Softchoice Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Softchoice President and CEO Vince De Palma
Vince De Palma

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "There are many soft perks as well; and the office itself was awesome even before you factor in you can bring your dog to work" (in 27 reviews)

• "Decent work life balance (role dependent though)" (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • "There is little work life balance at this company" (in 31 reviews)

• "In short, the Senior Leadership Team is the problem" (in 17 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Company with a better Culture"

Current Employee - Senior Territory Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Territory Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Softchoice full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Been at Softchoice for 3 plus years and still love coming to work every day. Office is full of high-quality individuals in a great location in Chicago. Lot's of catered breakfasts and lunches, vendor happy-hours, Friday beer carts, volunteering opportunities and Softchoice events out of the office are some great perks, but it's the people that make it. The opportunity to make really good money is there if the work is put in and it's some of the best sales experience you can get.

Cons

There's a lot to learn and soak in and success is not always immediate, but what you can learn in a short period of time outweighs that in my opinion.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring the right people for management positions

2. "Perfect job to service the Small Medium size Businesses"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA

I worked at Softchoice full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Dynamic culture and able to move fast.

Cons

Serving larger clients with international needs become more difficult.

Advice to Management

Focus on core strengths and keep investing in it to serve local markets.

3. "A Decent Entry Level Sales Role"

Former Employee - Territory Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Representative

I worked at Softchoice full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Flexibility to work from home
    -Lots of IT training, work with a bunch of different technology vendors
    -Management will work with you if you want to grow your career (routes include vendor specialists, field sales roles, maybe management)
    -Many opportunities to learn from different tech partners

Cons

-Extremely low pay, not competitive, and incredibly complex commission structure
    -Quick overturn of sales reps, a constant revolving door of territory sales reps
    - Sometimes feel micromanaged

Advice to Management

None

4. "Not a bad place to cut your teeth in the industry but not the best there is"

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Softchoice full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good medical insurance.
    Good place to get started in IT solution sales, unless you get hired somewhere else first.

Cons

Unless you are working at headquarters, in Toronto, then you probably aren't bringing your dog to work or getting any of the perks that others mention that come with working for Softchoice. Softchoice tries to position themselves as an IT solutions provider but, with the exception of a few offices, they don't invest in the technical resources to enable sales to do what is being asked of them. They rely on parachuting technical resources in from other markets for projects or relying on 3rd-party resources, which often prices them out of the projects or if they are lucky enough to win one, it makes the projects such a mess that the projects do not end up being successful ones and do more damage to the customer relationship than good. Softchoice is still good at managing Microsoft agreements, selling software, and selling renewals. Unfortunately, all of those come at pretty low margins, so you have to generate a lot in sales to make any real money. Margins are pretty low on the majority of what they do. Account Executives have the ability to sell higher margin hardware and services but most customers are going to purchase those from a partner who has local delivery resources. Make sure to ask questions about what kinds of technical resources are available to you because all markets are not created equally. Softchoice has partially abandoned quite a few markets but instead of pulling out of those markets altogether, the just choose to leave them there struggling to make it.

Advice to Management

It looks like management has turned over a few times in the few years since I have been gone. Try to hire sales leaders that care about coaching and know how to trust their sales team.

5. "Great Place to Start and Develop a Sales Career"

Former Employee - Business Development in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Business Development in Seattle, WA

I worked at Softchoice full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The resources they invest in your development are substantial. For those looking for an entrance into sales, the company will train you on what you will need to be successful. If you're willing to take the initiative towards next career steps, the development will continue. Those that don't take advantage of the career advancement opportunities tend to burn out, it would be my ongoing recommendation from day 1 to stay laser focused on what you want to do next and express that with your manager.

People are consistently good. Everyone seems genuinely eager to help. Some negative reviews argue it is cliquey and unprofessional but I found many folks I could call friends outside of work. At the end of the day I never encountered anything toxic and am very happy I worked there for as long as I did.

Work life balance is strong. Flexible working arrangements are available, vacation entitlement is generous and I felt able to disconnect when I needed to. Time off was actually time off, whether vacation or outside of working hours.

Cons

Compensation is more than livable but depending on the market you're in, may not be competitive as other salaries in the area. Salaries are relatively uniform across the company (people in low cost of living areas make out very well!). That said those other companies are not looking to hire people new to IT sales, nor offer the same level of training and career development.

Advice to Management

Remain focused on developing the folks you have and continue to have a proud rich culture. Consider cost of living with salaries.

6. "Nothing to write home about"

Current Employee - Outbound Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Outbound Sales Representative

I have been working at Softchoice full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good resources (large company)
    Decent base salary
    Flexibility (depending on your office and manager)
    Have a big name in the IT space
    Some offices are dog friendly

Cons

Lagging in areas compared to other tech companies in terms of benefits and perks (unlimited PTO is popular where I am, free lunches, etc) for example, they had a new Softchoice shirt and if you want it, it’s like $35.
    Reselling in general is not profitable compared to getting the entire revenue of the deal
    While it is growing, the reselling model is becoming obsolete in the IT space so who knows how long that growth is sustainable.
    Lots of internal systems and red tape to get stuff done.

Advice to Management

Fewer meetings would be nice, keep trying to put your employees happiness first.

7. "Awesome people & culture... great place to work"

Former Employee - Territory Sales in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Territory Sales in Chicago, IL

I worked at Softchoice full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very collaborative team and leadership
    Invested in the growth of their people
    Constant workshops and resources being made available

Cons

Management transitions made for tough training period

"Classic Sales Role"

I worked at Softchoice full-time

Pros

Laid back culture, incredible training and reasonable hours.

Cons

Sales centered to the core. When I started, I inherited the majority of my accounts from former employees that have quit or fired due to poor performance. So when I introduced myself to my clients, they were already done with Softchoice and moved to a competitor. Then I was still responsible for hitting my sales numbers for accounts that will never spend another dime with us. Talked to my manager, he helped a little as best he could, but I was simply not set up to succeed where other people inherited great accounts and barely worked to bring in the sales. No complaints, just kind of a bummer hand to be dealt.

"Run"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Softchoice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best part of this job is that I no longer work there

Cons

You will need a translator to understand your commissions. Commission structure changes every year and is pretty horrible.

The environment is horrific. Everyone gets drunk at noon and comes back to work (or doesn't). Some of the worst management I have ever seen in all of my career. Half of them haven't worked anywhere else so they have no respect for anyone who has a different way of approaching business or has a different personality and isn't a "good ole boy."

Most of the engineers have left. I am not sure how they're still in business. They have a horrible reputation in the territory.

If you missed your chance to be in a fraternity in college, this can be your time to shine. Sexual harassment and alcoholism for everyone!

Advice to Management

Learn how to manage. I've never seen a sales company allow managers who are consistently under plan to keep their jobs. Go work somewhere else and get a reality check

Softchoice Response

Dec 20, 2018 – SVP People and Growth

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. What you describe is not at all consistent with the Softchoice that I know – nor is it consistent with the Softchoice employee experience we aim... More

"Inside Account Manager"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Softchoice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Dog friendly office, beer-cart Fridays, opportunities to win free trips from vendors. Great place to start career in IT if you have no experience.

Cons

Difficult to hit quota if you absorb poor accounts, work-life balance is awful, and pay is not competitive to industry standard.

Advice to Management

Increase pay to attract more talent.