Paycom Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Paycom President Chad Richison
Chad Richison

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They always bring catered lunches from good restaurants for lunch that cost only (in 36 reviews)

• She would always push me and notice the hard work that I put into this position (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is a struggle (in 49 reviews)

• However they reward you for the hard work ethic (in 27 reviews)

1. "Transition Specialist - Here to Stay!"

Current Employee - Transition Specialist
    Current Employee - Transition Specialist

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked here for almost 2 years now and I hope to stay with this company until I retire. The Transition Specialist role is very dynamic. Every day is different and you have the opportunity to work with clients from all different industries. I have a lot of freedom. I create my own schedule and manage my own projects, which allows me to adapt my work to my strengths and develop my own style. I enjoy the opportunities to travel during the week. I hated being chained to a desk in previous roles. I have also had the privilege of traveling out of state to take on clients in amazing vacation destination locations.

Great compensation - salary + commission + bonuses + car allowance + cell phone allowance

There is plenty of room for advancement both in the field on the management track and at our corporate location. I have already been considered for leadership positions.

Our leadership is incredible. Our managers are well trained and dedicated to their teams. I have formed a close bond with all of my managers and consider them mentors and friends. There's no micromanagement and I feel comfortable being open and honest with my managers. I feel that they respect me and do everything they can to help me reach my potential.

This is a great company for young professionals. The company promotes a culture of work hard play hard. We often meet outside of work for happy hour, team events like races and charity fundraisers, and I can honestly say some of my best friends were made here.

The company takes training very seriously and invests quite a bit of money into it. Initially you receive 6 weeks of intensive training in your home office, the corporate office, as well as a shadow week in another field office. We are flown out to Dallas a couple of times a year to train as a department. The accommodations are always really nice and we always have a fun social event planned during the training.

I enjoy the intellectual part of the job. It feels good to solve new puzzles every day.

The company is on an incredible track right now. We are growing like crazy and experiencing great success. I feel as though I'm on the ground floor of something incredible. Get in while you can.

Cons

Sometimes expectations are unrealistically high. We are expected to do things that directly contradict each other. (backend reports due on days that we're expected to be onsite with clients all day, for example).

This is not Paycom's fault, but some of the clients you have to work with can be REALLY nasty, which can be stressful.

I think that the Transition Specialist role should make more commission. Sales seems to make an unreasonably disproportionate amount considering the amount of work they do on the project in comparison.

I think they should change the "Transition Specialist" title. In reality, we are Project Managers, and we should have a title that reflects that.

This is not a role for the meek or faint of heart. You have to have confidence, swagger, and resilience to stand up to clients and face difficult challenges.

Long days/nights during the end of the year. TSRs can be assigned way too many accounts and their work suffers.

Advice to Management

Continue to find ways to improve our culture. Improving the PTO policy was a huge step in the right direction. Paid maternity leave should be the next step since this is a family first company!

"Proceed with caution."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Paycom full-time

Pros

- Certain positions and departments pay well, but not all.

- Medical insurance costs $1 per pay period, which is hard to beat.

- On-site gym is nice, but equipment is outdated.

- There is room for advancement, but it has a price (your life).

- The majority of employees are great people.

- The HR department is top-notch. I've never worked for a company whose HR department can compare to Paycom's.

Cons

- A large portion of employees are overworked and underpaid, sometimes to an extreme.

- Various positions and departments require 8+ hours of overtime, including weekends.

- A great culture is preached, but people make the culture. When people are unhappy, the culture suffers. No event can change this. (As an example, they recently celebrated Customer Service Week with an on-site carnival. However, the majority of customer facing employees were unable to leave their desk to enjoy the event. Ironic, right?)

- Even though Paycom recently opened a new parking garage, traffic is terrible. Even with traffic cops at entrances and nearby stoplights, it can take up to 30 minutes to even start heading home.

- Write-ups are easy to come by. I was never written up, but I'd need more than two hands to count the number of people I know who were written up for the tiniest, petty reasons.

- Team leaders are all over the board. I don't believe Paycom has found a good way to determine who to promote into these small management positions. Some are great, but there are some terrible team leaders who should not be where they are and upper management has never focused on this issue.

