Netflix Senior Software Engineer In Test Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Netflix Senior Software Engineer In Test Interview Questions

3.3

12 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Senior Software Engineer In Test Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Netflix in January 2016.

Interview

Netflix team was very flexible in how fast the interview process can be. I was able to complete process in less than two weeks. Queue is pretty standard: HR call, phone screen, onsite which is two stages: technical and upper management, you will get to upper management only if you pass technical screen. Overall positive experience with interview, I was speaking with members of the team I was interviewed for.

Interview Questions

• How would you translate input string into sequence of movements through on screen keyboard? What if you can loop through rows and columns?   2 Answers

Negotiation

After I got an offer, recruiting team sent me a thorough description of benefits with no numbers to negotiate as due to unique salary policy company doesn't want you to focus on numbers while choosing whether to join. I believe I was able to negotiate about salary, but I did not.

Other Interview Reviews for Netflix

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Netflix (Los Gatos, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

I felt the interview process was very fair, and they are considerate of your time, in that they move pretty fast. There were a total of 9 people I spoke to, including the executives who really try their best to understand if you fit in their culture.

The time during the tech rounds was used very effectively, and the person who interviewed me actually took pictures of my code to review later. That shows, that the interviewers really want to be thorough in the screening process. Unlike many other companies, Netflix does not waste too much in trying to understand what you did previously. They assess that from your resume, and the first telephone round with the hiring manager. So all of their tech interviews were 100% focused on finding if you have the skills to do the job you are interviewing for.

Likewise, from what I understand, Netflix does not hire generalists. They only hire specialists.

The hiring manager was always to the point, and answered all of the questions I had around the tech stack and their culture with a high degree of honesty. He also kept encouraging me to be honest with all of my interviewers. I felt a great vibe from him and his team, and was very motivated to join them. None of his team members looked stressed, on the contrary they all seemed very passionate about their job.

I agree with some of the reviews here about how Netflix’s recruiters keep telling you that no one rejects Netflix based on their compensation. But this was never told to me in a haughty way. It was more in a matter of fact way or in a “we take pride” way, and after actually seeing their compensation, I feel they have every reason to take pride. The recruiters came across as very warm and kept me promptly informed with the outcome of every step in the interview process, without me having had to follow-up with them. In other words, the entire process was extremely efficient. Unfortunately I could not take their offer for a reason that had nothing to do with them, but I can easily see them as my future employer.

Interview Questions

• I cannot disclose them here for confidentiality reasons.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Netflix (Los Gatos, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

I applied in October for the Senior Software Engineer in Test position. The recruiter contacted me within a week and I had a Collabedit phone interview with the hiring manager the following week. The interview went well and I was invited back the following week for an onsite in Los Gatos. That went pretty well, too, and I was invited back for a second round. While scheduling for this second onsite, I was informed that the position had been filled.

About 3 weeks after, I was contacted by the recruiter again saying that the opportunity actually did not work out with that other candidate. I was able to pick up where I left off in my original process and went back for the 2nd interview. Within the week, I was presented with an “offer”, but the compensation terms were not disclosed. Since the hiring manager had second guessed my reason for why I wanted to work for Netflix, they told me to take my time to decide that this was the right opportunity for me and to come back to them when I have informed them of my choice as they continue interviewing other candidates.

Not wanting to take any chances, I scheduled a call the following week with the intention of trying to address their concerns about why Netflix was the right opportunity for me. Mistakenly, I may have focused my reasoning more Netflix as a company and how it fits within my career rather than the immediate role and team that I had applied for.

Two days later, I was told by the hiring manager (and recruiter) that their situation had changed since a couple of people on their team were leaving the team for various reasons (i.e. paternal/maternal leave, other opportunities). Because of this, they explained that they did not want to put that much pressure on me. I was then told that they would keep in contact with me and revisit my candidacy in a YEAR.

This roller coaster of an interview process spanned the course of two and a half months.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Netflix (Los Gatos, CA).

Interview

I got an email from a recruiter. There were many schedule changes. Since I am local, they did technical interview on site. It was not official 'on-site' interview. It was not a good fit
    It was weird that one other manager was in the same room shadowing during my interview

Interview Questions

• 1) Very easy - Find a duplicate number in an array
      2) More technical about their testing scenario - specific knowledge required of the product related   Answer Question

not right fit

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Netflix (Los Gatos, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week.
    Expect that 70% of questions will be about your personality (even from tech people).
    One of the favorite question: 'what do you think about Netflix culture?'

Interview Questions

• same as posted before: with functions up, down, left, right, enter, create your own to write words on screen keyboard.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer In Test Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Netflix.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter and was scheduled a phone interview in which I got a brain-teaser.
    I was brought on site and was interviewed by 6 people. Interview took 5 hours. In the last 2 hours I got a headache due to being hungry. Some of the interviewers were texting on their phones while I was answering their questions (several times). Some others were checking their phones constantly while I was talking.

Interview Questions

• Some interviewers were not able to explain their questions clearly. Questions were not hard but poorly posed.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Netflix (Los Gatos, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

I applied online and got a call back from them in about 2 weeks. After brief conversation with recruiter I was scheduled to have technical phone interview. I thought that interview went well from my side, but got a call a few days later saying they have decided to proceed with another candidate. In general very efficient approach to the whole process.

Interview Questions

• Given the functions Up(), Down(), Left(), Right(), Enter() write the function that would take Str (like Hobbit:_Unexpected_Journey) and type it using keypad (the kind you have on Smart TVs, etc.)   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Netflix (Los Gatos, CA) in November 2013.

Interview

I had been in touch with a recruiter at Netflix for about 10 months before I decided to move forward with an interview. I didn't move forward earlier because I had been at my new company for about 6 months. When I reached out to the recruiter, she forwarded me to another recruiter who had an open position which matched my skill sets.

When I indicated I was interested in the role, she set up a meeting with the hiring manager who explained things in more detail, and also asked me some questions about my current role, and a coding question. Later that day the recruiter calls me back telling me they would like to schedule a phone interview with an engineer later in the day, or the next day. I tell them I'll need a week to get prepped, and we have it the following Monday, 5 days later. Within a few hours of the phone interview I get a call asking for availability to fly down to the HQ for an onsite.

At the onsite, I am scheduled for two rounds. A first one with 5 interviews (1 HR, 4 technical) and then 3 (with directors and VP for more high level/team fit). Advice: carry some energy bars with you because one of your interviews is a lunch interview, and your interviewer may not necessarily eat with you - so you want to avoid the awkwardness of eating and answering! Also, stop and get something to drink after each interview because you'll get thirsty after this much talking! Overall the people I met were friendly and open about Netflix's culture and didn't hesitate to answer any question I asked them.

I had the interview on Friday, and by Monday I was told that they were willing to make me an offer.

Interview Questions

• - Describe one of the most interesting/challenging bugs you found in your system (this is after explaining the architecture in detail) and how you went about getting it resolved.
      - Expect coding questions through the entire process. Everything is fair game, from trees to recursion to dynamic programming
      - Make sure you read the culture deck on the Netflix jobs site, you will get asked questions about it   Answer Question

Negotiation

Unbelievable salary offer. Numbers aren't provided until you accept their offer. Very little room to negotiate since this is pretty much top of market.

Senior Software Engineer In Test Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Netflix in October 2013.

Interview

1st HR call
    1st Onsite technical round
    2nd Onsite VP level Interview

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They offer way beyond the market price.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Netflix (Los Gatos, CA).

Interview

Interview process was very well streamlined and was on time. I enjoyed whole interview process. Interview was focused on the position with questions to judge your overall personality.

Was given a different position then one originally applied for.