Zillow Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Zillow CEO Spencer Rascoff
Spencer Rascoff

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Promotes a healthy work /life balance" (in 85 reviews)

• "Free food catered in at least once a week" (in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • "Very little work/life balance in sales positions" (in 19 reviews)

• "Not a lot of upper management support" (in 12 reviews)

1. "Excellent company with a great investment in people"

Current Employee - Data Scientist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Data Scientist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Strong focus on personal development
    Living the core values
    Transparent, effective leadership

Cons

Compared to other tech companies, you'll spend a lot more time dealing with messy people data. That's not a con for me, but is a con for others

"Grateful but had to move on.."

Former Employee - Client Engagement Specialist in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Client Engagement Specialist in Denver, CO

I worked at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I started at Zillow in 2016. Premier Agent Concierge was new and I thought it was innovative. I wasn't thrilled at working in a call center environment but the benefits, pay and people outweighed that. The biggest reason why I stayed at Zillow is because of the top notch benefits and the people. I would say about a third of the managers I had were excellent leaders. They kept me there. They didn't just say they valued my opinions-- their actions SHOWED me they did. Ultimately, Zillow gave me experience in a corporate environment and helped me develop skills that I now use in my dream job. For that, I am grateful!

Cons

The first year in PAC was great. People had their complaints but I realized that every company had their office politics. However, as the company grew FAST-- things changed. Management changed and department moral declined. I would go to all hands meetings and Spencer and Amy would deeply inspire me. Then I would go back to a department that felt so separate from the rest of the company. We weren't included in many functions that the rest of the company participated in. I realize that business needs dictate scheduling but there is always balance. Management spent so much time trying to convince us that we were no different than any other department when they could have exercised humility and OWNED IT. WE WERE DIFFERENT and you know what? That is okay. All I ever wanted was for management to admit that. Also, I understand that mistakes are made in corporate environments. That does not frustrate me. What frustrated me was that genuine apologies were never made, only excuses. I'm fairly confident I will receive a response to this assuring me that "management did admit when they were wrong!" An apology is not "well, you know, possibly the messaging was not the most effective and we are looking into maybe changing this. However, the reason this happened is because we were in a time crunch and we were doing the best we could with the resources we had." An apology does not include excuses. It is simply, "We are sorry for our actions and we will strive to do better."
    Thankfully, for my last bit of time at ZG-- my team lead kept me engaged. They are the reason I stayed and I am so grateful for their encouragement and effective leadership skills.
    Additionally, leadership was constantly asking for honesty and feedback. So, in skip levels, occasionally, I would speak up. I learned quickly that this was not effective. Generally, the response from management was: "Thank you so much for sharing! However, do you realize how good you have it here? Most jobs didn't have free food and top notch benefits." I must have heard 10 different versions of that answer. Again, I understand that you cannot just allow people to sit and complain without bringing up possible resolutions. I am not suggesting that managers should sit and allow people to vent without end. If your employees are venting in a kind and professional way, as a leader, you should listen and do your best to help them problem solve without making them feel like their thoughts and ideas are not valid. PAC had so much potential to be an amazing department (even with scheduling differences and limited access to functions and meetings). Unfortunately, during the time of my recent departure moral was continuing to decline. There are great people in PAC. People who care and who lead with kindness and humility. It is my hope that those people will take action and grab hold of the amazing idea that PAC stemmed from. I genuinely believe that the solution to many of the problems here is honesty and a willingness to be humble when you make a mistake.

Advice to Management

Repeating myself a bit, simply be honest and transparent. During my years in PAC I cannot tell you how many times I heard the word "transparency" but it was almost never supported by actions. The times when I experienced transparency were (oddly enough) when that word was never mentioned. Here is the thing: I realize that there will always be issues to resolve within companies. My biggest ask is that when you have to tell PAC members that they cannot attend an event that the rest of the company will be at or that they can use their break time to quickly pop in-- OWN IT! Don't sugar coat it. It is what it is and I if you are simply open and real about the reality of the situation people will respond much better.

