Pets at Home Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Pets at Home Interview Questions

Interviews at Pets at Home

2.6

Part Time Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pets at Home (Bristol, England (UK)) in August 2015.

Interview

It was awful! A group interview of about 30 people, it started 20 minutes late and was very unorganised. We all sat around a huge conference table and had to come up with a speech on one of our pets. This was all very well if you we're confident, but speaking in front of about 40 people was really not my thing! (There were 10 pets at home bosses there too). Next we had to build a bridge out of paper while all the bosses went and got coffee and pretty much had nothing to do with us. Then we had to make a tv advert out of the products on a desk and show it to everyone else. At the end we had a short 1-1 about availability and things, nothing to actually do with the company. It really annoyed me as I had done a years work experience there before... But I'm guessing they based it up on that group thing! No job for me, speaking in front of that many people just throws me!

Interview Questions

• Do you have a job at the moment   5 Answers

Hi,
    Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. I'm sorry to hear that you felt that our interview process was little lengthy and it started late, this certainly isn't how we wish our... More

Solicitor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pets at Home.

Interview

I applied for a position in the legal team and sent in my cv -also answered some pets related questions on line heard nothing, no acknowledgment, e-mail or anything. I cannot recommend them -Hope the pets are treated better ! :)

Hi,
    Thank you so much for taking the time to feedback to us. All of the comments we receive really help us to improve our process and I will certainly pass this on to our recruitment team for... More

Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Port Talbot, Wales (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pets at Home (Port Talbot, Wales (UK)) in August 2017.

Interview

There was a icebreaker and team building exercise designing a enclosure for animals, a brief work trial cleaning and taking care of the animals, stocking shelves and being on the till then 121 interview

Interview Questions

Pets at Home Response

Apr 10, 2019 – Social Customer Care Manager

Hi,
    Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. We really appreciate feedback from our recruitment sessions to help us improve our processes in the future. I do hope you've found a... More

Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newport, Newport, Wales (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Pets at Home (Newport, Newport, Wales (UK)) in February 2018.

Interview

Applied on line with an online test which is a multiple answer questionnaire.
    Then received an email within a week to say they like your application and would love to meet you and your invited to a group assessment.
    When I got there on a Sunday evening there were 14 other people all applying for the 1 job as well as me.
    Your put into groups and have 2 tasks to make a bridge from paper n tape n too sell or pitch a product in front of everyone else..
    this can take 3 hours and the staff are walking round with clip boards assessing your skills as you interact.
    After this you are taken aside for a 5 min one to one interview.. they say they will let everyone know within a week.. 2 weeks later still not even a phone call to say you’ve not got the job.. the process is
    great if your young and full of confidence and are willing to be a sheep.

Interview Questions

Pets at Home Response

Hi,
    Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. I'm sorry to hear that you felt that our interview process was little lengthy, this certainly isn't how we wish our candidates to feel. We put... More

Store Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Pets at Home in September 2017.

Interview

I arrived and spoke to the young lad sat next to me as he looked nervous. Once everyone was in attendance we started by introducing ourselves and discussing our pets and anything else we wanted to share about our lives. Then in groups we were asked to choose an animal and prepare for a children's workshop and we delivered the workshop in front of the pets at home staff as if they were the children. Then we were asked to do a dragons den style activity again in groups. We had to design our own product and pitch it to the staff. We had a one on one interview with store colleagues. I had two store colleagues because one hadn't done this before so he was sat in with his more experienced colleague. All the staff were so friendly, laid back, down to earth, made you feel very relaxed, had fun personalities and fab sense of humour! I enjoyed the entire assessment. It was fun and was lovely to meet everyone.

Interview Questions

Pets at Home Response

May 22, 2019 – Social Customer Care Manager

Hi,
    Thank you so much for taking the time to leave feedback on our interview process. It's really great to hear that you enjoyed the process & found it fun, this is very much the aim during our... More

Store Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pets at Home (London, England (UK)) in September 2018.

Interview

Interview was a group one, about 15 of us and 12 store colleagues. Very interesting and thoroughly enjoyed! Not for the faint hearted although good as they want staff who can approach customers and be open.

We began by taking it in turns to stand and explain what our perfect pet would be and why. This was interesting. Pets at home colleagues were taking notes and appeared to be concentrating on one person each.

