Zillow Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 12, 2017

2.9

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Zillow (Seattle, WA).

Interview

The hiring process was simple; phone screen with a recruiting manager and an onsite interview. 3 former recruiters who had formerly worked at my current company took their time to rant about their experience at my company. There was limited exchange or interest in what I could do, rather they vented about how awful their time was at my current employer. It was awkward and clear that they didn’t have any interest in speaking with or learning about me. Then they called me to tell me they didn’t feel like I wanted to continue my career path. I was surprised they extrapolated that info, given they shared nonstop about how much they dispised my company. It felt like a first date with a person who isn’t over their ex. I had to laugh— it was clearly an example of ‘interviews from hell.’

Interview Questions

Zillow Response

Oct 11, 2017 – VP, Recruiting

Hello and thank you for sharing your experience with us. When we interview someone who is in our same profession with shared experiences, we may take a more casual and candid approach in our... More

Senior Product Manager Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Zillow.

Interview

Recruiter screening which was going through my experiences and ensuring that I’m a fit

Hiring manager round was farcical as it ended within 10 minutes not willing to get into depth and showing that not working for that person was a blessing in disguise

Interview Questions

Zillow Response

Oct 9, 2017 – VP, Recruiting

Thank you so much for your feedback. I would like to get more details, if you are willing to share, as to why your experience was less than positive. If you are willing to email me with more... More

Sales Executive, Premier Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Centennial, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Zillow (Centennial, CO) in October 2017.

Interview

The initial phone interviews with a recruiter and sales manager were the only positive experiences. They were great to speak with and quite friendly. Anyways, I have a successful track record of selling online advertising space for real estate and business license(s) to real estate agents and owners. I also posses a real estate license and a have silver tongue. To say that I was qualified for the role is an understatement.

The feedback was that I was too "low energy" and that I didn't perform as well as they would have liked while role playing. Prior to my final on site interview I ran into a disastrous situation in attempting to get home from a long time planned family event. Three flight cancellations and numerous flight delays landed me back in Denver nearly 36 hours after I was supposed to arrive. This left me with less than 10 hours before my interview. I was stressed and under much duress. The last thing I wanted to do was reschedule the interview and figured making all 3 interviewers aware of the situation would help them understand. The feedback that I received felt like a slap in the face given my situation. I was the first to admit that I was not on my A game. I reiterated how much the role meant to me numerous times (hence why I didn't reschedule when I should have) and that I had honestly ran into an awful situation prior to the interview.

I signed an NDA as if we were actually going to discuss real business. Instead I felt like I was 16 years old again interviewing for a position at Abercrombie. What type of cereal best describes your personality? Why? type questions. The first gentleman that I interviewed with was a brick wall and I couldn't help but feel that he hated his life. Maybe its because of the office location. C'mon Zillow Group, you violated the first 3 rules of real estate with your site selection
    1. Location 2. Location 3. Location Have you not heard of DOWNTOWN DENVER or BOULDER? You picked the absolute worst location in the Denver Metro Area in back February of 2016. CENTENNIAL????? DTC AREA???? No amount of top golf or green Kool-Aid can make up for that move. I felt an acute sense of depression setting in as I neared the office location.

I did proceed to pick up " Zillow Talk: The New Rules of Real Estate" off my coffee table (I presume that I have read it more times than most in the office) after receiving the news and ripped it apart which felt great!

If you are an alpha, down to business, top performer I think that Zillow Group will really cramp your style. If you are a beta, ping pong during work, 5 figure settler that loves to kiss butt then I think Zillow Group would love to have you.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Zillow?   1 Answer

Data Analyst Interview

Interview

Phone screen from HR, and then a mini case test, and then the phone screen from hiring manager, and last the onsite interview. The whole process takes like about 1 months.

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Zillow (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Fairly straight forward and to the point. I had to nag them a little bit just to reassure that they would be on top of scheduling interviews and such. I can be rather impatient when it comes to those things, however.

Interview Questions

• Asked me why I thought I could be a good fit for their team and what not.   1 Answer

Associate Client Engagement Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Zillow (Denver, CO) in September 2017.

Interview

I wanted to share my experience on here because all of the other reviews on here really helped me prepare for my interviews!
    I was referred to the job by a current employee and I was almost immediately contacted by the recruiter to set up a phone interview. The phone interview lasted about 15 minutes and I was told more about the position, the pay, and the hours as well as asked a few questions. I was asked to come in for an onsite interview for the following week. The onsite interview lasted about 2 hours and I was interviewed by 2 team leads and 1 hiring manager. During the onsite interview, I was given a tour of the building as well which made me even more excited to hopefully start at this company.
    At the end of the onsite interview, I was told that the recruiter would contact me in the next few days. Well, a few days rolled around, then a week, then 9 days - I still hadn't heard anything. I finally got a call 10 days after my interview and was offered the position. I know I have read some reviews on here talking about how the recruiter took a long time to call when they were told it would be a few days. The recruiter told me there had been some things that had to be rearranged and that is why it took so long. So if it is taking a long time, just wait it out, they will call!

