ExxonMobil Software Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 13, 2017

2.8

5 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Houston, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

Started with a 1-on-1 in-person interview. Covered behavioral/situational questions. Very straightforward, traditional interview.

They flew me out on Thursday morning. That night we had dinner with some newish employees who showed us around the town and talked about what the first few years on the job look like. Informal and fun.

Friday morning we were driven to the ExxonMobil campus for breakfast and then we had three 50-minute one-on-one interviews. Social lunch w interviewers then we went on a tour of campus and then flew home

My 3 main interviews went behavioral-technical-behavioral. Questions were recycled between the very first interview and these two behavioral interviews. A couple questions were asked word-for-word in all three. Technical interview was on a whiteboard.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had to complete a task and had missing information
    Describe a time you got too much credit for a group effort
    Describe a time the direction/priorities of your project shifted dramatically, how did you react?
    Describe a situation where your work was being closely monitored, did you work well in that environment?
    etc, etc, the behavioral questions were all "describe a time when.."

Describe pointers vs references in C++
    Write FizzBuzz (lol classic)
    Write code to find the one missing number in an unsorted list of n-1 numbers from 1 to n
    Write an expression that will return all filenames ending with .txt (looking for a regex answer)
    Describe polymorphism in the context of OOP   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for ExxonMobil

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2016.

Interview

Recruiters came to campus and did on campus interviews. Only one round of interviews and included behavioural questions and no technical questions. Never got any feedback on the process after the interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Houston, TX) in September 2010.

Interview

General Behavioral interview. Took us into a room and briefed us on what the interview would be like, then individually we went and interviewed with a recruiter. Very laid back interview, my interviewer had gone to the same college as me. Everyone was very friendly and open, and relaxed and had a good time.

Interview Questions

• What is one thing in the past year that has made you change how you view things in life?   Answer Question
    • What is the last project you worked on with a team, and how did it go?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Bengaluru (India)) in August 2017.

Interview

1st round : Telephonic: Purely technical. asked conceptual questions on the basics of your language of choice. Once that was cleared they called for F2F interview in Bangalore office. In F2F Interview there were 2 rounds. 1: Techincal round : 2nd Round behavorial.
    Followed up background verification & medical test which took place a month later.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

heard about the position from a recruiter. The role was with Exxon Mobil Upstream research. It was for developing a complex e&p model. I had an hour long technical phone screen asking general object oriented and other software development questions. I was called back to come in for an in person interview. I expected business domain questions as well as discussion of the team or the project. I received another technical screening with no detail about the specific work. The onsite interview started with five standard behavioral questions that "hr wanted us to ask" It continued with implementing the fizzbuzz program and dicusssion of graph traversal. The interview promptly ended at the hour mark without anytime for me to ask questions

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time where you came up with a creative solution to a problem   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time where you solved a difficult problem   Answer Question

I had another offer.