Northern Trust Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 17, 2018

2.7

1. Featured Interview

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Taguig (Philippines)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Northern Trust (Taguig (Philippines)) in July 2017.

Interview

It was only a one day panel interview. Most of the questions were based on what I put on my CV - skills, achievements, etc.

We also had a group presentation wherein we were asked to present a certain topic in front of the managers. The presentation lasted for only 30 mins.

Interview Questions

• What are your qualities that can make you an asset of the company?   Answer Question

Pension Fund Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Northern Trust (Chicago, IL) in November 2012.

Interview

I applied via the campus recruiting website and received an email to set up a phone interview about a week or two later. The phone interview was with an HR rep and lasted approximately 30 minutes long. They asked me background questions about my resume and then several behavioral questions. I was contacted to attend the superday in the Chicago office the next day, which consisted of four 30 minute interviews with several members of the Pension Fund Accounting team. Everyone was relatively friendly and the questions were all fit and behavioral, absolutely no technical. However, my friend who interviewed for the AIA team was asked a few technical questions. They contacted me roughly two weeks later with an offer. Overall positive experience.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you had to display creativity to solve a problem?   1 Answer

I received a competing offer which trumped this offer.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Westwood, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Northern Trust (Westwood, CA).

Interview

It was a long time ago. I responded to an add in the paper and called for a interview. I had 5 interview before I was hired. Northern Trust only hires the best.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I did not negotiate at that time. The salary was much higher that I was receiving from the credit union.

Associate Portfolio Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Northern Trust (Phoenix, AZ) in May 2012.

Interview

I had a very unlikely experience -- submitted application, got a call from HR 3 weeks later. HR phone call was not a formal interview, she asked me what I knew of the company and then scheduled actual interview. In person interview with manager and portfolio manager I was supporting for a couple of hours. Basic questions, went through resume and why I would be a good fit. Interviewed with department head next day via phone and was offered the position a few hours later.

Interview Questions

• No Difficult questions, all behavioral and was asked to go through resume. "Why Northern?"   Answer Question

Negotiation

They gave me the salary at the phone interview stage, once I was offered I negotiated a couple $K higher and they accepted.

Auditor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Northern Trust (Chicago, IL) in September 2012.

Interview

easy interview, I did 3 rounds. I wish I would have asked more questions because I may have chosen to go in another direction or tried to move around in the company sooner

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Northern Trust (Chicago, IL) in March 2016.

Interview

Most likely you would be contacted by an HR representative setting up an in person interview with the hiring managers and support managers on that specific team. I would expect about 20-30 minutes per interviewer and having two to three separate interviewers. I would also not expect any further interviews after the initial in person.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Northern?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Northern Trust (Chicago, IL) in June 2009.

Interview

Interview process was pretty straightforward. Spoke first to a HR rep and then immediately with my future office managers. Spoke to the Dept Manager via phone interview within a week.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

First job out of college. Didn't muster the courage to negotiate.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Northern Trust (Chicago, IL) in October 2014.

Interview

Three 30 min interviews. Not too formal. Basic interview questions. Dressed well. Had copies of resume. Tried to keep the conversation flowing. Best yourself. Asked for next steps in the process. Follow up with HR after interviews.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Northern Trust (Chicago, IL) in January 2016.

Interview

I thought the staff did a wonderful job explaining what to expect of my new role. I would simply say to all applying; prepare as much as possible. Individuals should read up on the company. If you are in finance, take a look at the 10k report and any additional reports, conference calls available. In this way you show a genuine interest and commitment to your role with the company. Research the salary of what ever role you are applying to accurately understand the range. There are several interviews the take place between you, the recruiting, team lead, and manager.

Interview Questions

• One interview question was: describe a challenging situation and you did to resolve it. What was the outcome?   1 Answer

Client Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Northern Trust.

Interview

Phone Screen 2 weeks after online application, 1 on 1 with Manager of Client Support Services one week later, then with 3-person panel of partners 2 weeks after that.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Northern Trust   1 Answer

Client Services Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Northern Trust.

Interview

The whole process took a few weeks, with 2 full days dedicated to meeting all members of the team. It was pretty grueling, but understandable, and you feel like an Olympian after going through the motions and receiving an offer. The work culture was great - people friendly and dedicated to helping others and providing the best services to clients and prospects.

Interview Questions

• Even though I wasn't applying for a sales position, I was asked to give a sales pitch for a product offered by a previous employer.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Maybe I was having a great day - the negotiation phase went very well. They were willing to pay for what they were getting - my brains - which was certainly a nice change. The best initial offer I had ever received, and I asked for more, which they gave me.