OpenTable Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

OpenTable Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at OpenTable

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at OpenTable (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Initial call from recruiter, then technical phone screen, then in person 4-5 people over 4-5 hours. Culture is apparently changing but still a lot of negativity in the air, most of the interviewers complained about something related to their job. A tour of the office told me everything I needed to know. They emailed the next day with a decline.

Interview Questions

• Typical corporate questions, what are you passionate about? and other college-level CS questions (implement a binary search).   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for OpenTable

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at OpenTable.

Interview

Emailed back and forth to schedule a phone interview. Got a call from a senior Data Scientist that asked me a few related algorithm question. By the end the questions were complicated enough whre it became difficult to describe over the phone. I was able to answer all questions (though I required a hint for one) and he then congratulated me on surviving the ksum question.

Interview Questions

• First question: You have an array of numbers. Find all pairs that add up to K.
      Second question: You have an array of numbers. Find all three-element groups that add up to K.
      Third question: You have an array of numbers. Find all four-element groups that add up to K.

For all these question I had to provide a running time.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at OpenTable.

Interview

So far, I've had an on campus interview and have a Google Hangout interview coming up. I'm still interviewing with them, so I'm guessing if I pass the Google Hangout interview, there'll be some an on site interview. The Google Hangout interview is 2 hours and 15 minutes long with 3 different engineers. When I talked to them on campus, I told them that I liked front end dev, but not sure if they're interviewing me for front end dev or just software dev.

Interview Questions

• On campus: Given an array of stock prices, and the date of the current stock price, return the maximum profit that can be made.   1 Answer
    • Given an integer N, determine if N is part of the Fibonacci sequence.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at OpenTable (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I was allowed to skip the phone interview and come directly for an on-site interview. The technical interview went great, no issues with whiteboarding code, ended up with extra time to ask questions of the interviewing engineers. Their internal culture seems solid, although slowly transitioning from process-oriented old enterprise stack to a more agile, startup-y process. The nontechnical culture interviews with the Director of Engineering and the PM went really well. I was expecting a slam-dunk, so I was surprised when the recruiter contacted me and said they wanted me to do a take-home coding exercise to clear up some issues around an area of professional growth I'd disclosed in the interview.

It struck me as super unprofessional to schedule a full day for an interview, only to be told that they needed more information. At every other company they do take-home exercises before on-site interviews. If engineers have questions about something said during an on-site interview, then the appropriate time to ask about it is... during the interview! Please don't wait and make a candidate do additional work after a full day of interviewing.

I didn't feel like I'd be professionally respected if my hiring was such a squeaker that it required a post-onsite take-home assignment, so I just put in a few hours' of work and submitted it -- wasn't surprised when they rejected me, just insulted that they'd put someone through so much extra effort when we could have resolved these issues with a conversation during the on-site interview.

Interview Questions

• "What's an area or skill where you feel weak or could learn more?"   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at OpenTable.

Interview

First interview was an on-campus interview where I solved a coding question. Next was a 4 hour interview onsite consisting of 4 different interviews. Some of these had me solve coding questions, while some involved talking about the company and designing systems related to it. Good experience, but I did not get an offer.

Interview Questions

• Given a n x n grid of letters, find all words that can be created by starting at one letter and moving left/right/up/down. Similar to the game Boggle.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at OpenTable in January 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter and scheduled a phone call within a few days. The phone call was non-technical and I can't really remember what the conversation was about, but about a week after that I had a technical phone interview with their lead iOS developer. This was fairly easy and consisted of both abstract CS-theory and applied programming questions and lasted about an hour. They got back to me pretty quickly and scheduled an on-site interview about a week and a half after the phone interview. The on-site interview lasted from 2-6pm and consisted of 5 interviews of which 3 were technical and 2 were non-technical. OpenTable was kind enough to space out the technical interviews in between the non-technical interviews, and generally everyone was approachable and kind. The interview process was over all very pleasant and the technical questions weren't very difficult. All of them were done on a whiteboard as well, so there was no worry about small syntax errors and other associated stumbling blocks. Three days after the on-site interview, I heard back from them and did not receive an offer. Although they initially did not mention why, I asked them for feedback and they were quick to respond. In the end they chose to go with someone who had more exprience. 10/10 would interview again

Interview Questions

• (iOS-specific) Implement UIKit's hitTest: withEvent: function.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at OpenTable (San Francisco, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

The interview was over hangouts and fairly straight forward. About 10 minutes was spent on CSS, 10 min on HTML and 20 on JavaScript. There was some live coding involved, which was unnerving, plus general JS/HTML/CSS questions. Matt spent about 10 min on a general introduction in the beginning, and set time aside at the end for my questions. He was absolutely supportive and professional throughout the interview, even as I floundered through some parts. Live coding is rather stressful, but Matt did his best to reduce the stress and help, which made the process easier. My only complaint was that it took a while for HR to get back to me - but as soon as I emailed Matt with a followup, he wrote right back.

Interview Questions

• What is "this" and how is it used? What is scope? How do you deal with callback hell?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at OpenTable (Berkeley, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

I met with OpenTable at a Career Fair and they set up a technical interview the next week. I met with one of their principal engineers who was very friendly and walked me through one technical coding question, several behavioral and educational questions, and gave me a brief overview of the position and the culture of the company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at OpenTable (San Francisco, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

A couple of phone screens and 8 interviews onsite. Most of the team members I spoke to were good. It looked like a very good company and great people. But their HR is a joke. Not very responsive and they seemed to not care about the candidates. Another funny thing about them is there Pay. I really think the benefits mentioned here are rigged. They offered me a base salary lower than what I am already making! There are far better companies both benefits and technology wise.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at OpenTable (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Completed one intake phone screen with HR, then completed a technical phone screen with two developers which included live two coding exercises. I failed miserably on the first problem, but the interviews were polite, helpful, and wanted me to succeed!

I was then invite for an onsite where I felt very well taken care of. They gave me a gift, snacks, and paid for lunch. There were three interviews with senior developers and one with the principal. Everyone was very and nice, collegial. I learned a lot from the interview process.