Coupa Software Inc Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Coupa Software Inc Interview Questions

Updated Apr 19, 2017

2.7

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Coupa Software Inc.

Interview

After applying online, once they took interest the process was managed via jobvite. It consisted of a series of interviews in person and over the phone. There was a little bit of everything including skill assessment, alignment with company values, etc. As far as difficulty, I would say if you are fit it will be easy, if you are not, you'll have a hard time, which is why I said "average".
    The process was long but very organized. I was kept informed of where I stood.
    The hiring manager seemed keen on finding potential versus cookie cutter skills, which I really appreciated. I got a sense of a passionate team and a cool place to work. I was offered a different position than the one for which I applied, which is a much better fit.
    Overall an orderly and pleasant process.

Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Coupa Software Inc in January 2017.

Interview

Extremely disappointing. I submitted my resume online and a couple of days later a girl from HR reached out and asked if I had time to talk about the position. I live out of state. She asked what my availability is for the week. I replied saying I would be happy to talk about the role and gave her the days and timezone I can speak. She then replied "you're not from the area locally?" I told her no and stated the state and timezone I live in. She then replied where the job was based. I told her I would be willing to relocate if a position was offered. I received no response, but a couple days later I received an email saying I wasn't a qualified candidate for the role. The joke of all of this is that my address was not only on my cover letter and resume, but my profile for the company on their website. The only reason I was disqualified from the job was because I lived out of state. If Coupa only wants to hire locally for a role I suggest they say so on the job description like I've seen other companies do. It was extremely sloppy on HR"s part and can't believe this woman has a job. Not impressed.

Feb 22, 2017 – EVP People

Dear Candidate, Thank you for writing this review and bringing it to our attention. I’d like to first apologize for your negative experience with interviewing for this position. It appears there ... More

Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Coupa Software Inc (San Mateo, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Simple but got weird. The recruiter stated that I was well qualified, had all the credentials, experience and training that would allow the group to really benefit. Next step was to interview with the Manager. I said that would be great and looked forward to it. One, two, three weeks pass by and this guys was no where to be found. Called and caught him off guard on his lunch break and he gave some weird answer and excuse. I look at this as a blessing that I am not affiliated with such a person / firm. This person is an ambassador of the company he is recruiting for. Thanks but no thanks to Coupa.

Interview Questions

• What experience do you have in Customer Service?   1 Answer

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Coupa Software Inc (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

Contacted by Recruiter from Coupa. Coupa Recruiter held brief phone conversation with me and then referred me to Hiring Manager. Recruiter arranged interview with hiring manager, we talked and then a debrief with the recruiter followed.

Interview Questions

• How many years have you sold to companies with $x Revenue? What would your manager tell me about you if we were to speak? Are you married? Where does your spouse work? Do you have children? How old are your children?   Answer Question

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Coupa Software Inc (Reno, NV) in August 2016.

Interview

The interview process I experienced with Coupa was very smooth and easy. Coupa had a need for a support engineer in Reno, and I was contacted by a recruiter from Coupa and that they would like to setup an interview. Within one week, I had a phone interview and then the next week I had two in office interviews. One was a meeting with the director and the other with a team lead, who provided a fairly basic SQL scripting/competency test. I had an offer within just a couple of days after the 2nd in person interview. The entire process from first contact to job offer took no more than 2 weeks. It was a very quick and painless process. The on-boarding process after I started was also very streamlined, and I was very happy with the entire interview and hiring process at Coupa.

Interview Questions

• Basic interview questions followed by a technical competency exam   Answer Question

Nov 29, 2016 – Head of Global Talent Acquisition and Enablement

Welcome to Coupa and thanks for sharing your feedback! We take a great deal of pride in ensuring a world-class candidate experience. In fact, it's one our our top three priorities on the talent team ... More

Enterprise Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Coupa Software Inc (Philadelphia, PA) in June 2016.

Interview

We had to reschedule the interview several times due to scheduling conflicts. Pretty straightforward interview from the recruiter. Asked a lot about my background and my sales experience. He seemed a little rushed even though we rescheduled the interview to allow more time for it within his schedule. The next step identified was to meet with the Regional Sales Manager for a second interview. Overall, a decent experience.

Interview Questions

Coupa Software Inc Response

Jul 5, 2016 – Head of Global Talent Acquisition and Enablement

Thanks for taking the time to write your review. It is a very busy time here at Coupa which leads to everyone’s schedules constantly changing, so thank you for being flexible in moving your interview ... More

Software Developer In Test Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Coupa Software Inc in April 2016.

Interview

I was phone interviewed on the 3rd week in April. The interview went well. Firstly, the interviewer asked my background, project/work experience; then two easy coding questions about array and string. I answered all of them.

No feedback after waiting for 1 week.
    When I mailed them for the feedback, they just replied: "we do not have an appropriate position for you at this time".

Suck a waste of time.

