Zillow Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 17, 2017

Full-timePart-time

4.3

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work life balance is incredible (in 65 reviews)

• Free food catered in at least once a week (in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life Balance is harder to achieve purely because the program is so involved, and needs to cover a huge range of hours (in 16 reviews)

• Zillow has been working hard to be more diverse and it is apparent in most of the department's, except for inside sales (in 10 reviews)

1. "Great Culture and Workplace"

Current Employee - Client Engagement Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Client Engagement Specialist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Zillow has an amazing culture and set of values. The longer I work here the more I see new ways which they live up to those values. I both feel appreciated and listened to by my coworkers and superiors. And the pay and benefits are, also, pretty amazing.

Cons

I really haven't experienced any.

"Best Work/Life Balance"

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- There's something special about a company that truly believes and cares about their employees. The Learning & Development team along with the People team have truly shined throughout all of Zillow Group.
    - "Own it" is a core value and they really mean it.
    - Benefits are spectacular
    - There are so many teams a different kinds of people working here, you can really find a community and niche.

Cons

- "Own it" can also be a con ... Too much of this, and there isn't enough structure or leadership to actually get things done properly
    - "Move Fast, Think Big" sounds great in theory, but when moving *too* fast, you miss the details and process that can be crucial to great success. I'd love to move quickly without hacking things together or putting band-aids over things that could use more of an overhaul or thorough thought process.
    - Discretionary Time Off is wonderful, but really isn't the same across the company. Each manager is different and therefore unlimited DTO varies.

Advice to Management

Talking amongst one another and truly listening to your employees and taking action. Process and transparency are absolutely key in creating a successful project, initiative and product.

3. "Way Better Than I Thought It Would Be..."

Current Employee - Consultant in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Zillow (More than a year)

Pros

Great environment, culture is very good, lots of communication from senior executives, good benefits

Cons

Poor image with some within real estate industry

Advice to Management

Share more with industry regarding goals of company and aspirations

Sep 5, 2017 – Zillow Group Representative

Thank you for your feedback! It is great to hear that you are enjoying the OC Zillow Group office culture and I am happy you are a part of it! I would love to hear how you think we could continue to... More

4. "Great benefits and culture"

I have been working at Zillow full-time

Pros

The culture is great, everyone is empowered to pick up any project outside of their job description. Everyone is ready to help out another coworker, either in a project or to educate.

Cons

Career development is still very blurry, if you're a strong individual and know what you want then this shouldn't be a problem.

Sep 18, 2017 – COO

Thank you for your feedback and I'm glad you are happy here. On career development - just this week we are rolling out our Career Development Owners Manual, which includes common language around... More

"Most nurturing culture/employer for career growth"

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've only been at Zillow for 6+ weeks but I don't have enough great things to say about my experience and the Zillow Group as an enterprise.

- I started with a 2 week onboarding agenda given to me day 1. This really helped with a quick ramp up and set a promising foundation.
    - My team is very supportive. They make me feel truly appreciated. They have been by my side as a cheerleader but are also first to jump in when I voice for help and advice.
    - My management, the VPs, and even our department Chief, have gone out of their way to ensure I have everything I need to be successful. They consistently remind me that they are here in any capacity needed to support my role and success.

It is really refreshing to see an employer trying so hard to foster their employees and empower them to grow beyond their means.

Reflecting on my past 6 weeks and overall impression as a new hire, joining Zillow has been a great decision for my career growth.

Cons

I can't really think of any to be honest. The benefits are great. The people are great.
     My manager is great. The work is fun and challenging.

Advice to Management

There's nothing I would change about my management. She has given me freedom to make a difference and voice any thoughts. I haven't been frowned on me for asking questions or in need for help and support. I feel supported in my career growth and goals.

Zillow Response

Aug 24, 2017 – CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Awesome. Thank you for the great review. I'm glad that your Zillow Group experience is off to such a great start. Welcome!

"Highly recommended; prepare to work hard"

Current Employee - Senior Business Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Business Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work environment/culture is amazing. People are positive and have fun at work, while working hard. Management expects a lot out their teams. For those that are willing to work hard, have a great team mentality and attitude, and quickly adapt to change there is massive opportunity for financial earnings and career growth.

I could not be happier with my role here. I leave work every day and week feeling good about my opportunities and contributions to the greater whole. I highly recommend Zillow as a career path. Thank you!!

Cons

Communication from management can sometimes lack clarity. Some of this has to do with just how quick things move and evolve here. Continue to focus on delivering new updates, training, etc. in digestible formats.

Advice to Management

The keys to what makes this office tick is the people/environment/culture/vibe. Continue hiring the right positive and hungry people to this team!

Aug 28, 2017 – GM

Hello, this is Dave Frisone the General Manager of sales for the NY office. Thank you very much for your feedback about the role, and the positive, winning culture that you have clearly helped us... More

"Sales Executive"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'm new. Accepting this job was the best decision I ever made. It's already been life-changing. Imagine what it feels like to get 15 pats on the back and "attaboys" for simply closing your first sale, and then to get a barrage of emails congratulating you, from people you don't even know yet. All from a group of people who are legitimatly stoked for your success. THAT is what it feels like to work on the Sales team here. Its hard work. But it's fulfilling, and the training is phenomenal.

If you are interested in working at Zillow, or on the fence about applying, read Spencer Rascoff's blog post on Linkedin about his quarterly meeting with investors who didn't care about financials, and only had questions about company culture. I think THAT is the ultimate secret at Zillow; amazing company culture.

What you read about it is 100% TRUE.

Cons

I have no cons to report.

Advice to Management

Move fast. Think Big. Keep it up!!

Zillow Response

Aug 17, 2017 – CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Woohoo! Thank you for the great review. I'm really happy that you're having a great experience here. See you around the Irvine office sometime.

8. "Okay place to work"

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zillow full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My coworkers, the benefits, the executive team, work/life balance- all great.

Cons

My job was underpaid in comparison to similar jobs at other companies in the area. The organization of my team was a mess, the director ignored feedback from employees, and there was no growth opportunity. The company itself is very social- loud music, beers, constant parties- which can be fun, but it's over the top and it would be great if they would take some of the money spent on parties and swag and pay employees more.

Advice to Management

Middle management needs to better engage with employees on the ground level. We know our clients and our opinions matter.

Sep 5, 2017 – Group Vice President

Thank you for your thoughtful feedback. We're always trying to find the right balance between spending money on social/morale activities and other options, so we'll take this feedback to heart... More

9. "Good company."

Pros

Good people. Good benefits. Fun place.

Cons

Wouldn't be a con - but competitors are tough

Advice to Management

NA

Aug 31, 2017 – COO

Thank you for review and I'm glad you are happy here. - Amy (COO)

"Great Place to Work!"

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Incredible culture, team atmosphere, and purpose. Benefits are great, work-life balance is fantastic; this is an all-around wonderful place to work.

Cons

Not much in the way of downside!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work--maintain our laid-back culture while also continuing to deliver on the mission.

Aug 17, 2017 – Zillow Group Representative

Thank you – we are glad you are here and having a great experience. You help make our culture great everyday. Please reach out anytime with ideas or feedback to dans@zillowgroup.com – Dan (Head of... More