Zillow Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Zillow CEO Spencer Rascoff
Spencer Rascoff

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Promotes a healthy work /life balance" (in 84 reviews)

• "Great Benefits, Amazing Leadership, Intelligent & Caring Colleagues" (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • "Very little work/life balance in sales positions" (in 19 reviews)

• "Managers that have been there for years are lazy and if you report this to HR you get let go" (in 11 reviews)

"9 Year Veteran"

Current Employee - Strategic Business Advisor in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Strategic Business Advisor in Denver, CO

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

9 years ago, I started with a handful of sales generalists at Trulia. We quickly grew from a 5 to 200+ person sales organization, underwent an IPO, and successfully united with the Zillow Group family through an acquisition in 2015.

I can genuinely say that each year has felt like an entirely new startup company while still preserving the momentum and progress we’re creating. Personally, it has made my 9 years fly by incredibly fast.

But it’s not just fast and fun times with the BEST benefits and people...

My time here has proven to me that the leadership at ZG is thoughtful about our future. I absolutely trust that the company can navigate our disruptive industry and is willing to innovate to the degree that most companies seemingly only talk about.

While I feel like we’re only now at the top of the roller coaster ride, it’s completely reassuring to know the company I’m committed to is equally committed to me both personally and professionally. I’m proud to be part of Zillow Group and am excited for our future.

Cons

Every industry is facing change. Zillow is not afraid to embrace change for the long term mission. This requires adaptability and willingness to be uncomfortable which is not for everyone.

Advice to Management

Continue to "turn on the lights" externally in the industry and internally with employees.

Zillow Response

Oct 18, 2018 – CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for this great review.
    yes, the company sure has changed in 9 years! But some things have not -- our focus remains on delighting consumers, making sure that our company is a great place... More

"Excellent Company, Interesting Work"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fantastic pay, fantastic benefits, fantastic opportunity for professional growth. I've been here 5 years and it's the happiest I've been at a job in my life. I have had the opportunity to grow in several roles and participate in many pilots (pilots are an excellent opportunity to live the core value #MoveFastThinkBig and really push yourself to do something new and amazing!). I've been mentored by some brilliant people, I've always felt like management is truly invested in my growth and in keeping the very best talent long term. In looking at what I "should" be making as an average for my job title, my actual pay at Zillow always comes out on top even without taking into account the extremely generous benefits. I've referred numerous people to work here, it's the best place to work!

Cons

I sound biased, but there really aren't any. It's not very fancy, so if your ego requires an office, the semi-casual open floor plan with no offices probably won't be your thing. But I love it.

Advice to Management

Keep doing things right!

Zillow Response

Oct 17, 2018 – CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for this great review! I was particularly happy to see that you've had a great experience with mentorship and development. This is something that we are investing even more heavily in. It... More

3. "Great company, but PAC is a disappointing department"

Current Employee - Client Engagement Specialist in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Client Engagement Specialist in Denver, CO

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The perks and benefits of the company are obviously one of the best things about working for the company. Medical/dental/vision all offer great coverage, the well stocked kitchens are great, and the amount of PTO offered is generous.

Cons

Unfortunately, the cons of working in PAC seem to outweigh all the benefits the company has to offer. The company is headed in a great direction and does have a bright future, a lot of which depends on what the PAC department does, but they're not set up to fulfill this vision yet. The department is incredibly understaffed, particularly on weekends. This creates a negative environment because we are not living up to our promises and are setting ourselves up for failure. It's hard to remain motivated when you there are times that you simply cannot succeed, just because there are not enough people to do the job needed to be done. On days when the department is not running hours and hours behind schedule, there is still the problem of the job just being mundane and monotonous. For some, it may be an ideal position because it isn't the most mentally challenging job (though it is mentally draining), but for others with more ambition it can be a bit too simple. The Denver office, while growing, does not offer a lot of opportunities for growth in other departments, unless you're wanting to get into a sales role. Most of the job opportunities available will be at the headquarters in Seattle, which is unfortunate for those who do not wish to relocate. There are many other headaches that come with working as a Client Engagement Specialist, such as poor communication and lack of transparency at times, but right now the biggest issue is just the fact that the staffing levels are not set up in a way for us to do our jobs the way we should be doing them. They preach about a 6 Star experience for Beth, yet there are times that we're delivering a 1 star experience, if that. If the company has a specific vision, we should not begin executing it until we can do so in a way that provides our consumers with the service they deserve.

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate staffing levels, especially on weekends, so that we are not providing a poor consumer experience. Communicate more effectively with all the teams and be more transparent with current issues.

4. "Premier agent sales executive"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Centennial, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Centennial, CO

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

World class organization with top flight compensation, employer paid health insurance, incredible management team, excellent work environment and fantastic work life balance. Massive amount of upward mobility. Incentives are endless for performing well. Consistent praise from peers and management.

Cons

They limit how much I can work

Advice to Management

Keep on changing the world of real estate

Oct 4, 2018 – Senior Director, Premier Agent Sales

Thank you for your review. We appreciate hearing that you feel we are delivering on your expectations of benefits, a work environment, and providing fantastic work-life balance! Thank you for... More

5. "A great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My experience at Zillow Group has been one of the best! It's great to be part of a company that's mission driven, innovative, and cares about the employees. I truly enjoy the transparency leadership offers and an environment that promotes collaborative teamwork!

Cons

None that I can think of at this time.

"Awesome"

I have been working at Zillow full-time

Pros

Great work culture and food.

Cons

Parking can get pricey take the bus.

Oct 1, 2018 – COO

Thanks for the review, I'm glad you are happy here! One of our benefits to all full-time employees in Seattle is free ORCA cards (and similar in other locations), so you can easily take public... More

"Too much office-politics in AI .org"

I worked at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work-life balance, free snakes; has opportunities to grow since AI at Zillow is still at early stage of development

Cons

Too much politics in AI: the ones with good relationship with senior management would get promoted regardless of their technical skills

Advice to Management

Hire better managers, especially the vps and sr directors. They can change the culture.

Oct 22, 2018 – Chief Analytics Officer

I am sorry to hear that you had an unpleasant experience in our AI team. I personally have overseen this team’s growth, and have helped many employees in our A.I. team, as well as within the larger... More

"Zillow Products"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people and platform. Not as intense as Amazon

Cons

Zillow has a start up feel but are too big to be one so things are moving slower then they were 4 years ago. Zillow is an advertising company and is learning on how to build tech products. Not the best content platform

Sep 27, 2018 – CTO

Thanks for your feedback. I agree that we have great people and our platforms are allowing us to deliver great products to our customers. We have indeed grown in size a lot over the last 4 years and... More

"Inside Sales"

Former Employee - Inside Sales in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zillow full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great perks and fast paced environment

Cons

Monotonous work, cold calling, lack of upward mobility

Advice to Management

Promote based on leadership potential not just sales outcomes

Sep 20, 2018 – Senior Director - Inside Sales, Seattle

Thank you for taking the time to post this review. I'm glad you enjoyed the great perks and face paced environment here at Zillow Group.

We focus a lot on career development and leadership... More

10. "Awesome company"

I have been working at Zillow full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome benefits, great people to work with, and its always exciting to come to work.

Cons

I feel like I'm underpaid or under appreciated for doing multiple job duties compared to the other offices that have multiple people doing my one job.

Advice to Management

Dont forget the little guys

Sep 28, 2018 – COO

Thank you for the review, it's great to hear you are having a good experience here! If you have questions about your compensation, please talk to your HR Business partner and/or manager. - Amy (COO)... More