Dec 7, 2018 – VP, Client Experience

I'm glad you found the benefits and people to be top notch, and that you found excellent leaders in your management. Our goal is always to create an environment that helps drives great results for... More

"Great company but a lot of room for improvement"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Denver, CO

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I think Zillow has an amazing upper management team. They are always trying to innovate and improve products. Amazing benefits and the core values of the company are important and help keep employees aligned with what is really important.

Sales comp plan is fair and if you are good at what you do you will be successful and make a really good salary. It’s not for everyone but there are plenty of SEs that can hit numbers and do very well without having to work long hours. Some of the SE managers are really great here and go above and beyond to find for SEs on their teams. In general Zillow hires great people, I’m constantly impressed with the new hires they are bringing in. It’s a positive place to work and the culture is really good.

They do a good job about being inclusive and holding cool events without turning into the obnoxious tech companies with employees partying at work.

The support staff (front desk, facilities, etc.) are awesome and work hard to make sure everyone is taken care of. They are a generous company when it comes to things like health issues.

The newest version of PA is definitely on the right track and if we can be operationally excellent with new initiatives the sky is the limit for Zillow.

Cons

High turnover rate for new SEs. Less than 50% of the SEs hired in my class are still here a year later. However, a lot of them just weren’t doing the work they needed to be successful.

By far the biggest issue facing SEs is lack of good support with sales technology. Consumer facing Zillow tech is awesome and innovative. Consumers love using the website - it’s well designed and accomplishes the company's goals.

I wish I could say the same thing about the tools they give SEs. For a long time we used an old version of Salesforce with an internal tool for prospecting/pipeline management. It lacked common features that would make SEs more successful but at least it worked. Over my first year here though there was really no innovation on any of the tools and communication between sales strategy/operations and sales was non-existent. I reported countless bugs and feature requests - I would try to push ideas up the chain and just reach a dead end.

They’ve recently rolled out a new replacement for a prospecting tool and it’s extremely obvious that they didn’t put enough resources into it. Typos, broken features, bad usability design, etc. It’s not the end of the world - you can still be extremely successful even with the issues but I still find it troubling that we don’t put the same level of care into supporting sales that we do with consumer facing products.

Other small things - way too many pointless morning meetings sapping energy and productivity from SEs. A lot of times it feels like management is holding them to just prove they are working vs. actually providing value. We'll have 45 minute meetings to start our day where we sit there reading an article line-by-line while every SE is zoning out wanting to get back trying to hit quota.

On a daily basis they will have meeting where every SE/BC manager is in a meeting together. When we have a major issue with a customer there is no one to help. Lack of continued training for sales professionals - most of what we learn is self taught or from observing coworkers. The Denver office is also pretty cliquey - most of the mid-management has been here forever is is more focused on climbing the ladder/networking internally vs. rocking the boat and trying to push for innovation.

Advice to Management

Invest money and get smart people in your sales strategy/operations department. Spend more time listening to your sales professionals. The fact that we can't pull a report showing which agents have sold properties in a specific zip code is insane when we have that data available and it just needs someone to build out an API call from the website into the CRM. This one feature would completely change the way SEs prospect.

Get better at communicating with your sales professionals. When bugs are fixed/new features are added for the tools we use we never hear about it.

More transparency in general.

More flexibility in hours - everyone comes in at 7:30 and has a daily 7:30 meeting and works until 4:00 - even if you're calling a PST region.

Dec 12, 2018 – Senior Director, Premier Agent Sales

Thank you for your review, which is very timely as we prepare entry into 2019. Your angst around the lack of SE efficiency tools has definitely been a real challenge and, fortunately, this week, has... More

4. "Excelling in Inclusivity, Equity and Belonging"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A lot of companies give lip service when it comes to addressing inequities around sexuality, gender, and diversity in the workplace. Because we were so driven product wise for years it felt like maybe that is all Zillow will be; lip service. Last few years though I am inspired and impressed by the excellent work from C level down in advocating for inclusivity, equity and belonging for everyone.
    It is not easy work and we still have ways to go but I can confidently say we are authentic at Zillow about our commitment. For example, in the past few months, I have been able to communicate and get support around issues of bias that a few years ago I wouldn't have felt safe to address. I can't say enough how valuable this has been.

