Zillow Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 6, 2018

Full-timePart-time

4.2

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • A supportive CEO that supports the work life balance (in 70 reviews)

• Free food catered in at least once a week (in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • Very little work/life balance in sales positions (in 18 reviews)

• PAC also has long hours and works weekends and holidays so it can be hard to get the time off you want and the schedule does not work for everyone (in 11 reviews)

"Great company, no other like it."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They treat you like a person, not an employee. That's reflected in the benefits and how management approaches employees, no yelling and screaming about challenges, just collaboration and ideas.
    The office environment is very fun, and expansive (can only speak for Seattle). It is a very challenging company due to the pace and ingenuity around every corner, which is awesome.
    If you apply yourself, you'll go some where. Yes, office politics exist, but generally it's a meritocracy.

Cons

It's hard to write cons because I genuinely enjoy the company. But first off, if you're a recovering alcoholic, STAY AWAY, or have your sponsor on speed dial. Unsecured booze is in every corner of EVERY floor, stashed in closets, in every fridge with teams taking jellow shots in public kitchens. It's very hard to deal with in sobriety. Almost every event has booze, morale events are at bars, gifts are generally booze etc. Be firm in your sobriety or do not work here.
    Lastly, this is a company of affluent people, who are generally from affluent backgrounds. If you're from the poor side of things, and still have the chip on your shoulder, don't work here. Example, a room full of people (80+) laughing about someone being in prison. Disgusting. Often the experiences of the poor are mocked and minimized because hey, they can't buy houses.

Advice to Management

Beware nepotism. The generous referral program has created cliques that act in ways unbecoming of the core values. Give everyone DTO, having PTO and DTO creates an us and them culture.
    Also, I know our family benefits are top notch, but if you want to own the PR cycle for a bit, offer daycare benefits. Slam dunk.

Jan 29, 2018 – CPO

Thank you for your thoughtful and balanced review. It is great to hear your positive experiences. I would love to discuss your concerns further, please reach out to me at dans@zillowgroup.com . We... More

"Excellent company"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture and vision on how to help home shoppers find the right home.

Cons

None that I can think of

Jan 24, 2018 – CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for your great review. Made my day.

3. "Sales"

I worked at Zillow full-time

Pros

Great location and benefits. It can be a fun atmosphere but successful sales staff rarely are able to participate in the events. Too busy trying to hit quota to enjoy "Z-Life".

Cons

It seems that you must be a male to be promoted, regardless of experience or production. Very little work/life balance in sales positions. I worked a ridiculous amount of overtime without receiving compensation because it was necessary and encouraged.

Feb 7, 2018 – CPO

Thanks for your review. While hitting targets is challenging we have number of resources and tools to help our sales team be successful. We also have a number of processes to catch bias in the... More

4. "Good company to work"

Current Employee - Software QA Manager
    Current Employee - Software QA Manager

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good company to work at

Cons

you don't leave the company, you leave the manager

Feb 14, 2018 – CTO

I am glad you have been with us for a long period of time and find Zillow Group to be a great place to work. If you have any specific feedback on your or other managers, please do let me or one of... More

5. "Love it here"

Current Employee - IT Procurement Analyst
    Current Employee - IT Procurement Analyst

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Perks, view, ladder to climb.

Cons

Not a whole lot.

Advice to Management

Keep current staff inline with new hire pay.

Jan 24, 2018 – CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for your review.
    You are correct that it is a challenge to keep pay properly aligned as we grow. We are doing a much better job at this lately, and it has been great having a real... More

6. "Great place to work"

I worked at Zillow full-time

Pros

- Great place to work
    - Fun culture
    - Work as a team

Cons

- Transparency: poor communication between departments

Jan 24, 2018 – CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for your review.
    I agree that we aren't great at communication between departments. We need to be better at this. I think we are pretty good between tech and marketing, but could always be... More

"Amazing company, let’s keep it amazing."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Zillow’s culture is incredible, employees are happy 99% of the time because the company cares about us and genuinely wants us to be happy. We get treated extremely well and the perks and benefits are second to none. Thank you X 1 million.

Zillow has a tradition of hiring new employees and immediately asking for their outside feedback, and fresh perspective to create positive change. This is so smart, and really hook, line and sinkered me when I was hired.

Zillow tailors your workflow to your personality, we have 1 on 1s with management whenever we want, they make us their priority and work around us. They give us the freedom to explore avenues within our roles that fit our interests and help develop the skill sets we want to built.

Spencer and the ZG leadership team are pros. They know that different kinds of minds working together in a collaborative space with the right tools can revolutionize an industry. They have created an atmosphere that breeds new ideas and creative solutions. Working on the floor together allows us to collaborate easily, come up with new pilots and make the company better. It makes you feel like you’re doing something important, but we’re having way too much fun. No one has that much fun at work.

They don’t just want to make sure we’re doing well in our jobs they’re helping us develop as humans in life and in our careers. I’m so grateful for the coaching and development I’ve had at ZG. Management is always trying to help us find new ways to learn and grow for what comes next. If you want to teach yourself something new and move into a different department, you just have to want it more than everyone else and work really hard.