Second we split into random groups and had to build a bridge out of one newspaper and sellotape that could hold as many dog toys as possible. Ours couldn't even stand up.

We then mixed up the group's and had 10 minutes to think of an advert for pets at home using 3 items we found in the store. This was especially fun!

Finally, we had a one to one little chat with the staff and had the opportunity to ask questions. Most questions were just like when can you start, what rate are you expecting etc.

After being successful, I had a short trial shift which included being the back with the pets, cleaning them out and caring for them. I then had a shot on the tills whilst being over watched and finished with tidying an aisle.

There was a final interview which went over skills such as team working and communication.

Interview Questions

Pets at Home Response

Oct 26, 2018 – Social Customer Care Manager

Store Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Prescot, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pets at Home (Prescot, England (UK)) in March 2018.

Interview

Go for group interview building paper bridge then come up with new product and present to group. This takes roughly 3 hours. If picked you then go on unpaid trial shift. This is doing a bit of everything in store.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any difficulties talking to people or social difficulties.   1 Answer

Store Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kidderminster, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pets at Home (Kidderminster, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

3 group stages, first with a partner find out information about them and them about you in a minute and relay it to the group. second pick a product and act out an advert to the group and last was to make a structure out of newspaper that will support dog toys and that a fish tank will fit underneath!

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Pets at Home (London, England (UK)) in May 2018.

Interview

Telephone interview. Quite informal.
    Followed by store assessment with 2 store managers and 2 area managers. Knowing it would entail me being on the shopfloor i"d emailed for dress code which i was told was informal smart casual, the other candidate and interviewers were in suits/business wear. I felt so uncomfortable , Arrived on the day and asked to wait whilst they got ready for me and the other candidate. Taken to staff room , which is also the office where the job was described to us by the 2 area managers and we just gave a brief description of who we were.
    We were told that the job we'd applied for was a designate role, however that wasnt what i applied for. I'd applied for a specific store so i was put off straight away. We were then taken onto the Shop floor by the 2 store managers where they assessed us doing a swot analysis of the Shop floor, however the paper we were given wasn't a swot , it was a commercial daily floor walk.
    We were then asked to hold a guinea pig and do a health check on it whilst taking notes on what we were doing (not too sure what the notes were for as they were not revisited. ) I was then put on the till, i was told it would be for half an hour but it ended up being for an hour and a half whilst the other candidate had their interview and we were then to swap over. ) . By the time I went into my interview it was 12.45, I'd been there since 9am. I was told they were now in a rush as they'd over run with the other candidate and to make it fair for the candiates they had in the afternoon that they would now stick to their script so it was important I stuck to answering the questions they asked. I thought this was unfair, However what was more uncomfortable was that I didn't feel listened to. I was really conscious of them clock watching and so I really couldn't wait to just get out of there. Considering that it was put across how relaxed they wanted it to be I don't think I've ever felt so uncomfortable in an interview ever.

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Luton, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Pets at Home (Luton, East of England, England (UK)) in October 2018.

Interview

Initial phone interview, not competency based and very informal.
    After successful in that called to an assessment centre in a local store. Was told beforehand that it would be a three hour assessment centre, which I though strange as in previous roles I have led assessment centres for assistant manager grades that last at least 5 hours.
    The assessment was facilitated by two regional managers and 2 store managers. After a brief presentation, the assessment started. I was one of four candidates.
    First assessment (in pairs) put the key pets at home values into order using your skills of teamwork and persuasion to agree on the correct order.
    Second assessment (the group of four) you are given the scenario of being marooned in a jungle after a plane crash, you can bring some items but you all have to agree which ones to take.
    These two assessments took 45 mins in total. Then we had a break for 15 mins.
    We then came back and two candidates went in for interviews and the other two waited outside. The interview took around 20 mins (only two questions were asked by the interviewers, I asked more questions than they did), wasn't competency based and NO notes were taken at all. It was if the decision had already been made.
    I found it strange that they could decide who would be a suitable manager for their business with only a 45 mins snapshot and no competency based (experience) questions in the interview, which I feel should have been at least 90 mins.
    The whole process seemed a little amateur to me and not professional at all.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Pets at home?
      Tell me about your career history.   Answer Question