If we at Zillow keep going as passionately about this aspect of our culture as we have been the last two to three years we are going to be a model in the technology industry and beyond about the business and cultural value of making all employees feel welcomed and part of an organization. Because of the leadership buy-in, I believe we will continue on this path.

Also, you work with some of the smartest people in their given specialties. Come in hungry and open to learn you will grow. You will never get bored here if you are curious and you lean in.
    Work-life balance is ample and promoted. Also, it takes a few weeks to realize, wow, you are at a company that is doing groundbreaking, innovative work.

Cons

Some in middle management, especially in sales and sales support, have not been as committed as some of our executives and individual contributors.

Advice to Management

Please keep on keeping on and be willing to work through the challenges that arise in addressing Equity, Belonging and Inclusivity.

Zillow Response

Nov 20, 2018 – CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for this fabulous review.
    We have definitely been making much more of an effort in this area over the last few years. We still have plenty of room for improvement, but I am proud of how... More

5. "Best Company That Actually Lives Their Values"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Zillow full-time

Pros

Access to upper management at all levels, Transparency of Sr. Leadership, Core Values taken seriously, Focus on people, Great working spaces

Cons

Nothing outside of any company that goes through the growing pains of maturing.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great focus you have on people! Don't start shaving away at Culture as the company scales because that's what truly makes Zillow such a great place to work.

Dec 13, 2018 – President of Homes

Thank you for taking the time to give us your thoughts! It’s great to hear that you are having a positive experience working at Zillow Group. Living our Core Values has always been very important to... More

"CES in PAC. So disappointing inside and out."

Current Employee - Ces in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Ces in Denver, CO

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are great , newer office and new furniture.

Cons

First off, I encourage everyone to carefully read the recent PAC feedback provided here from the Denver office. I'm confident that you are seeing a common thread of low morale through those reviews. It’s real and it’s going ignored.

I'm discouraged and disappointed to be writing this review, especially since it's negative towards the company. I've been on the team long enough that I feel my feedback is important. I'm also one of the people that feels that only providing this feedback on a local level isn't helping to bring change to the department. My perception is that the feedback provided to our office doesn't find it's way to the appropriate parties. The reason everyone keeps posting reviews here is because the other sources you provide aren’t effective.

We are advised that both Turn on the Lights and Act With Integrity are very important value to the company, but there are several specific examples I will provide here where it isn't happening in our department. There's a general feeling from management that we may not be able to handle SOP or office changes maturely, so we’re provided information using a very soft approach instead of honesty and frankness. Act With Integrity is changing to Do the Right Thing. For who? Will you Do the Right Thing and keep this department open manned by ZG employees instead of outsourced call centers? Can you effectively reassure us that we are secure in our jobs as long as we Act With Integrity?

We recently received an email showing the holiday schedule that people volunteered for. The majority of the floor thought that meant the schedule was clear and there were enough volunteers, only to be pulled aside from team leads to be told what holiday and what schedule we had to work. As a tenured team member, I would have thought by now that it wouldn't be mandatory to work a holiday as a way a company shows appreciation for long term employees, but I was incorrect. While making sure your department is appropriately staffed for 363 days/year, you should also make sure to show employees that their dedication matters to you. At most companies, less tenured employees expect to have the less favorable schedule including working holidays, and as you move up within your time with the company, your schedule becomes better and you work less holidays. I'm unsure how we don't have the same benefit. We can’t request time off now for any holiday, it’s a blacked out period. So if you work in PAC, don’t plan any vacations around those times. There’s a difference between staffing appropriately for holidays and just disappointing people who came to this company with the promise of a good work/life balance.

The team has been told that agents LOVE the new changes that have taken place and that our department is connecting over 90% of contacts. Showing us the actual data behind those statements would be valuable to us. Right now I don't believe you. I've done some personal research online to look up agent feedback on the changes and I can see a lot of negativity. The largest change that has been made to our process has been removing a question that we used to ask. To me, it's the most important question that we ask to ensure we are providing quality contacts. There was a 48 hour "pilot" done before being told that it was so massively successful and we received the best feedback from agents so we rolled it out nationwide. We should be shown that information and feedback as well. It seems like there's a lack from leadership in trusting employees to be able to read and interpret information on our own. Do I think everyone in the department will pay attention to the information? Not necessarily, but we should at least have the option and the ways to see it.

