PetSmart Reviews

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
PetSmart President & CEO Michael Massey
Michael Massey

Pros
  • I also love working with animals so it is awesome (in 161 reviews)

• People love talking about their animals to you and in petcare you learn a lot about animals (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Only means for advancement (including full-time status) is by becoming a manager (in 104 reviews)

• Because of Obama care everyone is part time (in 78 reviews)

2,007 Employee Reviews

1. Featured Review

"Best First Job"

Former Employee - Pet Bather in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Pet Bather in Memphis, TN

I worked at PetSmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Taught me a good work ethic in a very supportive environment. This was my first job and I had been in team settings from participating in sports growing up but this was slightly different. It was a good transition. Co-workers were very friendly, upbeat, and we always helped each other. Management was also great! I loved working here. Only reason I quit was because I wanted to be a veterinarian and had an opportunity to work at a pet hospital. I miss my PetSmart family! Also, if you're looking for a career, this is a really good place. They were offering me a chance to go to the academy to learn to groom and I hadn't even been there a year. They have excellent growth opportunities and great benefits for full-time employees. They also genuinely care about all the pets and pet parents!

Cons

The only cons I have were some of the dogs were disobedient and it was hard to groom/bathe them without them injuring themselves or me. If you take a job in the grooming department, you must be able to lift dogs into the tub and have A LOT of patience!!! Being an animal lover probably wouldn't hurt either :)

Advice to Management

Keep being encouraging, patient, and empathetic to your staff. Keep up the good work :)

2. "Fun"

I worked at PetSmart part-time

Pros

very fun atmosphere and fun people to work with, get to be around animals, work with schedule

Cons

not much room to move up and management focuses on sales a lot.. Also the occasional misbehaviing dog

3. "Pet specialist- doggy day camp worker"

Current Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Naperville, IL

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Honestly I met a lot of great people here who are for the most part fun to work for and actually want to get to know you. Also compared to my last job in retail I'm making more per hour in one year than I did in almost two years at my old job. The company's interview process was also really good and left me with pretty much no questions at the time. Also the job teaches you a lot about how to handle animals and teaches you also leadership skills. You are really well trained while working for them and the best part of training is you get paid for it as well. Over all it's a really good job for a high school to early twenties. Does require high amount of energy and can be very loud at times. Great communication both coming down and going up.

Cons

Dogs can be difficult to handle at times and your hours can be long and tiring but that's about it really.

Advice to Management

Your doing a good job keep it up

5. "Pet Trainer"

Current Employee - Pet Training Instructor
    Current Employee - Pet Training Instructor

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Professional, free training for those to not versed in dog behavior -Flexibility in work schedule -Decent pay and okay benefits -Every work day is different and exciting.

Cons

-Amount of hours a trainer gets, so may need to work as something else (cashier, petcare, etc.) -Clients can sometimes be tough to train because they come in with a know-it-all attitude.

Advice to Management

None

6. "Cashier"

Former Employee - Cashier in Tunnel Hill, GA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Tunnel Hill, GA

I worked at PetSmart (Less than a year)

Pros

The store manager was great to work with. It is a good place to work if you are still attending school.

Cons

There is a lot of drama. Customers tend to get very upset when certain things could not be returned.

7. "Great company"

I worked at PetSmart (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company. Great people. Love the pets

Cons

Lots of changes and little payroll

Advice to Management

RVPs who listen

8. "If you are an animal lover, petsmart is the perfect place for you."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to interact with puppies and pet parents with all kinds of animals each time you work and learn new things from other associates and hear entertaining pet stories from customers as well. It is also enjoyable to see the regular customers and watch their puppies grow up.

Cons

I always thought the worst part was working at petsmart with Banfield pet hospitals and dealing with a customer who had to put down his/her cat/dog that day. I had a hard time trying to hold it together myself at the register and not start crying too listening to their story. I never knew what I could say to make them feel better.

Advice to Management

I wish the associates who were promoted to management would remember they were just recently once associates too and not suddenly belittle us or interact like they were better than the rest of us. I have seen this happen twice now to associates who were promoted to managers and it is sad that they forget and let power/greed take over. I like management who treats us equally or helps us face or get carts when they have extra time rather than giving orders they make me feel more like part of a team.

9. "Pet care associate"

Current Employee - Pet Care Specialist/Cashier in Warner Robins, GA
    Current Employee - Pet Care Specialist/Cashier in Warner Robins, GA

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Promotes teamwork and work ethics among its associates. Everyone gets along well with customers. Great working environment

Cons

Actually losing pets is really sad and depressing and sometimes the managers can be a little stressful.

Advice to Management

Take a minute to understand that we are a team and are in this together even though we work under your supervision.

10. "Overall a good company. Receive regular raises and lots of room for expansion."

Current Employee - Lead Associate
    Current Employee - Lead Associate

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The raises are great. The pay overall is better then most. My managers are fantastic. You learn A LOT! It's great getting to know regular customers and also meeting their pets so you know exactly what they need when they come in.

Cons

Management needs to work on communication. Managers are great to associates but the multiple managers in 1 store do not communicate how they should. Also you pretty much do the same thing everyday. It gets old quickly. Customers are mostly rude.

Advice to Management

Work on communication! Don't expect so much from stores in 1 day when it's our super busy day like Saturday's. Like setting up new end caps or restocking on a Saturday. There's just no way.

11. "Treats Employees Well"

Current Employee - Pet Care Associate
    Current Employee - Pet Care Associate

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Always get break (no excuses), treated with respect, valued

Cons

Management hierarchy a little messy, also live animals should not be sold as they come from terrible vendors and it is always a fight trying to get the managers to take them to the vet when they are sick (and they are often sick)

Showing 2,007 of 2,020 reviews