Visionworks Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 7, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Peter Bridgman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "You get a free pair of glasses after working there for a certain amount of time" (in 16 reviews)

• "good hours, good benefits, friendly coworkers" (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management is not willing to listen to what their locations truly need" (in 39 reviews)

• "This is unfair based on the ever-increasing sales goals" (in 19 reviews)

1. "All the inside info"

Current Employee - Ews in Wilmington, DE
    Current Employee - Ews in Wilmington, DE

I have been working at Visionworks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

On the job training, flexible schedule, advancement possibilities

Cons

Pay is a few dollars below what is competitive an hour for each position, annual raise is only cents

Advice to Management

To roll out changes one at a time instead of several things at once

"I love my job!"

Current Employee - Retail Supervisor in Strongsville, OH
    Current Employee - Retail Supervisor in Strongsville, OH

I have been working at Visionworks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Such a fabulous place to work! Fantastic benefits, 2 weeks vacation plus 56 hours of PTO as well as paid holidays. Great medical dental and 401k. Excellent training program. Reimbursement for state license fees and continuing education. Our pay is extremely competitive as well. The company prefers to promote from with in and gives you the proper tools to achieve growth. The staff is truely an amazing group of people that I feel blessed to work with. I feel appreciated and listened to by upper management. I feel like a person not just a number. I have worked at this location since 2012. I also have no plans of leaving. I have worked many places in my 20+ years as an optician. This has by far been my favorite!

Cons

I don't really have any cons. There are sales goals that we are expected to meet. I personally have never had an issue attaining my goal. Some weeks are better than others. However if you work hard it is not an issue. If you miss your goal, which happens sometimes. Your job is not threatened. You just make a plan for improvement and decide what you need to do differently to obtain your goal in the future. It's not rocket science. Just do your job and what you are paid for. It's simple really.

Advice to Management

Keep being amazing! Thank you for all you do!

3. "Nice Company"

I have been working at Visionworks full-time

Pros

Company has a new CEO and the direction feels positive

Cons

Stuck on older technologies but might be good if you're wanting to get introduced to newer stuff slowly

Advice to Management

Keep moving

"Third Key"

Current Employee - Third Key
    Current Employee - Third Key

I have been working at Visionworks part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers, management is pretty good. Commission tiers could be a bit better (like previously) but still better than some places. Huge selection of frames to help patients find what they want

Cons

Last minute mandatory meetings. When I request off well in advance and then am told I can be written up for not coming. Store to store systems not integrated making it sometimes difficult to get pt info from other stores.

"Lab Tech"

I worked at Visionworks full-time

Pros

Learn optometry skills. Can grow in company.

Cons

Overworked manager. Infrequent breaks. Little attention given to needs of lab.

6. "Optician"

I worked at Visionworks part-time

Pros

Great people, great pay, great management

Cons

Benefits weren’t as great as I hoped

"General Manager"

Current Employee - General Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - General Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Visionworks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Paid time off, 401k, with a 6% match, decent health dental and vision insurance. Good starting position for optical knowledge and learning optics on a part time basis.

Cons

Short staffing, directors and corporate throwing new policies out on a whim. Low pay compared to competition. Low bonus structure compared to competition. Constantly walking on eggshells now that the new CEO is in place. Working us down to the bone forcing us to work open to close shifts, no work life balance at all. A new hr position was put in place to help with staffing, and they do nothing to help us, and territory director ignores phone calls and doesnt respond when in need.

Advice to Management

Get it together. You will be losing long term good employees left and right if you continue working us down to the bone with no incentives, bonuses, or help with staffing. The territory directors need to be in stores more to actually see what we deal with. A visit once every 6 months and unanswered phone calls from territory directors isnt enough. We as general managers dont have the support we need.

"Ews"

I have been working at Visionworks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free glasses
    Free sunglasses
    Free eye insurance
    Ability to learn sale floor and lab

Cons

Commission pay scale
    Overall pay
    Not enough staffing

Advice to Management

Pay employees for what they are worth not by what you feel they "deserve". Employees really work hard to make profitable margins but only to be slighted.

"Optician"

I have been working at Visionworks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Has a Union to protect your hours

Cons

Managment is the worst. Not enough training

Advice to Management

We are humans not robots. There is life outside of visionworks

10. "Management"

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at Visionworks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Corporate office is usually helpful when needing supplies and marketing support.

Cons

Lower management is overworked and under compensated. Upper management has their own agenda and have been known to play favorites. Upper management does not support lower management in their business. They will reduce your workforce and expect you to provide great customer service with minimal staffing and payroll. Lower management will work open to close shifts in order to reduce payroll and cover their location. Upper management likes to intimidate and does not take constructive feedback. Upper management speak at you and do not listen to the lower management; they will interrupt you and prevent you from speaking.

Advice to Management

Monitor your upper management more closely. Hold them accountable for their unacceptable behavior towards lower management. Lower management are the folks who are really doing all the work; making all the money. The lower management work more than 40 hours per week to make their plan for their own benefit, not the benefit of the upper management. Upper management will tell you what you want to hear, but have no follow through. Upper management cannot manage the amount of lower management they have.