Advice to Management

- You can preach a great culture all you want to potential employees, but you also need to pay careful attention to the health of your current workforce. Events and (dirt cheap) giveaways are nothing more than a band-aid. They don't make up for the amount of time and energy your employees are required to spend at work.

- Refocus how you train your employees. All I ever heard from new hires was they never felt ready to do their job, even after graduating from a 12-week training.

- You're growing too fast and are struggling to maintain a high level of service. I know you want to be profitable, but at what cost? Take time to level out, focus on your employees' development and grow at a controlled rate. You may think you can keep up, but I promise you that you won't be able to and that you currently are not.

- Standardize your management protocol. Everything should be handled the same between departments in regards to managing employees. Leadership styles can differ. If management doesn't understand this, they shouldn't be in that role.

- Be extremely careful in how you approach the next few months. You're in an extremely delicate position right now and employees are unhappy. Expect large turnover in the latter half of 2017 and prepare for the chaos that could ensue.

Jul 14, 2017 – Paycom Representative

We appreciate your candor regarding your experience and we too recognize the quality of our HR team. We do want to take a moment to clarify a few things you mentioned in your list of cons. First, we... More

3. "Recruiter"

I have been working at Paycom full-time

Pros

So far I love everything about working for Paycom.

Cons

Nothing that I have found.

Jul 26, 2017 – Paycom Representative

Thank you for the review! We love that you love working here.

4. "Working at Paycom will change your life - and push you to be better than you are today."

Current Employee - Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay
    Fantastic benefits - $1 health insurance, great co-pays, low deductible, on-site flu shots, wellness program, EAP, HUGE network of providers, competitive premiums for dependents
    Easy to use technology - Apps, clear training, integrated in all aspects of employment
    Endless leadership development for all employees, not just management
    Catered lunches with easily accessible healthy choices
    Free onsite gym and fitness classes
    EXCELLENT and generous PTO policy
    Fun employee events and giveaways
    An HR department that really cares about employees and seeing them succeed
    Feedback oriented culture
    Seemingly endless opportunity for growth
    Internal training department for new hires and tenured employees

Cons

This is not a secret - Paycom has high expectations. It is competitive. If you're looking for a place where you can loaf... keep looking! To succeed at Paycom you have to be driven, innovative and you have to perform. This is not a "con" for those looking for a place to build a lucrative and rewarding career at one of Oklahoma's most prestigious growing companies.

Advice to Management

Continue with the focus on excellent customer service - the client makes decisions based on the relationships fostered through the process.

Jul 26, 2017 – Paycom Representative

Thank you for the review! We appreciate you sharing your experience and insight.

5. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at Paycom full-time

Pros

Paycom is an awesome company to work for! Great pay, a lot of opportunity for career growth, fun atmosphere, inexpensive healthcare, catered meals every day. We continue to grow like crazy!

Cons

Parking can be a challenge, but we are growing so fast that it's completely understandable.

Jul 26, 2017 – Paycom Representative

Thank you for the review! We hope you'll continue to be patient with us while portions of Paycom expansion are still under construction.

6. "Work Hard Play Hard"

Current Employee - New Client Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - New Client Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

After working in over six countries, Paycom has one of the most motivational cultures to grow professionally and personally. Not to mention how welcomed you feel and accommodated for needs.

One of the most structured career paths opportunities, great pay, amenities, incredible benefits for singles, and very competitive packages for families.

Paycom is a high tech company full of scholars in many expertise, you have capability to learn and be passionate about gaining knowledge in multiple fields of study.

Extreme support from coworkers all the way to upper management that are willing to support you every step of the way by simply asking.

Freedom to take ownership of your career and control your own work environment.

Cons

If you don’t like to learn and advance in your career, you will struggle.

Do we work hard, long hours, overtime, absolutely, but which leading company from construction to medicine does not. We are a project based company with deadlines and innovations to support clients.

The only real cons are self inflicted by not utilizing the tools and resources provided and not taking advantage of support available to cope with any situation faced.

I don’t like being stuck in traffic entering or leaving and finding parking especially on a motorcycle, but when we are growing faster than we can build, it’s more of a blessing than a con that I can live with.

Advice to Management

Together we can make history and break through any struggles as we are a fast growing technology company designed to satisfy and partner with every client in all industries.

