Zillow Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Zillow CEO Spencer Rascoff
Spencer Rascoff

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Promotes a healthy work /life balance" (in 81 reviews)

• "Free food catered in at least once a week" (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • "Very little work/life balance in sales positions" (in 19 reviews)

• "Managers that have been there for years are lazy and if you report this to HR you get let go" (in 11 reviews)

"Great experience working here"

Current Employee - Senior Database Administrator in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Database Administrator in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work culture is awesome! Competitive and innovative work is happening. It’ll be interesting to see how things change in the real estate world in the near future. Snacks are great.

Cons

They used to spend a lot on company parties earlier. This is not a con. But some employees sounded happy with stock prices going up vs org spending on company parties.

Advice to Management

Good luck with instant offers!

Jul 30, 2018 – CTO

You had an incredible impact at Zillow Group as a key member of our Database Administrator team. Given how important data is at Zillow Group, we couldn't do what we do without the close partnership... More

"Love my benefits but need to be heard"

Current Employee - PAC CES in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - PAC CES in Denver, CO

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits at Zillow are incomparable to any other benefits I have ever been offered. Health is amazing as they have a customized plan at includes low deductible ($250) and low copays of $15 for visits. Referrals are not required so there’s no headache when scheduling appointments. The plan also overs massage therapy, acupuncture, and chiropractor visits.
    Dental is also very good! Zillow covers half the cost for braces!
    Commuter benefits are available
    Vision covers a good amount
    $75 gym reimbursement
    Volunteer opportunities
    Guided career development
    Paternity leave and baby bucks
    Work/life balance

Fully stocked kitchen that provides more than enough options for breakfast and lunch.
    Catered lunches twice a month
    Food trucks daily so you don’t have to run out on break
    Workout classes during office hours
    Relaxed dress code

Cons

The Denver office doesn’t have as many departments as other offices do. Therefore, the growth is really hard if you’re not willing to relocate. The entry position is a very easy CES position which is where most begin their Zillow career. However, there isn’t much of a system to monitor employees. You can be a top performer on your team and/or in the department, and the treatment is the same as the guy sitting next to you doing half the work but taking double the breaks. They claim this is monitored, but there doesn’t seem to be much managing of the “slackers”. Top performers are rarely recognized by upper management and receive zero incentive for their hard work and dedication to the company. It sucks.
    As managers are encouraged to help with career development, the room for growth is sparse and the demand is high.
    A survey is sent out to employees to provide feedback and every time I fill this out, I voice my opinion about compensating top performers and I never ever hear a word about it. They stress “power to the people” and that they hear us, but this topic continues to go unheard. It’s so un-motivating especially to the people who are actually dedicated. Employees are growing frustrated and morale is way down.

Advice to Management

PAC managers should really listen to what their top performers are saying. You know who is dedicated and putting in the work vs. who is just getting by. Take your people more serious. I have been laughed at by a manager who forgot about a career development step that was discussed followed by a “my bad”. Not very professional and made me feel devalued. Every employee should be treated fairly and with respect, yes. But the person next me who is distracted all day doing minimal work as I make double the calls and stay focused on quantity yet we are viewed the same, no! Please look into making a change and compensating the performers who deserve it.

Aug 14, 2018 – VP, Client Experience

Hi, at Zillow we strive to make our compensation fair and equitable. We regularly review the compensation of our employees to ensure it's competitive in the marketplaces we operate in, and believe... More

3. "Not a place to grow your career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast paced, great talent, progressive

Cons

Losing the start up feel, career development opportunities are lacking

"Solid job if you don't take it too seriously"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zillow full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice offices. Good pay. Good work/life balance. Stable company. You can completely ignore office politics, but see "Cons."

Cons

Very easy to over-specialize. Easy to get stuck. Hard to move between teams or departments. If you completely ignore office politics you will have a hard time advocating for yourself. For example, I was once told that if I wanted to join another team, I should start by joining that team lead's running club.

Advice to Management

Let people find the work they're interested in.

Aug 7, 2018 – COO

Thank you for the feedback. I'm not sure when you left the company, but one area where we've invested significantly in the past few years is internal mobility, and opening up opportunities on other... More

"Inside Sales"

I worked at Zillow full-time

Pros

Great People, Great Environment, Great Product

Cons

Fraternity style environment that fostered a lot of toxicity. Management should be held to a much higher level of professionalism

Advice to Management

I'm sure recent lawsuits have taught them plenty

Aug 1, 2018 – Vice President, Premier Agent Sales

Thank you for the review. Glad to hear you had a great experience with our people and product. I am really interested in hearing more about your assertions regarding leadership and our workplace... More

"Could be brilliant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time

Pros

- Amazing work/life balance.
    - CEO is one of the best and brightest. He truly cares about not just the business side of things but the people and Zillow Group's culture.
    - Incredibly talented individual contributors.
    - Benefits and stock are superb

Cons

- Leadership. Specifically in Brand Marketing. Tired leaders who have been at the company a bit too long and are no longer invested or willing to change. Some simply aren't equipped for the job and have been given too many chances.
    - Takes a lot for a "bad egg" to be noticed by upper management/leaders and make moves.
    - Unfortunate favoritism.
    - Company wants to be innovative (as they say), but struggle with what this looks like, who to listen to, and how to go about it.
    - Zero company-wide processes (it's a free for all)
    - Individual Contributors aren't set up for success and growth (managers don't know how to help directs manage growth or how to answer simple questions)
    - Leadership ego and attitudes (negative and toxic)
    - Lack of empowerment

