Neustar Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 16, 2017

3.1

Senior Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sterling, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Neustar (Sterling, VA) in June 2017.

Interview

I applied online, two weeks later I received a call from a recruiter, he scheduled a technical phone interview, I passed this test and was invited to an on-site interview. All people I met were pretty nice.

Interview Questions

• Linux administration commands, phyton commands, and behavioral questions.   1 Answer

Senior Data Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Neustar.

Interview

Very odd interview process. I had my initial HR screening--very standard. I think spoke with someone on the team in LA, who made it very clear that the data arm of neustar was from an acquisition XX months ago. She indicated she did not know the hiring manager and that they do not have any communication. She also said she was upset when they hire people for the position that they leave, and I assured her that everyone had this fear for every company and position. Big red flag for me: turnover issues. I also got the impression that there wasn't a ton of career development, as she indicated they were switching over from saas to Python and that she did not know any Python but the people below her would learn it. Second red flag: how can her analysts learn a new language when she is not willing to learn one herself? The second interview was more technical, with an extremely simple Python problem. From there, the recruiter stopped communicating with me and the technical interviewer sent me some excel files. I completed one in no time at all, but the second was about a lemonade stand and I really didn't care to take the time to do it. I sent the first file back, and asked for a turnaround time estimate so I could make sure I completed the second one as expected. Got no response, forgot about it until I was on Glassdoor and realized I should share my knowledge!

Interview Questions

• In pure Python, count the number of occurrences for a word.   1 Answer

Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Neustar (San Francisco, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter regarding the position and went through two phone screens, an on-site visit with 5 team members followed by another phone interview. I felt great throughout the process and my recruiter was fantastic to work with by providing me timely updates during every step. Unfortunately, the role requirements changed as the company was looking to change the primary location of the role and the key responsibilities. I feel that this should have been clear upfront on work location and for the company to spend the time on what they expect a prospect to handle with the role responsibilities and not waste their time until the very end and change everything. This may be a blessing based on the past reviews of the company's uncertainty and management changes and the sudden behavior change at the end of the interview process.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Neustar (San Francisco, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

I connect with a Recruiter after I submitted my application. After, I had a phone interview with the Manager of Sales Development. He assigned me a task to do once the phone interview was over. I connected one more time with the Recruiter before I had an on-site interview. I had a group interview, I talked to the Manager of Sales Development and the Director of Sales. I connected one more time with the Recruiter before getting an offer. I think the process was very straightforward. I think it is very important that do research about the company and the products prior to the interview.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Neustar (San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Interview consists of a few phone screenings and an in-person interview. In each, they are trying to see if you have sales acumen, how professional you sound both on phone, in person, and via email, and how driven you are. They don't ask specifics about the products but rather are looking for a person who is able to solution sell. They want to see that you really understand the industry, the position, and your idea of a good sales process as an SDR. Throughout the whole process you speak to the recruiter, hiring manager, an SDR on the team you would work on, a sales director, and the senior sales VP.

Sales Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Neustar.

Interview

I think it all comes down to the recruiter. The recruiter was just as transparent as I was with time and flow of process of transitioning into next steps etc. You definitely have to study about company for bonus points before interview--that should be a given if you are serious.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Just had 1 day to review offer.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Neustar (San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

The process took about 1 month, consisting of multiple phone and in-person interviews. You get to speak with a few different people, so it gives you a better idea of the company environment.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Neustar (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

Several phone screenings, followed by in person interviews. Overall, it took a couple of weeks for the entire job process, maybe even a month. Good luck. Brush up on logic questions.

Senior Communications Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Neustar (McLean, VA) in February 2016.

Interview

I was recruited by an outside contractor for a Senior Communications Consultant role with Neustar. The role was to work with Neustar's website and social media pages in an effort to update and align the messaging to position Neustar as a global leader. This was sort of a big-fish-eats-little-fish process that ended up being a bait and switch and completely derailing any confidence I had in Neustar.

The recruiting firm that found me was hired by another recruiting firm that had been contracted directly by Neustar to bring them candidates (BlueAlly). The BlueAlly consultant was fantastic. I was told the role would be full-time, virtual consulting and Neustar's goal was to convert the role to full-time, permanent within a year. The salary was six figures, in line with my current earnings. As Neustar's benefits matched my needs I agreed to proceed.

I ended up having at least six phone interviews, with at least eight different Neustar employees before getting an offer. The entire process spanned two months, during which time Neustar's own employees contradicted each other when describing Neustar, the role, and Neustar's plan for the future. I was told to expect "some hesitation and resistance" when continuing in the interview process as Neustar had just come out of a "bad experience with another contractor." This did not make me feel comfortable, and was the first "red flag."

The second red flag came in the form of a phone call from the recruiting firm, who informed me that Neustar was very interested in me and had made an offer. I thought, "wonderful, this seems like a fantastic place to continue my career."

The next words out of the recruiters mouth were shocking. Neustar wanted to deviate from the agreed upon terms and in lieu of a year-long contract with 100% telework they wanted me to come into their Mclean, VA office four days a week. I explained to the recruiter that this was a complete deviation and one that I would be unable to accommodate due to the distance from my home in DC to Mclean, VA.

As I was already two months into the interview process (mind you, this is two months of interviews for a CONTRACT job, which is already quite absurd) I offered to come into the office three days. Neustar kept me dangling for another two weeks and finally came back with a hard "no."

I declined the role, as I find these type of bait and switch processes unethical and dishonest. If Neustar wanted a consultant to come into the office four days a week that should have been the original requirement. When considering leaving a full-time, permanent role for a contract role with Neustar I had to consider the ethics of the firm I was putting my trust into. Neustar fell drastically short. Moreover, as my counter-offer of three days in the office (a difference of only one day) wasn't acceptable, I had no confidence Neustar would be honest and forthcoming during my contract employment.

For me, the risk was not worth it.

Senior Database Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sterling, VA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Neustar (Sterling, VA) in September 2015.

Interview

Having 2 rounds of technical interview. Telephonic and face to face round. Once Phone screening completes they call for the F2F. In F2F almost 5 ppl are in the interview panel.

Interview Questions

• Biggest challenge which you faced in the production env?   1 Answer