Northern Trust Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 19, 2018

2.8

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Northern Trust (Chicago, IL).

Interview

The interview was short and precise. The interviewers were prompt and prepared for the interview. It was conversational and not stressful. I felt good leaving the interview and was very confident that an offer would be sent shortly.

Senior Associate Interview

Application

The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Northern Trust in February 2018.

Interview

After an initial call with a recruiter, I had a very upsetting and degrading experience with the Sr. Wealth Strategist within the Houston office and felt it best I step out of the interview process.

During the interview I was called disloyal, he questioned my "presentation", and my character. He accused me of calling him a liar and then wanted to debate what I meant by me saying "if this is true".

He left me feeling physically upset and I questioned whether I was being discriminated against as a gay Latino, due to his insistence my "presentation" was not up to Northern Trust standards.

I felt so attacked that I had to cut the interview short after about 10 min. and let him know this was not the right cultural fit. Never have I had to endure such horrible treatment in a professional encounter. I have already brought the issue up to recruiting.

I hope future candidates do not have to endure such a degrading experience. I thought the meetings would be an intelligent conversation with a trusted financial institution and to say I was disappointed would be an understatement.

Senior Investment Associate Interview

Interview

I had a phone interview first with a recruiter and then they brought me in for an in person interview with 3 PWM presidents. These were 3 separate 30 minute interviews.

Alternative Investment Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Northern Trust (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

Was contacted in July for an interview, interviewed in early August and again in late September. Process took way too long for them to respond with an answer. I found out on their website, they never contacted me about a denial. Not a great experience.

Interview Questions

• What do you think is the most important skill is for this position   Answer Question

Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Northern Trust (Chicago, IL) in November 2017.

Interview

5-7 boilerplate interview questions. They don't take kindly to a lack of work related experience, a little weird considering I was applying to an internship but whatever. Considering the other interviewees (and myself) I met in the lobby it was obvious they were looking for minorities to hire.

Interview Questions

• What classes have you taken? Do you know excel? Ever moved into a fast paced working environment?   1 Answer

GFS Custody Interview

Interview

Phone call, with a lot centered on resume and related experience. Then second round was once again a phone call. The first was HR and the 2nd was with your potential manager

Asset Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Northern Trust (Tempe, AZ) in October 2017.

Interview

One phone interview with an HR rep, then two 30-45 minute Skype interviews with management. The interviews were exclusively qualitative questions and very easy to get through. The managers were also very kind and helpful to reach out to with any questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you worked on a team, and had to deal with a non-cooperative team member.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you didn't meet your goals.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about your leadership experience.   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Northern Trust (Iowa City, IA) in October 2017.

Interview

I got invited to an on campus interview after an employee referral and visiting the job fair at my university, and the interview was only 30 minutes with mainly behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had to solve a problem creatively.   Answer Question

Bank Trade Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Northern Trust (Tempe, AZ) in October 2017.

Interview

Applied online, then had a brief phone interview. That interview is typical questions. Next had a panel interview at one of their offices. Some behavior questions "tell me about a time you went above and beyond" "where do you see yourself in five years." They also asked what an alternative investment is and know the job description by heart. Also, it helps to watch their short videos on YouTube about the bank.

Interview Questions

• What is an alternative investment   1 Answer

Analyst, Financial Reporting Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Northern Trust (Chicago, IL) in September 2017.

Interview

A month after I replied I received an email to schedule a phone interview with a recruiter from Arizona. Standard phone interview was conducted and set up an in person interview about 3 days later in the Chicago office. The in person interview was conducted by two managers in the Financial Reporting department. Both managers asked questions back and forth. Interview lasted about 40 mins. After my interview sent thank you emails to both managers. Stay on top of recruiters if you want any type of feedback whether that be a job offer or not because they will not contact if you did not get the job unless you are a bug about it.

Interview Questions

• Questions about background, work experience, 5 year goal, why Northern Trust, why financial reporting, etc. The last question was why should they pick you over another candidate   Answer Question