Software Developer In Test Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Coupa Software Inc (San Mateo, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me from LinkedIn. No HR call, recruiter scheduled phone screen with developer for 30 minutes, he asked questions related Selenium, Ruby, Automation etc. It went well and got request for another phone screen after 1 week. this time It was with QA Manager and she asked questions related to Automation, some basic Ruby questions (what is module, instance variable..) I did pretty well and lasted for 45 minutes. They want candidate who can work on Automation and handle all their offshore teams, that doesn’t seem very interesting to me. Got a response from recruiter after a week that they don’t have position for me, Not sure what they are looking for. Such a waste of time!

Ruby Tech Lead/Engineering Manager Interview

Application

Interview

The whole experience was weird. Not good, not bad, but weird and frustrating at the very end.

I started my session with a nice friendly talk with 2 engineers to whom I think I established good rapport. Although no specific questions were asked it felt okay as it was the first hour, cultural fit probing, knowing me better etc. All went very well.

The second interviewer was of CxO ranks, he was interested in my previous experience and design decisions I made. What I did not like is that I felt that he was proposing better solutions (in his opinion) to the problems I faced before having obtained pretty limited context from a couple of minutes talking to me. Anyway the interview is the experience when you never know where your answers can lead you, which brings an element of surprise and some excitement :) Overall this hour was not bad too.

But the weirdest interview I had was the one with other 2 engineers. I started to answer the first question (pretty easy one in my opinion) but was interrupted "to go grab some lunch". We order sandwiches in a Cafe downstairs and while the sandwiches were being made the guys asked me barraged me with questions in the middle of a order pick up line full of people.
    I felt so uncomfortable having the interview in the middle of Cafe with dozen of strangers staring at you. I guess all the Cafe visitors knew and that time that these 2 guys were interviewing me.

Anyway, we grabbed our sandwiches and went back up to the conference room. I was pretty hungry amd expected that I would have a few minutes to each my lunch. So I stuffed my mouth full of food just to hear the next question. I can imagine that looked particularly ugly how I was answering questions having food in your mouth and sauce on my lips.

But it was not the worst thing. The worst thing was that the guys were quiet, grim and disengaged. They ate their food and was watching my "performance". They actually gave me a real problem to solve. The problem were pretty easy (see below). But having solved it I had a feeling that they were unhappy about that. This raised to me a second alert that something was not going well, that they were not actually interested in hiring me, regardless of what I could bring to the company. Typically interviewers try to help candidates, make them feel comfortable. Engaged interviewers like when a candidate solves the problem. It was clearly not I was experienced. I felt that interviewers actually expected me to fail, and were somewhat disappointed that I had not.

Also there was one hour interview with Senior Director of Product Management and Sr QA Manager (at the same time). They both asked questions from the area of their expertise. So I don't have opinion on this round. Hope that they heard from me what the wanted to hear.

As a final accord I had a nice talk with the hiring manager for the position I applied who was very helpful and pleasant to talk to. He helped me to build the precise picture of the company structure and the opportunity.

So, after 4 hours of "interrogation" I left Coupa's office with a thought that my overall performance on the interview was good enough for an offer, but my gut feeling was saying that something went aride with the whole hiring process and I should not expect a positive outcome. And it turned out to be right.

Now I can just guess whether I was too bad for them (which I honestly doubt) or they did not want to actually hire anybody due to some internal/political reasons or the interviewers were not on the same page as to what to expect from the candidate.

The worst part is that having invested pretty significant amount of personal time one expects to get a fair feedback (whether it is positive or negative as any negative feedback is a signal to improve in a particular area so it is very helpful). But I received just a "we are not interested" standard robomail. Even not personalized! There is literally no name of the author of this message! This is especially frustrating.

I regret that I took part in the round of interviews. I'd better ignored the initial message from Coupa's recruiter and found some better way to utilize my time.

Interview Questions

• Here is my list of questions and I will let you decided whether the are applicable to the position or now:

- what is AWS Lambda and DynamoDB
      - what are the ways to store sensitive customer information (question about encryption)
      - what is a "concern" in Ruby
      - coding exercise which was a slightly obscured problem of building computing permutations of a set
      - what's my take of versioning the APIs
      - a bunch of "people management" type of questions, which are very random and unspecific. Answers to most of such questions are disputable. So I don't think it makes sense to publish them here.
      Answer Question

Mar 28, 2016 – Head of Global Talent Acquisition and Enablement

We apologize for your interview experience. We will review this with the Engineering department as well as the Technical Recruiting team and will make necessary changes to improve our overall ... More

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Coupa Software Inc in March 2016.

Interview

I was initially contacted and interviewed by a third party company that Coupa hired to assist with the candidate identification and selection process. The interview went smoothly and I felt that the questions were appropriate for the position. The interviewer informed me that I had passed the initial screening and that someone from Coupa would reach out to continue the process. After a few weeks, I had not been contacted so I sent an email to follow up. I received an apology and a contact name and email with Coupa. After multiple subsequent emails to both Coupa and the third party company, I received no additional communication. Overall, I was confused and frustrated. I feel the lack of willingness to provide any indication of my standing in the candidate process or explanation of the situation was very unprofessional.