Advice to Management

- You've hired incredibly talented employees in-house who are invested and want to create great things ... Use them. Use their abilities. Let them flourish and grow. Everyone is on the same team.
    - Recognize when middle management and upper management are no longer performing and/or are toxic and simply not following ZG's core values.
    - Re-thinj "Move Fast. Think Big." No one moves quickly on something and has been able to do it *well.*

Aug 7, 2018 – COO

Thank you for your feedback. I'm disappointed to hear your experience here isn't something better. If you'd like to share more detail about your team experience so that we may make improvements... More

"Fantastic culture & strong mission"

Current Employee - Applied Scientist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Applied Scientist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In addition to the usual tech company perks (free drinks/snacks, happy hours, free public transit, etc.), Zillow has an unparalleled commitment to work-life balance. Management invests in employees through competitive compensation, benefits, career and technical development, diversity and inclusion, and an ability to transfer internally between roles and even job groups.

Cons

I have no real complaints. My only concern is that as the company grows beyond the point where institutional knowledge is scalable, there may be technical and cultural debt that prohibits growth and flexibility. However, I have confidence that management will try to proactively address this before it becomes a major problem.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in employees first, and it will pay dividends in the long term. Make it easy for all employees to voice concerns without fear of retaliation as middle management positions become the norm and ICs are further removed from the decision-making process.

Jul 30, 2018 – CTO

Thank you for your comments and for being a member of the team with a great outlook and attitude for positive change. We will certainly have challenges as we continue to scale our product, services... More

"Not what they used to be"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zillow full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing location, benefits, snacks, social events, etc. This is now the expectation of tech companies in Seattle, and they keep up.

More importantly, a chance to be part of the most influential company within an industry is a great opportunity. Growth, multiple departments as opportunity for change and learning, future career-benefiting relationships. These and the friends you make are what keep you there at a certain point.

There are many agents and brokers that see great success because of their advertising with Zillow Group. It really does work, when they work it.

Cons

The problem is with the man in charge of the sales organization.

He does not align with the values of the company. He is dishonest. That's actually the nicest and most professional way that I can say it. While I was there, and since I left, I have watched him destroy the careers of, push out, and ridicule some of the most talented salespeople and sales leaders that I've worked with. I had many 1 on 1 conversations with him over the years that left me feeling sick to my stomach. The way he views and treats the people whom are "beneath him" is not representative of how the CEO thinks or operates. So many talented people have left within the past couple of years, but not him. It begs the question; what does he have on them? I have no idea why he hasn't been pushed out, but he's destroyed a great thing.

Advice to Management

Get rid of your Chief Business Officer, or whatever his title is now. The CEO is amazing, but this person is making the company look bad. Your reputation within the sales community in Seattle just keeps getting worse. You'll stop attracting or retaining talent if you don't look within your sales org and fix things.

Jul 24, 2018 – President, Media and Marketplaces

Thanks for your review. We appreciate everything you did for Zillow Group, and your recognition that our business works for agents and brokers. As the senior leader responsible for the sales team I... More

"Innovative+Transparent+Truly Cares= Zillow Group"

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Innovative, cares about their people, always looking 3 steps ahead, fun, great culture, and rewarding.

Cons

I have no cons about this great company.

Zillow Response

Jul 13, 2018 – CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for the review -- I'm really glad that you're enjoying your experience here.

"Senior Business Consultant/Senior Sales Executive"

Former Employee - Senior Business Consultant/Senior Sales Executive in Irvine, CA

I worked at Zillow full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Zillow was a great place for me to grow as a sales professional over the past 4 1/2 years. I experienced a ton of change throughout my tenure, and even more personal growth. This is a world class organization at ZGOC. There are some great leaders starting with a Senior Director who will be dearly missed when she heads north. The people are great here, that’s what I will miss the most. The product is best in the industry when used and scaled properly by the Premier Agents. The sales processes are great and ever evolving with consistent and ongoing training. The performance of the ZGOC sales team is the best in the company, and I am proud to have been a part of it. There’s a strong financial opportunity for top performance.

Zillow Group as a company truly follows its core values while working towards a strong and ambitious mission. Culture is amazing, benefits are awesome: health, 401k, fun office environment, award dinners, catered Friday lunches, food, coffee, ZG week in Seattle....

Cons

It can be a grind, but when things roll they’re great.

Change happens fast, not a total con, but be ready to pivot at times and trust the process.

Entry level pricing in some markets prices out a lot of agents from the beginning.

Low turnout on the softball team often left us short handed for games.

Advice to Management

Keep ongoing trainings, the growth/evolution of the sales team over the years is incredible. May need to re-evaluate the current state of the SE’s, moral seems low as attrition is high recently, especially after employee churn seemed pretty stable for a while.

Jul 16, 2018 – Senior Director, Premier Agent Sales

Thank you for your feedback! It is great to read that you felt the support of our leadership team and developed as a professional throughout your tenure. I would like to personally thank you for... More