FireEye Software Engineer Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

FireEye Software Engineer Intern Interview Questions

Interviews at FireEye

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at FireEye (Milpitas, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

Soon after applying, the process began with an online test consisting of multiple choice questions. The questions were pretty simple, but atleast in my case they were mostly related to networking which at the time I had little to no experience with, so I didn't do very well. Since none of the questions really tested my programming ability, I emailed them about it asking if I could do some kind of a challenge, and it turned out that this test was more of a baseline assessment rather than a qualifier.

A few weeks later I got a call from a recruiter on their university relations team, and after some general questions about my interests etc they scheduled a call with the hiring manager for the open position. On that call I was told about FireEye and the position, and they wanted me to talk about the projects that I listed on my resume. I was pretty nervous this time (I got the idea that the manager was a technical person, so I tried to present things so that the technical difficulty of my projects would be apparent, while keeping it meaningful), and I would suggest to write down some key things about your projects if you aren't used to discussing them. I was told that a technical interview would be arranged, which took place about 2 weeks afterwards.

I was struggling with voice quality on the technical interview, on my end it sounded like we were using walkie-talkies, but fortunately the interviewer could hear me fine. I'd suggest arranging this interview to be done on Skype or Google Hangouts, so you won't have to ask the person on the other end to repeat themselves constantly if you run into problems like I did. After the interviewer had introduced himself and his role, I told a little bit about myself, and then it was time to talk about my projects again. The interviewer asked some extremely relevant questions about the main project that I was talking about (important security related issues that people building similar programs have actually had to resolve). I was pretty surprised by this, and although I was able to answer those questions, in a more comfortable situation I would've been able to talk about it all day. While keeping the theme of my project, he changed the context a bit so that he could ask networking related questions. There were two simple data structures questions, but no grilling with algorithm design etc (which had me worried, since I feel like problem solving would be my most marketable skill). With that in mind, I wouldn't spend time worrying about your trees and complexities, in hindsight it seems that they mostly wanted to test if you seem like a person they'll be able to teach, and if you're able to communicate well (if there was something I couldn't answer on the interview, I said so, and I imagine that is how they'd want you to go about it on the job, rather than just quietly struggling for the duration of your internship).

Overall a great experience, communication with the university recruiter was very swift, and both the hiring manager and the technical interviewer (who is the lead developer on the team that the intern position is for) were polite and seemed genuinely interested.

Interview Questions

• What does it mean that HTTP is stateless (going back to the call quality issues, I had to ask him to repeat himself about 4 times, until he virtually spelled it out)   1 Answer

Negotiation

The package is very good and I did not negotiate, however they do ask about other offers you may have standing.

Other Interview Reviews for FireEye

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at FireEye (Milpitas, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

After I applied online for a technical position, I received many mails for online assessments for various positions. After the screening, I received a call for phone interview, which was a 2 part interview. One with the hiring manager and another with a technical person. The interview was smooth, the interviewers were very friendly and after about 2 weeks I received a call telling I was selected. But there was an initial glitch about receiving the offer letter through mail, but the HR was in constant touch with me and readily available to answer all my queries.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

The hourly rate offered was good for an Intern