Riot Games Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Riot Games Interview Questions

Updated Feb 9, 2018

3.2

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Riot Games.

Interview

Some phone screens followed by on-site interviews. Phone screens were more focused on probability-type brain teasers, while on-site interviews were more focused on cases and typical behavioral type questions. People were generally quite nice, but frequently late / absent to an unprofessional degree. At one point, I was sitting in my interview room alone for an hour due to last-minute rescheduling. Not to mention a pretty tremendous oversight by my recruiter in helping me to prepare.

I suggest that you practice a lot of cases before going out. All sorts of cases. Prep as if you are interviewing for consulting. Structure is valued more than creativity. To Riot's credit, they are very upfront about what they are looking for and aren't going for a bait and switch. They are genuinely striving to hire good fits.

My other advice for potential interviewees is to consider this as a business-oriented role first and foremost. Be realistic about how the role could fit into your professional development, and avoid overweighting your decision to expected personal fulfillment. As a player, I was under the illusion that the position related more to game development (such as balancing) but it was made clear to me on-site that everything comes down to the bottom-line. Not that anyone misled me; this was made clear through the cases, but really driven home by a somewhat aggressive interview where, in retrospect, I feel that I was fished for new revenue ideas. I've noticed this trend at other companies - and have friends who have corroborated this sentiment - and it isn't a good feeling.

I didn't get an offer, but if you do you should definitely consider - even as a huge fan/player of the game, what if you were to grow out of it or move on to another game? Well, there'd you'd be, working day after day in the absence of what was probably your largest motivation to join in the first place- your genuine passion for the game/community. At the same time, leaving Riot is an uphill battle due to both the general sense of complacency/comfort there, and negative associations from potential employers of working at a video game company. Several of my interviewers - whether explicitly or through their actions/demeanor - made it clear that this was the sort of position they were now in. Several of them talked openly about how they no longer play and moved on to other games - probably because it's so normal to have such conversations at Riot, that they had no sense of applying a filter around interviewees who might be shocked by this sort of talk. This creates a dilemma for Riot - either hire businessy-people with little attachment to the actual gameplay/community, or hire actual players who may actually be overly committed to the player experience to the extent that it may disrupt the natural order of business. Really consider your motivations for accepting a potential offer: Riot has all the pressures and prioritization concerns of any business.

Hiring manager had very nice things to say and some constructive feedback about how I can approach the interview process better in the future, but after thinking it over, I have decided against reapplying. I was hoping to join Riot to apply analytical skills outside of a typical business mentality, but the interview process made it clear that this expectation was unrealistic. I am certain that many people thrive, both personally and professionally, at Riot - but there are also others who have clearly lost their spark along the way.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you disagreed with someone and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Sound Designer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Riot Games.

Interview

There were two phone calls, which were followed by a full day of on-site interview panels. There were 5 panels, each with two people on them. Each panel interviewed for a different topic.

Interview Questions

• If there was a problem in your studio, how would you go about addressing it?   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Riot Games (New York, NY) in January 2018.

Interview

The first interview is a phone interview. The manager asked me what games played recently, what season 8 rank played, what favorite champions, past work in my university, access to large database experience, when to use Python and R.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Riot Games (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Extremely informal - lots of swear words used, yet you will be harshly and critically evaluated along extremely subjective criteria. Much like League of Legends, a few toxic trolls ruin an otherwise excellent discussion about video games.

NOC Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Riot Games.

Interview

I applied online and completed a couple of interviews. The process started off great. Sable set up the interview for me. She was very welcoming and genuine. She seemed very passionate about getting new players into League. My first interview was with Jenny, and it went very smoothly! Jenny was very personable and professional. But my last interview left a bad taste in my mouth. The gentlemen who interviewed me (I don't remember his name) created a scenario and asked how I would handle the situation. He went on to drop F bombs (as apart of the scenario) and I felt that was inappropriate. He wanted to create a high pressure situation by snapping back at every single answer I gave. I understand that Riot has a relaxed work environment but it actually just made me more nervous that someone was yelling at me (and swearing) during a job interview.

I was barely asked any technical question that would align with the duties of a NOC Analyst instead they asked opinionated questions like "If you couldn't work for Riot what other company would you work for?"

The feedback I received in my rejection letter was unhelpful. I was told that I rushed through the questions. It was clear that Riot had never taken the time to evaluate my actual knowledge or skills.

I was not rejected for lack of skills or qualification, but because I did not work well with someone yelling at me.

Interview Questions

• You are working on Christmas with no staff. A bug has been reported. Do you patch the game over the holiday weekend or do you wait until Monday when the rest of the staff comes in?   1 Answer

Insight Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Riot Games.

Interview

Applied online, was contacted for a phone interview by a member of the insights team. Went into the standard "tell me about yourself", and then some basic technical questions. Pretty positive experience overall.

Interview Questions

• They asked some pretty easy questions at first, using League characters. For example: A bat and a ball cost $1.10 in total. The bat costs $1.00 more than the ball. How much does the ball cost? (Replacing some words to involve Trundle)   Answer Question

Ecommerce Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Riot Games.

Interview

Recruiter was incredibly nice, but also impossible to hear. Just make sure to let them know if you can't hear them. There were only a couple behavioral and then 5 calculation questions, to my surprise.

Interview Questions

• Why Riot, why ecommerce, tell me about yourself... then some probability/expected value questions (pretty basic)   Answer Question

Work Place Experience Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Riot Games (Los Angeles, CA) in November 2017.

Interview

Both my first and second screening interviews were done through google and the first was great. I was super excited to have the opportunity to interview as I am with an company who is willing to take time out to get to know me! It was a very thorough and detailed chat and I felt comfortable and challenged. I was excited to go onto the second but boy was I wrong.

The follow up, I wish I would have stopped and just said no thank you the moment one of them started yawning excessively and rolling his eyes. HELLO!? We're on chat not the phone!!! I can see everything. Not only was it offensive but it contradicted the very reason they were beginning this position. It was beyond rude, condescending and dismissive.

A little advice, be more courteous to people. At the end of the day we're all human beings. So what- I am NOT an avid gamer. So what if you just didn't like me and you immediately knew I wouldn't be the right fit- maybe learn some manners.

Insight Analyst Interview

Interview

Was late/forgot about the interview, and had to reschedule the interview with me for a later date. Ended up sitting at my computer waiting for a google hangout call for 30 minutes or so.

Interview Questions

• Imagine there are 1,000 players who each play 3 games, but not against each other. Suppose that winning is based on the flip of a fair coin. How many players do you expect to have 3 game win streaks?   2 Answers

SWE Interview

Application

Interview

After Online Assessment a recruiter called me. A short culture-fit phone interview. He asked me about what games I am playing and other stuffs about games. No tech questions. Maybe they only what to hire LOL players...