Dropbox User Operations Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Dropbox User Operations Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Dropbox

2.6

User Operations Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Dropbox.

Interview

Dropbox's hiring process is very quick and efficient. I applied via their website and Jobvite and was contacted by a recruiter within a week. I was asked to fill out a questionnaire with sample support questions for screening purposes. Upon successful review, the recruiter contacted me again and was notified for a phone interview. I got through two rounds of phone interviews, but unfortunately wasn't invited for an in-person interview.

All in all, their team is very friendly and seem to be on top of their game. I do wish that I had more of a chance to demonstrate what I'm capable of, but with a company like Dropbox and all the applications it gets, it's understandable that they can't dedicate too much time to studying each individual candidate. They're doing great things and I wish them all the best.

Interview Questions

• What would you change about the product?   1 Answer
  • What do you see Dropbox becoming in the next 5 years?   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Dropbox

User Operations Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Dropbox in December 2012.

Interview

Two phone interviews about three days apart that went really well. Then they asked me if I could fly out the next week. I agreed, and they pit me in a very nice hotel. I had 4 onsite interviews. The first two were with two people each, and the second two were with one person each. I felt very comfortable, and I felt the interviews went well. Obviously, they did t go well enough. :/

Interview Questions

• If someone came in right now and announced that the zombie apocalypse had just started put side, what would you do in the next hour?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Dropbox (San Francisco, CA) in February 2013.

Interview

Connected with a recruiter at a university recruiting fair and sent in my resume. Completed a homework assignment (sample user tickets) and had two phone interviews. Was then invited to fly out to CA to interview with their team in person. They covered all the expenses and the experience while at the offices was great--people were very friendly, helpful, and wanted to give me as many opportunities to get to know them as they wanted to get to know me. Had six interviews with people from various teams (not just User Ops) spread over two days. Heard back from them a week later with their decision.

Interview Questions

• How would you explain to a six year old, who has no idea how to do multiplication or division, why 11 is a prime number but 9 is not? What about 3?   1 Answer
    • What new feature would you suggest for--not the Silicon Valley Dropbox user but--the average user?   Answer Question

User Operations Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Dropbox in February 2013.

Interview

I was referred through a friend of a friend. After initial email correspondence, I had a ~30 minute Skype interview with a User Ops Engineer. I then had a 2nd phone interview with another User Ops Engineer. Both had been on the team for around 2 years and were very experienced. After the 2nd interview, they said they would not be moving forward.

Interview Questions

• How could Dropbox be improved?   1 Answer

User Operations Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Dropbox.

Interview

I was contacted by someone from their operations team and asked to fill out an online questionnaire as an initial screen. Following that, I had a phone interview with a member of their ops team. The interview was just generic questions about the use of Dropbox and what features can make it better. Overall, the interview was easy but I didn't get moved forward because the job did not fit with what I was looking for.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 2 years?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Dropbox (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Dropbox recruited at my school. I had an interview with 2 guys at my school. A week later they invited to their San Francisco office for an onsite interview. They paid for all my expenses. The day of the interview they gave me a quick tour of the whole office and then I had 2 different interviews both with 2 people.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Dropbox (San Francisco, CA) in January 2013.

Interview

I applied on jobVite and got email to schedule a phone interview after few months. The interviewer asked me brain teasers. I wasn't very interested in the job after hearing the brain teasers.

Interview Questions

• How would an ant get to another side?   1 Answer

User Operations Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Dropbox.

Interview

Started off with an online questionnaire regarding the role, some basic questions about how Dropbox would fit in different worlds (the toaster question mentioned below) along with some examples of how to write support emails and finding errors/flaws in ones that exist.

From there, I got a phone call which was a basic phone screen, some more basic questions, mostly behavioural about why I was interested in the role.

Interview Questions

• Lots of questions had to deal with improving Dropbox or how you would handle an error with the product, so be sure to be very familiar with Dropbox itself.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Dropbox (Austin, TX) in October 2013.

Interview

Next, I was flown to Austin on pretty short notice (under a week) for a 4 in person interviews, each lasted 30 minutes. Everyone was extremely friendly and very excited about Dropbox being in Austin. Most of the questions were related to the role again, how would I solve this kind of error, and a few brain teasers.

After that, I had an interview with the head of the department and then with a co-founder of Dropbox. More of the same in terms of questions.

Overall, the experience was awesome, everyone seemed extremely excited to be working for Dropbox and the recruiters were extremely responsive in setting things up.

User Operations Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Dropbox.

Interview

Dropbox initially contacted me saying they would schedule a interview with me after I filled out a questionnaire. After I submitted the questionnaire, however, I got an e-mail shortly thereafter saying Dropbox and I "were not a match" and that they appreciated me taking the extra time to get to know them. It was only after I responded to the email by thanking them for the opportunity that I received a follow-up email saying, "Our system misfired and sent you a rejection :/". This second email said that Dropbox would like to fly me out to SF for a final round interview (despite the fact that I had not yet had a single interview). Before I could send any response correcting them, I got yet another email with almost the exact same formatting except with the following text: "The next step is a call and then an interview in SF for a final round :-) (ack technology!)". The phrase "ack technology" was not something I ever expected to hear from a representative of a file hosting service. But in any event, I continued with the interview process.

My first interview was scheduled, but on the day of the interview, my HR representative emailed me saying that she did not realize my interviewer would not actually be at work that day. Finally, my interview was rescheduled and I had a reasonably short interview filled with quirky but non-technical questions (see question listed). Unfortunately, I received an email a few days later rejecting me from the position; however, the kicker was that it was the exact same email I had received after filling out my questionnaire. Dropbox needs to understand that their HR department is an important part of the company's image and that, at the moment, the department is reflecting very poorly on the company.

Interview Questions

• "You come across a magic stone that has the ability to give a friend of yours a magic power. Who would you give a magic power, what power would you give, and why?"   Answer Question