Dropbox Web Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Dropbox Web Developer Interview Questions

Interviews at Dropbox

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scotts Valley, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Dropbox (Scotts Valley, CA).

Interview

I had a very positive interview process at Dropbox. I was contacted by a recruiter and made it through a phone screen and 2 technical interviews before being informed that I would no longer be considered for the position.

All of the recruiters were very friendly and punctual and respected my schedule. The technical interviews were fair and the interviewers were very down-to-earth and supportive.

Having never applied in the first place, I wasn't too upset about the outcome, I mostly felt grateful for the interview practice. I'm happy for anybody who gets the chance to work at Dropbox!

Interview Questions

• Build a weather app.   1 Answer
  • Write a single function to format 10 strings to a spec based on the input strings' length and content, and any arguments passed to the function.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Dropbox

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Dropbox (San Francisco, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

Very short phone interview that cut straight to the chase. The recruiter was not really interested in my background and motivation to join Dropbox. I was asked a some technical questions and was then told I'd get a 1h technical interview.
    I got an interview confirmed for Monday morning on Sunday at 8pm. The email linked to some interview preparation documents that I wasn't given access to so I couldn't prepare for the interview, the only information I had was that it would be JS.
    The interview was over phone and using a shared pen on Codepen.
    There was a cross origin error for me with the API endpoint and spent most of the hour trying to fix that.
    The next day I got rejected from all positions I'd applied to.

Interview Questions

• Use api data to create a webpage after specifications.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Dropbox (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Overall the interview process was quick and the recruiter/interviewers were pleasant to talk to. Though the engineers were excited by the direct impact that they were making to the company, none of them expressed any enthusiasm for the actual work that they were doing.

I did have trouble with one of the technical interviewers, whose question (described below) as posed did not logically lead to the answer he was looking for (in my opinion). He was looking for usage of a very specific data structure, but the "correct" answer he gave is not good design given the question as stated. The question would have been better as a systems or API design question. Also he was too eager in giving hints that were ambiguously misleading and didn't give the candidate a chance to think. My advice to the interviewer is to rephrase the question in a better way, give the candidate some time to process and/or try different solutions, and give more helpful, direct hints only if the candidate is truly stuck, instead of smothering the candidate with unhelpful and vague leading questions that steer the candidate away from the "correct" answer.

Interview Questions

• You want to log the number of hits to a site. Implement two functions, log_hit() which gets called when a hit is registered, and get_hits_in_last_five_minutes() which returns the total number of hits in the last five minutes.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Dropbox (San Francisco, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

Applied through a referral. A recruiter reached out to me and set up a phone screen which I chose to do onsite. This consisted of 2 interviews, 1 hour each. One involved fetching some data from a server and creating some DOM based on a spec; the other involved creating a pixel perfect UI based on a spec.

I came back for a full onsite a few days later. Met with lots of people in a 1:1 setting. Treated to lunch, several behavioral/culture-fit interviews, and a couple more technicals very similar to the first round. Most of the interviewers were pretty nice (one was quite weird) and I enjoyed the experience.

Cons: I wish the interview panel was more diverse. Majority was young white males. Also, I did get the impression that the company is experiencing growing pains as others have noted on here.

I didn't hear back for a few days, followed up with the recruiter who let me know they weren't moving forward. She couldn't give feedback. Minor bummer but it worked out in the end.

Interview Questions

• Recreate a UI using HTML/CSS as exactly as possible, given a spec.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Dropbox (San Francisco, CA) in November 2018.

Interview

The interview process consisted of a 1 hour conversation with a technical recruiter to understand my background and whether or not my experience matched what they were looking for. The second portion was a phone screen requiring a live-coding build of a weather API that needed to be matched to a spec. Finally, they invited me to an in-person interview that lasted 7 hours with 4 technical coding challenges, a culture fit interview, manager interview, and team lead interview, each lasting an hour long. I was never told what specific team I was interviewing for until I got there.

The phone screen went very well, the interviewer was responsive, kind, helpful and made me feel at ease. After the phone screen, they got back to me within 24 hours to let me know that they were moving me to the next steps. I was looking forward to my in-person interview because of how kind that interviewer had been, however I was very wrong.

