PetSmart Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
PetSmart CEO J.K. Symancyk
J.K. Symancyk

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Working with animals and with people who love animals" (in 336 reviews)

• "Good customer service experience, you learn a lot while working there" (in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • "full time hours despite only being considered part time" (in 203 reviews)

• "not that many hours as part time" (in 157 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"AWEsome!"

Pros

The culture is incredible! It’s positive, encouraging and passionate. Successes are celebrated and failures are supported. Respect and trust are cornerstones of #LifeAtPetSmart. The campus amenities are amazing and I am proud to work for an organization that cares about its pet parents and associates.

Cons

So much about this company is just AWEsome! I would love to see more teams embrace the work from home movement for a day or two each week when possible.

Advice to Management

Continue to love your people and pet parents out loud!

Jan 14, 2019 – Employer Branding

Thank you so much for the review! We appreciate you taking the time. We are steadfast in our commitment to pets, pet parents and associates, so feedback like this is incredibly helpful and... More

2. "I absolutely love it"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Lansing, MI

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team! Great customers! All the knowledge of animals you gain is rewarding.

Cons

Part time hours. Sometimes short staffed.

Advice to Management

Keep being great!!

"Management makes a difference!"

Current Employee - Customer Engagement Leader/Petcare Manager
    Current Employee - Customer Engagement Leader/Petcare Manager

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love getting to expand my knowledge and use it everyday to help pet parents. The customers are usually very upbeat and friendly. The company as a whole really cares about the employees, customers and pets. I never feel like I have a strict budget for providing proper care for our pets. They are very well taken care of in my store. Fun atmosphere and our team is like family. Bonuses are really good if you work at a high performing store.

Cons

There’s not enough management for store leaders. They can honestly treat associates however they want and can basically get away with whatever they want. It really makes a huge difference going from a wonderful, caring manager, to one who only cares about the numbers and will push anyone out of the way to achieve them. There’s also not enough hours given to staff the store appropriately and allow things to actually get done the way they are meant to be done. There’s constant pressure to get more and more done with no extra help. New procedures will be pushed out that are supposed to “save time” but they never actually do but hours are cut anyways. Health insurance is ridiculously expensive but has fairly decent coverage.

Advice to Management

Check up more on store leaders. You really can’t tell anything about how the store is being ran by visiting once a month and just keeping up with the scorecard metrics. District managers need to spend more time talking to associates WITHOUT the store leader standing beside them so they can get honest feedback about what’s going on. There’s more to a successful store than just the numbers. Store leaders should be successfuly trained and held accountable to live by the company standards and treat associates how they should be treated.

4. "Pet Care Associate"

Former Employee - Pet Care Associate in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Pet Care Associate in Austin, TX

I worked at PetSmart part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good training, good employee benefits

Cons

If you’re part-time it’s very hard to be moved to full-time

Advice to Management

N/a

5. "Fortune 500 Company in need of a leadership bootcamp"

Current Employee - Customer Engagement Leader in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Engagement Leader in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Busy environment, opportunity for quarterly bonuses, never the same day twice.

Cons

Often low morale, leaders have had previous to no prior leadership training, the leaders are not required (or taught) to be skilled at managing people when that is a big aspect of the job, need more training to teach our cashiers to be skilled sales people as that is also not a priority although the district leaders expect high sales

Advice to Management

Take initiative to self-improve, the morale and energy will follow

"The Company truly cares about their employees"

Current Employee - Associate Lead With Keys
    Current Employee - Associate Lead With Keys

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

They do a lot of internal hiring so you have the change to move up within the retail part of the company. They have stores all over the US so you are able to move around to your pleasing. They give out great discounts for employees frequently and they offer a great tuition assistance program.

Cons

Sometimes when you work at a smaller or "micro" store, HQ does not pay attention to you or your concerns. Our store has gone 6+ months without a store leader and a lot of things are going down hill because of it.

Advice to Management

Make sure your district leaders are actually doing their job and not sweeping things under the rug.

Feb 14, 2019 – Social Media Community Manager

Thank you so much for the review! We always appreciate hearing from our associates. We certainly pride ourselves on our development opportunities, so it's great you're seeing that. Please know you... More

7. "Good management"

Former Employee - Cashier in Brandon, FL
    Former Employee - Cashier in Brandon, FL

I worked at PetSmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

They back you up, always helpful

Cons

Was too warm in the store

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

8. "Good company"

I have been working at PetSmart full-time

Pros

Benefits, animals, people, discounts, and locations

Cons

Retail working nights and weekends.

Feb 11, 2019 – Social Media Community Manager

Thank you for the review! That is so great to hear that you are enjoying life at PetSmart! I'm thrilled you like the benefits, perks and pets. We love the animals too! Thank you, again, for sharing!... More

"Working with PetSmart"

Former Employee - Customer Engagement Leader/Pet Care Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Engagement Leader/Pet Care Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at PetSmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company really cares about its employees, and works hard to ensure good customer to employee relationships. They want customers to trust their employees.

Cons

Leadership is unbalanced, and as a result of this issue, you will often find that the rate of growth within the company is unbalanced in stores where they don't have leadership who care about what they sell, or about their subordinates. Great growth for very few, but experience and know how are not enough to boost you forward.

It is very hard to work with management for big things, like consistent scheduling. If you have a family, unless you are an assistant manager or store lead, don't expect to see them often.

Advice to Management

Do as much as you tell people to do. Encourage top leads to be more involved and to sit down less. Everyone wants to sit. Not everyone has that privelage.

Feb 4, 2019 – Social Media Community Manager

Thank you for your feedback! While it’s wonderful to hear you enjoyed the relationship between fellow associates and pet parents, I’m sorry you didn’t feel supported. We’d love to understand your... More

10. "Corp going downhill"

Former Employee - Customer Engagement Leader in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Engagement Leader in Austin, TX

I worked at PetSmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked for petsmart for over 5 years and found these pros true even after the company was bought and began to go downhill. I worked as every position from petcare to CEL, MIL and assisted filling in for ASL at times.

Local management is supportive and respectful
    At my stores animal care was a high priority
    Easy to love up in the company

Cons

High turnover
    Corporate constantly changes policies and standard practices
    Low pay even for top positions at high grossing stores
    Understaffed
    Older .ddle and upper management tend to be sexists

Advice to Management

Focus on quality over quantity work. Managers and staff are icer worked and underpaid with consetlntly changing expectations.