Harvard University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Harvard University Interview Questions

Updated Jun 13, 2018

2.8

Intern Interview

Interview

There was only one round. Very easy, straightforward question. Nothing technical or trying to give you hard time. Lasted around 40 mins. I met all my colleages and boss.

Director, Operations I-Lab Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Harvard University.

Interview

Phone screen with a third party company. The call only lasted about 30 minutes and was very focused on asking me several questions. They were looking for someone who had experience with startups and the venture capital community.

Interview Questions

• What facilities experience did I have? Who do you know in the Venture Capital industry.   Answer Question

Volunteer Applications Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Harvard University (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

I submitted my application late February

1) Did a HR phone screening in early March
    2) First round of interviews with 3 people for a half hour each: 1 Skype interview with HR; 2 with members of the team.
    3) Did a 2 page case study
    4) Second round of interviews with 2 people for half hour each: 1 with HR; 1 with a different member of the team
    5) Had to submit 5 professional references. In my case I submitted 6.
    6) Received a conditional offer letter on the final day in April while final background checks were being done.
    7)Received a final offer letter a week later once final background checks were completed.

Interview Questions

• What skills and experiences would you bring to this position?   Answer Question

Interview

Had a phone interview with the site director and then an in-person hands-on trial... basically helping to staff one of the off-season events for an hour, so the director could see how I interacted with the kids. I got a verbal offer and then it was followed up with written contract etc.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Harvard University (New York, NY) in February 2018.

Interview

just had the Skype interview, I had talked with two professors in the Department of Radiology. The whole process was just in one hour. They ask some projects I have done in details and shared some details of the project.

Staff Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 9+ months. I interviewed at Harvard University (Cambridge, MA) in February 2018.

Interview

I’ve been trying to get a job at Harvard for almost three years and every time I think it’s finally going to happen they end up going with someone else. Last year I figured I’d try to get my foot in the door by temping, so I accepted a three month long assignment that paid $14/hr, hoping it would be an investment...

After three months, the person I was covering for came back. But I was thrilled when the department called me back a month later, asking me to fill in again. It turned out the original person left for good, so there was now an open position available!

I truly thought this was my lucky break, since they requested me back for the same role that was now open. But whenever I asked about the timeframe to actually be hired, they would just say they’re not sure what the new role will look like and that I should basically treat every day like an audition for the job. This went on for three months (so by now I was there for a total of six months and getting more and more stressed).

After they maxed out the time they could keep me as a temp, they decided to make me a Term employee for three months, hyping it up to seem like a huge success. But whenever I asked my supervisor for projects that would allow me to leave a foot print and prove myself, she would just tell me she appreciates my proactiveness, but unfortunately “it’s not appropriate because you’re a Term employee”. So, I made sure to keep a spreadsheet of everything I did, and tried to build solid relationships with my co-workers. My supervisor and the Director even told me on numerous occasions that all of the reviews they’d gotten about me were been very positive.

However, towards the end of my term end date, one of the managers gave me a very generic interview and barely glanced at the spreadsheet. And when I asked the department director a few days later if there are any updates, he told me I wasn’t even chosen as a finalist for the position.

I wish I knew what was going through their minds as they put me through this experience, and why they wanted to keep me around as long as they did if they weren’t intending to hire me permanently.

Graduate Student Interview

Interview

I met with several professors in the department over the course of a day. We discussed their research and what I wanted to study during my PhD. It was very informal.

Interview Questions

• What was the most interesting thing you studied as an undergraduate?   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at Harvard University (Boston, MA).

Interview

The interview was fairly informal. All participants were together around a small table. Myself included. I was made to feel welcome and comfortable. The interview felt more like a conversation about how we can be musically beneficial than an interrogation.

Interview Questions

• How have you addressed situations you may encounter in the course of this job in the past?   Answer Question

Marketing Communications Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Harvard University (Cambridge, MA) in December 2017.

Interview

I was reached out to by a recruiter from their Human Resources Department to discuss with me about my qualifications and if I would be a good fit for their department. A few days alter I was reached out to again about an in person interview. The in person interview lasted about an hour in a half and I met with about 7 different people in small groups. They asked all sorts of questions including what CMS the company I worked for previously used. Make sure you know everything and anything before this in person interview. In advanced they tell you who you are meeting with so do your research. Make sure you know as much as you can about each person and what their role is incase they ask you questions about what you think their role does.

After the interview was over they said that they would get back to me within a week if they wanted to move forward. I emailed each person thanking them for taking the time to meet with me. I waited a week before reaching out to the hiring manager about the position and they said they hadnt made any decisions. I waited another 3 weeks and then again they said they are still deciding. Finally 2 more weeks later I tried to get another update and they said they didnt want to move forward with me.

Interview Questions

• What CMS did the company you previously worked for use?   1 Answer
    • If you could create a team of people you had to work with what skills would they have to have?   1 Answer

Media Coordinator Interview

Application

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter, who set up a phone interview. I had a phone interview with the recruiter, and then was brought in for an in person interview two weeks later. Spent an hour and a half at the in person interview. Waited 3 weeks, and then they set up the second in person interview. That interview was a half hour. I didn't hear back for three weeks, and then got a form e-mail, saying I wasn't hired. I would have appreciated hearing back from the actual people who interviewed me. Considering how long the process was (2.5 months), you'd think they would have the courtesy to personally inform me that I didn't receive the position.

Interview Questions

• What are your weaknesses?   1 Answer
    • How do you handle working with difficult or demanding personalities?   Answer Question