Safeco Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Safeco President Tyler Asher
Tyler Asher

Pros
  • Great People and Flexible work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Pays well and provides good benefits (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Liberty Mutual slowly shutting down Safeco (in 27 reviews)

• High stress environment with poor home/work life balance (in 13 reviews)

1. "Claims Officer"

I worked at Safeco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ability to shape the future, direct access to President and CEO, many opportunities for those who wanted to excel

Cons

Changes to hubs caused disruption from time to time, loss of Mike McG to XL as was a great leader and visionary

2. "Subrogation Resolution Representative"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fenton, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fenton, MO

I have been working at Safeco (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work hours and benefits are appealing.

Cons

Not much growth and development opportunities within the company.

"Safeco Inside Property Adjuster What Are They Doing To Us!!"

Current Employee - Inside Property Claims Adjuster in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Inside Property Claims Adjuster in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Safeco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1. Health or Eye Benefits
    2. Staff
    3. Helping People/Customers
    4. Development Opportunities
    5. Hours
    6. Flexible schedules
    7. Fun and Friendly environment

Cons

1. Job is "changing" is a negative way
    - more difficult claims to manage from the inside
    - Becoming more of a process than an adjuster
    - Our work flows/Standards are becoming way to involved and require more time.
    - Expectations on claim volume is becoming overwhelming while maintaining at perfect customer service scores.
    2. Management
    - They are becoming way to specific of the quality on the claim, and are loosing the sight of Safeco common purpose.
    - They are micromanaging files
    - The management team is not inline and inconsistency down the board.
    - They do not provide guidance to success or make you feel wanted.
    Location
    - Building is old and dirty
    - They do not vacuum the floors but once a month and do not clean the work areas.
    - Ice machines are always broke

Advice to Management

Lets go back to basics? How about lets do what's right and follow are company quality standards.... We need to help our customer protect what they value most and not failing a QIO (quality of the file) because I didn't add "Joe the Plumper" to the file..

5. "Claims Specialist"

Pros

Good benefits and salary structure.

Cons

Heavy workload that was above what it should be.

6. "Underwriter"

I worked at Safeco full-time

Pros

Great People and Flexible work/life balance

Cons

Downsizing- let go a lot of good people

Advice to Management

Place more value on tenured employees

7. "Sr. Business Systems Analyst"

Current Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Safeco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Team is smart and a pleasure to work with.
    Management is supportive and caring.
    Work is engaging and challenging.

Cons

It's a large company, so communication can always be difficult or lacking from the top down.

Advice to Management

Continue to improve communication from the top down to ensure all players receive the right information.

8. "Claims"

I have been working at Safeco full-time

Pros

Cons

You will learn a lot. The training is very good. You will work with a lot of smart people. The expectations for workload is unrealistic. Reports are not accurate. There is backstabbing and infighting between the two brands.

Advice to Management

The highest levels of leadership should learn to treat others well. While change as expected, too much change and you will lose your crew.

9. "Claims"

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Lots of turnover. Sometimes morale

10. "Very much the stereotype of insurance"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Safeco (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great work-life balance if you remember to use it, very stable - especially if you work for the Boston office. Flexible working hours/locations also great - just work it out with your manager. Great assistance with education and learning opportunities.

Cons

They're shrinking benefits and everything is pretty steeped in tradition. As you'd expect from insurance, the company is risk adverse so innovation is behind the times compared to other large companies like Google or Microsoft.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees more. Many of the recent changes have negatively impacted my time at work while 'standardizing'. This makes me feel more like a replaceable part than a valued employee. Further, the almost disregard to others outside the Boston home office has made many question their long-term job security if we aren't in Boston.

"Underwriter"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Safeco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent office location, decent pay, somewhat flexible work schedule, one of the last companies with both a pension AND 401k plan. But, pension likely won't last. They'll take that away too.

Most of the agent partners I worked with were good people. I have lasting relationships with a few of them.

Cons

Direct manager is awful. Absolutely no leadership skills, all he/she does is micromanage. Complete chaos and disorganization most of the time. Never knows answers to any questions we ask. Never prepared for meetings. Extreme favoritism and politics in the office from direct manager. Manager is downright unapproachable and good luck trying to confide in management. Sharing your opinion, even if done in a good and positive manner, is perceived as negative and comes back to bite you on your reviews. So very frustrating. We are promised an open door policy, but its just smoke and mirrors. Cannot trust management as far as you can throw them.

Training program is almost non-existent. Direct peers are responsible for training AND handle their own already impossible workload. What? Whatever happened to a training department?

Layoffs are coming, writing is on the wall, and everyone knows it. Mother Liberty has come in and taken complete control. It is clear they do not value their people and the impression they give is that they are better off without us. We are not an asset, but rather a liability to the company. My impression is they want you to feel disposable. I sure felt that I was.

Complete lack of direction. Seems as though the captain of the ship has no destination. No one seems to know where the company is headed. Even if they do, they definitely don't share with us. It's a mystery. It's my understanding that Nickerson has also left Safeco, which only confirms the uncertainty.

Employees are pitted against each other, resulting in a toxic team environment. Often times, work is where you go to make friends. Not Safeco. If you want to go anywhere in the company, be prepared to step on people to get where you want to go.

Manager conveniently forgets your contributions to short you on your review.

Advice to Management

Value your tenured employees more. Paying tenured employees only slightly more than new employees is infuriating. Be patient with change, employees can't adopt such drastic changes overnight with the extreme workload expected with absolute perfection, and no training on new systems.

Be more realistic. You aren't the only employer on the block. Treat your top performers better, and maybe they'll stay. Then, don't act surprised if they leave.

Give better raises to top performers, 1-2% doesn't cut it.

Listen more, and be attentive. Pay attention to employee's accomplishments and contributions, then reward them for it. Stop downplaying contributions like it's no big deal. Recognize that people are sacrificing time with their families to improve the company's position.