Selective Insurance Reviews

Updated Jul 4, 2020

3.4
Selective Insurance President and CEO John Marchioni
John Marchioni
Pros
  • "work/life balance, good benefits, work from home(in 17 reviews)

• "Though there are the occasional 'busy times,' Selective offers a great work-life balance, with a flexible work from home policy(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  1. "Trainee Position Review"

Current Employee - Underwriting Trainee in Hamilton, NJ

I have been working at Selective Insurance full-time for less than a year

Pros

The trainee position allows you to collaborate with employees who work in all departments of the company. Being at the corporate during the rotation weeks allow trainees to experience what those do in departments such as Flood, Legal, IT, Actuarial, Marketing, our line of businesses, and our business service units. The first few weeks are full of insurance training (coverage week) where trainees are taught the various fundamentals of insurance. The trainees represent many areas of the company and it is great that we are able to build relationships with our co-workers in such a collaborative environment. There is plenty of room for growth in such a great company.

Cons

Our trainees come from various locations among the country and there is a fair share of travel involved during the trainee program. The first two months all trainees are in Branchville, NJ. The trainees then return back to Branchville for one week out of each month for corporate rotations and other training. It does seem that the travel to/from Branchville can become overwhelming for those who have to fly in if they have families or children at home.

April 3, 2020Employee Experience and Employer Branding

Thanks for the feedback about your trainee program experiences! It sounds like it's been a good start for you, and we appreciate the note about travel requirements. We'll let the program administrator know.

2. "Great place to work"

4.0
    Current Employee - Associate Applications Developer in Branchville, NJ

I have been working at Selective Insurance full-time

Pros

Competitive pay and great people

Cons

Not as progressive in terms of dress attire and work from home culture.

July 6, 2020Employee Experience and Employer Branding

We love your review title! Thanks for the suggestions about dress code and flexible working. We're learning more about those things right now with the remote working situation due to COVID-19.

3. "Don't be fooled"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Branchville, NJ

I worked at Selective Insurance full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I can't think of anything except if you're in the core group that management approves of then you're going to be fine here.

Cons

Where to start.. Clicky.. Very Clicky. If you're liked you're fine, if not it won't be long before you're out. They will fire you! I was harassed the manager still has a job and I chose to leave. Story of every woman. Work life balance is awful.. Just awful. You're expected to do the job of 3 other people so it's very tough to leave your desk.. Forget time away, even a day off is a nightmare to return from! They make it seem glamorous but in reality it's probably the most corrupt place. Managers do the mistakes horrible things behind closed doors, trust me.. I was one of them. I heard and saw for myself. The pay seems great until you add the hours worked for it.. Then not so much.

June 12, 2020Employee Experience and Employer Branding

Thank you for sharing your concerns. We take allegations seriously and encourage you to contact our Ethics and Compliance Helpline at 866-299-8412 so we can review further.

"Very disappointed"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Branchville, NJ

I worked at Selective Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The cafe is top notch!

Cons

There are many...read and discover

May 22, 2020Employee Experience and Employer Branding

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We will forward your comments and recommendations to the appropriate parties for their review.

"Don't recommend"

2.0
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Selective Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

the people are awesome to work with. Work\life balance was good. good company for entry level engineers

Cons

Basically everything. Management is an absolute nightmare. they hire employees and treat them like they do not trust them. they design and architecture entire solutions unbeknown to you then come up to you and ask you why it isnt done yet? they are trying to adopt a cloud solution with absolutely no knowledge or training, no real idea of what they are really even doing, constantly trying to hire 3rd party people to assist however, didnt they just hire sr. engineers for that reason? it's completely backwards. they are so adverse to change and modern workplace, it will take them years to go from any kind of on-prem solution to cloud solution yet they act like it can be done overnight. If you are an experienced engineer- do not waste your time here. You will learn almost nothing- you will lose your experience with deploying new technologies and capabilities because Selective is years behind. It is in the middle of no-where so the talent there either has to commute far or try to be remote but the micromanagement is so insane that it may not even work out for you with a remote flex. Everyone here is a 9-5 person, no real passion behind what they are doing. The security team is also a nightmare because they say no to everything, either lack of understanding or lack of trust- either way, why hire employees when you don't trust them? I would stay away from this company. You may grow in position because they need bodies, but you will not grow technically, mentally or any other way that really matters. It is not worth the stress that management will put on you because of their immensely negative management techniques.

