Exelis Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.5

Sort:

Associate Business Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Exelis (Rochester, NY) in April 2009.

Interview

I did a phone screen first with the hiring manager. A week later, we arranged an on-site interview. The on-site interview consisted of 45 minute interviews with the engineering manager I would support, the group manager (his boss), the group finance manager (hiring manager's boss), an HR hiring specialist and the hiring manager. The HR specialist seemed concerned that the hiring manager had screened me without her input and so put me through a somewhat brusk behavioral interview.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you would fit in with the firm? (it doesn't seem like a difficult question by the words spoken, but you had to hear the HR specialist's tone of voice and see her body language asking it.)   1 Answer

Negotiation

Negotiated salary and personal time off (vacation + sick leave).

Junior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Exelis (Herndon, VA) in February 2014.

Interview

Team was very professional and a pleasure to speak to. Interview process was not intense or difficult for a trained developer. Recruiter/HR was pleasant to talk to.
    Process was e-mail and phone calls with recruiter (filtering applicants) followed by back-to-back interviews with 3 team members.

Any Available Interview

Anonymous Employee in Roanoke, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Exelis (Roanoke, VA).

Interview

was interviewed at one time by 10 supervisors, with each having their own questions. they were very professional, and took notes of the answers. they did ask personal questions about home life. discussed the working hours and would overtime be a problem. they ask about transportation and dependability because i have children. have to be able to obtain a security clearance, so there are background including financial history.

Interview Questions

• why i wanted to work there, personal questions for security clearance, dependability,experience,ability of hours to work and ift.   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Exelis (Colorado Springs, CO) in May 2014.

Interview

Prior to the interview, I had to submit to a drug test, if you don't pass the test you won't even get an interview (they pay for the test of course). Passing this they invite you to the facility for an interview. Note that these are secure facilities with 24/7 onsite security and entry control systems. So be mindful of what you bring, if you forget something, it will be exceptionally difficult to get it back. Once in, they took me to a conference room where I met with two other engineers. Whole interview lasted about an hour.

Interview Questions

• They asked about classes I had taken and how that material applied to what they were doing.   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bowie, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Exelis (Bowie, MD) in January 2010.

Interview

phone interview
    interview: they asked technical questions.
    drug test
    background check
    accept

Interview Questions

• how do you reverse a string?   2 Answers
    • Do you know anything about Spectrum Management?   1 Answer

Senior Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colorado Springs, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Exelis (Colorado Springs, CO) in January 2012.

Interview

phone call for interview.
    filled out online app.
    1.5 hour panel interview.
    Told they would get back to me in about a week after other applicants were interviewed.
    recieved email 3 month later that req was closed with no one hired.

Interview Questions

• how do you supervise engineers?   1 Answer
    • what did you like least about your previous work enviornment.   1 Answer

Buyer I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Exelis.

Interview

I applied online, received an e-mail response to complete another (different) application, returned the application online, accepted an interview offer via e-mail from an HR rep, and then attended the interview with the Manager (in-person) and her supervisor (on speaker phone). We went over my experience in detail. They explained about the history of the company, the structure of the organization and the future direction. The people in the building were all warm and friendly. The dress was business casual and I felt quite overdressed, but I think it is expected for an interview. The interview went on in an informal way and then I asked some questions and gave my summary. The manager on the phone exited the interview and the Supervisor took me to meet my potential co-workers. The building was old and dark, but the environment still seemed pleasant. I know that they are building a new facility soon as well. I was told that a decision would be reached hopefully no later than Monday. When I followed up with HR after Monday had passed, I was told there were still some approvals to go through before they could send an offer to the selected candidate. Almost two weeks after the interview, I received an offer letter via e-mail.

Interview Questions

• The manager on the phone asked, "What was a success that I was particularly proud of?" and "What is the one reason you love working in this field?"   Answer Question

Negotiation

I tried to negotiate for 9% more salary and a few extra vacation days but they held firm and I accepted as it was. I am not disappointed by the salary, but negotiation is a requirement for this profession, so I figured they might be disappointed if I didn't even try. It all took place over e-mail, unfortunately, since the HR manager was on vacation.

Middle Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Wayne, IN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Exelis (Fort Wayne, IN) in October 2010.

Interview

The hiring manager did not ask any significant questions. The internal psychologist conducted the interview which I thought was strange. He read fro a canned list of questions. They no longer use this technique but instead try to get hiring managers in the work area as well as neghboring work groups to conduct interviews.

ADPE Technician Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Exelis.

Interview

Once email contact has been established, a brief phone interview takes place. After that, an offer letter will be submitted via email along with a packet to complete, including various things such as medical screening, physical, optical, dental, clearance, passport, etc. information/requests.

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult questions. I think the most complicated thing I had to answer is what the acronym "DHCP" stood for.   2 Answers

Negotiation

There was no negotiation:
    Coming from the Marines to the following offer:
    $25.26 per hour
    60 hours per week
    70% uplift on the first 40 hours of the work week
    $3,000 sign on bonus
    $3,000 travel bonus
    $16,000 completion bonus (of 12 months)
    = $137,589.76 per year

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Exelis in October 2013.

Interview

Very good interview. The hiring manager knew exactly what he was looking for. My experience and background, alone with my responses were helped me get a foot in. Having prior military experience also paid off a great deal, as I was was looking for a position as a government contractor.

Interview Questions

• What did I dislike most about working as a subcontractor under another company with the big contract.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not negotiable.