PetSmart Reviews

Updated May 15, 2021

3.3
PetSmart CEO J.K. Symancyk
J.K. Symancyk
Pros
  • "Working with animals is fun, schedule is flexible(in 456 reviews)

• "Fantastic work for a college kid with a future in animal work(in 187 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Poor management that did not care for the animals' safety as much as the bottom line(in 469 reviews)

• "Prone to dealing with misbehaving dogs(in 286 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of PetSmart and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Featured Review

Love petsmart

Mar 29, 2021 - Reservations Agent
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits Great environment Pets at work

Cons

Everything is quite nice here.

PetSmart Response

Associate Employment Brand Manager

We're happy to hear you enjoy your life at PetSmart! Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee

Good

May 12, 2021 - Assistant Store Leader in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good , fun , growth

Cons

Promotion takes a long time

3. 2.0
      Former Employee

Fun, If You Don't Mind Stress and Dead Animals (Great Ground-Level People, Though)

May 6, 2021 - Student in Baton Rouge, LA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay compared to many similar and pop culture retailers, flexibility, animal-loving staff, fun daily tasks for those who love to care for animals, early potential to move up for those with the drive and knowledge base. EXTREMELY helpful associate assistance programs. They helped me rebuild after I lost everything in Hurricane Laura. Huge thanks to the PAAF people.

Cons

•Not many hours available. •Corporate policies are a sham; corporate office (NOT store managers) will force you to sell animals to unsafe conditions against policy. •Training and animal education SEVERELY lacking. You are ON YOUR OWN. •Not enough pay to deal with the way freight and warehouse treat the animals/DOAs and illnesses. No shade to warehouse and freight, as I'm sure their job is awful. ⚠️⚠️⚠️Recently the stores have been more and more understaffed. Never was a problem until COVID showed them they could fleece the workers. Expect to be OVERWORKED and scheduled for unwanted overtime. You may be asked (read as: required) to take care of things that are far beyond your pay grade and job description, things which you are not certified to do.

3 people found this review helpful
    4. 4.0

For The Love of Animals

Apr 14, 2021 - Customer Service Specialist
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great environment, caring and kind management, overall fun job, more than minimum wage

Cons

No financial stability. Full time not offered outside of management positions, management positions held by staff veterans so no advancement opportunities, 6 month period evaluations include a pat on the back and no raise,

2 people found this review helpful
    5. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Unfortunately the negative would outweigh the positive

Apr 22, 2021 - Petsmart PetsHotel Associate in Columbus, OH
      Business Outlook

Pros

Dogs and cats The friends I made Employee discount Bringing my dog for camp My specific hoteleader

Cons

Constantly changing schedule Terrible pay (was making less after 5 years of employment than someone just hired in core) Made to wear a mask in camp, in an enclosed room, COMPLETELY alone with the dogs......while customers weren’t enforced to wear one I felt like the manager of the store was targeting me The emotional strain of caring for dogs/cats Some would work holidays, some didn’t Unable to control heating/AC locally, so it would get very hot in the summer Little to no air flow making the heat and humidity worse in the hotel No signs on showcase room telling people...not to take pictures (made me extremely uncomfortable), not to touch/knock on glass because it can be dangerous for the dogs, and that the dogs are not for sale or up for adoption Schedule would come out right before the week where it starts, making it almost impossible to make plans and appointments without doing it at least 2 weeks in advance Many days of being under staffed due to last minute reservations and walk ins that we were told not to turn away Terrible communication between the hotel/store/grooming

3 people found this review helpful
    6. 3.0
      Current Employee

Occasionally the best, but not worth the bs

May 6, 2021 - Petcare Specialist in Midlothian, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

supportive staff to help you move up, great coworkers, handling animals (!) and getting to meet similarly minded pet lovers! So much cool learning on the job. Also it is just so worth it when you make a polite kid's day by getting them the pet they have been begging for :)