Jul 24, 2017 – Representative

Thank you for the positive and constructive feedback! We're glad to have you on the Paycom team!

"Good First Job"

Current Employee - Paycom in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Paycom in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, great experience, great culture (very young and fun)

Cons

Micromanage employees, a lot of expectation for success without real support, you don't advance as quickly as they lead on

Advice to Management

Employees don't need monthly luncheons, they need to feel supported and appreciated for their work directly by supervisors, not Paycom as a whole

Jul 17, 2017 – Paycom Representative

Thank you for your review and sharing your experience. We'll make your feedback is communicated with the management team.

"You want to work here!"

Current Employee - Paycom Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Paycom Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management constantly encourages professional growth and daily learning. Fun and friendly atmosphere. The Opportunity for upward mobility is extremely prevalent.

Cons

There are no cons, per se. Being a Paycom Specialist has its challenges, as does every job. The best part about Paycom is that you are constantly being encouraged to grow and stretch your knowledge and aptitudes. Management wants you to grow, so they are absolutely willing to help you succeed in any capacity.

Jul 13, 2017 – Paycom Representative

Thank you for the review and for sharing your experience!

9. "Good"

I have been working at Paycom full-time

Pros

Benefits, career advancement, incentives, etc

Cons

Stressful at times mainly from internal sources

Jul 17, 2017 – Paycom Representative

Thank you for your review! While stress occurs in most job at some point, please be sure to let your supervisor or HR know if there's anything they can do to help.

"PSD Management Soiling CEOs Vision"

Current Employee - PSD
    Current Employee - PSD

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

$1 health insurance
    High pay if you put in the time.
    Recently revamped accruals- more PTO
    $4 catered lunches
    Year End Party
    On-site employee appreciation events

Cons

-Management in PSD department. We are led with a “trail and error” approach. Processes are often rolled out and then rolled back when the irrationality becomes apparent. Every week brings and even poorer thought out plan than the previous. This is the result of promoting people who incur favor from upper management as opposed to earning their promotions based on merit.
    -Unrealistic expectations of client facing roles.
    -Increased workload with no accompanying support from management.
    -Reactive process changes and job functionalities. Something has to go very wrong to initiate any kind of change.
    -Decline in quality of product. Massive IT problems.
    -Continuous set-up issues for new clients
    -No accountability from supporting departments- specialist told to take ownership of every error.

Advice to Management

Listen to and shadow your subordinates to accurately gauge what their daily duties truly entail. No manager who truly has their employees’ interests at heart would continue to pile on additional duties with impossibly high expectations then turn around and hand out write-ups like candy for the mistakes that take place. PSD is set up to fail and then penalized for doing so.

Paycom does not provide an avenue for employees to voice concerns and log complaints that provides actionable change. You will see Paycom respond to other negative reviews and suggest the HR hotline or talking to their immediate supervisor. Nothing seems to initiate change like a glassdoor review so until Paycom starts listening to their staff they will see an influx of reviews on glassdoor and other sites. If you have your manager’s support, you do not feel the need to get on glassdoor in the first place.

Paycom also does a major disservice to its clients with the monthly updates. These updates are not thoroughly vetted, break other system functions, and drive clients away. Several major clients have noticed this pattern and are now on an internal list to be exempted from certain updates. This is a great example of Paycom recognizing a problem and taking no action. Every solution is a temporary fix- the root causes continue to fester in the system and cause larger IT issues. Many clients leave because the product they pay for often glitches out and causes additional work for the client. Our IT department sacrifices quality for quantity- every month brings more than 20 updates and each could cause numerous additional problems. These problems will likely not be fixed until the next month’s updates.

Every job brings stress. Paycom may be the only company who puts more stress on its workforce than the customers they service. My advice to Chad Richison would be to replace his PSD management staff. Many of them come in to collect a paycheck instead of properly rolling out new processes to team leaders, saving clients who may leave for another payroll company, or taking action on any feedback they get- UNLESS that feedback gives them a chance to write someone up. Promote people who truly understand the company, the clients, and the employees instead of whoever is most popular at the time. Chad, I believe in your vision which is why I continue to work at Paycom. There is a huge chasm between your vision and its execution. I implore you to find the root cause and make a change. As a whole- we are a profitable and functioning company. Can you imagine how much more productive we would be if we were happy?