Zillow Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 19, 2018

Full-timePart-time

4.2

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Promotes a healthy work /life balance (in 76 reviews)

• Free food catered in at least once a week (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • Very little work/life balance in sales positions (in 19 reviews)

• Zillow has been working hard to be more diverse and it is apparent in most of the department's, except for inside sales (in 11 reviews)

1. "Anonymous"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Zillow full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company is great to work for. As a seasoned sales professional I can tell you this is where you want to be. Yes, there are all the perks associated with a “start up” tech company, i.e free drinks/food. However, that should not determine anyone’s evaluation of a great place to work, although those things are certainly a plus. This is a highly innovative company that is staying ahead of the times. The CEO is probably one of the most down to earth executives you will ever meet. The NYC office has really great managers, Dave and Doug, who will go through great lengths to help you succeed. The expectations may be perceived as high, but they are truly realistic and not out of the norm, especially considering the return from the company. This is an amazing place to work with a very generous compensation plan, unheard of benefits, and many extra perks. It is a two way street, expectations are high, and the rewards are unlimited. For those who push to be successful, this company is the place.

Cons

No real cons. If there was one negative it would be lack of communication in some areas when it comes to change. However, this is being addressed and the company is very honest about its need to improve on this.

"Better Than I Imagined"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are wonderful and make sure you have what you need to be successful. The products themselves are great, and the entire company is focused on continuing to improve them. Leadership is very transparent. There is a lot of room for growth and/or internal mobility. The building in Seattle is beautiful with great views and location. Overall, the people here love what they do and genuinely care.

Cons

I'm going to gain weight from all of the free food that can be found around the office. However, there is a building gym and monthly reimbursement for gym memberships, among other great perks.

Advice to Management

Keep us focused on the core values, and keep dreaming up innovative ideas!

Zillow Response

May 7, 2018 – CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for the great review! Totally hear you on the free food. The candy wall is evil.

"Great Place to Work!"

I have been working at Zillow full-time

Pros

Working on exciting products that help both real estate professionals home buyers connect. Its a collaborative atmosphere that's always moving fast and a great culture.

Cons

Hard to keep up with the changes that are happening, but they are working on changing that.

4. "Great company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Challenging and fun
    Management cares and team members are supportive
    Interview process was fast and feedback was also prompt
    Respect the company

Cons

Too much free food jk
    It's hard to think of cons it's a great place to work
    I wish parking was better but what can you expect from downtown?
    Flexible work options such as working from home would be great

May 16, 2018 – CTO

Thank you for your comments and I am glad you are enjoying your experience as part of the Zillow Group team. We care so much about creating and growing an engaging, challenging and fun environment... More

5. "Director"

Current Employee - Associate Director in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Culture, benefits, cool projects and approchability of executive staff.

Cons

Hard to make as much money as a new hire if you have been here for a while in a non sales role. While the 360 annual review is amazing, for people who have moved up fast the financial opportunity is limiting over a long period of time.

Advice to Management

Pay your non sales folks market value so you don't loose them as the pay gap increases over the years.

Keep up the amazing work. Innovate, diversify, go global, think 5th horseman (referencing the book the Four).

"The next level of living; professional and personal"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It’s beyond inspiring to see senior leadership in the trenches with front-line sales on a regular basis!
    After nearly a decade at a “slow, dumb” corporation, my role at Zillow has allowed me to realize the joy of exceeding the high expectations that I’ve always held for myself as a sales professional.
    Along with the numerous career milestones achieved, my wife and I welcomed our second son to this beautiful world last year. The accommodation and peace of mind we had through the life changing experience was more than we could ever ask for, and has allowed us to set a strong foundation for our family’s future.

I look forward to many, many more “ZAnniversaries” with this brilliant organization, as we challenge each other to grow and evolve as professionals and contributing members of society.

Cons

Not a single negative experience in my first year of employment!

Advice to Management

Continue putting the greater vision of the organization at the forefront of the company's endeavors. It has obviously worked!

With a people first policy outlined with full transparency and a "team sport" mindset, I believe we at Zillow are just beginning to realize the potential of such a beautiful organization.

Zillow Response

Apr 23, 2018 – CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for the great review. It is great to see that you are having such a positive experience here.

7. "Dialing is key"

Current Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great office, snacks, benefits and salary

Cons

Upper management and processes can be improved.

Advice to Management

More 1on1 coaching should be exercised more often

May 8, 2018 – Senior Director - Inside Sales, Seattle

Thank you for taking the time to send over a review. I'm glad you like so many things about Zillow Group including the office, benefits and salary. If you would like to talk in more detail on how... More

"Great Company"

I have been working at Zillow full-time

Pros

- leadership
    - career development

Cons

none that I can think of

May 2, 2018 – CPO

Thanks for the feedback - especially that you see career development at Zillow Group. We are focused on helping put people in the best position to grow their careers everyday. If you ever have... More

9. "New Construction sales"

I have been working at Zillow full-time

Pros

Great group of people to work with
    Company is transparent
    Travel monthly
    Great work life balance

Cons

Training is almost non-existent
    Territories are not equal
    Expectations are not clear

Advice to Management

I would make sure that training is thorough and expectations are clear. Touching base on market trends would be helpful so that we continue transparency and solutions for specific territories.

May 7, 2018 – VP, Strategy & Operations

Thank you so much for your feedback. We love to hear that we can provide a great work life balance, but as you pointed out, there are areas where we would love to be able to improve. I’d love to... More

"I loved the job until I was 8 months pregnant"

Pros

Great office. Fairly good benefits.

Cons

I had a bad experience leading to me to decide to be resign. When I got pregnant, I worked with HR and got permission to take an additional 3 months unpaid in addition to the 4 months they give you paid. When I got to 8 months pregnant I was told there was a re-org. They decided to pull me off my job, but they would find something for me when I got back from maternity. In addition to this, when I was less than 2 weeks from my due date I was told by HR that they would not be allowing me to take the additional unpaid time. This is despite having it in written in email that I was given permission to have the time unpaid. Not knowing what I would be doing when I returned and being suddenly told that I could not take the unpaid time I was counting on lead me to resign. I loved this company. I am still a little heartbroken about how I was treated.

Advice to Management

Do what you promise.

May 2, 2018 – CPO

I am so sorry that you felt unfairly treated. We have worked hard to put a generous parental leave policy in place and manage it clearly and consistently. When it comes to unpaid leaves we work with... More