Cons

oh my god the customers. You can go into your shift with a great attitude and then its ruined by hearing of/seeing animal abuse, or a 'pet parent' (yep) having a tantrum because you won't sell them an animal they clearly don't intend on properly taking care of. Its heartbreaking to see how the public treats their pets. As well as some of the nature of taking care of pet store pets: sickness, death, suffering, and a lot of the times just knowing a pet won't make it overnight. That also ties into the fact that at the end of the day, Petsmart is a corporation. We here on the sales floor will want proper care for a pet over selling the wrong products just to build a basket any day. But Petsmart does not care. We sell soooo many outdated or some even unsafe products because as long as uneducated customers come in and buy it, it'll keep being restocked. Overall, pretty mentally taxing.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Training while working with management

Apr 25, 2021 - PetSmart Manager/Pet Trainer
      Business Outlook

Pros

I get to set my own schedule for pet training, and I work the same hours every weekend as an assistant manager. Managers are very responsible and understanding that this job is a second job for me, and I do work 40-45 hours every week full-time.

Cons

Personally, I don’t think most employees are all that crazy about me since they never really see me working manager duties (I work in the office when I do), and so they see just some guy showed up one day and started giving directions and instruction. They also don’t like that I keep them working the entire time. There is always something to do, don’t pretend to work at my store, I will find something for you to do. As a pet trainer, I work weekend morning and weekday evenings. So spending time with my family is difficult, but I knew that when I applied. It is also difficult to take off as a trainer since my classes have paid for 6 week courses, so I must postpone a week, not two straight weeks, when necessary.

8. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

It's ok

May 4, 2021 - Pet Care Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

It really depends on what your store is because I have heard mixed things. The leadership at my store was very great to work with. They always made sure that the animals were cared for properly. My leaders were really supportive, and let me do my job without any issues.

Cons

The company itself needs a whole rework from the top down. Corporate as a whole makes absolutely no sense to me. My store was one of the best performing ones in the district and we had three people working the store at any given time. There was always one cashier, one pet care, and one manager. Most of the times managers and cashiers overlapped, but pet care almost never did. Corporate never gave our store enough labor hours so pet care was always running around trying to do everything with no time to do it. The job is so so stressful and I wouldn't recommend it unless you're seriously looking for a career working with animals. Pet care is really a job you SHOULD have experience with, but PetSmart has such high turnover it's hard for them to retain the talented people since there's no growth besides becoming a manager that doesn't really care for the pets. There just really needs to be some reworking within corporate PetSmart.

1 person found this review helpful
    9. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

If you love animals, this isn't the job for you

May 10, 2021 - Cashier/Petcare Associate in Denver, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Helping customers care for their animals, caring for animals in our care to the best of our ability

Cons

- Corporate & management prioritizes customer satisfaction over animal care. I was consistently the only Petcare associate scheduled, which meant that I could not do any animal care without being interrupted. Cleanings and health checks had to be rushed as a result. Managers who fought corporate expectations to prioritize animal care were wonderful, and managers who prioritized product sales resulted in more animal deaths on the job. - Limited training. Most of my expertise came from my own research, and expert opinion outright contradicts the information on animal care PetSmart provides - Accessibility - this is not unique to PetSmart, but when I began to experience leg problems, I could never fully heal as we were only allowed to sit during our breaks and lunch. As though standing waiting for customers is really so much less productive than sitting waiting for customers - absurd.

10. 3.0
      Current Employee

Has its flaws but a decent place to work honestly.

May 14, 2021 - Professional Dog Bather in Beaumont, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Starting pay is better than most entry level jobs. Potential to receive tips, most people don't tip bathers but sometimes you get lucky. Opportunity to go to grooming school for free/get paid to go to grooming school and further your career. The manager and assistant managers over the actual store are some of the kindest most understanding people I have ever met. There are a couple encouraging and kind people in the grooming salon also.

Cons

Even though this is anonymous I honestly don't feel comfortable listing the cons. Every work place has it flaws and tbh this one has plenty, as most chains do. But I'd say if you love dogs and enjoy this career path the pros definitely out weight the cons and this would be a great place to begin your grooming career.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 5,959 Reviews