Visionworks Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Visionworks CEO James N. Eisen
James N. Eisen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • You get a free pair of glasses after working there for a certain amount of time (in 15 reviews)

• Fun coworkers and good benefits (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible management upper management is terrible (in 36 reviews)

• Each store doesn't have enough hours to make most of their employees full time, so if part timers want to become (in 17 reviews)

1. "Eyewear specialist"

I worked at Visionworks part-time

Pros

I loved the environment. I was great meeting customers face to face.

Cons

I really have no cons as I loved my job but I was only part-time

2. "Optometrist"

Current Employee - Managing Optometrist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Managing Optometrist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Visionworks full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good work environment, great technology, good locataion

Cons

Open Sundays, Open evenings, Northpark Mall is very busy in holidays season so parking is tight at times

Advice to Management

Keep your best people happy and continue striving to go above and beyond to help your patients.

3. "Good first unionized Full time employment but limited growth options"

Current Employee - Optical Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Optical Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Visionworks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a entry level “optical assistant” your pay starts a few cents over minimum wage, though you are provided with a optical union that provides protection and many other incentives for you. Benefits (health,dental,401k etc.) are available for you and vision coverage is provided with employment (decent benefits). You do learn a lot about the health care field as well as various points in regards to vision care when working with visionworks. You can gain much needed customer service and better relation skills also.

Cons

You are worked to no end as front desk, you may not come home smelling like a grease bucket like most fast food jobs but will need much rest. They under staff one of their most demanding positions that they require with no remorse to handle the majority of the needs for customers/patients who call and come in everyday. The requirements they have for you grows continuously as the company finds more ways to “promote” their business while they care far too little to the health care part of their company. They drive sales not good vision care. The benefits starting seem to be unbelievably great for any person who has never received such in their life times but it only takes less than a year for even the benefits to become less worth it. It has been said by higher paid staff that “optical assistants are the hardest worked employees and the most underpaid ones too”. You want to grow the most you can expand to is a optician or lab tech. So if you don’t invision yourself meddling with, cutting or selling glasses there is no career path with this company.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better and make more opportunities for your staff to grow. Optical assistants aren’t enthusiastic over your new promos when they are too busy over working themselves just to still barely afford to pay their bills.

4. "Eyewear Specialist"

Current Employee - Eyewear Specialist in Brookfield, WI
    Current Employee - Eyewear Specialist in Brookfield, WI

I have been working at Visionworks (More than a year)

Pros

Good management and supportive staff

Cons

Sometimes understaffed and computer application outdated

Advice to Management

Updating computer programs would enable staff to be more productive.

5. "Horrible Atomosphere"

Pros

Commission if you can sell

Cons

-No upward mobility
    -Low Base
    -Overworked and underpaid

6. "Not a bad place, could do better."

I have been working at Visionworks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love the team and doctor I work for. All of them are great at what they do and extremely friendly and competent.

Cons

Corporate only cares about money. They overbook the doctor and the doctor;s staff. Even with only one technician working they expect them to handle a full book (appt every 15 minutes), keep up with the doctor, and do all the administrative work while taking in any walk ins. Retail is usually understaffed, causing long waits and irritating customers so much they decide to walk out.

Advice to Management

LISTEN TO YOUR EMPLOYEES AT THE STORE LEVEL. We work very hard under a lot of pressure. Every store is different, be it because of location, staff, or population, so don't treat every store the same.

7. "Eyewear Specialist"

I have been working at Visionworks part-time

Pros

Great coworkers, commission, free eye exams and glasses each year, dress code is improving, but still isn't very modern

Cons

Overbearing management, Not always willing to work with scheduling

Advice to Management

Stop creating promotions specifically for a single pair and then expecting employees to sell multis at the same rate as before. Reevaluate the commission rates.

8. "My experience has been decent overall. There is a ton of room for improvement though."

Current Employee - Optometric Technician in Snellville, GA
    Current Employee - Optometric Technician in Snellville, GA

I have been working at Visionworks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It has been a learning process and environment for me personally. Asking the doctors questions and watching and learning from every patient has been extremely helpful.

Cons

The company itself is just very disorganized and they do not really care much for their employees. They expect you to go above and beyond then turn around and don’t give you any kind of incentive or appreciation for it.

Advice to Management

Treat every single employee equally and respectfully.

"Too many lay offs"

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Visionworks full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

High paying salary, good vision benefits

Cons

No room for growth, and you never know when your job might be on the line. The company dais they are not down sizing, but off that's the case, why go from 54 territory directors to 31? And yet they are saying there is still room for growth?

Advice to Management

Get to know your managers as individuals and not just as number signs who are disposable at any minute.

10. "Optical Assistant"

Former Employee - Optical Assistant
    Former Employee - Optical Assistant

I worked at Visionworks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked with a lot of fun people. My manager included. I truly cared about them and they for me. I hated leaving them, but couldn't see myself working for that company for the long term.

Cons

Upper management is not willing to listen to what their locations truly need. Nothing matters but the bottom dollar. They insisted on over booking our doctor because it looks good on paper but meanwhile people are complaining and walking out because the wait time is so long. It puts pressure on the opticians to make sales quick and the customers don't really get the one on one attention they deserve. It's so busy and by the time they get to the optician they are just ready to get out of there.

Advice to Management

Listen to your branch managers and your store employees. They know what's best for their store locations. NOT EVERY BRANCH IS THE SAME! Quit acting like it has to be uniform in every way. Sometimes the reason one store is slower than another has nothing to do with the employees but everything to do with the location in which the store is located and the speed in which the doctor and/or opticians can perform. Use the strength of your team members to put a positive spin on all business that is done in each location rather than put the emphasis on sales goals.