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Zillow? What do you know about the company?   Answer Question
    • How do you make repetitive work day fun?   Answer Question
    • Talk about a time when you worked as a team with others   Answer Question
    • Talk about a time, outside of your job, when you helped someone accomplish something that they wouldn't have been able to accomplish without your help   Answer Question
    • Why are you leaving your current job?   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Zillow (Irvine, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

1 phone screening, 1 phone interview and the 1 in person interview all within about a week. Everything seemed to go well during the interview, but then I did not hear back for from them until 2 weeks after final interview, only to be turned down.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a negative experience in your life that you had to overcome and how it changed you.   Answer Question

Sales Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Zillow (New York, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

I initially applied to Zillow in June 2017 and forgot all about it. However I was pleasantly surprised when I got an email from a recruiter in August asking for a phone interview.

I scheduled a phone interview through one recruiter however I talked to another recruiter. I should have known this wasn't going to work out because on the first phone screen the recruiter was 15 minutes late. I was still interested in learning more about the company so I did not let that bother me.

When the recruiter did call, it was more of a conversation. Which I liked and she said that I moved on to the next round with a phone call with the sales manager. I was super happy.

It a took a while to schedule the second phone interview, however when it was schedule I was told verbally and in the email that the interview would be at 11:30am EST.

I ended up getting a call at 11:00 am EST instead and it wasn't with the Sales Manager it was with the Sales Team lead. Although I was surprised about the sudden change of time, I was prepared and I was able continue with the interview.

I was then told that I would be coming in for an in person interview. Prior to the interview I contacted the recruiter and asked if I needed to bring any copies of my resume and I was told no. Something told me to bring some extra copies anyway.

Anyway, the office and the location of the office was awesome. It is by everything . There are three interviews. The first two are with sales managers and the last one is with the General Manager.

The first two interviews seem to go really well. They seemed impressed by my answers and I got a really positive vibe from them. They gave me a tour around the office and even let me listen in on a couple of sales calls as well. I definitely saw myself at this company.

The last interview with the General Manager was the hardest. After listening to some of the calls the GM came up to me asked for a copy of my resume. Thank goodness I didn't listen to the recruiter and I had a copy of my resume on me. At that point I was starting to think they were testing me to see if I was prepared all the time. It wasn't that his questions were hard to answer. It was his personality. He was very cold towards me also I'm not from NYC area so it was hard for me to understand him because he had that NYC accent. So I had to take a couple of pauses so that I could make sure I heard him correctly. Anyway he asked questions about the last company I worked with, I was asked to pitch, I was asked why should they hire me.

I was prepared for all of that. I left there feeling pretty confident and I was told that I would hear by the end of the week about my results. Friday came and I didn't receive anything. I didn't worry about it though because it was the start of Labor Day weekend.

After the weekend I emailed one of the recruiters twice and didn't hear back. I emailed another recruiter and she told me that I should hear something back by Friday EOD and If I don't give her call.

Again, I didn't hear anything so I gave her call. No one picked up the phone. I left a voice message and about 45 minutes after I received a call at 6:30 pm from another recruiter saying that they are so sorry they are calling me late but they decided to move on with other candidates and this was a decision that they made on Wednesday. Before I could ask him for any feedback he said that he didn't have any feedback for me but he can set up some time with me on Monday and give me some feedback. He didn't give me any contact information so I'm sure the feedback conversation will not happen. Also I still haven't received an automatic email saying they have decided to move forward with other candidates.

I'm not going sit here and say that I'm not upset about this whole process, because I am. It was disorganized and lacked communication on all ends. Also, I really wanted to work with Zillow.

I hope Zillow reads this review and use this to improve their hiring process. Communication and Organization is very important.

Interview Questions

• Why should we hire you? Are you competitive? What motivates you? Why sales?   Answer Question

Sep 12, 2017 – VP, Recruiting

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide feedback and I sincerely apologize for the less than ideal interview experience. At Zillow Group, one of our core values is ‘Turn on the Lights... More

Consumer Care Advocate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Zillow (Seattle, WA) in August 2017.

Interview

30 minute phone screen followed by an onsite interview with 2 team members. 1 hour total. They were very accommodating and comfortable. It took a week longer than expected for them to get back to me. Overall good experience.

Inside Sales Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Zillow (New York, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

extremely long, many emails, phone calls and face to face time- numerous times i was told that i was a perfect candidate, pushed me to the next part of the process- then a generic email saying they werent moving forward with me- no feedback, no reasons - poor way to manage the process

Interview Questions

• asked about my experience in cold calling   1 Answer

Sep 6, 2017 – VP, Recruiting

I'm sorry to hear that you felt your experience was less than positive. I do appreciate the feedback, as it allows my team and I to continue to fine tune our process to ensure experiences like this... More