to keep their culture tight like a family in a way that I can’t imagine many large companies do. The leaders here have also instilled some strong values of leadership, opportunity, and a desire for industry dominance in their people. The vision of our CEO is unmatched in other payroll companies and elsewhere, and you can sense this vision down at the extended roots of the organization. This is because the people here are amazing - I’ve worked for many managers in my years here, and I can honestly say that all of them have been better leaders than any others I ever had in several jobs prior to Paycom. It gives me a true sense of pride to work for them and work beside them each day.

If you are considering a career here, I would urge you to take the risk and go for it. That’s what any career decision ultimately is – a risk. If it ends up being a great fit, like it has for thousands of people before you, then it might just be the best career choice you’ll ever make. If it ends up not being a great fit, then at least you chose not to pass on a potentially life-changing opportunity. It might not be for everyone, but there hasn’t been a single day in any of my years at Paycom that I didn’t consider it a blessing to be here.

Cons

Not everyone is a perfect fit, but this is true about any job. If you are a great fit, you will soar. If you’re not, you will probably quickly become unhappy. A career here is demanding – it won’t always force you to compromise your hobbies or some weekend time, etc., but it will occasionally. However, you can absolutely still enjoy the life you have while working a demanding career. What if I told you that your job at Paycom would be tough, but the reward would far exceed the struggle – wouldn’t you have to be crazy to not want to work here?

Advice to Management

Continue to empower your employees. A lot of the 20-somethings you hired to build up this company have matured both personally and professionally in their years here. They understand the vision our executives share and clearly see the steps needed to help reach that vision. They also understand the customer's voice better than many other leaders because of their proximity to our clients, but they also understand how to align that with the vision Paycom has for our future. Providing seniors and lower-level managers the influence to pursue that vision is absolutely key to our success long-term. If we choose to include them in not just rollout-meetings but our literal strategies, we will win big and often. If we allow our growth of a company to suppress their influence, as it naturally would while growing this quickly, then we will continue to only make incremental progress toward our vision. We have to be intentional with this, because it will only get harder for us as we grow. Sometimes all it takes is an anonymous survey to know if an idea will be well received or if there are legitimate reasons for concern on the metaphorical front lines. If you feel you can trust your leaders with the feedback opportunity, then their feedback would be highly valuable. I feel like this type of feedback culture is something we're missing currently, and I think this is an area Paycom can be better fairly immediately that could have a large impact on the organization as a whole.

Nov 2, 2018 – Paycom Representative

We appreciate your detailed review and what you enjoy and love about working at Paycom. Our employees are the best part of what makes us winners!

4. "Software Developer !"

I have been working at Paycom full-time

Pros

Good Outlook
    Employee incentives
    Good Health care

Cons

no that I know of any

5. "IT"

I have been working at Paycom full-time

Pros

Great place to work if you want to learn and work hard. They invest in their people but do expect a lot in return. The people I work with are great and committed to doing a good job. This is not for people who don't want to work hard and are not self motivated. Company is growing fast and it creates a lot of opportunities for people who do a good job.

Cons

Sometimes we are slow to change but when we do make a decision we go fast.

Advice to Management

DEV, IT and any other unit that does not interface with customers should be able to wear jeans. Also need to think about allowing flexible work schedules and work from home options. A

Thank you for creating such a great place to work!

Oct 25, 2018 – Paycom Representative

6. "Director"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazingly creative atmosphere and great corporate culture.

Cons

I haven't found them yet!

Advice to Management

Keep stimulating growth by allowing all employees to work at the top of their skill level. Trust them to keep Paycom moving in the right direction.

Oct 26, 2018 – Paycom Representative

Thank you for your review!

"Tenured Sales Rep Review"

Current Employee - Executive Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Executive Sales Representative

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There has never been a better time to be a sales rep for Paycom. This is a sales oriented company. Our product is the best out there and Paycom can actually deliver the service that you're selling on the front line. That's important to me because I'm putting my name on the project and my brand is important to me. Highly compensated position, you will make life changing money and not at the expense of your personal life. You can have it all here. Since I've been here there have been 4 major comp changes and each time the compensation only got better. Promotes from within, huge opportunity for career growth. The caliber and quality of the people you work with, you are among the best of the best.

Cons

Not for everyone, it's fast paced and the industry is complex. If you want to hang with the best you've got to give it your best. Does not tolerate mediocrity.

Advice to Management

Implement something to celebrate tenure milestones. 5 Years, 10 Years, 15 Years+ with the same company is rare to find these days and tenure like that is the norm at Paycom. A trip, extra time off, gift, etc. could be something people work towards.

Oct 19, 2018 – Paycom Representative

We greatly appreciate sharing your experience and congratulate you on your success!

8. "IT"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is one of the most challenging and rewarding positions I have had in my career. My team is made up of highly skilled and motivated workers that work to make sure we are providing the best internet experience for our customers.

Cons

You really have to think about making changing to systems. We are pushed to be 100% accurate all the time.

Oct 25, 2018 – Paycom Representative

We appreciate your feedback and review!

"Trending in the Wrong Direction"

Former Employee - Transition Specialist (Implementation Manager)
    Former Employee - Transition Specialist (Implementation Manager)

I worked at Paycom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Financial Compensation
    - Professional Development
    - Great Product

Cons

1) Work life balance is completely non existent. Working 8 hours a day is frowned upon, in fact, if you get in after 7:00 AM and leave before 6:00 PM for any reason you will be judged. The vacation policy is pretty good, but don't you dare think about using the time you've earned. The majority of employees have hundreds of vacation hours banked because everyone is either terrified to use them or legitimately doesn't have the time in their schedule. All of this being said, that was easy to justify because of the professional growth and salary I was receiving.

2) Now is where it gets interesting. Let me talk about the sales team......

*****MOST OF THE REVIEWS HERE COME FROM THE NEW HIRE SALES TRAINING CLASS*****

3) They are told while they're at training (avg. tenure at this point is 1-2 months) they have to write a 5-Star review on Glassdoor.

4) Reps are told to promise all new clients that they will be at 2 major meeting (Kick-off and their first Payroll). However, sales managers then tell the reps they aren't allowed to go to any of those and leave it up to the implementation team to create a lie as to why they "couldn't make it"

5) Sales reps receive bonuses when a payroll starts on time, yet are told not to be involved in the implementation process at all

6) At the end of the day, Paycom only cares about the sales team. Sales managers sell almost every deal in the office, and the reps receive all of the credit. If you are not on that team, prepare to be overworked and undervalued

Advice to Management

You, knowingly or unknowingly, are creating a divide between sales and ops. Go back to when it was a team environment or your best talent will leave (if they haven't already) for better opportunities

"Cut throat sales job"

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Paycom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing salary & compensation
    Hard work pays off
    If you love to work, it’s perfect for you

Cons

As working here for the past couple of months, you start to realize that everyone’s fighting to stay alive and make their numbers. If your whole life is surrounded around work, then this is the perfect job for you. I have other friends in other locations who also work here and yes it’s very hard, but eventually your drive to work will burn out very quickly. We work on the weekends just to stay ahead and make out numbers, because when you don’t, you’ll get let go.

Advice to Management

Coach employees more on managing stress between work & their personal life

Nov 13, 2018 – Paycom Representative

We’re saddened to read of your experience. Our sales roles are very competitive and we have high standards, but those excelling in these roles have proven to create a lot of value for themselves and... More