PetSmart Reviews | Glassdoor

Michael Massey

3,088 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • It is extremely difficult to secure a full time position (in 163 reviews)

• The fact that everyone is hired in PART TIME like no I need more than 30 hours a week for rent (in 115 reviews)

"Good Job if You Have the Passion"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-So many animals!!
    -Company is doing some pretty good things
    -Many options within the company--move up or change position
    -15% discount for employees
    -Lots of opportunities to learn more about animals

Cons

-Base pay is pretty low for all the sh*t you deal with (literally)
    -Work environment completely dependent on management and coworkers
    -Customers can be RUDE.
    -Have to see a lot of mistreated animals
    -Company focuses on many different goals and it gets very overwhelming and makes it difficult to be genuine

Advice to Management

The focus on email capture AND conversion is a bit much. It's getting pretty difficult to care about customers when I'm in fear of getting written up for not capturing enough emails. I'd rather see more focus on customer care because that seems to get more returning customers than coupons.

2. "Pet Training Instructor III"

Former Employee - Pet Training Instructor III in Simi Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Pet Training Instructor III in Simi Valley, CA

I worked at PetSmart part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed my time instructing classes, roaming the aisles to help "pet parents" find the products they needed. As a training instructor (who went through PS's training program but also had many years' experience prior), I was largely the top source & go-to for other associates in the store regarding training equipment, behavioral issues, even cat problems. It's a great feeling knowing you've had a hand in helping a pet become the best version of their self & hopefully have their best chance at staying in their current & forever home.

As for pay, the base sakary could always be better, but commission is the meat of our paycheck. Know your customers, learn your products, have a canine "assistant" wandering the store with you to work on behaviors as you go about the store...Everything helps. There can be slower times of the year, but It's up to us to get the sales in.

Cons

Other associates not knowing much beyond the very basic of basics, sometimes giving misinformation or being unable to help with class signups in the trainers' absence.

Advice to Management

It would be great to see some type of continued education that happens periodically for associates, possibly with incentives -whether a corporate training, a series of in-store classes (possibly by the trainer, if their background is diversifued enough). As a customer, the POS system is rather uncomfortable, having to now state our phone numbers aloud in order to obtain store discounts. The prior system, where we coukd enter everything in the same place as our card information, was much easier & felt much less invasive.

3. "Cashier - Boise, ID"

I worked at PetSmart part-time

Pros

Fun environment, great co-workers, flexible schedule

Cons

Sometimes understaffed, not enough registers, turnover

"Assistant store leader"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Leader
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Leader

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Getting to work with animals and other animal lovers. 15% regular discount and biannual 30% off discount. Various rotating discounts on merchandise. Benefits are decent. Overall for retail it has been one of the more enjoyable jobs I have had. I started out doing pricing, cashiering, dog bathing, etc and now I am an Assistant store leader, so I would say upward movement is decent enough.

Cons

There at time seems to be a disconnect between corporate and store level. They have a tendency to roll out new things with out fully testing/planning for them. Sometimes customers treat you like you're an idiot.

Advice to Management

Take time to realize that improperly planned projects makes the stores and the company look bad in the eyes of the consumer.

"Customer Engagement Leader"

I worked at PetSmart full-time

Pros

PetSmart is a company that lets you grow.

Cons

Not enough employees for different jobs

Advice to Management

Hiring more workers

"Change of values"

Former Employee - Bather in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Bather in Reno, NV

I worked at PetSmart part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Our store had incredible management: welcoming, helpful, and generally good, hard-working people who genuinely love animals and want to do good things.
    I worked in the grooming salon and although it's a very physically demanding job and customers can occasionally be an absolute nightmare, I actually really enjoyed it. It's hard to complain about working with dogs.

Cons

I worked here for about two and a half years. As time went on it felt like the company got more and more greedy and started putting more importance on money than the welfare/safety of the employees or the animals. In 2014 groomers we're doing more or less 4 dogs a day. 5 if they were small/easy. Today they are expect to do 7. Each dog takes about three hours. All employees in the salon regularly clocked out for lunches but worked through them. If you didn't take a lunch you were lectured because of the law, but if you Did take it you were lectured because you have dogs to do and you can't just be walking out for 30 minutes when it's so busy (no one took 15's... lol what a joke idea)
    There was more pressure to get dogs done quickly rather than safely and with a quality job done. Groomers/bathers were constantly at each other's throats because everyone was miserable. It went from a difficult but rewarding job to an outright nightmare. I go and visit occasionally now even though my dog passed and everyone from managers to bathers seems miserable and at wit's end. It is not the same environment that made me love the store when I was in my first year or so.

Advice to Management

Remember that the welfare of the animals and the employees is actually more important than the CEOs pockets.

7. "Store manager"

I have been working at PetSmart full-time

Pros

The core values. Purpose based retailer. Good pay.

Cons

Currently in a place trying to redefine its business structure.

Advice to Management

Consistent communicated direction.

8. "Seasonal Associate"

I worked at PetSmart part-time

Pros

Friendly Coworkers and easy work

Cons

Customers in retail can be difficult

9. "Cashier"

I worked at PetSmart part-time

Pros

Loved working with pet parents. Learned more about animals which I love.

Cons

Cleaning up dog poop sucks

Advice to Management

Always have at least two cashiers at all times

10. "Assistant Store Leader"

I have been working at PetSmart full-time

Pros

Great environment, company is very stable.

Cons

Name tags, coupon issues, inefficient with pricing.

Showing 3,088 of 3,111 reviews