Neustar Reviews | Glassdoor

Neustar President and CEO Lisa A. Hook
Lisa A. Hook

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Extremely poor work life balance with many people having to work in a 24x7 environment (in 16 reviews)

• Upper Management has no loyalty to its employees (in 20 reviews)

"Solid company in spite of continual strategy changes and market fl"

I worked at Neustar full-time

Pros

One of the best places I worked. Lots of cross-functional collaboration and communication and MANY people were top-notch and wanted to do the right thing by the company, and their teams. Neustar worried about losing monopoly status with NPAC, and began making more and more wise acquisitions (Quova and TargusINFO to name a few). As I was leaving, it appeared Neustar would lose the NPAC contract and continued to strategize and restructure and make acquisitions to change the focus of the company. I think they've successfully done that. I still have many friends there, and while it's been bumpy, they are still committed.

Cons

I started through an acquisition. Neustar was terrible at absorbing acquired companies then, and for several more years. Pay structure was below market, even though HR did compensation surveys. Some managers (including senior level) were just there too long. Many of them couldn't adapt to changing markets, absorbing acquired companies, etc. Systems and processes were "hold overs" from the stodgy old days when the company simply had the monopoly on NPAC.

Advice to Management

Continue to leverage your "old guard" that are still around and continue to innovate in new products/services as you've been doing. Who knows what Neustar will look like in 10 years, but in the 8 years I was there, the company changed dramatically, and largely for the better.

"Beware"

I worked at Neustar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people and benefits. Everyone is smart and for the most part intellectually curious. The work is interesting (statistics, consulting, project management).

Cons

Managers struggle to effectively manage people beneath them. My manager, who shall not be named, frequently belittled me in front of others with his/her tone and rhetoric. I was asked on numerous occasions by various observers if the way he/she spoke to me was typical... it most certainly was. This was his/her first time being allocated a subordinate employee and it was clear. I saw other managers who had an apathetic approach to managing their subordinates, and contained an overly dramatic fashion of handling clients. In all, and this being completely subjective, the way I was treated was abhorrent. Also, expect 10-12 hour days. You are usually busy the entire day, but be prepared.

Advice to Management

Use critical thinking when allocating subordinates to managers.

3. "VP"

I have been working at Neustar full-time

Pros

Very smart people. Strong vision tied to OneID. Now private will be easier to execute. In multiple high growth areas.

Cons

Dynamic markets that require you to be in top of your game.

4. "Culture"

Pros

Good company culture; nice people

Cons

Haven't found anything negative about the place yet.

"Your mileage may vary"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Neustar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- flexible hours and work-from-home (WFH) options
    - most of my team and my bosses are very hard-working and respectful

Cons

- Lisa Hook is a pretty clumsy motivational speaker. She just openly addressed concerns about how two parts of the company "suck." Definitely could have been phrased better.

"Poor working experience"

Former Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Neustar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Positive workplace/offices, good pay, nice people

Cons

Chaotic, disorganized, being pulled left and right, no vision or direction. Management lacks respect, ethics and believes in the means to justify end at all cost. They don't believe in dialogue to problem solve, they don't even share there is a problem and expect you to correct the unknown. One resignation/month.

Advice to Management

Don't rush for better business results

"Empower Middle Management"

I have been working at Neustar full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I truly like the people with whom I work. They're smart, dedicated and talented. I put my manager into this category.

Cons

It seems that my manager's hands are tied; he's not allowed to make any big decisions either about his people or the projects/products he manages.

Advice to Management

Senior leadership makes decisions without understanding the true and full impact they have. Allow middle management to have input into some of the bigger decisions. I think you'd be surprised by what this could do for the health of the company.

8. "Solid company changing quickly"

I have been working at Neustar full-time

Pros

Dynamic environment with great products and people

Cons

Lots of changes can create uncertainty

Advice to Management

Promote from within and avoid changing strategies / messaging too often

"Winter is coming or maybe it's summer"

I have been working at Neustar full-time

Pros

The company is profitable. The legacy business is likely funding the growth businesses.

401K matching is 6% when you contribute 8% of your salary.

Depending on which department and which office, you can possibly manage a nice work life balance.

Upcoming acquisition could potentially bring some much needed changes. See below

Cons

Lots of uncertainty ahead as company is getting acquired by private equity.

The culture, especially on the growth side of the business, is lacking cohesion. There is significant factionalism as Neustar is comprised of many acquired companies. Many employees still identify themselves with the previously acquired company.

Executive team is having trouble monitoring disparate business units let alone managing them. They don't seem to have a firm grasp of the businesses they acquired so they are somewhat blindly trusting the BUs to tell them how well they are doing.

Advice to Management

Consider splitting security services, npac, and marketing services into three different entities post acquisition. You'll probably get better managerial oversight.

Consolidate your product portfolio. You're sales team is pitching a bunch of one-off products that don't complement one another nor scale very well.

Develop a unifying culture. Espouse some company values and strictly enforce them.

Carefully evaluate who you select as leaders of the BUs. Managing up is a different skill set from managing down.

10. "Director of Business Development"

Current Employee - Director of Business Development in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Director of Business Development in Sterling, VA

I have been working at Neustar full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Outstanding benefits, great colleagues, flexible work

Cons

Uncertain future with upcoming acquisition.