Safeco Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Safeco President Tyler Asher
Tyler Asher
1 Rating

Pros
  • Great People and Flexible work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Good benefits and salary structure (in 19 reviews)

Cons

1. "A Great company to represent"

Current Employee - Independent Agent in Logan, OH
    Current Employee - Independent Agent in Logan, OH

I have been working at Safeco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent support for agents with great training on new rates and products

Cons

None that I can think of

Advice to Management

You guys treat agents better than any company I've ever worked for!

2. "Richardson Texas - USCM BI - Bad Management"

Current Employee - Claims Resolution Specialist III in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Claims Resolution Specialist III in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Safeco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

wear jeans a lot, free food, claims load not heavy, opportunities for promotions, good newer managers (s and w. you will know who they are once you get hired they are the only relatable managers).

Cons

- my manager was power-hungry and it it affected his ability to lead and teach on our team. senior management thinks he is great but there is a lack of integrity clearly with him. very manipulative to get what he wants. worried more about making the team something else than it is.
    - there are two newer managers, with around 1 year of experience, and they know more than the other 8 managers combined. they relate to the adjusters better than every other manager and know their stuff. they make being in the office enjoyable.
    - i moved roles to a different department in a lateral move and was never congratulated
    - people should be promoted sooner
    - new employees with less experience start out making more money than experienced employees

Advice to Management

To senior management - actually talk to us. Don't listen to what managers say we are saying, actually come and talk to us on the floor.

To managers, do your jobs - no more 3 hour lunches, no more FTO all the time, no more ignoring escalations, no more ignoring office relationships.

3. "Claims adjuster"

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Orlando, FL

I worked at Safeco full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None truthfully. Safeco makes you think you made the right decision for about a week. Then reality hits and they dump claims in your lap without knowing their processes and with management being so inexperienced they can't help. It's a true set up for failure in all facets of the company.

Cons

Very high turnover! Inexperienced management staff who places all responsibility on adjusters. No leadership which results in high turnover. It's about who you know unfortunately and management roles should be based on merit. Safeco has a long way to go.

Advice to Management

Find a new job outside of management. Put some time on a desk and take some leadership classes and then try management.

5. "Great people!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Safeco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Loved my co-workers! Interesting work, but don't always have the best tools for the job. Benefits are great, thanks to Liberty Mutual.

Cons

Also thanks to Liberty, some of the more interesting/prominent work, as far as the corporate office goes (not field work) seems to regularly move from Seattle to Boston.

Advice to Management

Help Safeco and Seattle feel they are important to the overall business.

"Not a Fair Deal"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Liberty Lake, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Liberty Lake, WA

I worked at Safeco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work hours, potlucks, company lunches, some benefits are very good (not medical though), 401K

Cons

For all the talk about Diversity and appreciation of employees, I just don't see this. There is a lot of unfairness by management. If you know someone you will get extra help when you are a newbie. The standards for conduct are different for men. If a guy has a problem with temperament on the phones it is basically ignored and they can still be selected for a nomination as "CSR of the Month". If you are older you will likely be what I call a "filler" employee, with little chance of moving to a different department. Younger workers are always elevated higher than older workers. Very discriminating company but they hide behind constant banners of "diversity". Call after call with no let up, while a co-worker on a different project has 1/4 the number of calls and spends much of day playing on iphone. If you fit the right profile at this company you will likely flourish. Pay raises are a huge let down, and it all depends on what your manager thinks about you. If you are not being invited to be on various projects, then its a sign you are not of the "chosen". Bottom line, I would not apply at this company unless you have connections with other people there, are 45 and under, or are a male.

Advice to Management

Stop playing favorites. Those that you don't care about as much feel it. Be more fair. You hurt the team and the company when you ignore people. Employees will work best when they genuinely feel they are an instrumental part of the organization AND when the manager treats each team member with the SAME standards.

"Safeco Inside Property Adjuster What Are They Doing To Us!!"

Current Employee - Inside Property Claims Adjuster in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Inside Property Claims Adjuster in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Safeco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1. Health or Eye Benefits
    2. Staff
    3. Helping People/Customers
    4. Development Opportunities
    5. Hours
    6. Flexible schedules
    7. Fun and Friendly environment

Cons

1. Job is "changing" is a negative way
    - more difficult claims to manage from the inside
    - Becoming more of a process than an adjuster
    - Our work flows/Standards are becoming way to involved and require more time.
    - Expectations on claim volume is becoming overwhelming while maintaining at perfect customer service scores.
    2. Management
    - They are becoming way to specific of the quality on the claim, and are loosing the sight of Safeco common purpose.
    - They are micromanaging files
    - The management team is not inline and inconsistency down the board.
    - They do not provide guidance to success or make you feel wanted.
    Location
    - Building is old and dirty
    - They do not vacuum the floors but once a month and do not clean the work areas.
    - Ice machines are always broke

Advice to Management

Lets go back to basics? How about lets do what's right and follow are company quality standards.... We need to help our customer protect what they value most and not failing a QIO (quality of the file) because I didn't add "Joe the Plumper" to the file..

8. "Subrogation Resolution Representative"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fenton, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fenton, MO

I have been working at Safeco (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work hours and benefits are appealing.

Cons

Not much growth and development opportunities within the company.

9. "Sr. Business Systems Analyst"

Current Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Safeco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Team is smart and a pleasure to work with.
    Management is supportive and caring.
    Work is engaging and challenging.

Cons

It's a large company, so communication can always be difficult or lacking from the top down.

Advice to Management

Continue to improve communication from the top down to ensure all players receive the right information.

"Very much the stereotype of insurance"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Safeco (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great work-life balance if you remember to use it, very stable - especially if you work for the Boston office. Flexible working hours/locations also great - just work it out with your manager. Great assistance with education and learning opportunities.

Cons

They're shrinking benefits and everything is pretty steeped in tradition. As you'd expect from insurance, the company is risk adverse so innovation is behind the times compared to other large companies like Google or Microsoft.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees more. Many of the recent changes have negatively impacted my time at work while 'standardizing'. This makes me feel more like a replaceable part than a valued employee. Further, the almost disregard to others outside the Boston home office has made many question their long-term job security if we aren't in Boston.

11. "Sr. Worker's Comp Rep"

Former Employee - Senior Claims Representative in Aliso Viejo, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Claims Representative in Aliso Viejo, CA

I worked at Safeco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Mostly friendly atmosphere. I worked at other insurance companies and I would say just an average place to work.

Cons

WC department was managed by people who had no clue about WC.