April 3, 2020Employee Experience and Employer Branding

We certainly appreciate your kind comments about the people who work at Selective and the ability to find some work/life balance. We've shared your feedback about engineering and management with the appropriate parties. Good luck to you as you move on to new endeavors.

"Great company if you are young and just starting your career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Branchville, NJ

I have been working at Selective Insurance full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

work/life balance, good benefits, work from home

Cons

promotions only come for young workers

March 6, 2020Employee Experience and Employer Branding

Thank you for your review and the advice about development opportunities across the many generations of employees here, which will be shared with the appropriate parties.

7. "Hidden Gem"

Current Employee - Trainee

I have been working at Selective Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great atmosphere and culture. Employees truly care and promotions come from within.

Cons

Location, rural but adds to the hidden gem factor

February 21, 2020Employee Experience and Employer Branding

It's great to see a five-star review featuring our culture. We appreciate your perspective on our Corporate location - and we're glad you can appreciate our "hidden gem!"

8. "Job"

Current Employee - Flood Representative in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Selective Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good people relaxed atmosphere, good friends

Cons

Work late shift Not good pay

January 24, 2020Employee Experience and Employer Branding

We appreciate the 5-star review and your suggestion about flexibility. We'll share the feedback and hope you continue to enjoy your work friends - they can certainly make the harder days a little bit easier.

"stay away"

Former Employee - IT Applications Programmer Senior in Branchville, NJ

I worked at Selective Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

nothing to mention as pros

Cons

My advice to everyone: please stay away from this company. I was hired as a cloud engineer, and I have several stories to give you a sense of how poorly employees are treated. The general themes: nonmanagers are not listened to, and their time is not respected. A key issue with poor employee treatment relates to management. Often I’d find myself making progress on a project, only then to have my work put on hold, and sometimes undone, as project goals changed without any apparent reason. Furthermore, managers who were in my meetings everyday did not acknowledge my presence and acted annoyed whenever I spoke with them, even when I offered cordial greetings such as “How are you?” Management also was inefficient while I worked there. They chose to adopt a cloud system that I immediately noted was inefficient and wasted tons of money. My years of experience at the company and the requests from my manager to train another employee on the team, it seemed, did not make my advice worth listening to, and it took four to six months before management came around to my point of view. How the workload is distributed also causes problems here. Most IT work depends on offshore contractors or is delegated to people on work visas. Those who work within the company are frequently required to work long, hard hours or risk losing their jobs, which is exactly what happened to my roommate when he did not accept slavery-like work demands. For example, an employee accidentally deleted data, and I was tasked with recovering it. However, the cloud environment was poorly designed, so the process of recovering the data was convoluted and time consuming. Still in the process of recovering the data, I was nearly fired by managers who were taking advice from a trainee. During the meeting, I did not feel as though I was given space to defend myself and remained silent. In another instance, I solved an issue in the environment and reported on how I solved it. Needing to catch up on work that had been put off to solve the issue, I blocked off my calendar. This was overridden when someone outside the department, who I told would need to wait until I could fulfill his request, copied my manager on an email to set up an appointment. This caused me to work longer hours and showed a blatant disregard for my time. This kind of occurrence was not uncommon. In summary, I did not feel respected as an employee while I worked here, thanks to managers who would not listen to sound advice, overwork employees, and disregard the time employees put into the job. Again, here is my advice: stay away from this company.

February 14, 2020Employee Experience and Employer Branding

Thank you for taking the time to share specific observations about your experience. Your feedback has been shared with IT Leadership for their review.

"too many egos at the top"

2.0

I worked at Selective Insurance full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Some great people working here that made all the difference. Corporate culture tries for the most part to be inclusive, but much of it is smoke and mirrors.

Cons

Too many egos in the top roles and also those poised to take the reins. If you make a mistake here, you're branded with it and you have it mentioned in your next 5 reviews. No belief in taking risks or failing, it's used against you.

January 23, 2020Employee Experience and Employer Branding

It sounds like you had some positive relationships with your coworkers, and that's nice to read. We'll pass along your points about a stronger approach to inclusion, risk-taking, and recognition.

Found 175 reviews