Riot Games Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Riot Games Interview Questions

Updated Apr 14, 2017

3.3

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Riot Games.

Interview

Quite a typical interview, phone screening, skype call, on-site. The general impression - Riot is more concerned about the culture than actually being efficient, which was confirmed a few times throughout the interview. Deliverables delays, not strong interview questions, etc.

University Technical Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Riot Games.

Interview

Phone interview with 2 people; asked about previous experience, why did I apply for the position, what games I play; I liked how they answered my questions at the end about the working environment

Collegiate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Riot Games (Santa Monica, CA).

Interview

I applied via the website and was contacted for a phone interview during a slot within the following 3-4 days. My interview started late and was surprisingly nerve-wracking considering the Collegiate spot had the most casual application (I didn't think it would be as competitive as more popular ones like eSports). The interviewer was kind and organized, but it was kind of unprofessional when they used swear words.

Interview Questions

• How do you think this internship will help you to pursue your planned career?   Answer Question

E-commerce Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Riot Games.

Interview

Words really can't explain how disappointed I am with Riot, especially since I've been an avid player of League of Legends since Season 3. But I'll try anyway!

I applied for an entry-level position in their Ecommerce department and didn't even seem to go through the standard procedure outlined by the other 99% of reviews here. I didn't even get contacted by an HR recruiter, but rather from a manager on the team that I was applying to. To add to my luck, it was hard to hear him since his voice was echo-y, probably because of the room he was in.

But cool, I thought, maybe they're just skipping me ahead of the shenanigans. Eh.

Phone conversation started off with standard "Tell me about yourself" for the first 5 minutes. Was asked if I played League and what role I play. Then was asked if I played Starcraft for who knows why. Interestingly, nothing about the Manifesto or anything player-related like other reviews here mentioned.

Then the best part, he tells me he's going to ask me ~4 brain teasers just like that, no warning because they want to see how I think. That's fine.

I get the first few correct, but needed help with the last one. I thought it was decent considering I anticipated being 1) contacted by an HR recruiter first 2) more interest-based questions on my involvement with League (why was I asked about Starcraft again?).

The best part is that I later got an email saying that "my experiences and interests don't line up with what they're looking for." Considering that I've been a gamer my entire life and have probably played/followed League more than most Rioters, I don't think it's my interests they were dismissing (and the guy barely talked about League with me). That leaves the experience part. But Riot's telling me they somehow holistically reviewed the entirety of my relevant experience during that interview through unexpected brain teasers, most of which I got correct? For an entry-level position? No feedback given? Give me a break.

All in all, probably one of the most disappointing experiences in my entire life. I've loved playing League and following its Esports scene for the past several years, and Riot is definitely one of my dream companies to work for, yet they definitely gave me the short end of the stick on this one. Do I expect to magically get accepted my first time to Riot? No, I know they're extremely selective - but there's no way I got a fair shot this time around. Sorry Riot, but you're not going to magically get some MBA with 5 years of "Ecommerce experience" applying for an entry level role in your department - I think you're much better off with a fresh university grad who loves your game and has a questionable disregard for whatever the salary is, actually knows a great deal about League/Esports and understands the players, and is eternally hungry/driven to make Riot as amazing it can be, but that's just me. Of course, Riot couldn't possibly distinguish between the two because apparently brain teasers tell more about their potential candidates. If you just brush people off like this without really knowing why, you're going to frustrate a lot of people. But oh well, I guess I just didn't have enough "ecommerce experience" for them. As a university grad. Which wasn't assessed through an actual ecommerce case or anything.

But hey, maybe I'm just salty (I am) and overreacting and was just supposed to get all of the brain teasers right - who knows? I sincerely wish the best of luck to future candidates and hope everyone has a better experience than I did (it really won't be that hard).

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself?
      Why this role?
      Why Riot Games?
      Did you play Starcraft? (Why was I asked this?)
      Brain teasers
      1 Answer

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Riot Games in March 2017.

Interview

There are three technical screening before the on-site interview. All three interviews are supposed to test your quantitative ability, i.e. probability and statistical skills. This interview was the first Skype interview.

Interview Questions

• If a team has 60% win rate, would the team prefer a best of 11 or best of 21?   1 Answer

Business Rotation Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Riot Games.

Interview

good, provided lots of feedback, interesting interview content and thought-provoking scenario questions. There were four interviews and after the fourth one, which was with the head of regional office, you would be flown in for a panel review, which is a full day of interview/meeting with Rioters.

Interview Questions

• If you were to come up with the next League of Legends figure, what champion and style would you choose, and why? What are the pros and cons of this system of logic?   Answer Question

Senior Software Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Riot Games (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

First was a Skype, a phone interview and then a coding test. The Skype was good but the follow on interview was very rushed. At first when I was told via email that they were going to pass, I was disappointed. The message in the email was not clearly written and implied that I need more experience. There was an offer to give me feedback so I took them up, expecting to be ignored. They schedule a phone call with the hiring manager and we had a good talk about why. I agree with the reasoning and they asked me to stay in touch as they really liked me.

Video Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Riot Games.

Interview

Several emails, HR seemed inexperienced and only interested if I was an LoL player/fan. My extensive experience w/ production/editing and game-related video didn't matter. I tried downloading the LoL game, but it didn't work. Not good enough for HR. Dumbest HR policy ever, why would you reject experienced candidates who are capable of learning the game or whatever else is necessary? Shortsighted. AVOID.

Communications Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Riot Games (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

I spoke with three Riot employees over the phone. The hiring manager, and two of the leads of closely related teams. While interviewing, I really enjoyed the conversational atmosphere that the employees created. Each one of the people I spoke with were smart, courteous and friendly. I ended up not making it to the on-site interview but was promised feedback. Still waiting on the feedback.

Interview Questions

• They asked a lot about my experience as a gamer, and as a professional. The importance of culture fit really shows through in the process.   Answer Question

Business Process Outsourcing Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Riot Games.

Interview

HR was fine and responsive via email; except, when the Riot Game HR resource said during the phone interview that they hire people who have the same common interest with specifically playing League of Legends (LoL). If you don't play the game, then don't expect to be hired. From more experienced workforce, this is considered HR discrimination and does not embrace diversity. Make sure to record (audio and video, if applicable) the interview so that you can post the proof online and/or get a lawyer involved.

Feedback regarding Actual Interview from Riot Game Interviewers:

- Were 10 minutes late to their own interview
    - Lost interest when you don't play LoL
    - Only asked 5 minutes worth of generic questions that were not specific nor related to the job/position
    - Did not explain at all about the position, skill level required, nor expectations of the job/position
    - Did not know even basic departmental setup common in other companies (Interviewers thought QA - Quality Assurance was a Procurement function)

Really difficult to be interviewed by highly inexperienced junior level resources (validated on other reputable online professional networks). Focus is more on whether you play LoL or not. Not really a company for experienced resources with a lot of corporate background (especially with larger more brand recognized entities).

Wish I read the other Glassdoor interview reviews prior.

Interview Questions

• Very generic and limited questions (e.g. What do you see yourself in 5 years?)   2 Answers