FDIC Interview Questions | Glassdoor

FDIC Interview Questions

Updated Jun 10, 2017

2.9

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at FDIC (Arlington, VA) in June 2017.

Interview

I completed the application via USAjobs.gov and received a phone call inviting me to attend the applicant assessment event that was scheduled about 2 weeks out. The event was very well planned and executed. The activities followed the schedule that was emailed in advance of the event, so you will know what to expect. You could tell the FDIC wanted to impress the applicants and convey how special the agency is, in general and especially for a government agency. There will be a lot of FDIC staff present. I suggest that you chat with them when you get the chance to gain a great deal of insight into the agency and the position. There will be several staff there who went through the CEP program.
    Once the event officially begins, you don't get much down time, so you have to be "on" all the time. I found that to be the most difficult part. I'm not suggesting that you should be phony, but this is an interview event. Be yourself but be professional. You'll be assigned to a group once you check in and this will be your group for the duration of the event. You go from activity to activity together and even eat meals as a group. If you want to see DC, your only opportunity will be the day you arrive, before the event officially starts, and on the second day after the interviews have been completed. There is a reception and dinner the first night where you will have the chance to network with the people who will be on your business analysis and interview panels. Make use of that opportunity and seek them out!
    The actual assessments aren't very difficult at all and in truth, I don't think you can really prepare in advance for them. The information/knowledge you need is VERY basic. It's just managing the time constraints and doing your best with what you're given. Listen to what the staff tells you to help you prepare. You will have plenty of chances to ask them questions and they encourage it. They were constantly asking if we had questions about what was coming up. Their advice is spot on. They want everyone to be as successful as they can be. And no, they will not tell you anything specific regarding the actual assessments. And yes, we asked many times :)
    The interview questions weren't difficult. They just have multiple parts. Be sure to answer all the parts. Ask them to repeat the question and write the parts down. This is the same advice your recruiters will tell you. LISTEN TO YOUR RECRUITERS!!!! The questions are behavior based. Use STAR, CAR, or whatever other acronym your university's career center uses to formulate your answers.
    All in all it was a great event. The food was fantastic! All of the staff I met were very nice and willing to talk to us even if they were assigned to different groups or regions and seemed to enjoy talking to us. Be yourself. Show that you are someone who works well on a team, can communicate well, and are pleasant to be around.

Interview Questions

• As part of the process, you agree to not share specifics. The questions are standard behavior based interview questions. There were no difficult or unexpected questions asked.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at FDIC (Arlington, VA) in June 2017.

Interview

Read the interview report from June 9th- it's spot on. Relax, be yourself, and trust that your recruiters are on your side. Don't pass up the networking opportunities, and try not to let the down time add to your stress level (somewhat impossible).

Interview Questions

• Questions are not difficult, it's how you respond to them that really matters. Non-disclosure of assessments and process prevents further elaboration.   Answer Question

Financial Instituion Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at FDIC.

Interview

3-day interview in Washington, DC. There was a writing assignment, accounting test, and two separate panel interviews. They ask you questions about your prior experience and how you responded to certain situations.

Examiner - New York Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at FDIC (Arlington, VA) in February 2017.

Interview

From the time you apply for a position and to the time when you hear back from the HR (assuming you passed the first screening process and your application got referred to the hiring individual), expect about 3 to 6 months to pass. Once you're over that hurdle, next comes the interview and if you pass the interview, which is pretty easy, then wait another 3 months.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to join the FDIC?
      Questions mostly based on job background.
      1 Answer

Loan Review Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at FDIC (Columbus, OH).

Interview

Structured interview by a panel followed by case study to determine financial and operational loan risks. About 30 minutes were allowed for independent work on the case study. The interview proceeded with questions about the case. Background check and fingerprinting is required. No drug test was required. Reimbursement for mileage to and from the interview was provided.

Interview Questions

• Questions were designed to learn the candidate's experience and how difficult situations were handled. Emphasis was on leadership skills and abilities being utilized in those situations.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at FDIC in December 2016.

Interview

I applied via email at the beginning of November, got a call for an interview close to the end of December.

It was a fairly standard interview for a research assistant position, mostly asking about statistical work I had done and my findings. They did ask a few more detailed questions about my work than I was expecting, but I think I was just used to easier interviews in the past. The whole interview was about an hour, with some behavioral questions, but mostly just asking about the process I took in my previous statistical work.

Interview Questions

• What kind of data did you use in this particular project? What variables were in your equation?   Answer Question

DRR Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at FDIC (Jacksonville, FL).

Interview

The interview process was with a panel of 3-5 interviewers. The process was pretty simple. Each member of the panel asked at least one question. The questions were very thought provoking, but great questions. I walked away from the interview feeling very confident. The panel members conducted themselves in a very professional manner but were kind as well.

Financial Management Scholar Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at FDIC (Boston, MA).

Interview

The interview was four behavioral questions about initiative, teamwork, and leadership. They read me the job description verbatim from the job posting, told me they'd ask four questions, and left room at the end for follow up questions. It is a little intimidating as there is no feedback given during the interview. They do allow time for you to think about a response, as well as time for them to take notes when you're finished answering. Prepare answers to the questions on here and you'll be able to adapt them to the questions you're asked. I recommend tailoring the questions to the skills they're looking for. For example, sneak a teamwork skill into the initiative question. Also remember, if you present a problem that you faced in a certain situation, tell them how you've fixed it or are working to fix it. Good luck!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you took initiative that led to conducting research on a particular matter.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you faced a challenge in a team and how your resolved the challenge.   Answer Question

Consumer Affairs Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at FDIC.

Interview

Applied in April, attended panel interview beginning of May, received tentative job offer, did equip and fingerprint. Received LOI about some stuff on my credit report, I responded and now I'm waiting on a determination to be made from my LOI response and preliminary clearance before I get a start date.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiations have been made yet, I have not gotten my final offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at FDIC (Arlington, VA) in June 2016.

Interview

This process is not as demanding as expected. You are given ample time to prepare for the interviews and assessments. Really all you need to do is be yourself and show them why you should be hired. There will be a lot of people there who won't get hired in a million years, but are there for race, age, gender etc reasons. Be likable and be willing to help during the team assessment.

Interview Questions

• I signed a confidentiality agreement. Other people have broken this. Look at theirs. Advice is to come up with a story for each question. Let them really understand your skills.   Answer Question