SpaceX Test Operations Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 3, 2018

4.2

4 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waco, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at SpaceX (Waco, TX) in February 2016.

Interview

Started with an easy, somewhat technical phone interview with HR which then progressed to another easy, somewhat technical phone interview with an engineering manager. This second phone interview was called a technical phone interview, but was not very technical. I was then invited to an onsite interview in Waco, TX. I was given a tour of the facility which was amazing and I even was able to witness a Merlin test fire. The onsite interview was very difficult and technical. I was asked many questions that required me to think on my feet and draw on topics that I learned a a year or two ago during my coursework.

Interview Questions

• Prove that hoop stress is twice the longitudinal stress in a cylindrical pressure vessel   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for SpaceX

Anonymous Employee in McGregor, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at SpaceX (McGregor, TX).

Interview

Phone Interview #1: Spoke with HR rep and discussed my resume in great detail and discussed extra curricular activities not listed on my resume.

Phone Interview #2: Spoke with hiring manager and 2 lead engineers. Discussed my resume in great detail and in a highly technical manner. Discussed previous RnD work/experience. They asked some thermal/fluids questions.

In-person interview #1: Met with hiring manager and lead engineers. 15-20 minute presentation on previous RnD work from graduate school. Discussed my presentation and the work that I did for an additional 20-30 minutes. They asked some more in depth thermal/fluid, propulsion and theoretical engineering questions.

In-person interview #2: Met with a few more lead engineers. 15-20 minute presentation on previous RnD work from graduate school. Discussed my presentation and the work that I did for an additional 20-30 minutes. They asked some more in depth thermal/fluid, propulsion and theoretical engineering questions.

In-person interview #3: Met with site director and discussed SpaceX, my potential with the company and why I would be a good fit there. Discussed some parts of my resume as well.

In-person interview #4: Met with HR rep and went over potential benefits packages and what the next steps would be if I were to get a job offer.

Interview Questions

• What makes you different from every other engineer that applies to SpaceX   1 Answer

Test Operations Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at SpaceX in July 2016.

Interview

The start was a typical phone interview with HR followed by a phone interview with a technical manager. Then I was flown out to the job site for a site tour and an in-person interview. The in-person interview was a lot more technical, going into details about my past experience and gauging the extent of my knowledge.

Interview Questions

• Q: What problems did you encounter? How did you solve them?
      Q: How do you deal with disagreement on the team?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in McGregor, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at SpaceX (McGregor, TX) in September 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter and had a 30-minute phone call to get an idea for which group I would fit best. About a week later, I had a 30-minute phone interview with the lead engineer for the group I would be working with. He asked about my resume, then asked a few technical engineering questions, and then let me ask questions and told me about the job. After a few days, they set up a second interview with another engineer on that team. It was also about 30 minutes, but he jumped right into technical questions to gauge my engineering knowledge. There was a little bit of time at the end for questions. A little under a week later, I got a call from the original recruiter offering me the position.

Interview Questions

• Be able to talk about your background, problems you've tackled before, and you solved them. Know your fundamentals regarding whatever position you're applying for. For mechanical-type jobs, know basic structures, fluids, heat transfer, etc.   Answer Question