Riot Games Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Riot Games Interview Questions

Updated Jun 20, 2018

3.2

QA Analyst Interview

Interview

First they give you a email back with a time to set a phone call. You have a phone call with someone on the team, tell them about yourself, and if they decide you're a good fit with the team you will move on to a second call interview .

Interview Questions

• What makes you a better fit than the other people applying for this job?   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

The process took 7+ months. I interviewed at Riot Games (Santa Monica, CA).

Interview

The interview process was extremely long and drawn out over a couple months leading up to an onsite interview. The first was an exploratory call, then 1:1 with the would-be-hiring-manager, then two virtual coding interviews; I failed the first because I lacked Java expertise (something I was immediately up front about and assured was a non issue... turns out it's a big issue).

The eventual onsite interview was generally pleasant with the noc, product, and design folks, as well as what would have been the hiring manager. The hiring manager in particular was someone I would have loved to work with.

However the two "technical" interviews were each pairs of engineers who had absolutely zero clue how to conduct an interview, and were clearly out of sync with the process. At one point one of the two engineers who I later discovered would be a direct report for the position asked me if they were "doing this correctly" - referring to the interview. We ended 15-20 minutes early and I asked the typical "what are your biggest challenges" and "why do you work here" questions, and was mortified to hear their biggest challenge was that "we have no environment to test in" for this particular team.

The other pair went extremely deep into the underlying kernel interaction of nodejs vs jvm and failed me because of a "lack of depth" when working through that exercise; while I understand their intent it was clear this was actually two extremely talented engineers trying to prove they were smarter than the candidate, rather than screening a candidate for their ability to be a technical leader. I concede these two engineers were exceptional and they spent an hour proving it to me.

The hiring manager later said I received 4/5 "thumbs up" on the panel and they'd like to move forward and drew out an org hierarchy with a circle where I would be, which was nothing at all what the recruiter had led me to believe for the previous three months including two official phone interviews, two separate in depth prep phone calls, a phone screen and a personal chat with a Director who frankly gave an amazing perspective of the company from the St. Louis side which by all accounts is nothing like how Santa Monica operates.

Long story short is that after >7 months of this process it is abundantly clear Riot is very desperate for managers but has absolutely no clue how to hire them, so they've sunken to desperate measures of baiting and switching candidates with higher positions hoping to sell them on bro culture and free snacks and video games at work. That, on top of an egregious bias for Java, and anything other than Java experience makes you an immediate second class citizen, I would caution anyone who does not view an EM position of 4-5 contractors as a promotion or career goal away from Riot in every way.

It's also worth noting, that your final step as a "leader" will be to interview with a Director and/or the CTO. What concerned me is that it appeared from the outside that all Director, VP, and C level technical leaders were out of St Louis; so I would again advise any candidate to weigh that very heavily when considering a position, particularly out of Santa Monica.

Interview Questions

• How does the nodejs kernel operate differently from the jvm during runtime? How is this different than [your preferred language/framework]?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

The recruiter was nice but i had less experience then they wanted so they told me they would contact me later so i am just waiting to hear back from them again at a later time

Associate Publisher Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Riot Games.

Interview

It was good. The interview was nice. A phone call interview. I was very glad that I have such a chance. Thanks Riot thank you sooo much. I will remember it for a very long time.

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Riot Games.

Interview

I engaged in two separate telephone interviews. The first was with another analyst that asked me questions about the job duties with very basic research and statistics related questions. The second was with a manager who, frankly, I do not think had any clue what was going on. He would ask me questions, I would give thorough answers, and would basically re-ask the question, extremely confused. If he wanted specific information, he did not know how to ask for it. I spoke with other analysts about the interview later and they said that the answer I gave sounded like what management needed to hear but did not want to hear.

Interview Questions

• How do you think the honor system could be improved?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Riot Games.

Interview

I put my profile on a job search site hoping to get HIRED as a software engineer. A recruiter reached out to me and I was really excited. I already had a few other offers but I liked the opportunity so much that I was willing to drop those offers.