I believe that any change made to policy and procedures either in our work system or to our workplace should be put in writing. I understand that you want to have leads provide the information verbally, but the messaging isn't consistent that way. There's always been an issue in Denver with hearing different information depending on who you speak with about it. I do not mean peer to peer. I mean if a CES goes to one lead and then another, we do not hear the same thing. Putting everything in writing, either before or after it's in writing, is the only way to solve for this.

As things become more and more automated in the system, I also fear that our jobs are going to become unnecessary, or the people that you use to make those connections will not be ZG employees. I know that you can't be honest regarding the direction the department may take in that regard, but you need to know that if it does happen, you will lose a lot of people who have put everything they could into making sure that we stay true to the company. Those same people have gone through nearly a year of one disappointment after another. The reason I still work for the company is because I believe that it's a company that knows when a change happens that negatively affects people to this degree, they revert back to either the old way or a change is made that makes more sense. I'm losing hope in this happening with the department, and that brings me so much stress and sadness. You haven’t opened any positions in Denver for PAC in months. A Sr manager recently left and that position hasn’t been posted. You say that it’s important that there’s human contact with some of the work that we do. You’ve started calling us a contact center and you haven’t said that the human contact will be done by ZG employees. One of the most disappointing things I saw was the majority of the company was flown to Seattle for the annual company meeting and our CEO
    mentioned several times on social media that all the employees were there. That was really hurtful to see. You’ll mention business needs again, but there could have been a lot more effort put into the roadshow that came to Denver. My session made me leave thinking that we were highly encouraged to pursue ZG jobs in other departments in other states. Not everyone wants to move and uproot their entire lives, we would like the opportunity to be here!!

Advice to Management

Please make the changes that you need to in order to stay true to your employees, agents and consumers. What we are doing to agents right now isn't ok and the way we've gone about making those changes I see as being really underhanded. You will say that with change comes some resistance, but the resistance I'm seeing is so visceral that I don't honestly know how we will save face.

Find out what tenured employees loved about the company and department before and what changes have brought about the most dissatisfaction to them. Not everything needs to be changed, but some things definitely do.

If I didn't need the benefits as much as I do right now, I would no longer work for the company because of my current state of unhappiness. I'm not the only person who feels that way, I have asked others. I'm so sad to have to say that.

What will it take for upper management to really LOOK at your people in this department and understand that we are logically and emotionally invested in the company and what we do to make the connections? I want to shout from the rooftops “it’s not us, it’s you”

"9 Year Veteran"

Current Employee - Strategic Business Advisor in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Strategic Business Advisor in Denver, CO

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

9 years ago, I started with a handful of sales generalists at Trulia. We quickly grew from a 5 to 200+ person sales organization, underwent an IPO, and successfully united with the Zillow Group family through an acquisition in 2015.

I can genuinely say that each year has felt like an entirely new startup company while still preserving the momentum and progress we’re creating. Personally, it has made my 9 years fly by incredibly fast.

But it’s not just fast and fun times with the BEST benefits and people...

My time here has proven to me that the leadership at ZG is thoughtful about our future. I absolutely trust that the company can navigate our disruptive industry and is willing to innovate to the degree that most companies seemingly only talk about.

While I feel like we’re only now at the top of the roller coaster ride, it’s completely reassuring to know the company I’m committed to is equally committed to me both personally and professionally. I’m proud to be part of Zillow Group and am excited for our future.

Cons

Every industry is facing change. Zillow is not afraid to embrace change for the long term mission. This requires adaptability and willingness to be uncomfortable which is not for everyone.

Advice to Management

Continue to "turn on the lights" externally in the industry and internally with employees.