The in-person interview was horrible, disappointing, and discouraging. Nearly every interviewer showed up late, and one didn't even bother to show up at all so they had to quickly find a replacement cutting into my interview time.

For my lunch interview, the food was awesome, but the interviewer was on his phone the entire time and didn't ask me a single question. I had to carry the entire interview asking him questions in between the time he checked his phone. He clearly had other things on his mind.

The hiring manager didn't ask me a single question because it was 'my opportunity to ask questions.' However he made it clear that he wanted to be doing other things and made me incredibly uncomfortable because our conversation wasn't natural, it was one-sided and it's hard to talk to someone that doesn't talk back to you without feeling like you're rambling.

For one coding question, the interviewer wasn't even watching me code which was obvious when I asked a question about how to proceed and was told 'hang on, let me go back to the code' so I'm not sure how she gave me feedback when he wasn't paying attention.

The other technical interviewer was nice enough, but clearly not trained on the question. This person had never seen CSS grid before and was also unhelpful giving feedback during the question because I don't think this person understood the question themselves.

Another interviewer was great, other than making the comment that 'I just got back from vacation and am really tired and don't know if I'll be a good interviewer right now, but I'll do my best'. This was my best interview, the interviewer was helpful, responsive, professional, and kind, just tired. This was my favorite out of all of the interviews because the interviewer was present and helped engage in a dialogue.

The final technical interviewer didn't contribute much, this person just sat, watched me code, asked if I had any questions and left the room. He neglected to tell me that it was an open-book interview, so my performance could have improved.

The culture fit interview was extremely uncomfortable because neither interviewer made eye contact with me during the entire conversation because they were too busy trying to type every word I said. It's very difficult to talk to people that don't look at you. They also assumed they knew my answers by saying 'I think I know what you'll say because you touched on it before but I'll let you answer anyway'.

The worst part was that I was only let go to the bathroom once in 7 hours and I was never offered water, except for at lunch. Their treatment of humans is inhumane and I didn't appreciate how disrespectful they were, especially for a company that promotes and encourages diversity and fair treatment of people. Their on-site interview was one of the most exhausting things I've ever done in my entire life.

I sent a thank you but didn't hear back until I reached out to the recruiter a couple of weeks after the interview. I was rejected me in an unprofessional, short email that didn't use proper grammar or punctuation. I was offered feedback, but when I tried to schedule a time to hear the feedback, they never responded. If you don't want to give people feedback, don't offer.

I know other people that have had positive interview experiences with Dropbox, however I'll never apply there again because I have such a negative impression of their company culture and how they disregard people. Their interview process was over 10 hours total and the treated me like I was a burden to them when in reality they were being paid to interview me, I wasn't being paid or treated well to interview with them.

I don't think my experience is representative of every interview at Dropbox, they make a good product and must have good people working on it. However the team that I interviewed for was terrible so if you're not interviewing for a web dev position, you'll probably have a better experience.

Interview Questions

• Build a webpage to meet a given specification. Build a photo gallery. String Manipulation. Build a Weather API.   Answer Question

Dropbox Response

Mar 13, 2019 – Talent Brand Team

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. First off, I’m incredibly sorry to hear about your poor interview experience. We pride ourselves on delivering great candidate experience, and it sounds... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Dropbox (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

The interview process was overall pleasant and the person that I spoke with was knowledgeable and professional.
    We had a 30 minute conversation discussing myself, the role and the company in general, then 30 minutes code challenge on Codepen.

The job description was a little different from the actual role, which was a bit confusing.
    Overall positive experience.

Interview Questions

• Build HTML and CSS from an image, general layout questions, best practices.   Answer Question
    • Interact with JSON data from an api, to include data in the DOM. Question also included general javascript functions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Dropbox (San Francisco, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

I had a good communication with the recruiter and my phone interview went pretty well as well. The interviewer was constantly appreciating me and praising me at the end of the interview. I felt like I'd get selected for the next round but guess what?! I got a rejection email about 15 mins later. I was never so mad after having a fairly good interview. I solved coding test pretty well and the interviewer praised me so much. He should not have given the wrong impression by doing that. He should have just sounded mediocre and ended the interview if he did not like me. That wasn't nice. For this reason, I lost all respect and liking for dropbox. It's not a good practice to create false impressions.