Women are actually treated as equals, and this is the first workplace I’ve ever seen with this level of real equality. I think that’s what I love the most about Zillow. I really feel like it’s a melting pot of tons of different people from all walks of life. Working next to someone who’s background and life experiences are different than yours, you really get to know and appreciate them for those differences, not in spite of them. This breaks down barriers and opens dialogues, it makes us better listeners and better people. It’s what we want our country to be like, and it’s honestly a safe haven from the rest of the world for a lot of us. I feel happy, healthy, and safe at my job. I never wake up and dislike coming to work. Everyone is amazing and we’re doing something important.

I’m very personally connected with Zillow’s mission and core values. It’s the reason I joined the company. I want to do something I enjoy, and that I’ll be proud of at the end of the day. I came to work for Zillow because I thought it was the place I could do just that. And it has been 100%, but right now I feel like that is being put in jeopardy which is why I’m writing this review.

Cons

I’ve worked at Zillow for over 3 years and enjoyed pretty much every second of it. I try to live our core values every day and I expect the company to operate under those values. Again, that’s why I’m here. Recently certain departments have started outsourcing jobs to 3rd world countries which is taking a toll on our quality and making employees of Zillow Group feel horrible. Don’t tell us how great of a year we had and then outsource portions of our jobs instead of fixing the problems that can be fixed to avoid that. You can’t put 5000 bandages on something and expect it not to fall apart. Take the time to do the job right and figure it out. We can do it.

Also it’s really sad. These people are probably getting paid close to nothing to do some of our jobs, and to me that’s not Acting With Integrity. That’s Donald Trump behavior. We also don’t want to join every other company thats headed down this slippery slope. It makes consumers really angry, and that’s the opposite direction I thought we were going. Everyone’s had the experience where you reach out to customer service and get mad when the message comes back and you can’t understand because it’s a robot or someone who’s half way around the world completely disconnected from the product and the mission. Your problem does not get solved, you don’t get the help you wanted and the experience ultimately leaves a horrible impression. When this happens, people tell everyone. Word of mouth never dies and social media multiplies that. The internet can turn a small and unintentional error into a PR nightmare. Why risk it? We can balance the work, we just need to not get ahead of ourselves, perfect what we’re doing and then move forward. Leadership is being too aggressive, they need to slow down and take the time needed for the engineers to do their jobs and then make their next moves.

This will negatively effect the Zillow Group brand. For many employees across departments this decision is deep within the gray area of the moral/ethical scale we hold ourselves to at ZG.

Advice to Management

Focus on making your processes work with the quality that you’re pushing, not against it. Your messaging and actions have to match. Also, stop using positive language tactics to try and bring employees onboard for unpopular initiatives.

Turn on the Lights is on the wall for a reason. Zillow is about transparency, honesty, and trust. I want my leadership team to keep it real and stop sugar coating every mistake that lower level employees then have to clean up to sound like a ‘brilliant opportunity’.

Act with Integrity. Stop outsourcing and attempting to call it something else. That’s political and corporate and we hate it.

Own It. If something or many things simultaneously go wrong management needs to acknowledge the problems and try to fix things before going to a lazy, cheap and easy quick fix. It’s just that, it’s not a real solution. Consumers are going to be unhappy with us. I don’t see leaders taking ownership when they should be, we want to see more accountability. Less ignoring and avoiding until problems are out of control.

Focus on getting back to the core values above and maybe a little less on Winning is Fun and Move Fast Think Big. I’m here to help and I can bring others along, but we need to get it together a little bit.

Feb 6, 2018 – VP, Client Experience

Thanks for this feedback. I appreciate your passion for our culture and the work we do. One of the goals for our department this year is to scale up to meet new demand. To do that successfully we're... More

"Best Company To Work For"

Current Employee - Senior Business Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Business Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Zillow full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits, Amazing Leadership, Intelligent & Caring Colleagues

Cons

Rapid changes happen regularly and if you do not like change, or don’t do well with change, this may not be the company for you.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Jan 11, 2018 – GM

Hello, this is Dave Frisone, General Manager of Premier Agent Sales. Thank you so much for this positive and thoughtful feedback and thank you for being an important part of the team first, winning... More

"Walk the walk"

Pros

Benefits are great, CEO truly embodies the best of any I have seen or worked for, a company that truly cares about who you are as a whole person.

Cons

If you don’t make your manager look good then you aren’t getting them to care about you. Unfortunately, lip service is all too often paid by some managers to the core values. Too often they are weaponized by management to employees for mistakes.

Advice to Management

There is several places in the company where there is a poor IC-Manager fit. Do an audit to ensure that those that work in more specialized fields are managed by people who understand their work.

it only takes one bad apple to ruin the bunch and I am afraid that we are on a path to slowly loose the culture of ZG based on recent hires. The passive aggressiveness of the PNW coupled with those who have worked in Amazon can ruin ZG. Be on the lookout for where culture has eroded because there is many of us who are struggling with many issues but have supervisors who won’t and/or don’t care.

Jan 22, 2018 – CPO

Thanks for sharing your concerns. Making sure our managers are living our core values and supporting their teams is our top priority. We have a number of ways that we articulate the role and... More

"Great Company To Work For"

I worked at Zillow full-time

Pros

Compensation plan, benefits, culture, leadership/management

Cons

Be used to change while working for this information technology company

Jan 22, 2018 – Zillow Group Representative

Thank you! You are right about being used to change- we like to take big swings and move fast. We are always learning how we can be better at managing change and being clear around the reasons for... More