Zillow Response

Oct 18, 2018 – CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for this great review.
    yes, the company sure has changed in 9 years! But some things have not -- our focus remains on delighting consumers, making sure that our company is a great place... More

8. "Great opportunity"

I have been working at Zillow full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Honestly the best position I've ever had. There is so much this company offers you as a whole, with full paid health benefits, great pay and career development I can't see why anyone would have anything negative to say. Yes we are going through some changes that I can say can be difficult on some people but it has to be done to make the consumers and the agents have the best experience with Zillow. I've worked for companies in the past that would never give you any opportunity to grow and with this company they don't want to hold you back at all. We do work 4/10s but we also get three days off which helps with my schedule perfectly so I can have more time with my children. They also very understanding with your personal issues like sick time, mental health and PTO. When your sick or have a family emergency, no problem. Zillow fully understands what your going through, they will give you the time off you need to help yourself or fix your family issues. Which to me is almost unheard of in other companies I've worked for. No matter if I felt like I was near death I had to go to work in the past. The Affinity groups are great as well, these groups help you build connections with other people in different positions at Zillow so you can promote yourself internally. I love working here and can't wait to see what the future holds for me and for Zillow.

Cons

The only con is I wish we can get more notice for changes in the SOPs due to I feel like people feel rushed and more errors occur.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. I see you guys working as hard as you can to make Zillow the best it can be.

Nov 8, 2018 – VP, Client Experience

Thanks for this great review. I agree the speed that we're changing our procedures can sometimes mean you don't have a lot of time to digest them. I appreciate your hard work and effort while we... More

"Lack of action on promises for role"

I have been working at Zillow full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

ZG is a fast moving company. The role has gotta keep up with that, so you'll develop some professional communication skills, fast. Great group of people. Diverse in age and experiences. Lots of networks for different groups of people and interest. A jam room! Benefits, decent pay and snacks don't hurt either.

Cons

I just got here and have never felt so insecure about my job, ever. Working in PAC, I always feel unequal to the rest of the company. One of the biggest factors on why i took this role was the promise of growth, opportunities to meet like minded career folk and expand my skill set. I also took this position for the opportunity to attend events like ZG18. What a disappointment. I looked forward to something that was so highly spoken of. I was crushed when no one from our department was permitted to go for more than just the all-hands meeting. There was the option to go before our shifts but what sessions take place at 4:30am or 10:30pm? It makes everyone in the department feel like they are far less important than everyone else. There is such a large emphasis on equity and belonging, as well as promoting general equality in the office. You receive messages telling you to look forward to the future at ZG and the work you're doing is important. Though a kind word is appreciated, I'd like this department to keep to the core values and grow us to be valuable influencer's and developers in this company.

Advice to Management

Upper Management
    - Guys, communicate with us!
    - Listen to what is concerning us
    - Work with us to make everything preform better
    - Collaborate with our team leads for new projects and new ideas

Dec 11, 2018 – VP, Client Experience

I'm sorry you feel that way. For feedback, please make sure to use all the new feedback channels we've opened, including UserVoice, and the new anonymous, always-open survey, the responses to which... More

"Sales Executive, Rentals"

Current Employee - Sales Executive, Rentals in Centennial, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Executive, Rentals in Centennial, CO

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a great company that takes care of its employees. They encourage you to work your way up within the organization, whether that is within your team or not. The rentals division specifically is a fast growing section of Zillow Group, and still has a "start up" feel within a larger company. The product sells itself at times, and as a sales rep you function very independently. Your success is largely determined by your ability to function independently and learning as you go.

I have been in this role for over a year, and still find it engaging and I am excited to come in to work everyday. Great leadership team, and you are trusted as a team member to get your job done most likely because of their confidence in the extensive interview process.

Cons

The "start up" feel is not for everyone, and if you do not like constant change this is not a role for you. Travel can be extensive at times, but it is necessary and you are largely in control of when/where you travel which helps prevent burning out.

Advice to Management

Zillow Group has a great leadership team within the rentals organization. They are constantly looking for areas of improvement, and acting on these areas of improvement is something that they follow up on which is great. However communication about these changes down the totem pole could be improved at times.

Zillow Response

Nov 4, 2018 – CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for this great review! I really appreciate it.
    Rentals is a great organization at ZG and I'm glad that you are having a good experience on that team.