Pythian Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 27, 2019

3.6
Pythian CEO Keith Millar
Keith Millar
Pros
  • "Work from home option makes work life balance easier(in 24 reviews)

• "Remote work and travel opportunities offer flexibility for me as my siblings and I continue to care for our sick parents(in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • "Hard to get 8 hours work each day out of small pool of clients(in 6 reviews)

• "Work with the top 5% is not a reality(in 4 reviews)

"Powerful Pythian!"

Current Employee - Cloud Transformation Sales in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Pythian full-time for less than a year

Pros

* Pythian is by far the best technology services company I have ever worked with, and I have worked with everyone from most of the big Tier 1 and Tier 2 global technology name brands you would definitely know, to supporting 3rd party vendors, and to a hot new start up in Silicon Valley. * Client satisfaction and the client's desired business + technical outcomes are of the highest priority. From what I have... personally witnessed so far, Pythian is consistently doing this better and faster than our competitors. * Pythian technical resources are truly top tier globally. Their level of accumulated knowledge and ability to recall fine details during client calls continues to impress. * The culture internally is positive, transparent, and people are genuinely invested in helping each other with their respective individual career growth goals. I see a future for myself here with our growth trajectory over the next 5+ years. * The employee compensation package is generous and competitive in the market. * Remote work and travel opportunities offer flexibility for me as my siblings and I continue to care for our sick parents. * Learning, questions, and action are all encouraged and rewarded. * Feedback from employees is actually heard and acknowledged by leadership teams, who strive to make logical adjustments to adapt if/where necessary. * The current leadership team is strong, humble, intelligent, and accountable; these are rare traits to find together in today's industry. * All departments across the board deserve a shoutout for executing their jobs at the highest level, and for forming a cohesive company through excellent verbal and written communications.

Cons

* Although no company is "perfect" and I would challenge anyone to find a company today that truly is, Pythian objectively does not have many Cons to mention. * Brand awareness and presence could be increased in a certain high-potential geography of the United States. Leadership seems to be actively working on this. * This rarely happens: remote workers can face a double-edged sword sometimes, as it can be more... efficient to find the correct person in their office for a quick face-to-face chat about a critical client need than it is to email, text, or call. * Training could be more personalized and/or standardized, as people tend to learn best leveraging the individual methods that are best for them to learn.

Advice to Management

* Keep adapting and moving forward. The future looks very bright! * If deemed appropriate, consider installing a Quality Assurance team member to listen in on sales and technical calls. There are untapped insights here waiting to be discovered and best practices shared.

Pythian2019-10-16

"Micro management and no freedom at work"

Former Employee - Database Administrator in New York, NY

I worked at Pythian full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is a Global team Options to Work remotely Flexible hours are provided

Cons

The company do the micromanagement, monitor every single minutes and every single work/post , do not focus on customer. Company is losing business due to Cloud and Database as service Use 10-20 years old technology for database monitoring and ticketing No-one has any voice for improvement and any suggestions. Work as head down and put tape on mouse, work as a slave.

Advice to Management

Traditional Database administration is slowly dying due to cloud, automation and database as service from AWS, Google and Microsoft. Develop some product and provide better working environment. The company is doing business in Read sea. The process and NonNon-techicalTechnical Management people are too much overhead for the company.

Pythian2019-10-13

"Its been ok"

Former Employee - Big Data Architect in Remote, OR

I worked at Pythian full-time for more than a year

Pros

401k match, travel allowance, training

Cons

It's been back to back and stressful. Leadership with no clarity

Pythian2019-03-04

"Work life balance is tough"

Former Employee - Senior Database Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Pythian full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you could survive the tough non stop 30 hours on call. You can deal any issues in your following career.

Cons

No work balance at all. Give you a real on call experience on 2015: I was scheduled to take on call at Friday 1100pm. And was supposed to pass to another on call DBA who is in South America at Saturday 1100pm. However, this guy didn't pickup. After called him many times I escalate to my manager. The manager first response was: you need continue on call until I would find your backup. Here's the important... culture of this company, they really care less about the remote DBA. They charge client $250 per hour. So it's critical you were able to delivery the hours billable hours. This is the most selfish company culture I've ever experienced. My neck was hurt during those two years on call life.

Pythian2019-01-14

"Pythian - A company with a purpose"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Pythian full-time for less than a year

Pros

I feel very fortunate to have found this company. I work with a very smart and talented group of individuals whose focus is on the best outcome for our customers. The teams I have engaged with are extremely helpful and supportive and will always make time to help you. Visionary President/CEO and strong executive management team; leader in their field; investing in their employees; key partner with many of the... leading cloud technology companies; great managers and co workers. Exciting time to join.

Cons

At this time I haven't run into any but I feel comfortable knowing I could discuss the situation internally with my manager.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in and hire the best people; stay the course.

Pythian2018-03-28
  6. "Best Job, Hands Down!"

Current Employee - Managing Director US East in Miami, FL

I have been working at Pythian full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I am now part of that small but lucky group of folks who can wake up and say..."I truly love what I do for a living." If you want... **to work with some of the smartest people in the world **to work remotely **to live anywhere in the world you want **to have the best work/life balance you have ever experienced **to be challenged daily to constantly be on your A game **to be careful what you ask for because... the answer is always YES **to be able to seriously influence the direction of a company daily through your own actions Then Pythian is for you.

Cons

If you don't want..... **to work really hard and be held accountable **to work on different cool projects daily **to have to wear multiple hats at times **to overcome challenges just like every other company in the world has.... Then Pythian is not for you. And thats ok too.

Advice to Management

Thank you.

Pythian2018-03-06
  7. "I had a great experience (Big Data / Transformation Team)"

Former Employee - Big Data Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Pythian full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Huge learning experience Impressive client roster Amazing group of experts Company is great at continuing education/training opportunities. Encouraged/expected to be domain experts Tons of exposure to cutting edge technologies Overall, the company is striving to be at the forefront of Innovation / Technology

Cons

Engineering work is great, but hard to move up in org without being onsite (though being onsite is encouraged). Normal challenges that come with remote work.

Advice to Management

Despite a long and enjoyable career, encountered HR static upon departure that sullied my great experience there a bit (sudden, impersonal cutoff of access to emails etc earlier than expected). Overall no big deal and appreciate the experience!

Pythian2018-01-31

"CSM"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Pythian full-time for less than a year

Pros

--Healthy work environment/culture --plenty of opportunities to grow ---latest on technology ---your voice is heard --I feel empowered

Cons

---submitting work details for 8 hours a day

Advice to Management

To be easy on hour management

Pythian2017-04-04

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Pythian full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Strong leadership. The most transparent company that I have ever worked with. Client focused Everyone has an attitude of accountability. A real feeling of caring for the employees.

Cons

Fast growth causing organizational stress. Top technical staff getting over worked.

Advice to Management

Revamp structure of org to reflect a larger company. Some folks are in roles becasue they have been there a long time; not because they are the best fit for the role.

Pythian2015-11-19
  10. "QA"

Analyst in Ott Town, PA

I worked at Pythian for more than a year

Pros

Good company , innovative thinking, freedom of speech and ideas to bring to table

Cons

Nothing best company -- try to hire more people in automation

Advice to Management

Should expand more .geographically

Pythian2015-11-08