I got back to the recruiter right away and we hopped on a phone call. He seemed to care more about what video games I played than my technical abilities. I am fine with that but he seemed to not be a video gamer to me. I can't really describe it but it felt like he was pretending to be a video gamer. I talked about so many different games and it never really seemed to spark any interest in him. Then he just kept asking me do you play DOTA? Even though I told him I played in high school over 10 years ago :(

Then when it was my turn to ask questions. I wanted to know what my responsibilities would be, what team this I would be on, what kind of work I would be doing. He had no answer to my questions. He told me he doesn't know and would have to talk to a bigger hiring committee or some BS to figure out where I would fit in. He assured me he would get back in 24 hours and never did...

I am sure the employees, in general, are great people but I did not have a good experience with the recruiter. I think that he just sucks at his job. I feel like he did a poor job of listening, did not evaluate my skills as an individual contributor, and he did not prepare at all because he couldn't tell me anything about the position.

Technical Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Riot Games (Santa Monica, CA).

Interview

They gave me feedback throughout the process which I really liked and needed. They were pretty timely with updates and feedback. I think only once I had to ping them to see what my status was. I did about 3 phone interviews before I was brought on-site. The day of on-site interviews is a little intense because it’s about 6 panels, but I’ve interviewed with big companies before so it really wasn’t out of the ordinary. It was my day of on-site interviews that really sealed in the fact that I wanted to be there, and I felt like it would be a mutual good fit. The panelists were down to earth and casual, but also serious about their work. I felt like I could just be myself and it was cool to be able to talk about my love for video games, especially with the other women I encountered through the day. I got to tour the campus and ate lunch in the cafeteria. The lunch interview was a little weird because I had to eat and talk but wasn’t bad. After my on-site, a week later I had my final interview with the head of Talent. Everything moved super quick after that.

Software Development Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Riot Games.

Interview

brought onsite to "meet the teams" to choose which team I'd prefer to interview for. They claim that the team you choose is irrelevant, if the interviewers decide you're a better fit for a different team they'll move you there. Following that there was an hour long cultural screen and an hour long technical screening with the team I chose. At that point you're brought into Riot HQ for an all-day "gauntlet" of sorts, interviewing with 10+ members of the team. This includes a "not part of the interview" lunch which is clearly part of the interview

Interview Questions

• Standard stuff... What's your biggest weakness? What's your greatest strength? Why are you leaving your current job? Why Riot games? What champs/roles do you play (if you play league)? What are your favorite video games of all time?   Answer Question

Multiple Positions Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Riot Games.

Interview

Both times submitted online. First time was contacted within three weeks. Second time was contacted within three days. No offer was received. Each time I asked for feedback and was told to “expand grasp of knowledge,” which is a laugh - I had more than enough knowledge and was super enthusiastic to work on the game I love so much. Very unprofessional interview in my opinion - aggressive questions. Make me wonder how other women do at this company.

Interview Questions

• How do you triage your responsibilities?   1 Answer

Instructional Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Riot Games in April 2018.

Interview

The interview process for this company is a hot mess. First, the interviews are coordinated by a bot, which seems to just throw employees into interviews depending on their calendar availabilities, I assume. I had multiple reschedules and different people swapping in and out. The email gives you topics that will be discussed for that specific interview, which is probably supposed to help you prepare for it, but most the interviewers didn't ask much about the topic and went off on rants about something else. They seemed to repeat similar questions across interviews as if no communication was happening within the team.

The "technical" part of the interview was laughable, as the employees in my field were clearly not familiar with new trends and technologies within L&D and I found myself explaining multiple times information they should already know or at least heard of. In one of my interviews, the interviewers were dropping f-bombs and vulgarities as if we were at the bar on a Friday night. Not exactly how I would want to portray the company I work for, but to each their own. The employees that interviewed me clearly were not familiar with interviewing techniques and asked really overused questions such as "What are your strengths and weaknesses?" and "How have you dealt with a difficult client?". These are old and tired questions which tell you nothing about the interviewee and should be killed with fire.

After getting passed over after the fourth interview, I asked for feedback in which I received none except the rejection email telling me how talented I was but the team decided to not move forward with my application and to join their LinkedIn group.

Overall, I get the feeling you would want to work here if you love the game. If you expect to gain more experience/knowledge/promotions, it probably was not going to happen. After reflecting on the interviews the day after my rejection, I was actually glad they decided to pass me over as I feel this would have been career suicide compared to where I am now.

tldr; Interviewing here was/is a waste of time. Dodged a bullet.

Interview Questions

• "Who is your favorite champion?" and then
      (Insert all the overused and tired interview questions here).   Answer Question